I gotta say it. . .

...BTW if you can't afford basic cable, I doubt advertisers to CFL games want you watching anyway. Just sayin'

Got no cable....no problem...you can watch CFL games past, present, and future on that Internet thingy (ESPN3 or maybe TSN):

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/football

Maybe I will watch some CFL games until the NFL lockout is over. CFL regular season games are better than NFL preseason games! ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got no cable....no problem...you can watch CFL games past, present, and future on ESPN3:

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/football

Oh...wait...there is no ESPN in Canada! ;)

Yeah streaming sports in Canada is pretty dreadful.

When the Dolphins aren't playing on any TV channel I get (I refuse to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket) I go to Justin.tv. But it's always pretty bad quality. channelsurfing.net was better but that was shut down.

You can get live sports streamed on XBL in the US right? Our CRTC is horribly restrictive on the type of content we get online in Canada.

Usually because that and cow tipping are the cultural highlights of the region.

You're going with that?

I guess it's partially true. The attendance in places like Miami for sports is pretty abysmal. They can always go to the beach.

But New York sells out their NFL games. Austin, Texas is a pretty happening place.

USC Trojans sell out the Olympic Coliseum. Buffalo is a stones throw from the GTA and those people are dirt poor and they still come out to watch the Road kill Bills.

Football is ingrained in their culture as of late like hockey has been in ours. To deny it is to have blinders on.

You're going with that?

I guess it's partially true. The attendance in places like Miami for sports is pretty abysmal. They can always go to the beach.

But New York sells out their NFL games. Austin, Texas is a pretty happening place.

Remember the statements you make..

You can get 100,000+ people out to watch a University team play in the US

Mid west USA doesn't have a lot of else going on beside football...Nebraska? Wisconsin?

Remember the statements you make..

Mid west USA doesn't have a lot of else going on beside football...Nebraska? Wisconsin?

Well the 100+ Stadium I'm talking about is Ann Abour Michigan. Closer to Northeast than Midwest.

So you're saying people in the US go watch football because they have nothing else to do? You're saying there's so much to do in parts of Canada?

You're thesis was that Canadians love football as much as Americans do and I don't buy it.

I'll agree it's very popular here, just not as popular. You're never going to get 70,000 people to come to a CFL game in the GTA, you just aren't.

I don't think we value sports nearly as much in Canada as in the US. College Sports draws flies up here, in the US there are two networks devoted to College sports I can get. One devoted just to a conference (The Big 10).

Here's the best evidence I can show to you to prove this. For Game 7 of the Stanley Cup someone paid $7,000 a seat to see that game. Hockey is the most popular sport in Canada, no question.

It's not uncommon for Superbowl tickets to for for multiple thousand dollars.

Do you know anyone that would pay more than a few hundy to see a CFL game? Anyone? I went to the 2004 Grey Cup and got the ticket given to me.

OK...I'm watching the Canada Day Argos-Stampeders game on ESPN3.com stream. I learned something new....Wendy's is the official hamburger of the CFL. Nothing says bush league more than white stenciled advertising on the playing field surface.

I wondered what happened to Henry Burris (Temple University) after his backup role for the Chicago Bears. Now I know.

So you're saying people in the US go watch football because they have nothing else to do? You're saying there's so much to do in parts of Canada?

Sure some do, same as Saskatchewan Rough RIder fans. What else is there to do ?

I'll agree it's very popular here, just not as popular. You're never going to get 70,000 people to come to a CFL game in the GTA, you just aren't.

Why'd you pick 70,000, why not 80 or 99,000?

Rogers Centre only seats 45, 700....sneaky guy.

Here's the best evidence I can show to you to prove this. For Game 7 of the Stanley Cup someone paid $7,000 a seat to see that game. Hockey is the most popular sport in Canada, no question.

It's not uncommon for Superbowl tickets to for for multiple thousand dollars.

Best supply that evidence since I didnt find it. Youi are somparing one game final to a 7 game series.

But I am reasonably sure that the Gold Medal game at Vancouver matched closely with the Super Bowl price.

Do you know anyone that would pay more than a few hundy to see a CFL game? Anyone? I went to the 2004 Grey Cup and got the ticket given to me.

Scalpers report getting more than that. Not much mind you.

Sure some do, same as Saskatchewan Rough RIder fans. What else is there to do ?

Why'd you pick 70,000, why not 80 or 99,000?

Rogers Centre only seats 45, 700....sneaky guy.

Best supply that evidence since I didnt find it. Youi are somparing one game final to a 7 game series.

But I am reasonably sure that the Gold Medal game at Vancouver matched closely with the Super Bowl price.

Scalpers report getting more than that. Not much mind you.

I picked 70,000 because no NFL stadium is less than that figure, I do believe. That's why if the NFL moved up to Toronto they'd have to build a new stadium.

I'm not researching Superbowl prices but I do remember hear that in the latest Superbowl in Dallas people paid $800 to sit in temporary seating. The seats ended up being not available for them.

I'm pretty sure the average Superbowl price is over a few grand.

I picked 70,000 because no NFL stadium is less than that figure, I do believe. That's why if the NFL moved up to Toronto they'd have to build a new stadium.

I'm not researching Superbowl prices but I do remember hear that in the latest Superbowl in Dallas people paid $800 to sit in temporary seating. The seats ended up being not available for them.

I'm pretty sure the average Superbowl price is over a few grand.

Uh...

Check out Soldier Field in Chicago....

Even less than the old version and much uglier...

By the way...

Steel City Steelers (I counted 90..Some say 89...They stopped showing the score on the scoreboard mid-way through the 2nd quarter)90...Ajax-Pickering Dolphins 8...

Gotta say...After the game the team manager said ,'Take a look at the Dolphins QB.."...So I did..The kid is playing Quarterback without a left hand!I was wondering why he was spinning the ball when he received a snap...Now I know...All in all,a supremely gutsy performance by this young man!

Congratulations Steel City...8-0 and now it's onto to the playoffs!!!

You keep talking about the GTA and the Argos as though they are meaningful in the CFL. They aren't. They aren't representative at all. Not the style, the attitude, the experience. Not the budget, the market, the facilities or the history. Nothing. The Argos and GTA are wholly alien to it, from the puritan sedateness of the fans to the absurd price of a (warm, flat) beer.

Talk about the Eskimos, the Roughriders, the Ti-cats and you'll have some kind of handle on the CFL, but the Argos are... jeez.

...just lacrosse, basketball, baseball, horse/dog racing, mortorsports, and roller derby! There is even a women's NBA league...imagine that!

And hockey. The Frozen Four is pretty popular in the Big 10 states too.

You keep talking about the GTA and the Argos as though they are meaningful in the CFL. They aren't. They aren't representative at all. Not the style, the attitude, the experience. Not the budget, the market, the facilities or the history. Nothing. The Argos and GTA are wholly alien to it, from the puritan sedateness of the fans to the absurd price of a (warm, flat) beer.

Talk about the Eskimos, the Roughriders, the Ti-cats and you'll have some kind of handle on the CFL, but the Argos are... jeez.

I've heard it said that if the NFL comes to Toronto you can kiss the Ti-Cats and the Argos goodbye so maybe you're right.

The CFL is very popular out west. Perhaps because, like M Dancer said in regards to many parts of the US, there isn't a whole lot to do there.

BTW a $10 Beer isn't warm and flat. The prices at an Argos game aren't that expensive. Well at least compared to the Jays, Raptors and Leaves.

Under the new ownership, the Argos are actually a fairly well run club.

I've heard it said that if the NFL comes to Toronto you can kiss the Ti-Cats and the Argos goodbye so maybe you're right.

Not a big worry, because the possibility remains remote as long as the Los Angeles market is without an NFL team. The lowly Buffalo Bills already get 10,000 - 15,000 fans from across the border for home games. Mexico City would be in the running for an expansion team too.

I gotta say it...

I enjoyed seeing the Eskimos smack the shit out of the Roughriders and Tiger-Cats! They ripped 'em up honey-badger style! 1000 yards of offense in the first 2 weeks!

-k

The Ti-Cat fan-base isn't the most sophisticated to put it mildly. They're Canada's NASCAR equivalent! :lol:

Nothing like putting your pseudosophisticate/pseudosuperiority on display for everyone to see...

On an almost daily basis...

Priceless!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Jack Weber

Nothing like putting your pseudosophisticate/pseudosuperiority on display for everyone to see...

On an almost daily basis...

Priceless!!!!

It's not only priceless it's disgusting!!!

Edited by Shwa

Looks like some people got a serious case of the vapors! Interesting. You guys don't seem to have the same objections making the same observations about other people. Like them damn 'merikans!

Anyways, the truth hurts. I've been amongst Ti-Cat fans from time to time. And believe me, they're not the sharpest tools in the shed!