"If You’ve Got A Business — You Didn’t Build That"

I don't think anyone has raised Romney into the status of demi-God, incapable of error. Yet many Obama supporters seem to have done exactly that.

To me, Obama is a routine politician with a nice voice. In the context of US politics, he said something stupid. It happens.

But the key question is how the independents will see the remark.

Good point. I don't think independents will see it in a positive light. But I guess it remains to be seen. I also agree that it's simply amazing that some people can't admit to the obvious gaffe. I guess once somebody's an Obamabot, they're always an Obamabot.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree that it's simply amazing that some people can't admit to the obvious gaffe.

What was the obvious gaffe?

I was just amazed that you outright denied that he was talking about bridges and roads, when it's clear as day on the video. Did you not know about that because you only read right-wing news sources or were you just lying?

I was just amazed that you outright denied that he was talking about bridges and roads, when it's clear as day on the video. Did you not know about that because you only read right-wing news sources or were you just lying?

Come on all you have to do is go over to the lying thread to see Shady is what he is talking about. Someone who refuses to admit he is wrong or that the side he chooses to support could possibly be lying. He is the problem he talks about.

I'm amazed that you still think its about bridges and roads. Come'on man.

No, those of us that are smart enough know that what he said was what he believes.

What he said is what he believes. That's why he said it, I would assume. What he said however, has nothing to do with diminishing individual success, or with a belief in statism. You're misquoting him and you know it.

Shady almost everyone in this thread has already said they know he was talking about roads and bridges. Seeing as you are one of the few that keep pushing this lie. Have you ever thought it amazing EVERYONE else that you keep pushing it hoping everyone else starts believing it?

Facts are stubborn things. You can't just change what he said to suit what you wish he had said. But like the PPP poll released yesterday that had Obama ahead of Romney 53 to 39 in Michigan, when reality doesn't suit you, deny it.

I guess you learned something from the climate change debate. :lol:

Facts are stubborn things. You can't just change what he said to suit what you wish he had said. But like the PPP poll released yesterday that had Obama ahead of Romney 53 to 39 in Michigan, when reality doesn't suit you, deny it.

I guess you learned something from the climate change debate. :lol:

Well there is a whole society like that out there. They are North Korea and I am sure Shady would fit in quite well there.

But it was about bridges and roads and everything else related to the development of a nation that came before the business.

Actually, in most instances, its roads and bridges that are the result of business activity, or other activity for that matter. Anyways, it all comes down to whom you give ultimate credit for good ideas regarding new or existing goods and services, and the success of particular businesses. Obama likes to downplay the individual and overemphasize the state. Which is par for the course from him. He's a statist.

Actually, in most instances, its roads and bridges that are the result of business activity, or other activity for that matter.

I guess the attempt to deny he was talking about roads and bridges was failing, due to overwhelming video evidence. Now it's some half-assed attempt to credit the building of roads and bridges to anybody but the people who built the roads and bridges. :lol:

Edited by BubberMiley

Actually, in most instances, its roads and bridges that are the result of business activity, or other activity for that matter.

That's right. Maybe you're finally getting it? Individuals do not live in a vacuum. All of society builds on all other parts of society. That which came before shapes that which is to come. It's that simple.

That's right. Maybe you're finally getting it? Individuals do not live in a vacuum. All of society builds on all other parts of society. That which came before shapes that which is to come. It's that simple.

It's a false argument. Nobody had said otherwise. But it's about who gets credit for their own good ideas and/or hard work. Get it now?

It's a false argument. Nobody had said otherwise. But it's about who gets credit for their own good ideas and/or hard work. Get it now?

It wasn't an argument; it was a statement of fact. So why are you trying to take away credit to those whose hard work created the infrastructure we all use to engage in the marketplace?

And BTW, where's the apology for lying by saying he wasn't talking about roads and bridges? :lol:

It's a false argument. Nobody had said otherwise.

Oh yes they have, and you know it. Obama was simply reminding people of the reality that no business is an island, and that your success in any egalitarian democracy is always aided by the work of others.

Oh yes they have, and you know it. Obama was simply reminding people of the reality that no business is an island, and that your success in any egalitarian democracy is always aided by the work of others.

No, he was playing up his usual class warfare. One could apply the ridiculous roads and bridges to anything anybody does in their entire life. It's an asinine argument, poorly stated by him. "You've got a business? You didn't build that, somebody else made that happen" is complete obsurdity and you know it!

No, he was playing up his usual class warfare.

How did it have anything to do with "class?" The only ones engaging in class warfare are the Republicans. They are doing so by (a) constantly bringing up "class warfare" in a clumsy attempt to redefine the conversation; and by (B) encouraging the election campaign to be a competition of who can be the most "classless."

No, he was playing up his usual class warfare. One could apply the ridiculous roads and bridges to anything anybody does in their entire life.

That's right, they could, and they'd be right. Everything that happens is partially a result of the things that were built and are there to support.

"You've got a business? You didn't build that, somebody else made that happen" is complete obsurdity and you know it!

You absolutely refuse to accept that that "that" was a reference to infrastructure, don't you. You will continue to excerpt out the context until the Republicans lose the election campaign. :lol:

You absolutely refuse to accept that that "that" was a reference to infrastructure, don't you. You will continue to excerpt out the context until the Republicans lose the election campaign. :lol:

You absolutely refuse to accept the fact that roads done build successful businesses. People do. It was the usual class warfare politics playing by Obama to make people believe they're entitled to more of the fruits of other peoples labour.

You absolutely refuse to accept the fact that roads done build successful businesses. People do.

That doesn't even make any sense. I would ask you "Do you not recognize the vital role a healthy infrastructure has in a vital economy?" but I would feel like I'm falling for troll bait.

ICYMI, you need to watch Jon Stewart's monologue yesterday on this topic.

Here's the link: http://watch.ctv.ca/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart/latest-episodes/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-ep-17129-july-25-2012/#clip728037

This clip shows that only an absolute moron would think that Obama meant "If you've got a business, you didn't build that."

Pay particular attention from 5:00 on.

If you're really pressed for time just watch from 9:15 to the end.

Edited by cybercoma

grade school marxism, or as your second grade teacher called it, "sharing."
:D

I didn't realize how disingenuous the right was being until I saw this, as I hadn't see the speech before. And the left just falls into their trap by taking them seriously instead of just laughing at how stupid they are. Good for Stewart.

:D

I didn't realize how disingenuous the right was being until I saw this, as I hadn't see the speech before. And the left just falls into their trap by taking them seriously instead of just laughing at how stupid they are. Good for Stewart.

The sad reality is that there are people that would watch FOX news and be completely misinformed about the topic. Rather than being disingenuous, as the reporters and political strategists are being, the viewers are simply ignorant. At best it's irresponsible journalism, realistically it's dangerous propaganda that's shaping public opinion.