"If You’ve Got A Business — You Didn’t Build That"

Of course he isn't always talking about roads and bridges, but he was clearly talking about them when he said "you didn't build that." Of course, you and your ilk were too dishonest to include that portion in your quotation, and the video you posted edited it out. Then you tried to deny that he was talking about that at all, but walked that back in the face of overwhelming evidence. When Romney loses, I think the GOP might want to re-evaluate whether spending the whole campaign talking about misleading, out-of-context snippets of text is a good election strategy. :lol:

Yeah, like when he mocked people for thinking "they're smart and work hard.". That was a reference to roads eg? :rolleyes:

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shady, notice how Mitt's campaign isn't hanging on to your argument? You know why? Because it's stupid. Stop playing the fool.

Yeah, that's why they're printing shirts and running ads based on it.

Just wait until the fall. You'll see even more of it.

I am a business person (albeit in Canada) and I think this is a load of crap. Sure I have worked hard and have taken some risks. I am very fortunate to be on the successful side of those risks.

I do not watch Fox news. I have seen the speech. I never suggested that people ought not to be mindful of the good fortune they have received. In fact, I made it a point to say the very opposite of all those things in my posts. What I did say, is that there are things I do not like about the way Obama has put it. That the tone of the argument just rubs me wrong personally. In one breath he mentions people who agree with him, and in the next those who think they are so smart. I may be wrong, but I get the sense he is making some kind of connection there. And that is all I am saying here, that this is what I get from the comments. Who are you to tell me my feelings about Obama's comments are crap?

Where in my posts did I ever say that giving credit to others was an insult?

Edited by jefferiah

I agree. How dare someone say that the people who actually built roads are the ones who actually built roads.

That's a stretch. What he said was, if you've got a business you didn't build that. That's certainly not the same as saying you didn't build roads. Unless by "that" he was referring to roads. If you've got a business, you didn't build roads???? Ah yes, maybe thats what he was saying.

Edited by jefferiah

That's a stretch. What he said was, if you've got a business you didn't build that. That's certainly not the same as saying you didn't build roads. Unless by "that" he was referring to roads.

I would suggest you watch the unedited video. You will see that when he said "you didn't build that", he was clearly referring to roads and bridges.

Then you will feel stupid for getting your news from Foxnews and Shady. :lol:

I would suggest you watch the unedited video. You will see that when he said "you didn't build that", he was clearly referring to roads and bridges.

LOL, yeah, when he said "you've got a business, you didn't build that", he was referring to roads.

Keep spinning! :lol:

Once again, I do not watch Fox news, nor do I get news reports from Shady.

But, the quote is "if youve got a business, you didnt build that". I don't think "that" was referring to roads and bridges.

If you've got a business you didnt build roads and bridges. Hmmm...

Edited by jefferiah

Yep, watch the unedited video. You can hear him mock people for thinking that "they're smart or work hard." But that's also a reference to roads too right? :rolleyes:

But that's also a reference to roads too right? :rolleyes:

Uh..no, it's not. Are you trying to deflect from your obvious attempt to mislead people? I notice you're doing it again in your status update, so it's not that you don't know better from watching Foxnews. You're lying deliberately now.

You'd think if Obama's record was so bad, you wouldn't have to make things up. But continue. His chances for re-election are improving daily. :lol:

Edited by BubberMiley

Uh..no, it's not. Are you trying to deflect from your obvious attempt to mislead people? I notice you're doing it again in your status update, so it's not that you don't know better from watching Foxnews. You're lying deliberately now.

You'd think if Obama's record was so bad, you wouldn't have to make things up. But continue. His chances for re-election are improving daily. :lol:

I'm not making anything up. Watch the unedited video with your own eyes.

Who are you to tell me my feelings about Obama's comments are crap?

Encore, encore!

Now, what I did say was this:

I am a business person (albeit in Canada) and I think this is a load of crap.

Which was in direct response to what you said here:

I myself am not a business person, and I am no financial genius, but I do think in a lot of cases (certainly not all, some people really are very fortunate) entrepreneurs have made a great deal more sacrifice, took greater risks, and worked harder than I have to get their dreams off the ground.

So, no, I was not telling you that your comments about your feelings towards Obama's words were crap.

I was calling what you actually wrote to be crap.

I even gave reasons for why I think it is crap.

Maybe you should address the reasons instead of worrying what I think about your poor down-trodden feelings vis-a-vis Obama's comments?

I'm not making anything up. Watch the unedited video with your own eyes.

I did. I will ask you directly (that I may enjoy the sound of cowardly crickets), what was the phrase immediately preceding "If you've got a business"? Why did you not mention this phrase in the OP? Why do you think the video you posted edited it out?

Encore, encore!

I was calling what you actually wrote to be crap.

What he actually wrote is that he thinks many entrepreneurs work harder than he does. That may well be true, you have no way of knowing.

I think many entrepreneurs do put in the long hours and take a big financial risk to get their businesses off the ground. The ones I've known certainly did. But they do tend to forget, many of them, that they didn't do it by themselves, that they had a whole society supporting their efforts. You only get rich building a business if you take part of the effort of other people and add it to your pile, ie off the work off others. Otherwise you're just a worker who may earn a good income but won't be rich. But, within reason it's a fair bargain - somebody who has the brains and willpower to take the risks and puts in the effort gets part of the value produced by the people who work for him.

But, the people really cleaning up aren't entrepreneurs for the most part. Mitt Romney isn't an entrepreneur, but a job killer. The wizards on wall street are just gamblers that have fixed the system. CEO's with their bloated pay packages are the same. None of them deserve the outrageous money they earn.

I did. I will ask you directly (that I may enjoy the sound of cowardly crickets), what was the phrase immediately preceding "If you've got a business"? Why did you not mention this phrase in the OP? Why do you think the video you posted edited it out?

Sure, let's look that the preceding phrases.

"There was a great teacher somewhere in your life"

Yep, there could have been. Doesn't mean somebody isn't responsible for building their business.

"Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive"

Yep. Somebody including the people that build their businesses.

"Somebody invested in roads and bridges."

Yep. Including those people that built their businesses. In fact, usually they pay more taxes that go into building roads than non-business owners/creators. So what? That doesn't mean they didn't build their business.

Now let's look at his words that preceded even those.

"I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there."

Believe it or not Mr. President, there are some people that are smarter than others regarding creating and running businesses, and it doesn't mean they didn't build their business.

"It must be because I worked harder than everybody else."

Believe it or not Mr. President, there are people that work harder than others, and that doesn't mean they didn't build their business.

Honestly, has anyone ever heard a president talk like this? Essentially mocking people that have built businesses, who think they're farily smart or business savy, and work fairly hard? :blink:

You're right. That's probably why he didn't say that. But I don't think your refusal to understand a complete sentence is going to hurt Obama's chances of re-election. :lol:

Oh I know. Just like when he said the private sector is doing fine. That was all just a big misunderstanding too. :rolleyes:

Oh I know. Just like when he said the private sector is doing fine. That was all just a big misunderstanding too. :rolleyes:

No, that was the truth, given the context, which was in relation to the public sector. Nice try at deflecting from your dishonesty though. :lol:

No, that was the truth, given the context, which was in relation to the public sector. Nice try at deflecting from your dishonesty though. :lol:

But even the so-called context of that is wrong. When you compare the unemployment rate between the public and private sectors, the public sector is 2% points lower. You're 0 for 2. I enjoy you're spirited defense of Obams though. You're quite the fan boy!

But even the so-called context of that is wrong. When you compare the unemployment rate between the public and private sectors, the public sector is 2% points lower. You're 0 for 2. I enjoy you're spirited defense of Obams though. You're quite the fan boy!

I will argue with facts, not out-of-context deliberate misinterpretations. I also won't call you a Romney fanboy or accuse you of stalking me, and maybe I won't even mention the ODS. :lol:

The private sector has added 4.5 million jobs in the past 29 months... The economy lost 9,000 government jobs last month and 660,000 over the past two years.

Private companies have picked up part of the slack. In fact, private payrolls are higher now than they were when Obama took office in January 2009.

http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/world-news/us-economy-proves-resilient-adds-163000-jobs-in-july-unemployment-rises-to-8.3-pct.html

Edited by BubberMiley

I will argue with facts, not out-of-context deliberate misinterpretations. I also won't call you a Romney fanboy or accuse you of stalking me, and maybe I won't even mention the ODS. :lol:

http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/world-news/us-economy-proves-resilient-adds-163000-jobs-in-july-unemployment-rises-to-8.3-pct.html

You do realize that the job growth you've cited barely keeps up with population growth right? And unemployment has been above 8% for a record 41 consecutive months, and the unemployment rate went up by .1% this month. Is this what you're citing as proof the private sector is doing fine?

:blink:

And if you wanna talk facts about the public vs private sector...

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate for government workers last month was just 4.2 percent (up slightly from 3.9 percent a year ago). Compare that to private-sector industries such as construction (14.2 percent unemployment), leisure and hospitality services (9.7 percent), agriculture (9.5 percent), professional and business services (8.5 percent) and wholesale and retail trade (8.1 percent).

Washington Post

Did you read that? Do you know the difference between 4.2% public sector unemployment rate vs the private sector unemployment rate? Yeah, that's what I thought. Now get outta here before I smack you down again. :angry:

Now get outta here before I smack you down again. :angry:

I can see why you would be frustrated that the public sector has shrunk under Obama. Especially considering how much it grew under Reagan. Therefore, I guess you are not allowed to be aware of the most recent figures provided by the source cited in the Post opinion piece, which indicate the public sector unemployment rate for July 2012 is 5.9% (which most people would consider a bad thing, not a good thing).

The reality is, the private sector is larger and the public sector is smaller since Obama took office. You can get all macho and pretend you're smacking me down, but you only look as delusional as you do when you try to claim Obama was talking about businesses when he said "You didn't build that." Maybe you can accuse me of stalking you, like you usually do when you're embarrassed that you lost an argument. :lol: