Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed Ron Wilsons frankness about the Leafs a few weeks ago.

That came across rather poorly and did him no favours going forward. Some of his frankness could easily be called bitterness.

He was ranting about how much he liked every loss.

Kind of pathetic really. He was paid to coach and to win, he failed at both.

Not often do you get that kind of honesty from a former coach, and aren't the Leafs still paying both him and Carlyle?

I think Ron's pay is up, thats why he can talk now and couldnt in the past.

That's the same expression I've seen on the kid's face in every single photo I've seen where he's not on the ice.

Lots of delusional Leafs fans out there hoping McDavid pulls a Lindros and ends up in Toronto. I guess he'd look good with Stamkos and Tavares and every other player Leafs fans think is theirs by divine right or place of birth.

Oilers also announced former Hockey Canada honcho Bob Nicholson is taking over hockey operations which has many speculating that the Old Boys Club is being served notice. That'd be great. Looking forward to the Oilers landing Babcock (close ties with Nicholson and western Canada) and Mclellan (close ties to Babcock) for their next GM/coach combo. TROLOLOLOLOL

That's the same expression I've seen on the kid's face in every single photo I've seen where he's not on the ice.

Um....I dont know about that.

Lots of delusional Leafs fans out there hoping McDavid pulls a Lindros and ends up in Toronto. I guess he'd look good with Stamkos and Tavares and every other player Leafs fans think is theirs by divine right or place of birth.

No one of relevance is saying the Leafs should have got him, although it would be great.

Plenty are saying Edm shouldnt even be in the picture. 4 in 5 years? Thats not good for the NHL .

But they did win it and they get him. We all live with it .

Oilers also announced former Hockey Canada honcho Bob Nicholson is taking over hockey operations which has many speculating that the Old Boys Club is being served notice. That'd be great. Looking forward to the Oilers landing Babcock (close ties with Nicholson and western Canada) and Mclellan (close ties to Babcock) for their next GM/coach combo. TROLOLOLOLOL

Nicholson being head is very good news for Oiler fans. Hopefull that OBC is out soon.

And if they can swing Babcock or Mclellan that would be great too. I just dont see Babcock going but I do see Mclellan doing so. Some good coaches are available now for everyone.

A bit of the same old same old but they are good coaches.

Edited by Guyser2

McJesus comes to Edmonton.....

I don't know if the Nicholson appointment will have any big or quick impact on the Old Boys.

His main job is going to be getting major revenue happening for the new arena. The Oilers make money, but the new buidling (open for fall 2016) has some work ahead to steal all the existing and future business from Rexall Place. Rexall is a really busy concert facility, "second busiest arena in Canada, fifth busiest in North America, and 23rd busiest arena in the world"

Nicholson will be tasked with making Rexall have a market share of zero, and getting all the other aspects of the new Edmonton arena making money.

I hope that MacTavish has the wit and spine to get the best coach for the Oilers. Nelson is OK and nice man, but is he the best coach available? Nobody here has any faith that MacT will do it. mainly because the OBC does not want any dissenting voices or strong personalities competing with theirs.

What he needs to do is get a goalie, a real goalie, and about five NHL caliber defence.

Oh, and giys like Babcock and McLellan are going to want four or five year deals and they will insist on a lot of control

The money doesn't matter or the term, but I don't see Lowe and MacT wanting anybody else speaking their minds.

The money matters, no one will sign in Edmonton for sub par money.Its Edmonton and they all have wives. Cue the Souray saga now.

That said though, either Katz wakes up and agrees with any prospect of Mclell /Babs stature "you can have what you want' he will not get either.

Edited by Guyser2

Um....I dont know about that.

Google Image search is your friend.

No one of relevance is saying the Leafs should have got him, although it would be great.

Plenty are saying Edm shouldnt even be in the picture. 4 in 5 years? Thats not good for the NHL .

But they did win it and they get him. We all live with it .

The new draft system worked exactly as intended. Teams that intentionally tanked for the last place spot weren't rewarded. That it was Edmonton that benefited is just dumb luck.

Nicholson being head is very good news for Oiler fans. Hopefull that OBC is out soon.

And if they can swing Babcock or Mclellan that would be great too. I just dont see Babcock going but I do see Mclellan doing so. Some good coaches are available now for everyone.

A bit of the same old same old but they are good coaches.

If Babcock has aspirations beyond coaching Edmonton would be a great fit for him.

McJesus comes to Edmonton.....

I don't know if the Nicholson appointment will have any big or quick impact on the Old Boys.

His main job is going to be getting major revenue happening for the new arena. The Oilers make money, but the new buidling (open for fall 2016) has some work ahead to steal all the existing and future business from Rexall Place. Rexall is a really busy concert facility, "second busiest arena in Canada, fifth busiest in North America, and 23rd busiest arena in the world"

Nicholson will be tasked with making Rexall have a market share of zero, and getting all the other aspects of the new Edmonton arena making money.

Nicholson was brought in originally to look after the arena/business side. As of yesterday, he's officially in charge of the on-ice product as well. That's huge news with potential ramifications for the OBC. If you read between the lines, he's been more involved with the on-ice product since December, which just so happens to be the time they fired MacT's handpicked coach. I don't think that's a coincidence any more than his CEO appointment coming right after winning the lottery is. IMO, the OBC is on notice.

What he needs to do is get a goalie, a real goalie, and about five NHL caliber defence.

Fayne, Klefbom and Marincin are good pieces to build around. Plus Nurse will see some time with the big club next year. Ference you keep as a bottom pairing option and for "intangibles". Nikitin you buy out. Schultz gets qualified and put on the block. So two top 4 D at minimum. I kick tires on Phaneuf (seriously) and look at a free agents (there's some decent options like Ehrhoff, Paul Martin, Mike Green, Oduya out there). Maybe that Jeff Petry guy who is looking so solid in Montreal would come to Edmonton?
Edited by Black Dog

The money matters, no one will sign in Edmonton for sub par money.Its Edmonton and they all have wives. Cue the Souray saga now.

That said though, either Katz wakes up and agrees with any prospect of Mclell /Babs stature "you can have what you want' he will not get either.

You missed my point entirely. I meant the money to pay coaches or GMs doesn't matter to the Oilers, they can afford whatever. But hiringt a cocach of any stature will not just involve lots of salary, bonus money and long term. It will also mean that coach will have a free hand and a public voice, and the OBC will not like that part at all.

You probably mean the Pronger saga.

Souray was already divorced when he was here. His family lived in SoCal. He left in part because the Oilers - specifically Tambellini- treated him like a turd when he was injured. .

Nicholson was brought in originally to look after the arena/business side.

No, the business side has been the responsibilty of Oilers CEO and President Patrick Laforge for years, and there is little doubt he has done an excellent job of it.

In July 2000, he was hired as President and CEO of the Edmonton Oilers organization. Since the day he was hired, he has worked actively to build pride of ownership for the organization while exploring to strengthen and stabilize the club commercially. On July 2, 2008, the Oilers were purchased by Edmonton billionaire Daryl Katz. Today, working from one of the smallest markets in the League, the Oilers are one of the most financially successful Clubs in the NHL and rated as a Top 10 sports club in the world by Money Magazine.
Fayne, Klefbom and Marincin are good pieces to build around. Plus Nurse will see some time with the big club next year. Ference you keep as a bottom pairing option and for "intangibles". Nikitin you buy out. Schultz gets qualified and put on the block. So two top 4 D at minimum. I kick tires on Phaneuf (seriously) and look at a free agents (there's some decent options like Ehrhoff, Paul Martin, Mike Green, Oduya out there). Maybe that Jeff Petry guy who is looking so solid in Montreal would come to Edmonton?

You're thinking like a fan again, overrating the players.

Fayne is a journeyman plugger. Klefbom looks like the real deal. Marincin is on the bubble of being an NHL player. Nurse is a great prospect, but is still a baby and wholly unproven at the NHL level. Nikitin is hopeless. Ference is old, small, slow and talks a far better game than he now plays. Schultz has yet to be given a chance to play the game that made the entire league salivate. This is a major, major failing of MacT- not getting complementary players and systems to optimize the skills of Schultz. . Watch how Ottawa plays when Karlsson is on the ice for an explicit primer on how to do it. Keith Aulie is a joke. Hunt, Davidson, Osterle,Musil- do any of these names strike fear n the heart of opposing players?

Barring upgrades in the offseason our starting 6 next year at this point will be Klefbom, Schultz, Ference, Nilkitin, Fayne, and somebody else who should be in the AHL. The 7th dMan will be another AHL player.

Last year we had the worst defence group in the league. It is silly to think the same group will be any better this year.

We also had the worst overall goaltending.

To quote MacTavish, 'bold moves' are required.

No, the business side has been the responsibilty of Oilers CEO and President Patrick Laforge for years, and there is little doubt he has done an excellent job of it.

Google is your friend.

Bob Nicholson, former president and CEO of Hockey Canada, was announced Friday as the vice chairman of Oilers Entertainment Group, a new company that will manage the sports and entertainment assets for the Katz Group, including the Edmonton Oilers.
Nicholson will work with Katz, LaForge and Lowe to expand the group's sports and entertainment offerings as well as oversee the construction and operation of Rogers Place, the new home for the hockey team that is expected to open in September 2016. Nicholson will hold the title of alternate governor for the Oilers on the NHL Board of Governors.

That was then. This is now:

The Edmonton Oilers have announced they've appointed Bob Nicholson as chief executive officer and his authority will include oversight of all aspects of the team.

He's the boss now.

You're thinking like a fan again, overrating the players.
Fayne is a journeyman plugger. Klefbom looks like the real deal. Marincin is on the bubble of being an NHL player. Nurse is a great prospect, but is still a baby and wholly unproven at the NHL level. Nikitin is hopeless. Ference is old, small, slow and talks a far better game than he now plays. Schultz has yet to be given a chance to play the game that made the entire league salivate. This is a major, major failing of MacT- not getting complementary players and systems to optimize the skills of Schultz. . Watch how Ottawa plays when Karlsson is on the ice for an explicit primer on how to do it. Keith Aulie is a joke. Hunt, Davidson, Osterle,Musil- do any of these names strike fear n the heart of opposing players?

Fayne is a legit NHL player. Journeyman plugger my ass. Marincin was playing (and excelling) as a top 4 defender a year a go and now he's a bubble player? Gimme a break.

As for Schultz, well, Schultz's biggest failing is being Justin Schultz. No heart, no brain and not really all that much talent. Ottawa plays the way they do when Karlsson is on the ice because he's an elite talent who drives the play. I'd say he's basically Marc Andre Bergeron, but MAB could at least man the point on the PP. The best thing would be to move him out as part of a package for a real D or bury him on the bottom pairing where his mistakes could be minimized.
Barring upgrades in the offseason our starting 6 next year at this point will be Klefbom, Schultz, Ference, Nilkitin, Fayne, and somebody else who should be in the AHL. The 7th dMan will be another AHL player.
Last year we had the worst defence group in the league. It is silly to think the same group will be any better this year.
We also had the worst overall goaltending.
To quote MacTavish, 'bold moves' are required.

There's no way we don't see changes on the blueline this season. Winning the lottery has put MacT on a short leash. 2015-16 is no longer a development year: it's imperative the team starts turning north.

You missed my point entirely. I meant the money to pay coaches or GMs doesn't matter to the Oilers, they can afford whatever. But hiringt a cocach of any stature will not just involve lots of salary, bonus money and long term. It will also mean that coach will have a free hand and a public voice, and the OBC will not like that part at all.

You probably mean the Pronger saga.

Souray was already divorced when he was here. His family lived in SoCal. He left in part because the Oilers - specifically Tambellini- treated him like a turd when he was injured. .

Yesm I did misread that part.

And I did confuse Pronger w Souray.

Hey, two for two !

He's the boss now.

Yes, I get that. But Laforge has not been fired, and he will continue- as will Nicholson now- on locking down and increasing overall revenue for the Oilers Group. It looks like they have just about forced Rexall Place into closure, Northlands has pretty much folded their tent. But there are about 270 nights not taken by the oIlers or Oil Kings at the new barn, and they want them all sold. There are also ancillary business opportunities in the Winter Graden and other enarby Katz properties that will fall to Laforge and Nicholson to maximize.

The Oilers a a hockey have been f***king awful, but as a business LaForge has done a great job. The exec who has what appears to be an undefined role is Lowe.......

Fayne is a legit NHL player. Journeyman plugger my ass. Marincin was playing (and excelling) as a top 4 defender a year a go and now he's a bubble player? Gimme a break.

I did not say Fayne was not a legit player, but he is no better than very ordinary. His greatest failing is that he is soft/not physical(14 PIM in 74 games!) and is not a puck mover. His best bit is that he is good defensively, and deserves to be kept. But yes Virginia, he is a journeyman plugger who would be in the third pairing on a real team.

Marincin is a fourth year pro and played only 41 games this year on the Oilers, a team gasping for anybody back there that can skate backwards. The only reason he wass back here for the last quarter of the season is that the Oilers just ran out of options because of injuries.

Bubble player and trade bait. Thems the facts.

Ottawa plays the way they do when Karlsson is on the ice because he's an elite talent who drives the play.

No they play that way because he is allowed and encouraged to carry the puck. When he does, a winger instantly drops back. When Schultz does a rare rush, the other team inevitably ends up with an odd man rush because we are completely clueless and badly coached by a series of rookie NHL people. McTavish has also failed to provide Schultz with a reliable defensive defensive of any quality. Karlsson has had mostly Methot and Wiercioch, a pair of trusty guys who look after things when he takes off.

Schultz has nobody like that, so he rarely employs what got him to the show.

There's no way we don't see changes on the blueline this season.

Are you expecting some 'bold moves'?