riots in Vancouver after NHL playoff loss

He seems to think that riots don't happen in first world countries...except that they often do.

Yeah these things can happen anywhere. Heres a list of them...

1964 Lima football riot

1971 South Africa rugby union tour of Australia

1972 European Cup Winners' Cup Final riots

1980 Scottish Cup Final

1981 South Africa rugby union tour of New Zealand

1985 Kenilworth Road riot

1993 Stanley Cup Riot

1994 Stanley Cup riot

2006 Basel Hooligan Incident

2007 Catania football violence

2008 Congo football riots

2008 UEFA Cup Final riots

2011 Stanley Cup riot

Aggieville Riots

2007 A.S. Roma–Manchester United F.C. conflict

Czechoslovak Hockey Riots

Dinamo Zagreb–Red Star Belgrade riot

El Cajon Boulevard Riot

Mihalis Filopoulos

Football riots Široki Brijeg-Sarajevo

Heysel Stadium disaster

1967 Kayseri Atatürk Stadium disaster

Michigan State University student riot

Nika riots

Richard Riot

Rowbottom (riot)

Sydney Riot of 1879

Ten Cent Beer Night

2009 Upton Park riots

This link lets you click on them to read more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Sports_riots

But the really funny thing here is that anyone would expect a HOCKEY riot in Gaza or Damascus...

You are still stuck on the right-left thing, which will prevent you from really seeing things as they are.

Why do left-wingers all wear official Canucks merchandise? :lol;

But if someone really can't tell the difference between an left-winger and an anarchist, they should stop criticizing teachers and just admit they need to go back to school.

Edited by BubberMiley

Why do left-wingers all wear official Canucks merchandise? :lol;

But if someone really can't tell the difference between an left-winger and an anarchist, they should stop criticizing teachers and just admit they need to go back to school.

I don't think any more time in school is going to help the person in question...

Yeah these things can happen anywhere. Heres a list of them...

1964 Lima football riot

1971 South Africa rugby union tour of Australia

1972 European Cup Winners' Cup Final riots

1980 Scottish Cup Final

1981 South Africa rugby union tour of New Zealand

1985 Kenilworth Road riot

1993 Stanley Cup Riot

1994 Stanley Cup riot

2006 Basel Hooligan Incident

2007 Catania football violence

2008 Congo football riots

2008 UEFA Cup Final riots

2011 Stanley Cup riot

Aggieville Riots

2007 A.S. Roma–Manchester United F.C. conflict

Czechoslovak Hockey Riots

Dinamo Zagreb–Red Star Belgrade riot

El Cajon Boulevard Riot

Mihalis Filopoulos

Football riots Široki Brijeg-Sarajevo

Heysel Stadium disaster

1967 Kayseri Atatürk Stadium disaster

Michigan State University student riot

Nika riots

Richard Riot

Rowbottom (riot)

Sydney Riot of 1879

Ten Cent Beer Night

2009 Upton Park riots

This link lets you click on them to read more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Sports_riots

But the really funny thing here is that anyone would expect a HOCKEY riot in Gaza or Damascus...

Speaking as a casual sports fan, I have to say that dedicated sports fans, regardless of the sport, are the stupidest, most boneheaded clowns in the population. Otherwise, you grow out of this stage in life instead of spending hundreds of dollars on tickets in your middle years. So, I'm not surprised that winning the Stanley Cup...losing in the final game...can lead to riots afterwards. At least in Greece, there are people in the streets demonstrating and rioting about things that actually affect their daily lives! Who in their right mind really gives a shit about a game? It's just a game! The world will be exactly the same the next day regardless of who won and who lost.

Sports just creates crowds of people. Within those crowds, drunk men (and the women who lift their shirts) between the ages of 18 and 25 (of no particular political affiliation) are what fuel riots, particularly if there is an organized group of anarchists prepared to instigate it. The larger the crowd, the bigger the riot. It really has little to do with sports at all.

But I wonder if it has more to do with a pervading sense of alienation among young adults when housing costs make it unrealistic to ever expect to own your own home.

Nah, probably not. They're just drunk and stupid.

Anglo Spring...............could it be with the expansion of immigration - multi-culturalism..and the internal displacement of the established anglo elite that they have figured out that they are an oppressed minority? Maybe that is where all the anger and frustration came from?

The interesting part of this to me isn't the riot itself, which is nothing new. The interesting part to me was the role that social media is playing in the aftermath.

We're at a point in history where everybody has a camera and a video-recorder in their pocket, and the means to publish their pictures and videos to an audience of millions. There are a number of websites involved in collecting and posting photos and videos of rioters, and a lot of people are visiting those sites to see if people they know are in those videos. There's now a Facebook group with 100,000 members devoted to the same task.

...a task which has been made easier thanks to some morons boasting of their riot exploits on their own facebook pages.

http://www.vancouverriots.com/

http://publicshamingeternus.wordpress.com/

-k

. . . particularly if there is an organized group of anarchists prepared to instigate it.

Has anyone heard of any political message being posted that would indicate that "anarchists" were involved?

I suspect this is more accurate:

Nah, probably not. They're just drunk and stupid.

:-]

Who cares???

You seem to. You're posting in this thread.

Three weeks until a real sport starts...

I'm not sure how hockey isn't a real sport. Look, just because you don't find a sport appealing, doesn't mean it isn't real. There are several sports that I'm not particularly interested in. But I wouldn't call them non-sports because of it. :rolleyes:

You seem to. You're posting in this thread.

I'm not sure how hockey isn't a real sport. Look, just because you don't find a sport appealing, doesn't mean it isn't real. There are several sports that I'm not particularly interested in. But I wouldn't call them non-sports because of it. :rolleyes:

Ummm, Shady, you feeling ok?

We agree again.

Did you and Jack agree to do some kind of role reversal where Jack looks like the twit and you look like the reasonable one? :P

Did you and Jack agree to do some kind of role reversal where Jack looks like the twit and you look like the reasonable one? :P

Not that I'm aware of. It goes to show how far Jack has sunk. It's pretty sad when I have to be the voice of reason. :)

"Hey everybody! Look! I'm not watching hockey! Hey, I like baseball! Hey, everybody, listen! I don't even like hockey! I'm telling you, I don't like hockey! Didn't anybody hear me the first 100 times when I said I don't like hockey? Everybody pay attention! I'm telling you, I don't like hockey! I like baseball! And football! Doesn't anybody want to talk about baseball with me? Please?"

-k

{not sure how playing football all winter long makes anymore sense than playing hockey in June.}

"Hey everybody! Look! I'm not watching hockey! Hey, I like baseball! Hey, everybody, listen! I don't even like hockey! I'm telling you, I don't like hockey! Didn't anybody hear me the first 100 times when I said I don't like hockey? Everybody pay attention! I'm telling you, I don't like hockey! I like baseball! And football! Doesn't anybody want to talk about baseball with me? Please?"

Zing! :lol:

It's funny cause it's true. It literally has been 100 times of telling us! :lol:

-k

{not sure how playing football all winter long makes anymore sense than playing hockey in June.}

Don't you have a special meat lovers club meeting to go to?

• 2 months later...

I was disappointed to see people rioting in Vancouver because I have so much respect for that city and for Canada in general. If it's any consolation, I knew for certain as an outsider that it was a minority of dirtbags doing all the violence. I have a friend from high school who lives there now. I went through something similar when I was living in Denver when the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup and later the Broncos won the Super Bowl. The vast majority of Coloradans are decent people and are good sportsmen. A pro sports championship was a huge deal for that city that had been through a ton of sports heartache. I actually went to downtown Denver after the Broncos won their first Super Bowl. The vast majority of fans were just celebrating and having fun, and then a few criminals got violent, smashing store windows and setting stuff on fire. It sucks to see a small number of people give a city a bad name. I'm sure it was the same in Vancouver. I would hope so. I'm seriously considering moving there if I can find a way to swing it via immigration laws.