Harper's conservatives and erosion of Canadian politics

juzt4me

So, Many of us thought the conservatives, now with a majority government would actually become more open and understanding. Turns out it is the opposite, and i will even go as far as saying they are destroying Canadian politics and values. Since when did Canada become such a military junkie? I mean don't get me wrong, i respect troops and soldiers tremendously (having studied military history myself) but this country has prided itself on being a country who promotes peace. Now we're honoring the military at FOOTBALL games? I mean come on. It also seems we are becoming more and more american with each passing day, Obama and Harper are like BFF's, i'd hate to have seen Harper with a majority while Bush was in office. Democracy doesn't even seem to be cared for, what with Harper's debate limits and everything else, and yes, liberal governments have done it too. I'm being very partisan and saying it's annoying either way, but the conservatives are just doing it way too much, whether these bills were debated about before or not, many of them have new clauses, as the conservatives can now do so with a majority. Like the long-gun registry, never was it debated about actually destroying the records before, but hey! let's limit debate anyway! While i do believe there are some good values in conservative governments (i, personally, despise conservative governments) however i'm not one to quickly shun one away. I suppose i'm just disappointed the conservatives are becoming a BETTER government with a majority, instead of ruining it for everyone. I might sound like a rant, but curious on everyone's' thoughts on the subject.

So, Many of us thought the conservatives, now with a majority government would actually become more open and understanding.

Who thought that would happen???

They are just becoming less inclusive and doing the wackjob things they always wanted to do because they don't have to worry about Commons votes or the possibility of an upcoming election. It's too bad, for every good thing they do they do another that's completely nuts.

And you're right, Canada would have turned into a joke had Harper had a majority at the time of Bush's reign. We would have been head-first into Iraq. Oh, the glorious new military power of Canada! :rolleyes:

Since when did Canada become such a military junkie? I mean don't get me wrong, i respect troops and soldiers tremendously (having studied military history myself) but this country has prided itself on being a country who promotes peace. Now we're honoring the military at FOOTBALL games? I mean come on. It also seems we are becoming more and more american with each passing day, Obama and Harper are like BFF's, i'd hate to have seen Harper with a majority while Bush was in office.

I agree. Harper forcing football teams to honour the military was the last straw!!! :lol:

I also noticed you used the American spelling of honour in your anti-America rant... :rolleyes:

Edited by CPCFTW

time is money

if the edia won't covermthe issues then ma6be the opposition should bukd medianyou know communication that people listen to.

these stall limitnthe gocernments rape of opposition values by limiting the amount of law that can be introduced.

fact is though it makes more sense just to do mega omnibuses each day but the fact is they only have so much to do, and it is year 1...

what is left?

its just organizational realignment.

if people can't think for themselves what does it matter. 57 ammendments isn't alot

its the system it is a majority, but no it ain't parliamentary rule as that exists for the benefit of the minority to question the majority.

personally why giv people time to adjust,mjust push them through the ice and let them take a good swim, and make their own minds up, if the conditions are sink or swim.

form your own government if you don't like it.

there is nothing illegal about peaceful overthrow

overthrow bypassive resistance denial of access and self provision

don't waste your breath its the system and the peoplemit breads, you can only dependnon yourse;f to provide for you,

Edited by William Ashley

It's not as if any of the things that the Conservatives are doing are any kind of secret. These are the things they campaigned on. That they have been campaigning on for several elections. Each time out they have garnered more support than the last. Now that they have a majority, they are going about doing the things they promised those people who voted for them that they would do, and that's supposed to be a negative thing?

Even if you disagree with the policies, you have to admit it's a refreshing change to see politicians actually do what they said they'd do.

I suppose i'm just disappointed the conservatives are becoming a BETTER government with a majority

You're disappointed that they are better? I don't understand. You hoped that they'd be bad, but they aren't, and that disappoints you?

Edited by Bryan

It's not as if any of the things that the Conservatives are doing are any kind of secret. These are the things they campaigned on. That they have been campaigning on for several elections. Each time out they have garnered more support than the last. Now that they have a majority, they are going about doing the things they promised those people who voted for them that they would do, and that's supposed to be a negative thing?

Even if you disagree with the policies, you have to admit it's a refreshing change to see politicians actually do what they said they'd do.

You're disappointed that they are better? I don't understand. You hoped that they'd be bad, but they aren't, and that disappoints you?

That's NOT exactly true. The farmer's that were against getting rid of the Wheat Board were told by their MP or Harper that they would have a vote but that turned out NOT to be true and I'm sure, especially if these farmer's fall on hard times because of this decision, Tories MP's will lose votes.

How is this CRAP government better? They have the largest government, largest debt, tell more lies, have more secrets. The ONLY thing they are better at is getting way with breaking moral values and the senate and parliamentary rules and since they own the House, the Speaker, (former reformer), and the senate. So what we have here is a dictatorship and wait til he gets his hands on Healthcare, although he may think twice before doing someting to peeve off Canadians, he probably let the provinces do his dirty work.

time is money

if the edia won't covermthe issues then ma6be the opposition should bukd medianyou know communication that people listen to.

these stall limitnthe gocernments rape of opposition values by limiting the amount of law that can be introduced.

fact is though it makes more sense just to do mega omnibuses each day but the fact is they only have so much to do, and it is year 1...

what is left?

its just organizational realignment.

if people can't think for themselves what does it matter. 57 ammendments isn't alot

its the system it is a majority, but no it ain't parliamentary rule as that exists for the benefit of the minority to question the majority.

personally why giv people time to adjust,mjust push them through the ice and let them take a good swim, and make their own minds up, if the conditions are sink or swim.

form your own government if you don't like it.

there is nothing illegal about peaceful overthrow

overthrow bypassive resistance denial of access and self provision

don't waste your breath its the system and the peoplemit breads, you can only dependnon yourse;f to provide for you,

Post in English please.

Post in English please.

As usual with the Lefties----:blink:

The pope & Prime Minister Harper went fishing and when the pope caught a fish (first time in his life he ever caught anything except well deserved bad press) he got so excited he fell into the water. He thrashed around, screaming " I'm drowning Help me"

PM Harper calmly got out of the boat, walked over to the pope & brought him back to the boat, saving his life.

olp1fan saw this & after using all his intelligence to process what had happened, posted "A national disgrace--- harper can't swim" :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

That's NOT exactly true. The farmer's that were against getting rid of the Wheat Board were told by their MP or Harper that they would have a vote but that turned out NOT to be true and I'm sure, especially if these farmer's fall on hard times because of this decision, Tories MP's will lose votes.

Farmers are being given a choice, whereas before they had none. Many farmers want to stay with the Wheat Board, and no one is stopping them. Those who want freedom have it. The only people who don't get their way are the ones who are trying to force farmers to use the Wheat Board against their will.

Bloody hell, an easterner talking about the "facts" of e wheat board. It was made crystal clear out west that the Tories were going to remove the monopoly. Do you know what happened, rural western Tory mps nabbed more than 50% wins in many cases.

Do you even know how a farm is run? To say that farmers will go broke because there is no monopoly is flat out ignorant.

How is this CRAP government better? They have the largest government, largest debt, tell more lies, have more secrets. The ONLY thing they are better at is getting way with breaking moral values and the senate and parliamentary rules and since they own the House, the Speaker, (former reformer), and the senate. So what we have here is a dictatorship and wait til he gets his hands on Healthcare, although he may think twice before doing someting to peeve off Canadians, he probably let the provinces do his dirty work.

So is anyone else picturing an 8 year old girl whining to her stuffed animals at a fake tea party?