Your Toronto Blue Jays

Playoff time and now the Jays will see some good pitching.

Will we get good pitching?

Here is hoping.

For sure, some of the monster hitters will fade in the the playoffs, but the Jays have had production from so many players there is bound to be somebody on their game. That makes it hard on the opposition.

Buerhle as a second lefty out of the pen instead of Loupe is a great option. He can also be used in case a starter struggles early.

Neither is a good option from the bullpen.

Loup has hardly been used since August, because he played like shit and out of a job.

If we have to take a second lefty, take Francis.

But we don't have to...

That was a sad end to Buerhles career with the Jays, let down by his team mates. I did at first not agree with the call to let him play Sunday, but now I think it was the right call. Did not work out, but the right call..

He has been making around $15 to $19m per year for quite a while. he won't get anywhere near that if anybody wants him.

So the Jays starters at season end:

Dickey: one year left for the 40 year old

Buerhle: free agent

Hutchison: cheap, tied up and playing poorly

Estrada: free agent and will want big money and long term at age 32

Price: free agent and will want $25 to $30 milluion for 7 years

Stroman: young, tied up and cheap and playing great.

So we have Dickey, Stroman and Hutchison as starters for 2017. Can we sign some free agents? Players may want to play in Toronto. Will Rogers Corp open the vault?

Not much left on the farm, AA shot the wad to get the team this far.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playoff time and now the Jays will see some good pitching.

Will we get good pitching?

Here is hoping.

For sure, some of the monster hitters will fade in the the playoffs, but the Jays have had production from so many players there is bound to be somebody on their game. That makes it hard on the opposition.

Neither is a good option from the bullpen.

Loup has hardly been used since August, because he played like shit and out of a job.

If we have to take a second lefty, take Francis.

But we don't have to...

That was a sad end to Buerhles career with the Jays, let down by his team mates. I did at first not agree with the call to let him play Sunday, but now I think it was the right call. Did not work out, but the right call..

He has been making around $15 to $19m per year for quite a while. he won't get anywhere near that if anybody wants him.

So the Jays starters at season end:

Dickey: one year left for the 40 year old

Buerhle: free agent

Hutchison: cheap, tied up and playing poorly

Estrada: free agent and will want big money and long term at age 32

Price: free agent and will want $25 to $30 milluion for 7 years

Stroman: young, tied up and cheap and playing great.

So we have Dickey, Stroman and Hutchison as starters for 2017. Can we sign some free agents? Players may want to play in Toronto. Will Rogers Corp open the vault?

Not much left on the farm, AA shot the wad to get the team this far.

These are problems that are left to November and beyond. This team is built to win right now.

I suspect Osuna or Sanchez can try and start. If they Jays do well in the playoffs, Free Agents will want to come here.

Keep in mind though, the team has a decision with Devon Travis and Ryan Goins as well as Smoak and Collabello as well as Saunders (they have a great Left fielder now). They do have some more trade bait they can use if they need a mid level starter.

Edited by Boges

They need at least 2 starters by my count, and when did Osuna become a starter in any circumstances?

I am a bit uneasy with him, he has been hit hard in nearly every relief appearance lately.

The Rangers will not be a pushover, they and the Jays are the two hottest teams in the AL since the All Star break.

I

They need at least 2 starters by my count, and when did Osuna become a starter in any circumstances?

I am a bit uneasy with him, he has been hit hard in nearly every relief appearance lately.

The Rangers will not be a pushover, they and the Jays are the two hottest teams in the AL since the All Star break.

I believe Osuna was a starter before he had Tommy John. Sanchez was a competent starter until his injury but Estrada played much better in replacement.

The Rangers are hot, but if we're concerned about the Jays bullpen, then one should be very worried about the Rangers Bullpen. The Jays are the favourite but there won't be any cupcake games from now on.

Stroman is getting the nod in Game 2. Now he is the second best starter, BUT!!! I would have thrown Dickey out in Game 2. Not just because he's pitched better at home but putting him between Price and Stroman may effect the Rangers lineup.

I'm listening to Gibbons on the radio, it looks like Loupe will be on the roster. :unsure:

Gibbons is loyal to his pals, to a fault.

Both Loup and Delabar.

Loup was really good last year, but was truly awful the last half of this year. 2-5, big ERA, big WHIP. He cannot get anybody out and has hardly played for a couple of months. He is about the last reliever I'd put in with the game on the line. It is the only choice I dispute for the roster.

It's not like they haven't been winning at that since like late July. Today is a must win though.

Home team lost every home game so far in the playoffs. Houston won too.

Something to be said about a team that has to play hard to the end to make a playoff spot.

Edited by Boges

I have an issue with spraying champagne just for making it into the playoffs. The celebration by players and fans was disproportionate to what they accomplished. They hadn't won anything and were celebrating like they won it all.

There is a psychological advantage (in my opinion) to the team that says "great, we've come this far, but this is only a small step. We haven't won anything yet"... the team that is just happy to be there isn't going to be there long.

Could this be why they lost the 1st 2 games? Or am I speaking too soon? Maybe they'll have a mighty comeback and I'll look the fool....

Spraying the bubbly after clinching a playoff spot is far less of a sin than poor pitching in Game 1. Price did exactly what he has done before, lose another playoff start. Plus he said something after being traded to Toronto and repeated it after the latest playoff game loss, something about playing for an entire "country" ?

Today's extra-innings loss came at the hands of another pitching miss step, when our long time favorite (and I do mean long time) LaTroy Hawkins took the mound. I knew it was over then.

Good Luck.....

bottom of the ninth, Colabello gets a single with nobody out. Pompey is brought in to run. Pompey stands at first while the Jays make 2 outs.

Why bring him in to run, then not run him?

Jays lose.

Puzzling behaviour.

But not really. Gibbons is in Full Cito Gaston Mode: Wait around for somebody to hit a 3 run homer, instead of Making It Happen, which is how Texas wins.

Edited by overthere

Interesting...will Price start Game 5 in Toronto on two days rest ?

No, It's going to be the Stro Show.

I'd be shocked if Price, deep down, isn't pissed about being put in to relieve Dickey in a blowout game. But Price has been the least impressive starter so far. Stroman deserves the shot to win this game.

The justification for bringing Price in is that, with Cecil out for the year and apparently Loupe was unavailable too, Price was the only Lefty available on a Lefty heavy lineup. Gibby wanted to shut down any chance of a comeback like we saw in Houston earlier in the day.

We'll see if the Toronto hitters can continue to perform against pitchers that aren't the tomato cans they faced on the weekend.

The biggest question of the team this season, being the bullpen, has been a wonderful surprise. Sanchez and Osuna are lockdown.

Edited by Boges

We'd better hope that Stroman goes more than 6 innings. In Game 2 he allowed 4 earned runs vs 2 for Hamels, he'll have to reverse that trend. What a position for a player who was not really expected to play at all this year!

I have no faith in anything beyond an inning each from Sanchez and Osuna. Hawkins, LOwe and especially Loup make my guts clench when they enter a game. The loss of Cecil is major.

We really need to get a good lead early and force the Rangers into catchup. If we get on Hamels early, we will see Gallardo who has been tough to hit all year. A close game does not work in our favour, and we don't really have any long relief options.

We'd better hope that Stroman goes more than 6 innings. In Game 2 he allowed 4 earned runs vs 2 for Hamels, he'll have to reverse that trend. What a position for a player who was not really expected to play at all this year!

I have no faith in anything beyond an inning each from Sanchez and Osuna. Hawkins, LOwe and especially Loup make my guts clench when they enter a game. The loss of Cecil is major.

We really need to get a good lead early and force the Rangers into catchup. If we get on Hamels early, we will see Gallardo who has been tough to hit all year. A close game does not work in our favour, and we don't really have any long relief options.

You're Ignoring Hendricks. He's been pretty good. Gibby said Price won't be available, but I call BS on that. They need to get a lefty out in the 7th, he gets the call. I'd like to know what happened to Loupe (what type of family problem). He has done his job this series.

Short of Hawkins in the 14th, the Jays Bullpen was lockdown Friday. Sadly so were the Rangers.

Even though it's Hammels, it's still a Lefty agains this lineup.

Edited by Boges

I am not ignoring Hendricks, it is that their pen is very thin on quality now for long relief. Correction, they don't have anybody reliable for long relief. Price had 50 pitches yesterday, we won't see him again in this series. I hope he catches more Jays home run balls in the bullpen.

None of their starters are available for long relief.

They really need Stroman to go at least 6.

Loup has been awful this year, which is why he has hardly played at all since August.

The Jays need to be calm and cool, block out the crowd as best they can, and get it done.

One of the best Jays moments this season was the Dickey interview after the game, with Price beside him. It looked to be entirely sincere, and defined the word 'class'. Very refreshing in a world of privileged athletes.

One of the best Jays moments this season was the Dickey interview after the game, with Price beside him. It looked to be entirely sincere, and defined the word 'class'. Very refreshing in a world of privileged athletes.

I fully agree. I also find it interesting that Dickey is making $12 million base salary this year and Price gets at least $20 million.

And my parents forced me to stay in school for a successful career!

Dickey appears a very well read and educated athlete. His statements exclude the usual clichés and jock talk and are really are interesting. Maybe a future politician?

Bob McCowan is speculating that Gibby took Dickey out so early as an insurance policy if Stroman doesn't have it for Game 5.

Normally you couldn't put a pitcher out on a day's rest after pitching 4.2 innings but Dickey's Knuckleball isn't physically taxing.

I am not boasting but that occurred to me too. But... Dickey threw 78 pitches. which precludes him I reckon. Gibbons does have to at least consider what happens if the Jays win today- because they will have games Friday and Saturday in the ALCS. The only starting rotation he has possible for those two are Estrada on normal rest followed by Dickey on short rest. Then he wouldd have both Price and Stroman available on normal rest for games 3 and 4. Not a bad situation overall.

He will stick with Stroman until he cannot, horpefully to the point where he can use Sanchez late, then Osuna. If Stroman fades, we might see Sanchez in early for 2 or three innings, then whomever until Osuna.

He took Dickey out for the reasons he said: with Choo and Beltre coming up both of them had 2 hits already aginst Dickey and strong career numbers. He had already decided not to start Price in Game 5, so might as well get some use out of him in long relief.

Edited by overthere