Time to defund the CBC

PIK

1.1 billion dollars. For what, the CBC is supposed to be for all canadians not just the left and the french. Funny thing how sun tv is blowing these fools out of the water with no money from the taxpayer. Time for the CBC to be given one year before the money gets cuts, to give them time to raise money from thier supporters, or shut it down.

LOL Yes that did sting, but check the polls sun news is on the move and the thing that really stings the others, they only reach 1/2 the homes that the rest does, since some leftist media will not allow it's customers to order it. People enjoy it because they will do the stories the others are afraid to touch. Why is the left so scared of them?

1.1 billion dollars. For what, the CBC is supposed to be for all canadians not just the left and the french. Funny thing how sun tv is blowing these fools out of the water with no money from the taxpayer. Time for the CBC to be given one year before the money gets cuts, to give them time to raise money from thier supporters, or shut it down.

LOL Yes that did sting, but check the polls sun news is on the move and the thing that really stings the others, they only reach 1/2 the homes that the rest does, since some leftist media will not allow it's customers to order it. People enjoy it because they will do the stories the others are afraid to touch. Why is the left so scared of them?

Why are you talking to yourself?

Also, are you aware that Quebecor pulled Sun TV from Bell?

Edited by Black Dog

Why are you talking to yourself?

Also, are you aware that Quebecor pulled Sun TV from Bell?

They wanted it for free, that is why.That is how you do it so people like you fall for it, are you not tired of being used by these leftists.

They wanted it for free, that is why.

You're wrong, of course.

Quebecor pulls Sun News from Bell TV

Luc Lavoie, chief of the new Quebecor specialty channel which launched April 18, said Bell informed Groupe TVA, the broadcast subsidiary of Quebecor, on Monday that an amount Sun News was asking for per subscriber fees was rejected as “excessive,” with Bell agreeing to pull the channel off its satellite system in compliance with a May 3 deadline.
That is how you do it so people like you fall for it, are you not tired of being used by these leftists.

What leftists? The pinkos at billion-dollar corporations like Bell Canada? :lol:

People enjoy it because t

Because it is free....for now.

hey will do the stories the others are afraid to touch. Why is the left so scared of them?

I see this posted many places many times, yet I am unaware of any big story that did not get reported by all the others.It seems its become a talking point for SNN viewers.

Now some minor issue may not be of course, but they all cater to their viewers.

The left is not scared since they have viewers the SNN only wishes they had.

I imagine they will grow viewers and do okay, but those deep pockets better remain flush for a long time.

But boy, I never thought Ezra could come across worse tha he does in print , man , was I wrong. No delivery, no style , and please, show him to wardrobe.

No, but why does that matter?

What's your point?

I don't remember watching any original Canadian programming that didn't have a Canada logo at the end. So I guess getting government funding is just the way things are done.

But that's different from what the CBC gets. They compete with other private companies for advertising space, rights to broadcast special events and sports.

They get an unfair advantage with the extra money they receive.

But that's different from what the CBC gets. They compete with other private companies for advertising space, rights to broadcast special events and sports.

CBC Sports pays its own way and is not included in the funding for the CBC.

Edited by guyser

I don't remember watching any original Canadian programming that didn't have a Canada logo at the end. So I guess getting government funding is just the way things are done.

The voice of principled conservatism, ladies and gentlemen.

Your right: I think CBC should be commercial free and not compete with private broadcasters. I also think it should get a helluva lot more funding to compensate for that and better enable it to play its role as a true public broadcaster.

Your right: I think CBC should be commercial free and not compete with private broadcasters. I also think it should get a helluva lot more funding to compensate for that and better enable it to play its role as a true public broadcaster.

Good thing you're not in charge of how Federal money is allocated.

I think CBC should be commercial free and not compete with private broadcasters. I also think it should get a helluva lot more funding to compensate for that and better enable it to play its role as a true public broadcaster.

Since you raise the role of the state broadcaster let's have a look at its mandate as laid out in the Broadcasting Act.

"...the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, as the national public broadcaster, should provide radio and television services incorporating a wide range of programming that informs, enlightens and entertains;

...the programming provided by the Corporation should:

i. be predominantly and distinctively Canadian, reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions,

ii. actively contribute to the flow and exchange of cultural expression,

iii. be in English and in French, reflecting the different needs and circumstances of each official language community, including the particular needs and circumstances of English and French linguistic minorities,

iv. strive to be of equivalent quality in English and French,

v. contribute to shared national consciousness and identity,

vi. be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose, and

vii. reflect the multicultural and multiracial nature of Canada."

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/mandate.shtml

Could someone point to me where in the state broadcaster's mandate that it shall provide political commentary and analysis? I can't see it. IMO, in this respect the CBC is involving itself in matters outside its jurisdiction. The CBC should not be a platform for political opinion of any kind. Cut off all programming such as Evan Solomon's Power and Politics throughout. If the CBC/Radio Canada stuck to its mandate, expenditures would be reduced significantly and there would be no need to increase funding.

Personally, I would prefer the CBC be privatized. But with wimps like James Moore running the show, that is way too much to ask.

Good thing you're not in charge of how Federal money is allocated.

Why? You were just crying about the CBC's unfair advantage versus private broadcasters. I'm offering a solution. I mean, my non-commercial CBC could simply get its extra funding from the money that is currently allocated to private broadcasters.

Could someone point to me where in the state broadcaster's mandate that it shall provide political commentary and analysis? I can't see it. IMO, in this respect the CBC is involving itself in matters outside its jurisdiction. The CBC should not be a platform for political opinion of any kind. Cut off all programming such as Evan Solomon's Power and Politics throughout.

It's right in your face:

i. be predominantly and distinctively Canadian, reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions,

ii. actively contribute to the flow and exchange of cultural expression,

iii. be in English and in French, reflecting the different needs and circumstances of each official language community, including the particular needs and circumstances of English and French linguistic minorities,

iv. strive to be of equivalent quality in English and French,

v. contribute to shared national consciousness and identity,

vi. be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose, and

vii. reflect the multicultural and multiracial nature of Canada."

Of course if the CBC stuck to purely cultural matters, you and yours would whinge about that as well.

If the CBC/Radio Canada stuck to its mandate, expenditures would be reduced significantly and there would be no need to increase funding.

Prove it.

Millionaires like Michael Moore, Fidel Castro, George Soros, Ted Turner, Jimmy Carter...... :D

Have another drink.

Sun TV's parent company receives some very generous subsidies from the Canadian taxpayer via the Canada Media Fund and grants from Canadian Heritage, as well as tax breaks. So let's defund the CBC, right after we defund all the "private" broadcasters who so eagerly suckle at the public teat.

Do they get anywhere approaching 1.1 billion?

No, but why does that matter?

Its a question of degree.

Yes, private companies in the entertainment field can and do enjoy certain benefits from the government, either in terms of subsidies or tax benefits (something that not everyone agrees with), but those benefits are minor when compared to the subsidies received by the CBC. If those private companies did not receive the benefits it does, it would still likely continue to function. If it did not receive its >$1 billion subsidy, the CBC would likely not survive in the form that it does now.

Its like pointing out a hangnail, when an individual is missing an arm and a leg.

Its a question of degree.

Yes, private companies in the entertainment field can and do enjoy certain benefits from the government, either in terms of subsidies or tax benefits (something that not everyone agrees with), but those benefits are minor when compared to the subsidies received by the CBC. If those private companies did not receive the benefits it does, it would still likely continue to function. If it did not receive its >$1 billion subsidy, the CBC would likely not survive in the form that it does now.

Its like pointing out a hangnail, when an individual is missing an arm and a leg.

You know why the CBC receives such a generous subsidy, right?