• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12,347,380 Shafik

13,something

MORSI has won

wow that's a surprise

Daniel Pipes' "rule" on Arab elections (link) is "(i)f you know the result ahead of time, you are voting for the real powerbroker. If you don't know the result in advance, then you are voting for a position that hardly matters."

This is either potentially racist or makes no sense whatsoever. No offence to you, but to the guy who wrote the original quote.

The quote has nothing to do with race. Is it racist if one says that English-speaking countries generally have Parliamentary systems (with the exception of the U.S.)?

There are news of the Greek withdrawing all their money from the banks as it seems that the country will leave the euro and revert to the drachma the value of which will be devalued to almost worthless. Therefore the concrete notes and coins of euro will be hard currency.

Greeks pulled close to a billion out of the banks. IF they don't do something, like return to the drachma, they are going to get pulled down even farther by the Eurozone.

Awesome the Muslim Brotherhood won in Egypt.

Cue people who are mortified when people bring religion into public discourse in the West applaud the result. :lol:

This is the same Muslim Brotherhood that got you Ayman al-Zawahiri. You know the same man who took OBL under his wing. The same Muslim Brotherhood that tried to gun down Nasser. The same Muslim Brotherhood which was on some country's list of terrorist organizations.

They have quite the history of violence. I suspect Egypt will become another country that will have a hard line islamic law put into place.

There is a reason to distrust this group based on their extensive history of violence in Egypt.

U.S. stocks end lower on fear about Europe's debt crisis. Dow drops 138 points. Nasdaq falls 2%. S&P slides 1.6%.

As usually the Brussels Bunglers, and their hapless blundering from bailout to bailout completely fail to inspire any confidence what-so-ever.

We can only hope that the markets destroy the eurozone before the Eurocrats and their doomed currency union destroy more European economies.

Awesome the Muslim Brotherhood won in Egypt.

Cue people who are mortified when people bring religion into public discourse in the West applaud the result. :lol:

At least they're upfront even if our media isn't about their goals. The new capital in Jerusalem could be a bit of a trick. But the closer ties with Iran certainly seems a go right from the start.

This is the same Muslim Brotherhood that got you Ayman al-Zawahiri. You know the same man who took OBL under his wing. The same Muslim Brotherhood that tried to gun down Nasser. The same Muslim Brotherhood which was on some country's list of terrorist organizations.

They have quite the history of violence. I suspect Egypt will become another country that will have a hard line islamic law put into place.

There is a reason to distrust this group based on their extensive history of violence in Egypt.

Especially when they are being propped up by Salafists who are Islamofascist to the core!!!

Great...Just great...

Edited by Jack Weber

Who cares who they elect?

I dont see it making any difference in my life at all, and Egyptians apparently voted for this guy.

True enough. Happened in Germany, too, a few decades back. Perhaps some folks can make money off the Muslim Brotherhood as per Prescott Bush.

Jack: Great..Just great...

Qtub, al-Banna and the Mufti must be having a good chortle.

As usually the Brussels Bunglers, and their hapless blundering from bailout to bailout completely fail to inspire any confidence what-so-ever.

I like that expression "Brussels Bunglers". I couldn't have said it better.

We can only hope that the markets destroy the eurozone before the Eurocrats and their doomed currency union destroy more European economies.

At last, for the first time in years, we agree.

Theres good old godwins law again :lol:

So you believe the Muslim Brotherhood stands for something other than "God is our objective; the Quran is our law, the Prophet is our leader; Jihad is our way; and death for the sake of God is the highest of our aspirations*" ?

So, what do the MB actually stand for, dre? How is their oath different from this one, dre?

I swear to you, Adolf Hitler, as Führer and Chancellor of the German Nation, loyalty and bravery. I vow to you and to my superiors designated by you obedience to the death. So help me God.

* The MB's words. Not mine, dre.

So you believe the Muslim Brotherhood stands for something other than "God is our objective; the Quran is our law, the Prophet is our leader; Jihad is our way; and death for the sake of God is the highest of our aspirations*" ?

So, what do the MB actually stand for, dre? How is their oath different from this one, dre?

I swear to you, Adolf Hitler, as Führer and Chancellor of the German Nation, loyalty and bravery. I vow to you and to my superiors designated by you obedience to the death. So help me God.

* The MB's words. Not mine, dre.

Those statements have completely different meanings. In one Hitler is pledging loyalty, bravery, and obedience to his superiors and to the german people. A rather innocuous statement... you should have dredged up something better.

The MB statement is a little more disturbing. Religious bluster, and martyrdom rhetoric.

The problem is you are cherrypicking one statement made by an organization you know absolutely nothing about. The MB is a movement of loose affiliates, not a political party, and the party in Egypt has been rejected violence since the 1970's and become part of the political process.

I dont see anything that spooky about them. And in any case theyll step into line pretty damn quick once they really how dependant the country is on money from the US.

Those statements have completely different meanings. In one Hitler is pledging loyalty, bravery, and obedience to his superiors and to the german people. A rather innocuous statement... you should have dredged up something better.

The MB statement is a little more disturbing. Religious bluster, and martyrdom rhetoric.

The problem is you are cherrypicking one statement made by an organization you know absolutely nothing about. The MB is a movement of loose affiliates, not a political party, and the party in Egypt has been rejected violence since the 1970's and become part of the political process.

I dont see anything that spooky about them. And in any case theyll step into line pretty damn quick once they really how dependant the country is on money from the US.

And I suppose Tarek Fatah is a bad Muslim, too...lol.

And I suppose Tarek Fatah is a bad Muslim, too...lol.

More nonsense and fear mongering.

The reality is that President Morsi will assume a post that has been rendered almost irrelevant by the military, and will face intense scrutiny from the west at a time when its economy is in the dumps and its heavily dependant on foreign aid.

I think youll see a bit of a shift in the rhetoric but at the end of the day youll basically see a continuation of the status quo.

Heh...I love it.

dre...Muslim Brotherhood apologist.

Hey...I have a request. Can you say something nice about the Khmer Rouge?

Im not apologizing for anyone, im just stating the facts. The party that won in Egypt renounced violence almost 40 years ago, rejected the jihad against the west. The military has only left the president with symbolic powers but theyll suckle up to the American tit just like Mubarak did and step into line.

Im not apologizing for anyone, im just stating the facts. The party that won in Egypt renounced violence almost 40 years ago, rejected the jihad against the west.

Oh that's cool then, politicians never lie. :rolleyes:

I doubt these guys will turn Egypt into Afganistan 2.0 but I worry for the minorities in the country, coptic Christians and such.

But what happens when Sharia Law gets introduced into Egypt or when the MB says that Israel isn't a legit state?

Oh that's cool then, politicians never lie. :rolleyes:

I doubt these guys will turn Egypt into Afganistan 2.0 but I worry for the minorities in the country, coptic Christians and such.

But what happens when Sharia Law gets introduced into Egypt or when the MB says that Israel isn't a legit state?

If Sharia Law happens in Egypt, just look at Afghanistan as an example of what to expect. Afghanistan does have Sharia Law... same form of law under the Taliban. (Maybe less to a degree, but ..