Santorum 2012?

The religious right is doing its part to Spread Santorum, by endorsing Rick Santorum as their choice for Republican nominee.

The anybody-but-Mitt wing of the Republican party has floundered around looking for their savior. Rick Perry! No, wait! Herman Cain! Oops! Newt! So I guess it was just Rick's turn.

The last polls I saw for South Carolina showed Newt polling strong and Santorum plummeting, so this endorsement is probably not off to a good start.

Santorum delivered his speech in New Hampshire standing in front of a black banner with white lettering and an eagle graphic. It made me think of the artwork for the Hunger Games book, which is probably not the best association to make...

-k

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Paul, of course.

But Ron Paul's support doesn't fit in the same category as the rest. The conservative wing of the party isn't going to switch to Ron Paul to defeat Romney. The moderate wing of the party isn't going to switch to Ron Paul to defeat Gingrich or whatever. The Ron Paul supporters aren't going to abandon Ron Paul and jump on some other bandwagon. The Ron Paul support is the Ron Paul support and it exists outside of games of "anybody but Romney" or "we need to pick whoever has the best shot against Obama". It is what it is. It won't be enough to defeat Romney, but it won't go away either.

-k

I had kind of thought that it was too late for Rick, but I haven't been watching too closely. It's Mitt's to win unless something was to change. Mostly I just want Obama out of there and it's been somewhat of a weak field IMO this time out.

Paul seems too extreme in some of his views.

It is too late for Rick.

I guess the next question is - who will be the VP candidate?

It's too late for Paul, too old, too radical, too eccentric, too, too :rolleyes: he's Quixotic, a loose canon,passed his best by date.

Guest American Woman

It's too late for Paul, too old, too radical, too eccentric, too, too :rolleyes: he's Quixotic, a loose canon,passed his best by date.

Oh, I agree it won't be Paul. I've said that from the beginning.

Ron Paul, of course.
Ron Paul may survive through the primaries with his 20% or so vote. Heck, he may even run as an independent.

If he does, the key question is whether his candidacy will affect the result in November. Where does he draw his votes?

I reckon that Paul-voters come equally from Republicans & Democrats but with a larger chunk of non-voters. Paul is a neutral Nader.

Edited by August1991

Ron Paul may survive through the primaries with his 20% or so vote. Heck, he may even run as an independent.

If he does, the key question is whether his candidacy will affect the result in November. Where does he draw his votes?

I reckon that Paul-voters come equally from Republicans & Democrats but with a larger chunk of non-voters. Paul is a neutral Nader.

Movement? Nader?

Paul is certainly a movement, rather in the lower bowel and now at his zenith, his 'nadir' approaches with his baggage.

It's an interesting comparison and Ron Paul has something to say about that. This is from 4 years ago-

Important quote from this video-

Wolf Blitzer- "So you want to stop Obama, is that what you're saying?"

Ron Paul - "Well no, uh, I want to change THE SYSTEM".

Also Nader at 7:55 in the video-

Wolf Blitzer- "It's unrealistic to assume a third party candidate is going to be the POTUS."

Ralph Nader - "No, but we can push the two parties to address what's troubling the American people, economically, politically, socially..."

Edited by Manny

Regarding the OP, Santorum is being propped up by the evangelist right wing as their nominee of choice. It should be pointed out that his position is morally conservative, not politically/ fiscally conservative and this word has been abused at this time to mean something else. When we hear that he is a "conservative" candidate it means he has christian views, or rather views that many christian conservatives agree with.

It does not matter how long she was considered top tier. She simply was. And now she is gone!!

Michele Bachmann was considered top-tier the day she won the Iowa straw-poll. Rick Perry entered the race the very next day and she was not top tier at any time afterward. Finishing with 5% in the Iowa caucus which is as close as she can get to home turf was the end of her road.

Like Ron Paul, Rick Santorum has never been considered top tier in this race, and yet he remains and has proven much stronger than supposed top tier candidates Bachmann, Perry, and Cain.

I will say this much for Santorum: as much as I find some of his views (particularly in regard to the right to privacy) and his statements (his comments about gay people) deplorable... of the remaining candidates, he is the one I find most likeable strictly from a personality standpoint.

I sometimes find Ron Paul very likeable too: he sometimes comes across as a genuine, caring, self-deprecating grandfatherly figure and when he is in that mode he is quite lovable. On the other hand he sometimes comes across as a bit of a fanatic and a guy whose motivation is planted in academic concepts rather than the real world, and when he gets into that mode it is a little off-putting.

Newt Gingrich I just find obnoxious and arrogant. He's clearly a very smart guy, and nobody knows it better than him. He seems compelled to take every opportunity to show off his knowledge and his preparedness, and to me it usually just comes off as a guy saying "hey everybody, look at me, I'm a big fat know-it-all!"

Romney leaves me cold. He's polished, he's slick... everything he says seems pre-meditated to come across as a crowd-pleaser. And while a lot of people probably do find that appealing, I have the opposite reaction... I don't find it genuine or sincere. We've all met people who when they talk we know they're saying stuff they think we'll like rather than stuff they actually feel, and to me Romney comes across that way. Of the four remaining candidates, he is the one who most comes across as a politician, and that's not really intended as a compliment.

Rick Santorum, on the other hand, I find just the opposite. I'm apparently one of the few women in Canada who finds Stephen Harper a likeable guy, but the reason I do is that in some ways he reminds me a lot of my dad. Rick Santorum is in the same vein: he reminds me of a regular guy. He has an authenticity and normalcy that the others lack. Of the four of them, Santorum is the only guy I could imagine as a co-worker or a neighbor. I could never vote for the guy, but of course I'm not their target voter anyway, and wouldn't be even if I were an American.

-k