Another Canadian hurt in Mexico

Topaz

Guest American Woman

One detail about this incident continues to bug me.

Anybody here ever been in a fight? This guy has been publicly paraded and twice now has shown his handd to the media. If he beat the shit out of her, hard enough to crush her face. why are his hands unmarked?

That's what's got me really wondering now - how could his hands have remained unmarked - no bruises at all?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

HE wouldnt understand that like you he supports ....OMG OMG Communist China.

So do we all of course, Im using a pen that was made in china.

The horrors....I think I will go flagellate myself. Be right back.

Good point. One needn't travel there to "support" communism.

I've never understood his line of thinking, though - what does the government have to do with the people? Seems to me going to their country, befriending them, supporting them with tourist dollars, is showing "dignity and value for human life" - their lives.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

The hotel video showed him using his feet.

That was just as he was leaving the elevator, not during the attack, and he himself has claimed that he didn't kick her - even as he has confessed to beating her up. Odd, no?

Guest American Woman

I think if you know how to punch, there are ways to do it without damaging your hands (or so said my black-belt karate friend as he made fun of my other friend who broke his hand in a hockey fight).

I don't think someone who had been drinking to the extent that he had and had used drugs and was re-acting out of fear would be of sound enough mind and physical control to be able to pull that off even if he possessed that skill - and when asked about it, he hasn't said that he possesses the skill in way of explanation. He has none.

Now he's claiming he was forced to sign a confession: Accused in beating of Canadian in Mexico says he was forced to sign confession

Things just don't seem to add up.

OK, two details. News reports were that she was found naked on the elvator. No clothes, he claims she got on the elevator naked. No clothes. Where are her clothes? Where was she coming from? If she slipped out of her room for a rendezvous, or even for a late night drink, would she leave her room naked?

Maybe the drugs and booze he took gave him x-ray vision. :o

I'm sure its citizens would do a lot worse if people stopped visiting there as tourists.

Indeed.

Not too much chance that tourism will abate anytime soon though. In fact Cuba is gripped in a tourism boom.

Expect much higher vacation prices next year as tourists continue to flock there in still greater numbers.

Who's to say he vacations in Cuba just to save money? Cuba, from what I've read/seen, is a beautiful island with wonderful people, who have an interesting culture, beautiful music and dance. You think that because their government is communist, they aren't worth visiting? One of my favorite destinations is China. Does that mean I "enthusiastically support communist slavery??" Of course not. I love the country, the people, the culture, all that it has to offer. I've made lasting friendships. I've increased my knowledge. I'm sure Bryan and Capricorn have had many wonderful experiences in Cuba - with more to come just around the corner.

Great post.

I don't think someone who had been drinking to the extent that he had and had used drugs and was re-acting out of fear would be of sound enough mind and physical control to be able to pull that off even if he possessed that skill - and when asked about it, he hasn't said that he possesses the skill in way of explanation. He has none.

Now he's claiming he was forced to sign a confession: Accused in beating of Canadian in Mexico says he was forced to sign confession

Things just don't seem to add up.

Yep, and I'll bet the Canadian's memory of the event is pretty shakey. Too bad there is no camera in the elevator.

Guest American Woman

Yep, and I'll bet the Canadian's memory of the event is pretty shakey. Too bad there is no camera in the elevator.

I was thinking the same thing - in a way, I find it odd that in a five star resort there are no security cameras in the elevators in a city where there have been problems with crime; just having them might be a good preventive measure.

• 2 weeks later...

Who's to say he vacations in Cuba just to save money? Cuba, from what I've read/seen, is a beautiful island with wonderful people, who have an interesting culture, beautiful music and dance. You think that because their government is communist, they aren't worth visiting? One of my favorite destinations is China. Does that mean I "enthusiastically support communist slavery??" Of course not. I love the country, the people, the culture, all that it has to offer. I've made lasting friendships. I've increased my knowledge. I'm sure Bryan and Capricorn have had many wonderful experiences in Cuba - with more to come just around the corner.

It really is a beautiful place. I've gone there three times now, and I love it more each time I go. The people are simply amazing, and the whole island is just gorgeous. Our family has several Cuban friends (both in Canada and in Cuba). It's really neat to see where they grew up, and the culture the grew up with.

I know you weren't asking me, but I enthusiastically recommend Cuba. It definitely is safer than downtown Winnipeg. The vacations cost less than staying home too.

Oh really? Because based on the intentional homicide rate, Cuba is pretty much tied with Winnipeg. Winnipeg is usually around 3.5 - 4 per 100k people. Cuba was at 4.6 the last recorded year (unfortunately, Winnipeg's is probably higher than or equal to that in 2011 and looks like it will be in 2012, although that is atypical), but is generally higher at 5 - 6 per 100k. In actuality, going by that, it seems that Winnipeg's downtown would be safer.

I also find it funny that Winnipegers that claim downtown Winnipeg is unsafe will go hang out in down town Minneapolis, which is far less safe.

Edited by Smallc

Anyone who vacations in Mexico right now with a Drug War going on is stupid to begin with

Please cite an example of a Canadian being killed due to drug related activities in the Mayan Riviera, Cancun or Cozumel.

I'll wait.

Mexico is a very large country, not all of it is full of drug lords.

Please cite an example of a Canadian being killed due to drug related activities in the Mayan Riviera, Cancun or Cozumel.

I'll wait.

Mexico is a very large country, not all of it is full of drug lords.

Is it really worth the risk? Mexico is one of the most violent, corrupt countries on this side of the world

don't tell me that it is still safe to vacation

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=&q=tourist+murders+in+cancun&oq=tourist+murde&aq=1&aqi=g5&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=2397l8236l0l10307l24l21l1l4l4l3l616l2526l2-5.2.0.1l8l0

Edited by olpfan1

Is it really worth the risk? Mexico is one of the most violent, corrupt countries on this side of the world

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=&q=tourist+murders+in+cancun&oq=tourist+murde&aq=1&aqi=g5&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=2397l8236l0l10307l24l21l1l4l4l3l616l2526l2-5.2.0.1l8l0

For tens of thousands of Canadians that go every year it is perfectly safe.

Mexico is in the Top Ten (#10) for global tourism....Canada is not.

Rank    Country         Number of International tourist arrivals
----    -------         ----------------------------------------
1 	France 	        76.80 million
2 	United States 	59.75 million
3 	China 	        55.67 million
4 	Spain 	        52.68 million
5 	Italy 	        43.63 million
6 	United Kingdom 	28.13 million
7 	Turkey 	        27.00 million
8 	Germany 	26.88 million
9 	Malaysia 	24.58 million
10 	Mexico 	        22.40 million