I gotta say it. . .

It's not very interesting at all. I like football and I will try again to watch some Argo games this year but I find it very difficult to love the league.

The rules are quirky, the goalposts are in the front of the endzone, the Rouge is a ridiculous way to score points, and the fact that there are only 8 teams makes an 18-game season way to long.

There I said it.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why there aren't at least 3 more teams, if not 4, 5, or 6. There are enough big cities to make it work.

No there aren't. Ottawa has failed twice but what the hey, let's give em another team. Then perhaps Quebec City and/or an Atlantic city like, say, Moncton or Halifax.

That's the most I can see. A 10-team league would be far better though.

No there aren't. Ottawa has failed twice but what the hey, let's give em another team. Then perhaps Quebec City and/or an Atlantic city like, say, Moncton or Halifax.

London? Kitchener - Waterloo? Somewhere else in BC? There are many places where there could be teams.

London? Kitchener - Waterloo? Somewhere else in BC? There are many places where there could be teams.

Sure, in this time of restraint convince governments or the private sector to build stadiums of 15,000+ seats for 9 games of a football season. Now if there was a popular university program like there is in Quebec and in Eastern Cities that's one thing. I don't think Western (London) or Laurier (K-Dub) draw that well to justify a stadium being built for them and some mysterious CFL team.

In the US, a professional football team is an automatic moneymaker, not so in Canada.

Hamilton almost lost their team because the ownership and the city couldn't agree on whether to build their new stadium in the downtown core (a place with no parking) or in the suburbs. (a place that had no link to public transit) They found a compromised location but a lot of the debate around not building the stadium where the owner wanted it was the fact that, after the 2015 Pan Am games there isn't a lot of stuff outside of the Ti-Cats to occupy such an expensive venue.

In Toronto there is BMO field (which IMHO is a crappy stadium) and that was actually used too much and caused the field turf to age quicker that people though MLSE actually was forced to turn the stadium to grass because Pro Soccer players refused to player here so the stadium isn't being used for more local soccer events. But that's in the countries largest city and that was a stadium not used for Canadian Football.

In Toronto there is BMO field (which IMHO is a crappy stadium) and that was actually used too much and caused the field turf to age quicker that people though MLSE actually was forced to turn the stadium to grass because Pro Soccer players refused to player here so the stadium isn't being used for more local soccer events. But that's in the countries largest city and that was a stadium not used for Canadian Football.

I don't think BMO has ever been used for the CFL

Well I'm a football fan...NFL,CFL,CIS,NCAA,junior football...

Unlike most Canadians who think hockey is king,Football is king with me!!

I'm a former season ticket holder with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats...I played for 11 years...My Dad coached me for 3 of those years...His cousin's name is on the Grey Cup at least 4 times and he's in the Candian Football Hall of Fame (Jimmy Simpson)...You could say it's in my blood...Kiddo is playing JV Rep ball in Hamilton right now with Steel City...

The NFL is great on TV....I mean,it takes 40 freakin' seconds to get a play off so they can have umpteen different slowmo angles of a single play at almost any given time...Let's not forget the money and gambling aspect of the NFL that draws the premier atheletes out of the NCAA...

Hvaing said that,I've seen many very good players from the NFL come up here and fail miserably!

Vince Ferregammo,anyone?

David Overstreet,anyone?

Terry Metcalf,anyone?

Billy 'Whiteshoes" Johnson,anyone?

It's different game up here...It's far more traditional!!!...Only a youngish person who does'nt understand history would call the CFL rules "quirky"...They are,in essence,the correct rules for how the game should be played!

This is not to say I don't like the US version of the game,because I do.I just look at them being almost completely different requiring a completely different athletic skillset to compete.The US rules put a premium on size and power.This is because of the dimensions of the field.The "outside game" is'nt as much of a premium because there are 7.5 less yards on either side of the hash marks on a US field.In otherwords,lateral movement and speed is'nt as important as it is in Canada.Up here,size is'nt at a premium...Speed is...Particularily lateral speed to the sideline...

I'd go on,but kiddo's got to play in Rexdale tomorrow and whip Rob Ford's team...

Oskee Wee Wee and Go Steel City!!

Edited by Jack Weber

London could support a team...

It'll be interesting to see if they come out in a few years..I hear that when Ivor Wynne is being renovated that the Ti-Cats might be playing out of TD Waterhouse Stadium on the campus of the University of Western Ontario...I heared that or the Rogers Centre in Toronto (I find that almost unpalatable...Eff Toronto and the Argonauts!!!)

The 'Cat's have to play a neutral site game this year in Moncton...Crowds were very good last year there for the Blew Team and Edmonton...

I think Quebec City would be the next place to go after Ottawa,though...PEPS Stadium on the Univeristy of Laval needs just a few more seats to be CFL ready...A Quebec City vs Montreal rivlary would be the next best thing to the Hamilton/Toronto rivalry!!!

Did you know there are more kids playing minor football in Quebec than playing minor hockey???

Edited by Jack Weber

Well I'm a football fan...NFL,CFL,CIS,NCAA,junior football...

Unlike most Canadians who think hockey is king,Football is king with me!!

I'm a former season ticket holder with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats...I played for 11 years...My Dad coached me for 3 of those years...His cousin's name is on the Grey Cup at least 4 times and he's in the Candian Football Hall of Fame (Jimmy Simpson)...You could say it's in my blood...Kiddo is playing JV Rep ball in Hamilton right now with Steel City...

The NFL is great on TV....I mean,it takes 40 freakin' seconds to get a play off so they can have umpteen different slowmo angles of a single play at almost any given time...Let's not forget the money and gambling aspect of the NFL that draws the premier atheletes out of the NCAA...

Hvaing said that,I've seen many very good players from the NFL come up here and fail miserably!

Vince Ferregammo,anyone?

David Overstreet,anyone?

Terry Metcalf,anyone?

Billy 'Whiteshoes" Johnson,anyone?

It's different game up here...It's far more traditional!!!...Only a youngish person who does'nt understand history would call the CFL rules "quirky"...They are,in essence,the correct rules for how the game should be played!

This is not to say I don't like the US version of the game,because I do.I just look at them being almost completely different requiring a completely different athletic skillset to compete.The US rules put a premium on size and power.This is because of the dimensions of the field.The "outside game" is'nt as much of a premium because there are 7.5 less yards on either side of the hash marks on a US field.In otherwords,lateral movement and speed is'nt as important as it is in Canada.Up here,size is'nt at a premium...Speed is...Particularily lateral speed to the sideline...

I'd go on,but kiddo's got to play in Rexdale tomorrow and whip Rob Ford's team...

Oskee Wee Wee and Go Steel City!!

Well said and right on the money Jack. And let us know how the team did.

The CFL is definitely not as entertaining as the NFL. And the CFL does have some pretty dumb rules. The giant endzones and rewarding a point for a missed field goals are the worst.

That all depends on what you're looking for...

The NFL is more entertaining on television because of the 40 second clock....By the way,how is it that an offence can get a delay of game penalty when they have 40 seconds to get a play off (I can remember when it was 45 seconds) and they have one less man to account for???

Live gameday experience between the whistles???

Other than the tailgate stuff,a live NFL game is about as interesting as watching paint dry in comparison to a CFL game...Way to much down time where literally nothing is going on...That's great for TV,not so great for someone paying money to watch football...

You really don't understand the concept of the Rouge if you think it's a reward for missing a Field Goal..It is,in fact,a penalty against the defending team for not running out the missed Field Goal because of those larger end zones...Call it a "Lazy Premium"...

The CFL is definitely not as entertaining as the NFL. And the CFL does have some pretty dumb rules. The giant endzones and rewarding a point for a missed field goals are the worst.

Argh. NFL gives me a hurt. Agonizingly dull. Jeeze, if you can't make 10 yards in 4 tries on a tiny field with a week to talk it over and no reason to look over your shoulder, just give it up and try a different game. See if you can find something that you are good at.

(...4 seats on the shady side, under the roof at Taylor field. 52 yard line, just in front of the tv cameras/commentators. Hated leaving those behind. Still bleed green-that's a permanent condition- but in a pinch, Oskee Wee Wee, too.)

The NFL is more entertaining on television because of the 40 second clock

No, it's more entertaining cause it's a better game, with better players.

By the way,how is it that an offence can get a delay of game penalty when they have 40 seconds to get a play off

It usually happens when defenses disguise and then show what type of defense they're ready to execute, and a QB tries to change a play at the line of scrimmage. Are you new to football or something?

a live NFL game is about as interesting as watching paint dry in comparison to a CFL game...Way to much down time where literally nothing is going on

The downtime is mostly a result of commerical opportunaties, and less about the game itself. I agree, there shouldn't be as much time between play, and definitely not as many commericial breaks. But shortening the 40 second clock is something the competition committee is looking into. But watching paint dry is how I'd describe trying to sit through a CFL game.

You really don't understand the concept of the Rouge if you think it's a reward for missing a Field Goal..It is,in fact,a penalty against the defending team for not running out the missed Field Goal because of those larger end zones...Call it a "Lazy Premium"...

Yes, I definitely don't understand rewarding a team for missing a field goal by making the opposing team have to run the ball from the missed kick out of the endzone. It's completely retarded.

No, it's more entertaining cause it's a better game, with better players.

It usually happens when defenses disguise and then show what type of defense they're ready to execute, and a QB tries to change a play at the line of scrimmage. Are you new to football or something?

The downtime is mostly a result of commerical opportunaties, and less about the game itself. I agree, there shouldn't be as much time between play, and definitely not as many commericial breaks. But shortening the 40 second clock is something the competition committee is looking into. But watching paint dry is how I'd describe trying to sit through a CFL game.

Yes, I definitely don't understand rewarding a team for missing a field goal by making the opposing team have to run the ball from the missed kick out of the endzone. It's completely retarded.

1.Suuuuurrreee it is...Because that's your well educated opinion on the subject,right???

Could you explain that list of players I provided??

Let's add former Heisman Trophy winner Anthony Davis to that list ,as well...

2.Ummm..You did know that both offences and defences can call pre snap audibles,right?The reason is because of overly complex plays,excessive roster sizes,and, situation substitutions by coaches using incomplete football players who are only good at one specific skill....

Why don't people follow Vince Lombardi??

Why are'nt there more Chuck Bednarik's?

By the way,I'll forget more about this sport than you will ever hope to know...

3.Wrong..The commercial opportunities are there because of the down time...As I said,I remember when the NFL used a 45 second play clock...And they still get delay of game penalties with 40 seconds..Only 20 seconds up here with 1 extra man per side and 7.5 yards extra to get to a huddle...Yeah...NFL superiorty!!!

By the way,you'll never hear anyone who has ever played the game denegrate one or the other leagues..It usually done by know nothing fans who don't know any better...

As I said before,I don't look at either as superior or inferior because completely different athletic skill sets are required to be successful in either league.I also don't bow down to the NFL marketing machine because I know better than to fall for the bells and whistles...

By the way,you'll never hear anyone who has ever played the game denegrate one or the other leagues..It usually done by know nothing fans who don't know any better...

Of course that is it right there.

Heck, I have even been known to watch a little UFL now and then. :D

The UFL...

The home of JP Lossman...

I did not know that both Jim Fassel and Marty 11-5enheimer were coaching in the UFL...I had heared that it was in serious financial difficulty...

I have to say,I actually watched some of the old XFL games..

Remember "He Hate Me" Rod Smart?

Edited by Jack Weber

Here's the thing about the CFL, it way to simplistic. When you shorten a drive to potentially 3 plays instead of 4 is limits what an offense can do. Draw Play, Pass. Pass, Pass.

Where as in American Football, you get 4 plays to develop something and the defense has to match, it the greatest example of Chess on a sports field.

Do they even do play-action passes in the CFL? Oh wait all the snaps are from the shotgun so NO!

The 20-yard end-zone is almost comical too. As with the wider field. It's like they do things to make it harder for an offense to do what they want but by adding to every dimension of the field and allowing an extra player.

And yes the Rouge is stupid, as is the fact they've never thought to move the goal posts to the back of the endzone, but I guess with a 20 yard end zone you wouldn't be able to score a FG unless you got within the 20.

Also citing Great US College players that have flopped in Canada doesn't make the CFL better. Remember when Ricky Williams came up for a season. One of the best Tailbacks in recent NFL history didn't exactly destroy CFL records, but that's because he's a between the tackles runner and that's not the type of game the CFL is. I wouldn't be surprised if there are starting Offensive Linemen in the CFL that are under 250 lbs.

One of the best CFL success stories in recent history is Cameron Wake coming from the CFL and playing in a Pro Bowl in his second season as an NFLer.

Since there may NOT be a NFL season this year I'll attempt to watch a bit more CFL to get my fix. But it'll never be as good if you ask me. But as both an Argo and a Dolphin fan, I find watching Cleo Lemon very difficult.

Here's the thing about the CFL, it way to simplistic. When you shorten a drive to potentially 3 plays instead of 4 is limits what an offense can do. Draw Play, Pass. Pass, Pass.

Where as in American Football, you get 4 plays to develop something and the defense has to match, it the greatest example of Chess on a sports field.

Do they even do play-action passes in the CFL? Oh wait all the snaps are from the shotgun so NO!

The 20-yard end-zone is almost comical too. As with the wider field. It's like they do things to make it harder for an offense to do what they want but by adding to every dimension of the field and allowing an extra player.

And yes the Rouge is stupid, as is the fact they've never thought to move the goal posts to the back of the endzone, but I guess with a 20 yard end zone you wouldn't be able to score a FG unless you got within the 20.

Also citing Great US College players that have flopped in Canada doesn't make the CFL better. Remember when Ricky Williams came up for a season. One of the best Tailbacks in recent NFL history didn't exactly destroy CFL records, but that's because he's a between the tackles runner and that's not the type of game the CFL is. I wouldn't be surprised if there are starting Offensive Linemen in the CFL that are under 250 lbs.

One of the best CFL success stories in recent history is Cameron Wake coming from the CFL and playing in a Pro Bowl in his second season as an NFLer.

Since there may NOT be a NFL season this year I'll attempt to watch a bit more CFL to get my fix. But it'll never be as good if you ask me. But as both an Argo and a Dolphin fan, I find watching Cleo Lemon very difficult.

So afetr all that...Slagging the CFL...Wishing it was more "Americanized"...

It comes out..

You're an Argo fan...

No wonder you think the CFL sucks!!!

:P:lol:

Edited by Jack Weber

I also don't bow down to the NFL marketing machine because I know better than to fall for the bells and whistles...

Isn't that the half of it though? The self-aggrandizement/self-importance is poured on so thick that it wrecks the experience before you even start. For those who honestly want to watch the game, the bells and whistles are not an attraction, but an unwelcome annoyance.

NFL puts me off for many of the same reasons that professional baseball leaves me cold: I only have so much time available to listen to gratuitous self-love while the one-trick wonders scratch their privates and spit. It just doesn't live up to the billing.

BTW, speaking of not living up to the billing, the name that came immediately to my mind was Rocket Ishmael from way back. He was a fine runner, but nothing like the quality CFL player he was paid to be. If he hadn't been recieiving such an unholy amount of money compared to other deserving players, I'd have honestly felt sorry for him.

BTW, speaking of not living up to the billing, the name that came immediately to my mind was Rocket Ishmael from way back. He was a fine runner, but nothing like the quality CFL player he was paid to be. If he hadn't been recieiving such an unholy amount of money compared to other deserving players, I'd have honestly felt sorry for him.

The Argos won the Grey Cup the year they signed Ishmael did they not?