Time to defund the CBC

PIK

In the past I have had my opinions changed, when a compelling argument has been provided to do so.

You, on the other hand, have not provided any sort of argument that is convincing in the very least to change my viewpoint.

I guess I'll get over that disappointment.

Good for you. Except you've never really pointed to any sort of reason to justify your position, or indicate why you should be taking money out of my pocket to support your entertainment preferences.

At this point, I'm starting to think it's a good idea based on those who oppose it.

And once again... CBC ratings are usually low. If few people are watching/listening to something, then it isn't really indicative of "Canadian Culture".

Nonsense. You're confusing mass culture with culture.

And that is a value judgement which does nothing more than indicate a certain amount of snobishness.

And what's wrong with snobbishness?

I have never watched American Idol. I think "So you can Dance" is an idiotic concept. I hope the cast of Jersey Shore gets struck by Flesh Eating Disease. But it is not my place to decide (with other people's money) whether any of those shows should be watched.

By your logic, these shows are the only true barometers of our culture.

If its a 'quality' Canadian show or other entertainment product, it will attract viewers.

That's a fallacy of course.

This should allow it to survive via ad revenue. If people don't care enough to support it (regardless of how "culturally lofty" it is, then its not really reflective of Canadian society and I see no reason to see my tax money taken so that the minority of people who do have an interest can watch/listen to what they like for free.

Again I don't accept the premise that mass appeal is a necessarily ingredient of a cultural product.

Edited by Black Dog

Here's the thing that bugs me about the CBC.

I believe sports funds itself (as it should) So the fact that HNIC is popular is fine. I wouldn't say that HNIC should end.

The News Network is a cable channel so you have to pay to get it. I'd have to see the numbers but there is plenty of ads on the network so I'm going to assume it generates revenue. I'm guess the pay cable channel BOLD is similar. (I can't even get that channel without paying extra)

But I'm sure some of the public money going into the CBC goes into the News Network. Now I've heard from people in the broadcast news industry that CBC News is totally bloated and very in-efficient.

The only 3 things people actually watch on the CBC is Coronation Street, Hockey and the News. So why does taxpayer money have to go to crap like the Dragon's Den, Little Mosque on the Prairie and Battle of the Blades.

Here's the thing that bugs me about the CBC.

I believe sports funds itself (as it should) So the fact that HNIC is popular is fine. I wouldn't say that HNIC should end.

The News Network is a cable channel so you have to pay to get it. I'd have to see the numbers but there is plenty of ads on the network so I'm going to assume it generates revenue. I'm guess the pay cable channel BOLD is similar. (I can't even get that channel without paying extra)

But I'm sure some of the public money going into the CBC goes into the News Network. Now I've heard from people in the broadcast news industry that CBC News is totally bloated and very in-efficient.

The only 3 things people actually watch on the CBC is Coronation Street, Hockey and the News. So why does taxpayer money have to go to crap like the Dragon's Den, Little Mosque on the Prairie and Battle of the Blades.

you speak for everyone? hockey bores me haven't watched it in decades...coronation street is viewed only by people with one foot in the grave and those with no lives of their own...

So when the CBC pumps out lowest-common-denominator crap like the examples named, they are competing with the private sector for eyeballs and should get defunded. If they produced informative or entertaining cultural programming that no one watched, you'd probably argue that taxpayers shouldn't support unpopular programming. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Edited by Black Dog

Again I don't accept the premise that mass appeal is a necessarily ingredient of a cultural product.

I couldn't agree more. If mass appeal were the benchmark, some of the greatest authors and artists in the history of humanity would have never been able to survive in our times. It's one thing when you're able to live on your own off the land and support yourself, but that's quite impossible these days. You need currency. If we do not support our artists, we are destroying our culture. What's great is not always what makes money.

So when the CBC pumps out lowest-common-denominator crap like the examples named, they are competing with the private sector for eyeballs and should get defunded. If they produced informative or entertaining cultural programming that no one watched, you'd probably argue that taxpayers shouldn't support unpopular programming. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

HNIC funds itself. I'd prefer TSN to do more playoff hockey, they do a better job but I have no right to be offended by it.

But if taxpayer money goes into Battle of the Blades and Little Mosque on the Prairie, yeah I can be a bit miffed by that. Even if it is profitable it's not what the CBC is for. And why should they even be allowed to pay for programs like Jeopardy and Coronation Street?

I'm not a blanket CBC hater. Marketplace is a good show a lot of the time. I'm sure they couldn't do what they do on shows like that without extra money from the government. Also a lot of the Docs they broadcast are good. But Most of them are third party, not produced by the CBC.

My point is that most of the popular things the CBC does, fund itself. So where the fuck does the billion dollars go? Oh wait we don't know because CBC won't tell us. Which is one reason why Sun News is on them so hard.

If they are a Crown corporation they should let everyone see their books.

HNIC funds itself. I'd prefer TSN to do more playoff hockey, they do a better job but I have no right to be offended by it.

But if taxpayer money goes into Battle of the Blades and Little Mosque on the Prairie, yeah I can be a bit miffed by that.

Odd that you pick two programs that are actual ratings successes.

Even if it is profitable it's not what the CBC is for.

So what is it for, in your view?

My point is that most of the popular things the CBC does, fund itself. So where the fuck does the billion dollars go? Oh wait we don't know because CBC won't tell us. Which is one reason why Sun News is on them so hard.

To fund the unpopular things, I presume.

The only 3 things people actually watch on the CBC is Coronation Street, Hockey and the News.

Coronation Street? Why would anyone watched people yelling at each other in funny accent? :)

How did hockey help anyone?

So why does taxpayer money have to go to crap like the Dragon's Den

That actually started more than one business.

But I would be most happy if CBC was paid only by commercials - like any other TV.

The informative & entertaining cultural programming garbage that the CBC vomits out is neither informative or entertaining, It's mostly poorly done copies of what that other money-sink of the world--- the BBC.

Understand this CBC--- If you take crap & copy it you end up with---wait for it---------------------------------------Crap

Also why does Toronto need a CBC Radio station without commercials that has an obvious political slant.

There are already two AM talk radio stations and a news station that do just fine in Toronto.

Lemme guess but Left-wing radio is always a failure so it needs to be propped up by the gumint. :P

The informative & entertaining cultural programming garbage that the CBC vomits out is neither informative or entertaining, It's mostly poorly done copies of what that other money-sink of the world--- the BBC.

Understand this CBC--- If you take crap & copy it you end up with---wait for it---------------------------------------Crap

You didn't adress his point about the double standard.

You didn't adress his point about the double standard.

There isn't a double standard. If Canadian television can't survive without some government money, I may not like it but I'll accept it. I don't mind some of the Canadian content I see on cable. Slice, FoodTV G4TV, even History TV has some really good Canadian content and in HD too boot.

What the CBC does is take 1.1 billion loonies in the name of Canadian Heritage and refuses to say where the money goes and then buys Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, BBC Soaps, pays to have Hockey player Figure skate and make fun of Christians in Saskatchewan.

There's a difference.

Why can't we find out how much Peter Mansbridge makes? He's a public servant afterall isn't he?

Edited by Boges

I prefer that the CBC be funded than privately owned.

Private Media will always neglect to tell stories that private corporations don't like.

Macleans and their outright support and puff piece article of Usage Based Billing is an example. Macleans is owned by Rogers... of course it supports something that hinders the ability for new innovative data and entertainment delivery formats to compete.

I prefer that the CBC be funded than privately owned.

Private Media will always neglect to tell stories that private corporations don't like.

Macleans and their outright support and puff piece article of Usage Based Billing is an example. Macleans is owned by Rogers... of course it supports something that hinders the ability for new innovative data and entertainment delivery formats to compete.

Yeah because the CBC doesn't have a bias when it comes to serving it's own interests. CTV, Global, CityTV all do fine jobs reporting the news every night. They just don't have the resources CBC does because they don't get a $1.2 billion cheque each year with no question asked.

Also you can't compare print publications to TV's. Totally different animals and print publications get no government money that I'm aware of.

Yeah because the CBC doesn't have a bias when it comes to serving it's own interests. CTV, Global, CityTV all do fine jobs reporting the news every night.

So it's always better to have less information?

They just don't have the resources CBC does because they don't get a $1.2 billion cheque each year with no question asked.

:lol: Ah yes the poor media conglomerates facing the juggernaut of the CBC armed with only their paltry billion dollar profits.

As for unfair advantages, you are surely aware that CBC has far more restrictions on what it can broadcast than private networks, which limits the degree to which it can compete.

Also you can't compare print publications to TV's. Totally different animals and print publications get no government money that I'm aware of.

Better ask somebody.

Edited by Black Dog

:lol: Ah yes the poor media conglomerates facing the juggernaut of the CBC armed with only their paltry billion dollar profits.

As for unfair advantages, you are surely aware that CBC has far more restrictions on what it can broadcast than private networks, which limits the degree to which it can compete.

Please tell me. What can the CBC say that, perhaps the CTV New can't.

Maybe that's why CTV is more popular than the National.

You also haven't addressed why the CBC is deserving of that money when they are simply doing similar stuff to private companies.

Wow.. I never thought this forum could get this low.

Wow.. I never thought this forum could get this low.

Why 'low' ? There are certainly worse examples on here. Basically the poster thinks the CBC is garbage. It's a matter of personal taste, though, so there's not much that you can say to refute it. Some people think theatre, rock n' roll, or abstract art is crap.

Leave them to their fishing poles and fiddles... as those are art forms too.