Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of the organization but I'm not sure why they want Kessel for 8 years. He's not a leader, a complete player or someone that makes his line mates better. Granted it's a risk letting him walk in hopes of using the cash to sign free agents. Maybe Nonis feels it is a contract he can trade.

I'm not a fan of the organization but I'm not sure why they want Kessel for 8 years.

He is 25 yrs old.

He was the best player on the ice vs Boston.

He can score goals like almost no one else.

As the team is rounded out, his job will lessen to scoring goals.

All told, a good signing. If its weighted up front, then as he winds on down later in life, he will be valuable asset to trade at playoff time.

The Leafs would have had three picks not Tyler Seguin. Assuming they would have chosen the same players Boston did, I still think the trade was a mistake. Phil is a huge defensive liability, he doesn't hit and he doesn't make those around him better. He is a solid finisher, but he has to bag a lot of goals just to make up for his own defensive mistakes.

Seguin on the other hand plays a 200 foot game. Plus he has put up more points per game than Kessel did in his first three years.

Additionally, the Bruins drafted Dougie Hamilton, who is turning out to be outstanding on D. The kid is already racking up top D pair points despite playing 5th man minutes.

Even if you think Seguin's partying is incurable, the Bruins still managed to land Loui Eriksson, a perennial top performer, for him.

Burke's trade made sense for him at the time, based on the team he thought he had built. Burkie was pretty sure he had put together a rock solid defensive unit with solid goal tending. Turns out he was dead wrong...but if correct then adding a finisher would have been a good move.

The Leafs would have had three picks not Tyler Seguin. Assuming they would have chosen the same players Boston did, I still think the trade was a mistake. Phil is a huge defensive liability, he doesn't hit and he doesn't make those around him better. He is a solid finisher, but he has to bag a lot of goals just to make up for his own defensive mistakes.Seguin on the other hand plays a 200 foot game. Plus he has put up more points per game than Kessel did in his first three years.Additionally, the Bruins drafted Dougie Hamilton, who is turning out to be outstanding on D. The kid is already racking up top D pair points despite playing 5th man minutes.Even if you think Seguin's partying is incurable, the Bruins still managed to land Loui Eriksson, a perennial top performer, for him.Burke's trade made sense for him at the time, based on the team he thought he had built. Burkie was pretty sure he had put together a rock solid defensive unit with solid goal tending. Turns out he was dead wrong...but if correct then adding a finisher would have been a good move.

I think the current cast of defenders the Leafs have are fine. They just had to waive John Michael-Lilles because there was no room on the Top 6 for him. People say Phaneuf is a bum but then he has a game like last night.

Nonis hasn't been GM long enough to make that call. Last year's team was basically Burke's. And if Nonis's offseason moves turn out the way I expect, you're going to look as good on that prediction as you did with your Romney landslide one.

I never predicted a Romney landslide. Stop the lying already. I did however predict a house landslide in 2010.

Anyways, Leafs looked good in their win last night. Deal with it.

The Leafs would have had three picks not Tyler Seguin. Assuming they would have chosen the same players Boston did, I still think the trade was a mistake. Phil is a huge defensive liability, he doesn't hit and he doesn't make those around him better. He is a solid finisher, but he has to bag a lot of goals just to make up for his own defensive mistakes.Seguin on the other hand plays a 200 foot game. Plus he has put up more points per game than Kessel did in his first three years.Additionally, the Bruins drafted Dougie Hamilton, who is turning out to be outstanding on D. The kid is already racking up top D pair points despite playing 5th man minutes.Even if you think Seguin's partying is incurable, the Bruins still managed to land Loui Eriksson, a perennial top performer, for him.Burke's trade made sense for him at the time, based on the team he thought he had built. Burkie was pretty sure he had put together a rock solid defensive unit with solid goal tending. Turns out he was dead wrong...but if correct then adding a finisher would have been a good move.

Yeah, Seguin's so good, Boston decided to trade him after only 2 years.

Perhaps but he was rather useless last year for the Leafs. I'd be more concerned with the lose of Clarke MacArthur.

You're wrong there, dude. Dr. Carlyle forced him into a defensive role with difficult matchups and starting him in the defensive zone for two-thirds of his shifts. Of course his offense dried up, but he still was a positive player in terms of puck possession.

Someone pointed out this stat to me about the Grabo Hat Trick. His +/- is still at 0. So he was also on the ice for 4 of the Black Hawks goals.

+/- is a useless stat.

I never predicted a Romney landslide. Stop the lying already. I did however predict a house landslide in 2010.

You certainly did, albeit in a status update which is now lost to history. You also wanted anyone who predictaed a Romney loss to stop posting on this board.

Anyways, Leafs looked good in their win last night. Deal with it.

Plan the parade LOL!

Edited by Black Dog

You're wrong there, dude. Dr. Carlyle forced him into a defensive role with difficult matchups and starting him in the defensive zone for two-thirds of his shifts. Of course his offense dried up, but he still was a positive player in terms of puck possession. +/- is a useless stat. You certainly did, albeit in a status update which is now lost to history. You also wanted anyone who predictaed a Romney loss to stop posting on this board. Plan the parade LOL!

Stop the lying already. Anyways, you're just mad because the Leafs looked good. Well, you'd better get used to it, or get your jollies by putting down another team.

Stop the lying already. Anyways, you're just mad because the Leafs looked good. Well, you'd better get used to it, or get your jollies by putting down another team.

So should the parade go up Bay from the ACC to Nathan Philips or the other way around?

Because of a contract dispute. Are you purposely being obtuse?

IOW they didn't feel he was worth the money he was asking for.

I think the current cast of defenders the Leafs have are fine. They just had to waive John Michael-Lilles because there was no room on the Top 6 for him. People say Phaneuf is a bum but then he has a game like last night.

I was referring to the defense core that Burkie had 5 years ago when he made the trade for Kessel. Brian had just added Komisarek, Beauchemin and goalie Jonas Gustavson. He thought his back end was rock solid.

I was referring to the defense core that Burkie had 5 years ago when he made the trade for Kessel. Brian had just added Komisarek, Beauchemin and goalie Jonas Gustavson. He thought his back end was rock solid.

Beauchemin has landed on his feet in Anaheim, got us Lupul which is cool.

LOL at Komisarek.