I gotta say it. . .

So afetr all that...Slagging the CFL...Wishing it was more "Americanized"...

It comes out..

You're an Argo fan...

No wonder you think the CFL sucks!!!

:P:lol:

LOFL! I was thinking the same thing!

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's either that or be a Ti-Cats fan. :(

The Argo's had a clutch win on Friday. They were able to kick 2 FG's in less than 2 minutes because the CFL does not allow teams to run the clock down.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Clutch???

If Rod Maver had'nt been injured you would belooking at 0-1!

1 field goal from a gimpy kicker and you guys are tied with....

Well...We won't go there...

Clutch???

If Rod Maver had'nt been injured you would belooking at 0-1!

1 field goal from a gimpy kicker and you guys are tied with....

Well...We won't go there...

There was a certain amount of Irony in that post. I was lightly following the game while partaking in large amounts of expensive beer downtown.

As I said before,I don't look at either as superior or inferior because completely different athletic skill sets are required to be successful in either league.

Complete nonsense. It's the same skill set, because it's the same sport. Except that the better football players make it to the NFL, and the ones that can't make the NFL settle for the CFL.

I understand the idea that speed is more important in the CFL because the field is larger and there is much more lateral motion.

Doesn't mean the receivers are better in the CFL. Put Brandon Marshall in the CFL and he'd totally pwn everyone.

I understand the idea that speed is more important in the CFL because the field is larger and there is much more lateral motion.

Doesn't mean the receivers are better in the CFL. Put Brandon Marshall in the CFL and he'd totally pwn everyone.

Exactly. Not to mention that NFL players are faster than CFL players anyways.

Anecdotall I know. ;)

Cory Boyd's Combine

40 Yrd Dash: 4.52

My link

INDIANAPOLIS - If things continue on this path, the Legend of 4.24 will live to see another year. A handful of the biggest threats to break Chris Johnson's vaunted 4.24 have run the 40-yard dash and have failed to break the figure.

Returner Trindon Holliday posted a 4.34 while running back C.J. Spiller's initial unofficial time of 4.28 was just a tease -- as his official number was 4.37. Spiller's collegiate teammate, wide receiver Jacoby Ford -- who earlier in the week said he was faster than Spiller -- has the fastest time of the combine thus far with a 4.28. Jahvid Best actually had the best time for running backs, eclipsing Spiller's mark by two hundredths of a second (4.35). These were the only four players to record a time of less than 4.40.

The fastest quarterback was Jarrett Brown (4.54) and Dorin Dickerson came with an impressive 4.40 -- easily making him the fastest tight end.

The defensive backs still have yet to run the 40, and there are some burners in there, but the trio most thought had a chance to break the 4.24-mark

The Argos won the Grey Cup the year they signed Ishmael did they not?

Yep... and he was paid $4 million and change for that performance. Was Don Narcisse (for one) getting $200,000 at the time? Maybe. Maybe not. Ishmael was not 20 X as productive, as entertaining, as skilled....

His second year he accepted the same paycheck, sucked, took some injuries, did some stupid stuff and then bailed on his contract.

Edit: While he didn't even come close to living up to the billing, 'centrepiece of the Argos and savior of the CFL' that was a high pressure role to be thrust into. I could almost have been convinced to feel sorry for him.

Edited by Molly

Complete nonsense. It's the same skill set, because it's the same sport. Except that the better football players make it to the NFL, and the ones that can't make the NFL settle for the CFL.

Really??

Ever wonder why there are very few 300 + lb Defensive Tackles in the CFL??

Ever wonder why Linebackers are generally smaller??

Yours is the attitude of a near clueless fan who understands very little of the sport that has'nt been told to you by the folks at ESPN,Fox,NBC,or,CBS...

Have you ever played this sport at any organized level?

Really??

Yep.

Ever wonder why there are very few 300 + lb Defensive Tackles in the CFL??

Because the really good 300+ pound defensive tackles choose to play in the NFL. They only play in the CFL if they can't make an NFL team or NFL practice squad.

Ever wonder why Linebackers are generally smaller??

Nope. Because they really good linebackers, you know, the bigger linebackers that can still run as fast, if not faster than CFL linebackers play in the NFL. Dude, all you have to do is look at CFL players combine times. Barely any of them are faster than their NFL counterparts. Get over it already. :rolleyes:

Yep.

Because the really good 300+ pound defensive tackles choose to play in the NFL. They only play in the CFL if they can't make an NFL team or NFL practice squad.

Nope. Because they really good linebackers, you know, the bigger linebackers that can still run as fast, if not faster than CFL linebackers play in the NFL. Dude, all you have to do is look at CFL players combine times. Barely any of them are faster than their NFL counterparts. Get over it already. :rolleyes:

'Cause 40 yard times a barometre of lateral speed,right?

Of course a 260 lb LB having to drop back into pass coverage at least 25% more during a game has nothing to do with it,right?

And far less running between the tackles because of field width and being a yard off the ball instead of helmet to helmet,vis a vis 300 lb DT's,has nothing to do with it,right?

As I said,you are a tv football fan...Sunday afternoons in the fall,and that is it.You really know very little of what you speak of...

I've never said one is better than the other and I don't compare the two...Of course,I also don't bow down to all things star spangled banner and think that "seal of approval" instantly makes things great.

As I said,I'm a football fan.I get 8 months of football July to February inclusive.You get to complain for a few months,feign some sort of vicarious superiority glombing onto the coattails of a sport you're probably not physically capable of playing outside of a backyard somewhere,and then,watch your TV football from September until February...And you might not get that this year!

Sad,really...

Edited by Jack Weber

40 yards straight ahead is a measure of power, and in that respect I don't doubt that NFL players beat most CFLers.

The difference is, the CFL overall is a faster game. It's specifically a game for the smaller more mobile guys. The really big guys could not hack it, because they are nowhere near as mobile, and they would be gassed after one or two plays.

That's not even a CFL vs NFL differentiation though. In any sport, even within the same leagues, the smaller guys generally can't generate the kind of short burst power that the bigger guys can. They are, however, significantly more mobile and have greater endurance and recovery.

Actually yes. It's called the NFL and CFL combines.

Does a 5 year veteran of the NFL get invited to the NFL combine Shady? How about a 15 year veteran? Or how about a guy that has just finished his rookie year, does he get an invite?

:rolleyes:

Shady, on 04 July 2011 - 01:11 PM, said:

Exactly. Not to mention that NFL players are faster than CFL players anyways.

Seems to me that athletes invited to the combines are not NFL players now are they Shady?

Sorry Shady, but your "proof" just went out the window and makes you out to be someone who seriously does not know what they are talking about.

Would you like to try again Shady? :lol:

LOL, I can't believe you people are still in such denial. The fact is that any American college players that can't make an NFL roster, end up trying out for the CFL. And even the good Canadian university players always try to make an NFL roster before having to settle for the CFL. *cough* Jessie Lumsden *cough*

The best athletes are always going to be in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, the CFL is a nice league. But if you're trying to actually say that the leagues are on par for talent, you're completely delusional. The average NFL player can do everything better than the average CFL player. It's a fact.

40 yards straight ahead is a measure of power, and in that respect I don't doubt that NFL players beat most CFLers.

The difference is, the CFL overall is a faster game. It's specifically a game for the smaller more mobile guys. The really big guys could not hack it, because they are nowhere near as mobile, and they would be gassed after one or two plays.

That's not even a CFL vs NFL differentiation though. In any sport, even within the same leagues, the smaller guys generally can't generate the kind of short burst power that the bigger guys can. They are, however, significantly more mobile and have greater endurance and recovery.

You ever heard of one, Darren Sproules? Think he'd be a good if not great CFL player? He's like 5'8.

Think Chris Johnson could pwn in the CFL?

What about AP, B-Marsh, or even older players like Randy Moss and TO?

What about Steve Smith, he's a WR under 6 feel tall.

I'll plead ignorance about CFL players, I don't follow it terribly closely in regards to the player. I just know the Argo's starting QB led my favourite team in all of sports to a 1-15 record.

I started this thread because I don't like the style of the game.

But to think a guy like Henry Burris or Ricky Ray or even Anthony Calvillo wouldn't love to play along side the likes of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady is ridiculous.

Anyway, what I've noticed about the CFL is that the offenses mimic the spread offenses you see in the Southern US College Football. All from the shotgun, lots of lateral motion, very little hard nose through the tackles football. Lot's of passing (you have to when you only have 3 downs) It's evidence that the defenses aren't all that good in the CFL.

Edited by Boges

I'm sure most of you have heard of one Tim Tebow. Possibly one of the best college QB's ever. But he never played a "Pro-Style" offense at Florida.

If his time one the Denver Broncos doesn't work out. Most people don't think it will. He will be a great CFL QB.

LOL, I can't believe you people are still in such denial. The fact is that any American college players that can't make an NFL roster, end up trying out for the CFL. And even the good Canadian university players always try to make an NFL roster before having to settle for the CFL. *cough* Jessie Lumsden *cough*

The best athletes are always going to be in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, the CFL is a nice league. But if you're trying to actually say that the leagues are on par for talent, you're completely delusional. The average NFL player can do everything better than the average CFL player. It's a fact.

"LOL"

Got proof of that Shady? The "best athletes?"

Oh wait, we are still waiting to hear about how the NFL combine prove that "NFL players" are something-something. Is there an update on that yet Shady?

No?

Didn't think so.

You still don't know what you are talking about do you?

:lol::lol::lol:

So I am still waiting for you to prove your "facts."

Edited by Shwa

Oh wait, we are still waiting to hear about how the NFL combine prove that "NFL players" are something-something. Is there an update on that yet Shady?

Do you need somebody to give you proof that water makes you wet? :rolleyes:

If so, here you go.

NFL combine results vs CFL combine results.

* The fastest CFL athlete ran a 4.50 in 40 yards. That wouldn't make the top 15 of the NFL 40 yard times.

* The most reps done of 225 lbs in the CFL was 47. That was a CFL record beating the previous record of 40. In the NFL combine, 2 players did reps of 49. Those weren't records.

* The best verticle jump in the CFL combine was 43 inches. The best NFL verticle jump was 45 inches.

* The best CFL broad jump was 10' 9.5". That would be good for 6th place in the NFL combine. The best broad jump in the NFL was 11' 4".

* The best time in the 3-cone drill in the CFL was 6.72 seconds. That would be good for 17th place in the NFL combine. The best time in the 3-cone drill in the NFL combine was 6.42 seconds.

* In the shuttle drill, which tests lateral quickness, something Jack likes to bullshit about, the best time in the CFL combine was 3.97 seconds. That would be good for 7th place in the NFL combine. The best shuttle time in the NFL combine was 3.81.

CFL Results

NFL Results

That was fun! Nothin feels better than kicking in a loudmouth's teeth on an internet forum! :lol:

Do you need somebody to give you proof that water makes you wet? :rolleyes:

If so, here you go.

That was fun! Nothin feels better than kicking in a loudmouth's teeth on an internet forum!

SO where are the "NFL players" Shady? You cite combine results for athletes invited to the combine, but no where do you show that "NFL players" are anything.

Not even averages for "average NFL players."

Because the scouting combine is to show who might be a prospect. Nevermind all the actual NFL players who are never invited to the scouting combine or who make a team yet never drafted.

So you lose again Shady, and any time you would like to try, please give it another shot. Except do better next time will ya?. In the meantime, you STILL don't know what you are talking about and when you think you do, you have little way of proof.

Typical. It's disgusting.

Edited by Shwa

SO where are the "NFL players" Shady? You cite combine results for athletes invited to the combine, but no where do you show that "NFL players" are anything.

Not even averages for "average NFL players."

Because the scouting combine is to show who might be a prospect. Nevermind all the actual NFL players who are never invited to the scouting combine or who make a team yet never drafted.

So you lose again Shady, and any time you would like to try, please give it another shot. Except do better next time will ya?. In the meantime, you STILL don't know what you are talking about and when you think you do, you have little way of proof.

Typical. It's disgusting.

You can't be that stupid. Seriously. Nobody can be that stupid. :rolleyes: