I gotta say it. . .

you didn't read him correctly

I read him perfectly fine. The current performance of the any force overall isn't measured by the selective test results of a group of unproven, prospective recruits. There is no dependency whatsoever, other than the performance of recruitment and testing schemes for prospective recruits.

In other words, the proven ability of any given member individual overall is not the result of the selective recruitment testing. Selective testing only suggests potential. As well, a force needs continuous evaluation to decide which recruits it needs to improve it's current measured performance. Not the other way around.

Next time a team selects a quarterback in the draft, ask yourself why they selected the quarterback instead of the next best available lineman.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does....non high school graduates....high school graduates...and college graduates as "recruits" has a direct bearing on current performance...even in the "Navy".

Nope. They only have bearing on potential performance. You are getting your tenses mixed up.

I'm sure he can....not everyone can play in the game's most elite league, otherwise it wouldn't be elite!

The NFL is football's elite 4 down league. Nothing more.

Sorry, but here math is not your friend. The NFL has more of...everything...including fans.

Only because it is in the USA. Nothing more.

Show the Americans the money...and it will be done.

Find the cure for all cancers.

98 yard punt return was awesome! And only made #3 for the week. That hit by JJ on Buck was ginormous!!! Poor Buck.... :blink:

Looking forward to a great season.

Regarding the CFL rules and why they don't change....

The Rouge - it is not a point for missing a field goal... it is a point for kicking it through the endzone or having the kick receiver downed in the endzone. They can run (or punt) out the ball to avoid the single point.

goal posts - Why would they move them? They've been there for over a century.... Does rugby need to move their posts because the NFL has posts at the back of the endzone? Makes no sense.

receivers - I like that only one foot needs to be in bounds for a reception in the CFL (and NCAA).

comparisons to the NFL - It's a different game... I watch both, but enjoy the CFL much more. Whatever floats your boat.

Are the players as good in the CFL? Probably not... But there certainly are many exceptions... The CFL has amazing athletes, often with a different skill set to NFL athletes due to the differences in the two leagues. NCAA athletes aren't as "good" as NFL players.... doesn't seem to hurt the popularity of NCAA football any!!

Edited by The_Squid

Okay, I confess I have only watched one complete US football game in my life. Last year's super bowl. I watched it for the half time (which I usually catch in spite of not watching the game, I watched because I had money in a blind pool, and I watched because I was at a bar...

Now I can suggest a few changes to make the CFL game more exciting.

1) Eliminate the forward pass. It is football, not handball. You want to move the ball forward to another player ahead of you, punt it to him.

2) Eliminate helmets and shoulder pads.

3) Recruit Samoans and Tongalese.

But what about those goalposts???

Well if your comparing American/Canadian Football to Ruby we've reached an impasse.

The forward pass makes the goal post an obstacle, I don't like that.

Now I'll agree you can't move the goal posts to the back of the endzone in Canadian Football because the enzone is 20 yards deep. Which, might I ad, is more annoying to me than the goal posts.

In Canadian Football you can chuck a ball 30 or 40 yards downfield from inside the redzone and still score a TD. I find these are just rules that make offense easier.

Do you like wide open European Ice Hockey (the CFL) or do you like NHL Hockey with lots of hits in a smaller rink (NFL)

Edited by Boges

Well if your comparing American/Canadian Football to Ruby we've reached an impasse.

Canadian football came from rugby. Hence the position of the posts, etc.

The forward pass makes the goal post an obstacle, I don't like that.

It's no big deal really. It's always been there.... for over a century...

the enzone is 20 yards deep. Which, might I ad, is more annoying to me than the goal posts.

Why? Because it isn't like the NFL? It's a different game with different rules. THere is no reason to change it.

Do you like wide open European Ice Hockey (the CFL) or do you like NHL Hockey with lots of hits in a smaller rink (NFL)

Since the expansion and watering down of the NHL, I don't watch it much. I'll watch international tournaments like the olympics. So I guess I like the euro rules, but that is even less relavent to football than comparing it to rugby.

It's all personal preferences.

I've always watched the NFL, so it's what I like. This year I'm going to try and give the CFL a shot but I think the US version is more interesting.

The smaller field and the bigger players make the NFL a much more violent sport. I'd argue it also makes strategy far more important.

That is not a fair comaprison. It susggests there is no hitting in the CFL,all of which we know there is.

Euro hockey is dull and boring.

There can be hitting in Euro Hockey. There is just less of it because the rink is so big and it favours faster players. :P

It may favour faster players, however they arent faster . They are slower.

Many of the previous pages of this thread was a pointless debate about the speed of football players.

I think the consensus was that speed was more important in CFL because of the larger field. Strength and size is more important in the NFL because of the smaller field.

...I've always watched the NFL, so it's what I like. This year I'm going to try and give the CFL a shot but I think the US version is more interesting...

True, and from a practical standpoint, the CFL is less accessible, even in Canada. For many years, any Canadian market with access to American broadcast networks could see at least four NFL games each season weekend, plus a Monday night game. Lots of NCAA games as well. Video games just expanded market penetration into Canada. I think that's why Canadians are so familiar with the product.

In the "States", we had/have access to CFL games in spotty start and stop fits. Yes, we could watch the games and they were entertaining, but the CFL had to compete with a growing television market for the NFL, NCAA, and other leagues that came and went. The instability of CFL expansion franchises and outright financial failures, coupled with NFL rejects and a summer season start, led to the CFL, fair or not, being associated with lesser leagues and wannabes that couldn't make it in the NFL.

The NFL lockout is a very big deal for lots of rea$on$...I don't know if a similar action by the CFL would get as much attention or concern in Canada.

True, and from a practical standpoint, the CFL is less accessible, even in Canada. For many years, any Canadian market with access to American broadcast networks could see at least four NFL games each season weekend, plus a Monday night game. Lots of NCAA games as well. Video games just expanded market penetration into Canada. I think that's why Canadians are so familiar with the product.

In the "States", we had/have access to CFL games in spotty start and stop fits. Yes, we could watch the games and they were entertaining, but the CFL had to compete with a growing television market for the NFL, NCAA, and other leagues that came and went. The instability of CFL expansion franchises and outright financial failures, coupled with NFL rejects and a summer season start, led to the CFL, fair or not, being associated with lesser leagues and wannabes that couldn't make it in the NFL.

The NFL lockout is a very big deal for lots of rea$on$...I don't know if a similar action by the CFL would get as much attention or concern in Canada.

There are other factors at play too.

In my early teens my parents came back from South Florida with a Dan Marino jersey and ever since I've been in love with the Miami Dolphins. My favourite team in all of sports.

I was their games religiously and my mood is dictated by their performance. I'm a true fan. I could never get worked up about the Argos. Even when I was invited to the 2004 Grey Cup I was rather ambivalent.

The only thing I can compare it to is watching the Leafs in the playoffs.

You can also add Fantasy football helping my broad interest in the NFL. I can be engaged in watching teams I may, otherwise, not care about because I have a player starting in the game.

Edited by Boges

It would because of the Grey Cup.

It would because of the Grey Cup.

The CFL isn't an institution in Canada like the NFL is in the US. Actually like all levels of Football are in the US.

It would be missed by some, but not most.

Loss of an NFL season would be treated much like in 2006/7 when we lost the NHL season.

The CFL isn't an institution in Canada like the NFL is in the US. Actually like all levels of Football are in the US.

No, but the Grey Cup is. You are probably thinking I meant Vanier Cup?

It would be missed by some, but not most.

The Grey Cup is a national party, with over 6 million viewers. That's a lot of beer sales!

Loss of an NFL season would be treated much like in 2006/7 when we lost the NHL season.

We lost an NHL season? Puh-lease, the loss of the NFL has a titch more significance than the loss of the NHL season. Whenever that happened I mean. :D

However, losing an NFL season will impact me greatly since I highly anticipate the Pack repeating this season.

The CFL isn't an institution in Canada like the NFL is in the US. .

Check the ratings.

Super Bowl outdrew in 2009, but has lost the battle in years before and since. ]

Point b eing , Grey Cup attracts quite nicely and thats only on TSN. Super Bowl is on reg channels and I know many who tune in for the ads.

Check the ratings.

Super Bowl outdrew in 2009, but has lost the battle in years before and since. ]

Point b eing , Grey Cup attracts quite nicely and thats only on TSN. Super Bowl is on reg channels and I know many who tune in for the ads.

The Grey Cup is on CTV I do believe. (owns TSN)

BTW if you can't afford basic cable, I doubt advertisers to CFL games want you watching anyway. Just sayin'

I'm not comparing Grey Cup vs Super Bowl in Canada.

I'm comparing NFL in America to CFL in Canada.

Edited by Boges

The Grey Cup is on CTV I do believe. (owns TSN)

TSN gets Canadian football fans back on the gridiron with its prestigious and all-encompassing CFL ON TSN broadcast campaign, featuring every single regular season CFL game, the playoffs and the Grey Cup

BTW if you can't afford basic cable, I doubt advertisers to CFL games want you watching anyway. Just sayin'

Say again?

I'm not comparing Grey Cup vs Super Bowl in Canada.

I'm comparing NFL in America to CFL in Canada.

same thing...

The NFL on the other hand generally does well in the TV ratings in Canada but not enough to compete with the CFL.

http://sportales.com/football/nfl-or-cfl/

The love of Football in America and in Canada are not comparable. Sorry.

You can get 100,000+ people out to watch a University team play in the US.

The Argos can't even fill a 50,000 seats stadium most of the time. The Alhouettes play in the a stadium the size of a hockey arena.

Ivor Wind stadium is shittier than some American High School bleachers.

Out west it's a bit better, probably because it's the only pro sports most of these places have outside hockey season. But still in now way compares to the way Americans love football.