The rest of Canada not cheering for the Canucks?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they started their season a month after the NHL. So they started later AND finished sooner.

NBA doesn't have anywhere near the level of physical contact (speed and impact) that NHL does. NHL players need more rest/recovery time.

Huh? For coming in second place in the league? Give it a rest.

Second place is just the first loser.

If I understand properly, the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup. Vancouver has lost. (Do I have this right?)

----

I have a question for posters on this forum: How many players on the Boston team are Canadian? How many American?

IMV, nationalism/ideology/religion should be treated as we North Americans treat hockey or baseball teams.

In North America, Canadian fans shout for a baseball team (Toronto Blue Jays) filled with American players, and American fans shout for a hockey team (Boston) filled with Canadians. Imagine.

Now, imagine a world where Muslims shout for a team of Christians. Imagine.

You were always picked last on every team you ever played on,were'nt you???

A reasonable $1,000,000 fine + community work for being caught at this event should suffice. Since houses cost a bundle in Vancouver, perhaps a second mortgage on the abode will make these idiots take notice...or their parents.

They have humiliated themselves and in some ways, all of Canada. What happened there is good reason for why the rest of Canada is not cheering for the Canucks. And after this, probably never will be.

According to the VPD, most of those arrested with masks and weapons were the same individuals arrested for the same thing during the Olympics. The question should be, why do we continue to put up with this shit from people like this?

According to the VPD, most of those arrested with masks and weapons were the same individuals arrested for the same thing during the Olympics. The question should be, why do we continue to put up with this shit from people like this?

That's the part I really don't get. There seems to be an increasing trend of certain people specifically going where ever they think a crowd is going to gather for the express purpose of creating public mayhem. Throw on a hockey jersey, and it's easy to blend in with thousands of fans until the moment you are ready to burn that car.

Being involved in anything like this of course should lead to criminal charges. But if the same person is arrested for similar acts at a different event? That has to be dealt with particularly harshly.

Yes perhaps it was a pre-planned event staged by 'anarchists', a nice way for the city to put off the blame on itself. Given the fact that these things have happened before in Van, under the exct same circumstances, the authorities SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER. And by my reckoning, should be held accountable for their failures.

Second thing is, despite the violence perpetrated by a small group of 'anarchists', the tens of thousands of spectators who would not go home added considerably to the problem. Did they not realize that their presence there made it impossible for police to quell the situation? Why did these people not leave? That's what decent folk would do!

Because they wanted to stay and watch the fun, they wanted to see it first hand and show their grotesque mugs on the TV camera, and take videos of burning cars and smashed out storefronts. There was almost 100,000 people in the crowd at one point. Are these too just a small group of anarchists?

They have humiliated themselves and in some ways, all of Canada. What happened there is good reason for why the rest of Canada is not cheering for the Canucks. And after this, probably never will be.

Yeah!

The I-don't-cheer-for-the-Canucks-because-of-some-rioters-who-got-out-of-control-due-to-poor-police-response fan. :rolleyes:

Yeah!

The I-don't-cheer-for-the-Canucks-because-of-some-rioters-who-got-out-of-control-due-to-poor-police-response fan. :rolleyes:

There was already lots of reasons why real Canadians don't like the Vancouver Canuks. I have indicated some excellent reasons why in my recent rants.

To put it concisely, they just don't have the gumption! (said with a closed fist)

Now this sad episode only adds to our general dislike of that team, and the city that it hails from...

There was already lots of reasons why real Canadians don't like the Vancouver Canuks. I have indicated some excellent reasons why in my recent rants.

To put it concisely, they just don't have the gumption! (said with a closed fist)

Now this sad episode only adds to our general dislike of that team, and the city that it hails from...

Ah yes... "real Canadians" :lol:

Except they have warmed some hearts with the pitching in and helping clean up the mess.

It looks good on the city. And for what its worth, CNN featured that story on the morning news.

Except they have warmed some hearts with the pitching in and helping clean up the mess.

It looks good on the city. And for what its worth, CNN featured that story on the morning news.

Much appreciation to those who troubled themselves to go out and help with the cleanup! Reports show that it was about 5000 people who volunteered their personal time.

However, given that fact that almost 100,000 showed up for the event, this amounts to 5000/100000. In toher words, Vancouver is 5% good people, 95% assholes.

Well they're talking out of both sides of their mouth here.

On the one hand:

Police say some of the rioters who lit cars on fire and looted stores also took part in the anarchist protests during last year's 2010 Winter Olympic Games. Chu said many of the rioters came downtown armed with masks, goggles and gasoline.

On the other:

“The vast majority of people were not from Vancouver. They were from the suburbs, they were from the Interior”

link

"Anarchists" may have played a part, but it's naive to think the blame doesn't rest primarily on the suburban lunkheads who make up the bulk of the offenders.

Edited by Black Dog