"If You’ve Got A Business — You Didn’t Build That"

I will argue with facts, not out-of-context deliberate misinterpretations. I also won't call you a Romney fanboy or accuse you of stalking me, and maybe I won't even mention the ODS. :lol:

http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/world-news/us-economy-proves-resilient-adds-163000-jobs-in-july-unemployment-rises-to-8.3-pct.html

That's the problem with you lefties... You are so easily misled by facts.

Here's some more facts for you:

1. The US population grows by about 2.5 - 3M per year. So there are around 7M more people in the US during the time those 4.5M jobs were created. I believe the guesstimate is that there has to be 100-150k jobs added per month (ie. 2.9 - 4.35M over 29mo) for unemployment to remain stagnant.

2. January 2009 was near the bottom of the recession in which the private sector lost millions of jobs. In fact, the private sector lost 101k jobs in Aug 2008, 167k in Sept 2008, 263k in Oct 2008, 540k in Nov 2008, and 531k in Dec 2008, totalling over 1.6M jobs (meanwhile from Aug 2008 to Dec 2008, government jobs increased by 63k, and the "health and education" component of the private sector increased by 198k). Essentially, most of the private sector jobs that were "added" in the past 29 months are jobs that were lost due to the recession, or subsidized "private sector" jobs in Obama's favourite industries.

3. Private payrolls are significantly higher for nearly every US president in history due to the US's abnormally high population growth (among industrialized nations), and 4 year presidential terms. If you lose jobs after the population expands by 10-12M people, then you must have done something seriously wrong.

4. When Obama took office in Jan 2009, there was a 234M civilian noninstitutional population, 154M labour force (65.8% participation rate), with 143M employed (22.5M of which were in government) and a 7.2% unemployment rate. Currently, there is a 243M civilian noninstitutional population, 155M labour force (63.7% participation rate), with 142M employed (20M of which were in government), and an 8.3% unemployment rate. The unemployment rate has risen and the labour force participation rate has decreased. There are still 1M less people employed now than when Obama took office.

5. Since Obamacare was signed into effect in March 2010 (coincidentally, just before the 29 month time horizon that your article quotes), the private sector has been forced to "create" approximately 850k (over 1/5th of the 4.5M) "private" jobs in the health care & social assistance category:

Source for all of the above: http://www.bls.gov/schedule/archives/empsit_nr.htm

Now if you ever bothered to look into the facts yourself, rather than letting journalists tell you the facts, you'd see that outside of the financial services and automotive manufacturing sectors recovering due to bailouts, and the health care sector benefiting from subsidies, private sector job growth has been stagnant at best.

Edited by CPCFTW

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's why they're printing shirts and running ads based on it.

Just wait until the fall. You'll see even more of it.

If they're that stupid, then they've lost the election already. Not even the democrats were dumb enough to continue running with the "I like to fire people" out of context junk politics. They're both the exact same thing. So it's pretty hypocritical for you to cry "out of context" about one, then hang onto the other. They're both stupid attacks that anyone with two braincells to rub together can see are the worst kind of gutter politics.

That's the problem with you lefties... You are so easily misled by facts.

Now if you ever bothered to look into the facts yourself, rather than letting journalists tell you the facts, you'd see that outside of the financial services and automotive manufacturing sectors recovering due to bailouts, and the health care sector benefiting from subsidies, private sector job growth has been stagnant at best.

fun facts, hey! I guess your... stagnant at best... is a relative term - yes?... this linked graphic presents a clear delineation between Bush & Obama and overall jobs (light colour bar) versus private sector jobs (darker colour bar).

- fun fact #1 shows that in Obama presidency years, private sector job creation was/is greater than the number of jobs created in the overall economy... yet... the opposite was the case in Bush presidency years, where in every year of the Bush presidency, private sector job creation was less than the number of jobs created overall.

- fun fact #2 shows that in the 7 months of 2012, job growth within the Obama presidency outpaces the first 3 years of the Bush presidency - combined!

- fun fact #3 shows that since January 2012, within the Obama presidency, more jobs have been created than in 5 of the 8 years of the Bush presidency.

"I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there."

Believe it or not Mr. President, there are some people that are smarter than others regarding creating and running businesses, and it doesn't mean they didn't build their business.

"It must be because I worked harder than everybody else."

Believe it or not Mr. President, there are people that work harder than others, and that doesn't mean they didn't build their business.

Honestly, has anyone ever heard a president talk like this? Essentially mocking people that have built businesses, who think they're farily smart or business savy, and work fairly hard? :blink:

These are the key quotes, IMV.

-----

But imagine if FDR had given a similar speech in the midst of World War II: "Individual effort doesn't matter. Someone else has probably done more, and anyway, it's the collective effort that counts most of all. Soldiers don't win wars, but armies do!"

---

Long ago, I wondered who defeated the Nazis. History books told me that that Soviet Army did. Then I read Tolstoi and understood that individuals make history. I realized that individual soldiers defeated Hitler: a navigator in a Lancaster, a tank commander near Kursk.

Obama may be cool, but apparently - unlike Jimmy Carter - he hasn't read Tolstoi.

These are the key quotes, IMV.

----

And, once again, the quote for those who haven't seen it in its entirety and so no one will be taken in my August's terrible take on it:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

"So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the G.I. Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

For those who want the tone then I suggest you start listening around 32 minutes here.

And, once again, the quote for those who haven't seen it in its entirety and so no one will be taken in my August's terrible take on it:

For those who want the tone then I suggest you start listening around 32 minutes here.

If you want my take on it(since you asked!) I think that every single person in the US enjoys the benefits of the roads, bridges and the system that encourages business to flourish. But all people are not equal. Some are dumber than rocks, some are as smart as rocket scientists. Some do not have the constitution to take the great risk of starting a business up from the ground. Some start out very rich and could afford to fail many times before they suceed.

In short, the president makes some reasonable points, but to conclude that people that build businsesses didn't do it on their own is deeply flawed. Whose name is it on the bank loan that takes the risk, betting one's future on an idea?

In short, the president makes some reasonable points, but to conclude that people that build businsesses didn't do it on their own is deeply flawed.

What is deeply flawed is your idea that he concluded that. Remember when he said "We succeed because of our individual initiative."?

Funny how that phrase didn't show up anywhere on Foxnews, isn't it?

Quoting what someone said isn't and excuse Shady. You really are the worst eh?

The guys lies and posts the most ridiculous nonsense. He's a caricature of the Right and would be shunned by actual politicians on the Right if he were involved politically. Argus had him pegged in that post where he described him. I really don't know why we keep validating his idiocy with responses.

The guys lies and posts the most ridiculous nonsense. He's a caricature of the Right and would be shunned by actual politicians on the Right if he were involved politically. Argus had him pegged in that post where he described him. I really don't know why we keep validating his idiocy with responses.

Nonsense. I guess when Obama mocks people for "thinking they're so smart or work hard" is a "lie" too huh? In fact, he actually says that he's amazed by people who think they're smart or work hard. The truth hurts eh?

Nonsense. I guess when Obama mocks people for "thinking they're so smart or work hard" is a "lie" too huh? In fact, he actually says that he's amazed by people who think they're smart or work hard. The truth hurts eh?

Shady you have really come lose this last year. Like there was a time when your posts were coherent even backed by fact. Now you live in your own little world where you imagine what happen in the real which is really sad.

Shady you have really come lose this last year. Like there was a time when your posts were coherent even backed by fact. Now you live in your own little world where you imagine what happen in the real which is really sad.

Really? Cause it's right from his speech.

If you want my take on it(since you asked!) I think that every single person in the US enjoys the benefits of the roads, bridges and the system that encourages business to flourish. But all people are not equal. Some are dumber than rocks, some are as smart as rocket scientists. Some do not have the constitution to take the great risk of starting a business up from the ground. Some start out very rich and could afford to fail many times before they suceed.

In short, the president makes some reasonable points, but to conclude that people that build businsesses didn't do it on their own is deeply flawed. Whose name is it on the bank loan that takes the risk, betting one's future on an idea?

The reading comprehension skills in these forums is abominable.

Obama even gave you the conclusion of his point:

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

I think it's fair to state that for yourself, Shady, and August, none of you ever had a "great teacher somewhere in your life." :P

Edited by msj

Really? Cause it's right from his speech.

Keep saying that to yourself Shady. Maybe if you say it enough, your belief will go back in time and change the rest of the speech for you so you don't have to deal with the fact what the message of his speech was much much different then your claim. Maybe your belief will then change what the fact checkers are saying about your lie. Maybe just maybe just maybe Obama wont open up a 7 point lead the weeks after that is the only thing your side has focused on.

I don't think it is will but maybe if your believe in your own head enough.

Edited by punked

I think it's fair to state that for yourself, Shady, and August, none of you ever had a "great teacher somewhere in your life." :P

It's real tough to understand the point when the speaker says "the point is..." :rolleyes:

I will because it's true. But you're right in a sense. In the same speech Obama contradicts himself several times. Making many assertions that are the opposite of each other.

Keep repeating the lie. You got a problem though the left learned during Kerry. When you repeat the lie all we have to do is call it a lie instead of ignore it and it becomes much easier for people to see it is a lie. Again fact checkers say what you are saying is a lie sooo....

Keep repeating the lie. You got a problem though the left learned during Kerry. When you repeat the lie all we have to do is call it a lie instead of ignore it and it becomes much easier for people to see it is a lie. Again fact checkers say what you are saying is a lie sooo....

Sure punked. When you don't like the truth, you call it a lie. Very Orwellian.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

Obama's quote above sounds reasonable, but when you analyze it, it is incomplete at best. What does he mean by the phrase, "we do things together? How is he applying this in the business world?

In the past when he's been called on something he said, he responds with the trite attitude that they are only words, etc. Words mean something. Someone who is president or running to win the office knows full well that even one single sentence could change their presidency or campaign. So to say in a speech if you've got a business, you didn't build that, or people cling to their guns and religion, or his spread the wealth around comment, these statements reveal the mindset of the man. You either like his mindset or you don't, I guess.

So to say in a speech if you've got a business, you didn't build that, or people cling to their guns and religion, or his spread the wealth around comment, these statements reveal the mindset of the man. You either like his mindset or you don't, I guess.

I won't bother to debate with people who are too dishonest to quote in context. Instead, I'll ask you why do you think Romney enjoys firing people so much? Is it because he enjoys the power or because he likes to see their children suffer?

I won't bother to debate with people who are too dishonest to quote in context. Instead, I'll ask you why do you think Romney enjoys firing people so much? Is it because he enjoys the power or because he likes to see their children suffer?

Your fanboyism can't take it huh? Hearing his exact own words.

He also, according to his own words, has no concern for the Poor in America.