riots in Vancouver after NHL playoff loss

So you thought that soccer hooligans were bad. Looks as if we are entering a new era of home spun hooliganism. The recent riot in Vancouver is a real embarrassment to the nation. Imagine those in other lands who watch our coverage of the G8 car burning and window smashing....must think - "Those Canadians are at it again...they use to be such a civlized country".

Here is what I am wondering. Hockey games are like rock concerts and they just like the rock promoters have promoters of their own - who I might add walked away with a tidey profit in the millions after last nights Stanley Cup play off. The damage to the down town core will be in the millions - probably within same range of figures that the profits will be for the promoters. Looks like a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. The tax payers and insurance companies will have to foot the bill for the destruction...IF it were a rock concert and the crowd got out of hand - you could launch a suit for damages against the promoters.

Of course they will blame in on poor and unprepared law envforcement and say that the cops and the city should be sued. I believe that who ever was the major profiteer should foot the bill...Why should the promoters walk away with a huge pocket of cash that will eventually come out of the tax payers pocket when it comes time to pay for the repairs and restoration.

I cannot believe what I am reading. Hockey riots? I would expect this in Gaza or Damascus, not Canada. I wasn't looking for this story. I was exploring my new subscription to NP's electronic edition and stumbled on this. I am shocked.

VANCOUVER — Chaos erupted on the streets of downtown Vancouver on Wednesday night as hockey fans — fuelled by booze and the Vancouver Canucks' crushing Stanley Cup defeat — overturned and set ablaze vehicles, smashed windows of several businesses, and got into fist fights.

A line of police clad in full riot gear pushed crowds back in successive waves outside the main post office, where most of the trouble originated then spread several blocks.

At the height of the riot, there were well in excess of 100,000 people, officials said.

"It's unfortunate that this will be the lasting memory of what was a great Stanley Cup run in Vancouver," said Vancouver police spokeswoman Jana McGuinness.

Trouble started as the seconds wound down at the end of the game as people began to throw beer bottles at giant screens that had been showing the game, witnesses said.

******************* (snip)

Yours would be the 3rd. Don't people look at the previous threads before starting another one on the same topic? Ah well.

I did look but didn't see, honestly. I saw one on "why people don't watch sports anymore" or something to that effect. I don't know that that thread and mine are the same.

Really? You failed to see the line under it that said "Riots after Canucks lose Game 7?"

Just sayin.

Yeah. My seeing-eye dog couldn't pick that up.

With all the whining, which IMO was mostly fake , more to the ''I hate harper'' then the G8/20 meetings. Did that make vancouvers officials a little timid when it came to giving orders to the police dept on how to deal with what ever happens after the game. Did they try to avoid the critizms that TO went thru when they got tough on the demostrators? Do we need to suspend all rights after these events , so anyone that gets caught where they are not supposed to be or doing what they are not supposed to be doing, in which we can just throw them in jail for a month and a huge fine. It seems this is not just a handful of people ,but it is becoming cool with the young crowd to get out and destroy stuff. IS it time just to start breaking a few heads to get the point across? Thoughts?

Not sure this would be right or wrong but if they had had a water cannon, they could have cooled off the roiters and put of the fires as soon as they had started. I listen to the Premier, and she was very firm and direct with the rioters and I don't think they would want to mess with her in the future. Maybe they should start making thses guys pay financially for what they destroy.

There is no doubt we are too tolerant of this kind of crap. Dealing with a riot can be a touchy situation. The police can actually escalate the violence by coming down too hard at the wrong time. The real problem is no follow up after the fact. A mere slap on the wrist or nothing at all for most of them.

I'm hoping social media will help accomplish something that our legal system is prepared to do. For instance, for those yahoos who are gainfully employed or looking for a good job, I wonder how much they will like their present or prospective employers looking at some of those pics.

Edited by Wilber

The most violent protesters always seem to be lefties these days. They have no respect for other people and other people's property.

Yeah uh huh.

But did you know the most violent are lefties, but right wingers are far more prone to more violent outbursts...just not really realy bad violence.

(post #3,dumbest post of the day)

Edited by guyser

I'm hoping social media will help accomplish something that our legal system is prepared to do. For instance, for those yahoos who are gainfully employed or looking for a good job, I wonder how much they will like their present or prospective employers looking at some of those pics.

Seems as if your wish will come true.

My punishment for the idiots that get indentified is not an arrest , nor incarceration. Lets just round up a bunch of people and go to their house and trash it,break windows, smash the car,smear paint around the room , maybe a little tricycle tire fire in the living room (dont need a big tire) and then videotape the reaction for You Tube. Then everyone and their brother can chime in and laugh at the crying little wankers.

With all the whining, which IMO was mostly fake , more to the ''I hate harper'' then the G8/20 meetings. Did that make vancouvers officials a little timid when it came to giving orders to the police dept on how to deal with what ever happens after the game. Did they try to avoid the critizms that TO went thru when they got tough on the demostrators? Do we need to suspend all rights after these events , so anyone that gets caught where they are not supposed to be or doing what they are not supposed to be doing, in which we can just throw them in jail for a month and a huge fine. It seems this is not just a handful of people ,but it is becoming cool with the young crowd to get out and destroy stuff. IS it time just to start breaking a few heads to get the point across? Thoughts?

In both the G20 and this latest Vancouver riot, the bulk of the violence took place where there was a lack of police presence. The main difference is that the T.O. cops overcompensated by going after peaceful protesters in areas away from the hotspots, which would be like if the Vancouver cops went out and cracked the heads of all the people trying to cleanup down town in the aftermath of the riots there.

Really thought that the privledged young people - and if you notice the rioters were mostly big strapping white boys..........would have been educated to the point that we have aware and wise new citizens...apparently our school system has failed -- but what do you expect when big buisness and politicals go back to the ancient Roman manual on how to control the population through the GAMES......it's still the same old way of doing things - to bad our rich and powerful did not have powerful minds ----------- they are as dumb as Obama and Bush - when all else fails go to the play book and have a war...such stupidity based in privledge.

My daughter assisted in the co-ordination of a "we day" at the ACC....it was her job to make sure 22 thousand kids got in and out safely...You would think that our adult experts could have managed this forseeable tiff......They should have kept it under control instead of letting nature and boooze take it's course....