"No kids allowed!" -- Children in Restaurants

kimmy

I came from a long line of Europeans. Long, long ago, when I was a child, the children would eat at their own table and sometimes at their own time. When a child showed that he/she had learned their manners and the proper etiquette at a dining table only then were they allowed to join the teenagers and adults. This included dinners where many guests were present. It was a privilege to join the "big" folks and one strived to learn and basics of dining with others.

I agree with the frustration of the owner in this case. I too have had experiences where a poorly disciplined child was allowed to create problems for strangers. I believe it is the duty of the parent to remove their child from these situations. Why people would remain in the restaurant and emphasise the fact that they were selfish boors is foreign to me.

I would tend to tell them the meal is free to that point, ask them to leave, collect the dishes and silverware and leave them be - probably to the applause of the other patrons.

Edited by Big Guy

Seriously Boges, the behaviour from this woman is not totally out of the norm, the only thing that makes it any different is that she was lost her temper in doing it.

Even when my daughter is NOT throwing tantrums people take it upon themselves all the time to come up to me and tell me how to parent my kid and it's never justified no matter how well the intentions are.

Don't get me wrong, I cringe at other people's parenting too, but I would never take it upon myself to tell someone else how to behave with their kid and I certainly would I discipline the kid as this jerk did.

She could've acted professionally and asked them to leave, but screaming at the kid? She's lucky that wasn't my kid. She'd have a lot worse to worry than a nasty FB post.

OMG. I hope Boges or Big Guy don't stub their tow on the sidewalk or some such piss ant occurrence or we will have another crybaby session only it will be the supposed grown ups whining about their pancakes. Sheesh!

Yes because adults routinely cry for an hour because of medial slights. Well some do I suppose. :rolleyes:

Seriously Boges, the behaviour from this woman is not totally out of the norm, the only thing that makes it any different is that she was lost her temper in doing it.

Even when my daughter is NOT throwing tantrums people take it upon themselves all the time to come up to me and tell me how to parent my kid and it's never justified no matter how well the intentions are.

Don't get me wrong, I cringe at other people's parenting too, but I would never take it upon myself to tell someone else how to behave with their kid and I certainly would I discipline the kid as this jerk did.

She could've acted professionally and asked them to leave, but screaming at the kid? She's lucky that wasn't my kid. She'd have a lot worse to worry than a nasty FB post.

According to the article, she did.

Yeah you didn't read the story. Sure if she lost it the moment the kid started to sniffle, party Foul for sure. But if a parent is oblivious to how their spawn is effecting the lives of others (for over an hour) and has been asked politely to do something about it, and then still is oblivious, they're the ones offside not the lady that tells their kid to STFU.

Edited by Boges

A person owning a restaurant is responsible for the food, the atmosphere and the dining experience. If a patron is disruptive then the owner has a right and responsibility to remove that disruption for the sake of other patrons.

I believe that a meal, especially in a restaurant, is a positive social experience of interaction with others while enjoying the food. I expect that I would not have to be subjected to the wailings of some child who is obviously too young to be brought into a common eating area. Why should I suffer for the bad decision on the part of the parents? I applaud this owner.

You choose to go out for dinner - then hire a babysitter.

You can't afford a sitter - then you can't afford a restaurant.

Maybe if people are doing that a lot they figure you're not very good at it based on your kid's behaviour?

Maybe if people are doing that a lot they figure you're not very good at it based on your kid's behaviour?

Nope, every single time it's some old miserable fart who has forgotten what parenting is like. Kinda like this woman.

Eta - in one particular restaurant the manager apologized to me on their behalf and told them she'd be happy to move them. She had a four year herself. :)

Edited by BC_chick

Nope, every single time it's some old miserable fart who has forgotten what parenting is like. Kinda like this woman.

This woman has mortgaged her future on this business. She shouldn't have to sit by and let some beet nick's spawn inconvenience her other paying customers for over an hour because she feels discipline is for fascists.

Yeah you didn't read the story. Sure if she lost it the moment the kid started to sniffle, party Foul for sure. But if a parent is oblivious to how their spawn is effecting the lives of others (for over an hour) and has been asked politely to do something about it, and then still is oblivious, they're the ones offside not the lady that tells their kid to STFU.

She has no right to discipline someone else's kid. Yell at the parents but not the kid. Again, she's lucky that wasn't me.

Parenting shouldn't disrupt everyone else. You should have the decency to remove yourself from the situation. You don't have a right to make the lives of others miserable for your own enjoyment.

We have no idea what the other side is to this story. Just the version of someone who yells at other people's kids.

She has no right to discipline someone else's kid. Yell at the parents but not the kid. Again, she's lucky that wasn't me.

She was asked politely to leave. There are some establishments where, if you don't leave, you're forcibly removed. Would that have been preferable?

She has every right to tell someone else's child to stop doing offensive behaviour if the child's parents don't act themselves.

Edited by Boges

I'm actually a pretty courteous parent, I didn't even go to restaurants until she was at an age where she could behave, that's why I'm quick to take the parents side because I've seen first hand how ignorant people are even for the smallest things that don't involve tantrums. I would also take my kid outside the moment the tantrum starts.

I feel for the owner too but I would never ever YELL at someone's kid. I'd call the police if someone refused to leave my restaurant and if I really lost my cool it would be aimed at the people who deserve it - the parents. Not a TWO year old who doesn't know any better.

Edited by BC_chick

I'm actually a pretty courteous parent, I didn't even go to restaurants until she was at an age where she could behave, that's why I'm quick to take the parents side because I've seen first hand how ignorant people are. I would also take my kid outside the moment the tantrum starts.

Then you're a better parent than these people.

I feel for the owner too but I would never ever YELL at someone's kid. I'd call the police if someone refused to leave my restaurant and if I really lost my cool it would be aimed at the people who deserve it - the parents. Not a TWO year old who doesn't know any better.

Having police there would have made the situation worse. She lost her temper. It happens. The parents were in the wrong.

Perhaps.

But yelling at someone's kid because you are mad at the parents is not ok and certainly does not deserve a slow clap as your thread implied before it was merged.

Keep your anger focussed where it belongs - the parents.

Eta I also fail to see how calling the police is worse than yelling at toddlers.

Edited by BC_chick

Perhaps.

But yelling at someone's kid because you are mad at the parents is not ok and certainly does not deserve a slow clap as your thread implied before it was merged.

Keep your anger focussed where it belongs - the parents.

Eta I also fail to see how calling the police is worse than yelling at toddlers.

Yelling at kids is not the end of the world. That kind of thinking is the problem. People yell sometimes. It's life. Sheltering children from that is wrong. But perhaps Yelling at the parents to shut their effing kid up would have been a better course of action.

Yelling at kids is not the end of the world. That kind of thinking is the problem. People yell sometimes. It's life. Sheltering children from that is wrong. But perhaps Yelling at the parents to shut their effing kid up would have been a better course of action.

It's never acceptable to discipline a random person's kid, ever. Address the culprit.

Seriously, you better stand back far if you ever yell at my kid for something I do.

I merged the threads and added a few tags.

That first thread was about whether it's acceptable to refuse kids into your restaurants. This new one is about whether or not it's acceptable to discipline another person's kid if you disagree with the way they are parenting on your premises.