The rest of Canada not cheering for the Canucks?

O

Here's the difference...

In hockey,if a fight starts,the players onvolved get a penalty...This amounts to a "go sit in the corner" (penalty box) type of thing...

If someone starts a fight in a football game,which is probably one of the more idiotic things one can do considering the equipment involved,one gets...

1.Immediately ejected from the contest...

2.Usually suspended...

3.At the pro level,fined a large sum of money

It almost always works the same in baseball....

That's the way it works in just about every sport but hockey.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manny's back. Second highest faceoff percentage in the league this year. A Canadian by the way. The number one guy is an American. Be proud.

Really? I guess I don't think of it that way. Teams maybe, but not individuals for team sports. Hockey is just not that big a draw in the US. I do know that the CFL limits the number of foreign (import) players, so maybe that's part of the deal in preserving Canadian culture?

Really? I guess I don't think of it that way. Teams maybe, but not individuals for team sports. Hockey is just not that big a draw in the US. I do know that the CFL limits the number of foreign (import) players, so maybe that's part of the deal in preserving Canadian culture?

It may not be that big a draw but along with baseball and soccer, hockey is the most international of the major professional sports in North America, maybe the most international.

The CFL limits the number of foreign players for a number of reasons. Aside from the game being very different, more players, bigger field, fewer downs to name a few differences, the number of schools in the US greatly outnumbers those in Canada meaning Canadian players are greatly outnumbered. College football is not big business in Canada like it is in the US. Students are there to be educated and athletic scholarships are capped and cannot exceed tuition. Otherwise Canadian universities must compete in the NCAA or NAIA. This is a big reason you find so many Canadians on athletic scholarships at US schools. Simon Fraser University is the notable exception. They used to compete in the NAIA then returned to the CIS but next year will be in the NCAA.

Also, the cost of salaries for high priced imports would make if very difficult for some CFL teams but I guess the short answer to your question would be, in part at least, yes.

Edited by Wilber

...Also the cost of salaries for high priced imports would make if very difficult for some CFL teams but I guess the short answer to your question would be, in part at least, yes.

I am not aware of any such "import" limitations for American teams. The largest single revenue generating sport for all levels in the US is golf, followed by racetracks of all types, and both are many times more than any of the four major league professional sports.

I am not aware of any such "import" limitations for American teams. The largest single revenue generating sport for all levels in the US is golf, followed by racetracks of all types, and both are many times more than any of the four major league professional sports.

Your market is huge in the US. Your biggest revenue generator for professional teams is television. That scale doesn't exist in Canada.

Box lacrosse is very similar to hockey with a similar code of conduct.

Agreed. My son plays both, neither are games for the meek (not as a spectator or a player). It's not just violence for the sake of violence though, regardless of what some commentators might think. There most definitely is a code, and parameters within what type of violence is and is not appropriate. There is a similar requirement to not back away when challenged either. A lot of sports use the cliched metaphors comparing the competition to the field of battle, but hockey and lacrosse personify the concept of going to war more than any others.

That one might reach a broader audience by making either sport kinder and gentler is not a good argument, IMO. The rabid fans love these sports because they are so tough. The pansification of these great sports would not be worth the few extra eyeballs.

It's not necessarily a given that less violence automatically would mean more fans either. The fastest growing sport in the world right now is nothing but violence. Most of the rule changes they've made to make Mixed Martial Arts more and more mainstream have served to make it more violent, not less. It was far safer back when it was considered a "banned blood sport" than it is now as mainstream entertainment.

One day to go, time to get this thread back to the subject of hockey. Some of the talk radio discussions in Vancouver center around Colin Campbell and the fact he has a son on the Boston team. The question is, does this not represent a conflict of interest? The League will never admit anything with Bettman at the helm, but it does make fodder for the rumour mill.

One day to go, time to get this thread back to the subject of hockey. Some of the talk radio discussions in Vancouver center around Colin Campbell and the fact he has a son on the Boston team. The question is, does this not represent a conflict of interest? The League will never admit anything with Bettman at the helm, but it does make fodder for the rumour mill.

That's why Campbell recuses himself from disciplinary cases involving the Bruins. Of course, Vancouver fans love a good conspiracy theory.

I think its good news, because people will put the calls under a microscope.

The NHL has some of the worst officials in the history of organized sport... they arent even "bias" and I dont believe theres a "conspiracy" but theyre really fuckin bad. Im hoping the refs can refrain from trying to be the story of the game, and restrict the calls to the blatant ones.

But you just dont know what youre going to see... Will it be like the Chicago series with very few penalties and lots of stuff being let go? Or like the last series with a shitload of pointless calls going both ways that just slows down the game?

You never can tell with these idiots.

Personnaly, I'm a habs fan and I watch a lot of games during the regular season. And if they play during the playoffs I'm even more excited but once they get eliminated, I just lose interest in hockey and simply switch to another sport. For some reasons, I've never been that much interested in the teams that are part of the Western conference, even if they're Canadians.

Even so, I hope Canucks will win, because they're a Canadian team and I don't like the Bruins, but I'm still not planning on watching the games.

More bad news for BD. Boston did everything they could and are now down 2 games. The Canucks just keep finding a way to win. Although Thomas has been beatable. The first goal was a sharp angle shot, a weak goal that Thomas let dribble through him. The OT goal saw Thomas way over commit and unable to defend against the wrap around goal by Burrows. This guy seems overrated.

More bad news for BD. Boston did everything they could and are now down 2 games. The Canucks just keep finding a way to win. Although Thomas has been beatable. The first goal was a sharp angle shot, a weak goal that Thomas let dribble through him. The OT goal saw Thomas way over commit and unable to defend against the wrap around goal by Burrows. This guy seems overrated.

Thomas sure looked better last night than Ro8erto 7uon6o. :lol:

Also, this series is showing to the rest of the country what those of us who've spent time out west already know: there's no trashier team of punks than Vancouver. First "Bitey" Burrows, then Classy Lappy, now Rome with a blindside headshot to Thornton. Rome should get th rest of the series and a chunk of next year as well. Of course a piece of garbage bottom pairing defenceman for one of the better B's is a tradeoff the 'nucks will be happy to take.

That'd be great then us real Canadians will have something to do all year round.

real Canadians? A real Canadian spends their time screaming and yelling at players on the TV thinking they can be heard?

Thomas sure looked better last night than Ro8erto 7uon6o. :lol:

Also, this series is showing to the rest of the country what those of us who've spent time out west already know: there's no trashier team of punks than Vancouver. First "Bitey" Burrows, then Classy Lappy, now Rome with a blindside headshot to Thornton. Rome should get th rest of the series and a chunk of next year as well. Of course a piece of garbage bottom pairing defenceman for one of the better B's is a tradeoff the 'nucks will be happy to take.

Trashy? The Bruins have their own trash groove going. Don't you remember Ference fingering the Montreal fans after scoring? Dirty hits by Bruins like Chara don't stick in your memory banks and you're a Hab fan? I guess you hate the Nucks more.

What's funny about the Rome thing is Rome was injured for 2 games in the Shark series, a hit from behind that got no suspension. Eager also drove Daniel Sedin into the boards from behind and neither gets a suspension. Now Rome gets 4 games for merely a late hit. It's obvious that the league bases suspensions on injuries. This means that the head shots will continue because they only result in injury/suspension about 25% of the time.

At any rate the Nucks will be okay on D. The question is will they score on the PP or let Boston off the hook. Time will tell.

Edited by sharkman

It's obvious that the league bases suspensions on injuries. This means that the head shots will continue because they only result in injury/suspension about 25% of the time.

I agree.

Basing penalties on consequences rather than the behaviours that tend to lead to bad consequences is a very poor way to manage a sport.

Trashy? The Bruins have their own trash groove going. Don't you remember Ference fingering the Montreal fans after scoring? Dirty hits by Bruins like Chara don't stick in your memory banks and you're a Hab fan? I guess you hate the Nucks more.

Chara's hit was illegal, but non intent to injure. As for Ference, well, yeah. But collectively, there's no doucheier team than the Canucks.

What's funny about the Rome thing is Rome was injured for 2 games in the Shark series, a hit from behind that got no suspension. Eager also drove Daniel Sedin into the boards from behind and neither gets a suspension. Now Rome gets 4 games for merely a late hit. It's obvious that the league bases suspensions on injuries. This means that the head shots will continue because they only result in injury/suspension about 25% of the time.

I've come up with a term for this: "Canuck logic". It holds that, because the league has screwed up and shown an inconsistent approach before, it should continue to apply the same inconsistency when dealing with (especially when dealing with) a Vancouver player.

And you don't think the severity of the injury should have any bearing on the punishment?