The rest of Canada not cheering for the Canucks?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question here is: why would you?

:) Impossible to explain geekdom...and sports fans are decidedly geeks. Without exception. Just like comics enthusiasts, Trekkies, and those thrilled and fascinated by military hardware.

I think comic book geeks should take great comfort in this pretty obvious truism, since they are unfairly singled out.

But ok, I know...you were speaking specifically of baseball.

Well, what can I say? It's an awful sport...not as bad as football, of course, that's not even debatable, but a drudgery nonetheless. But it's a drudgery I never personally find dull. :)

Except it is a lot harder to hit a round ball with a round bat than a flat one. So the degree of difficulty goes to baseball. Plus the batters in baseball don't wear protective gloves, while in cricket they do. Since you mentioned gloves. :D

As for rugby, well, football was invented to improve upon it, especially the forward pass.

I wouldn't dispute the skill level required to play baseball, some of the plays they make are quite spectacular. It is harder to hit a round ball with a round bat but in baseball you aren't trying to hit a ball that is being bounced off the ground right at your feet. Hence the protective gloves and pads for the batter.

Improvement is a relative term. Comparing football and rugby is much like comparing baseball with other sports. Because play is not non stop in football and baseball, coaches and managers have far more influence on the way a game is played. They differ from other sports like soccer and hockey in that they consist of a sequence of set plays. Some people like that, others don't so much. They really are different games.

The real question here is: why would you?

Because, as indicated by BM, it is part of the engaged fan ritual. Baseball game programs still have a scoring template and player rosters/numbers to document the game just like a pro. You can tell exactly what happened in the game by inning one hundred years later without videotape. Hockey and other sports do not have this level of gametime "intimacy" with fans.

Because, as indicated by BM, it is part of the engaged fan ritual. Baseball game programs still have a scoring template and player rosters/numbers to document the game just like a pro. You can tell exactly what happened in the game by inning one hundred years later without videotape. Hockey and other sports do not have this level of gametime "intimacy" with fans.

I hadn't thought of it quite that way, but this is exactly right.

Wow. That does nothing but reinforce my earlier, tongue in cheek comment about baseball fans having a lot of time on their hands. And this is the de facto national sport of a country that considers soccer boring.

But I guess different strokes for different folks: some people like sports that involve athleticism and feats of dazzling physical exertion. Others like baseball.

Wow. That does nothing but reinforce my earlier, tongue in cheek comment about baseball fans having a lot of time on their hands. And this is the de facto national sport of a country that considers soccer boring.

But I guess different strokes for different folks: some people like sports that involve athleticism and feats of dazzling physical exertion. Others like baseball.

:)

Or NASCAR.

Oh, wait; you said sports, sorry.

Soccer (football) is very popular in the United States (and Canada), but does not have as much a fan following. Boring is a relative thing, and if ticket and television revenue is an indicator, boring baseball makes a lot more dough than boring soccer or hockey.

Yes...dazzling...like Mr. Bertuzzi:

In a rematch five days later, however, the Canucks were more active in physically pursuing Moore. In one of four fights in the first period, Canucks forward Matt Cooke fought Moore six minutes into the game. At the first intermission, NHL executive vice-president Colin Campbell and director of officiating Andy van Hellemond placed a phone call to the two referees overseeing the game to discuss the potential for an escalation in physicality.

With Colorado leading 8–2 midway through the third period, Bertuzzi began following Moore around the ice, attempting to provoke him into another fight. With Moore ignoring him, Bertuzzi grabbed Moore's jersey from behind and punched him in the back of the head. Bertuzzi, as well as several other players from both teams, landed atop Moore as he fell to the ice. Canucks fans initially cheered at Bertuzzi's actions, but as it became apparent Moore was seriously injured, the stadium became silent.

Not sure why you keep bringing up Bertuzzi, like there are no thugs, thieves or other miscreants in baseball, football or any other sport.

The great Ty Cobb.

Cobb, who was a notorious racist, fought a black groundskeeper over the condition of the Tigers' field in Augusta, Georgia at Spring Training in 1907. Cobb also ended up choking the man's wife when she intervened

Not sure why you keep bringing up Bertuzzi, like there are no thugs, thieves or other miscreants in baseball, football or any other sport.

The great Ty Cobb. .

:)

One might make some interesting distinctions between 1907 and 2011.

(I'm talking about the racism. That Cobb was a sonofabitch has been well-established, that's true.)

And also, it is directly participating in the playing of the game, when you are the scorekeeper for the league your kids are playing in.

I wouldn't dispute the skill level required to play baseball, some of the plays they make are quite spectacular. It is harder to hit a round ball with a round bat but in baseball you aren't trying to hit a ball that is being bounced off the ground right at your feet. Hence the protective gloves and pads for the batter.

The velocity of the cricket ball is also lessened when it is bounced off the ground. And baseball batters don't wear face cages either. :)

Improvement is a relative term. Comparing football and rugby is much like comparing baseball with other sports. Because play is not non stop in football and baseball, coaches and managers have far more influence on the way a game is played. They differ from other sports like soccer and hockey in that they consist of a sequence of set plays. Some people like that, others don't so much. They really are different games.

Well, "not non stop" is a relative term as well as I have watched some rugby games that are a series of scrums between and whole sequence of stoppages on whistles.

But I do like rugby, always have, especially sevens. So I am not going to get too disrespectful. :D

Because what he did was the most despicable act I have ever seen in sport, and that includes Juan Marichal hitting John Roseboro in the head with a bat at home plate in 1965 (yea, I'm that old).

I hope the Canucks win the Cup....now that Bertuzzi is gone.

And while I guess, overall, I prefer watching hockey to baseball....I prefer playing baseball. It's beautiful to play, unexplainable. Exciting and serene at the same time.

(I'm sure the fact that I'm a very slow skater has a little to do with my choice....:))

Any sport where you can drink while on the field of play is not really a sport to me.

Because what he did was the most despicable act I have ever seen in sport, and that includes Juan Marichal hitting John Roseboro in the head with a bat at home plate in 1965 (yea, I'm that old).

I hope the Canucks win the Cup....now that Bertuzzi is gone.

You can't get out much. You judge a whole game on an act of stupidity by someone who wouldn't even be classified as a dirty player in most games except for that one thing. An act of retaliation for a blind side hit Moore had made on Naslund the game before. Bertuzzi and Naslund were good friends off the ice. Bertuzzi had to go because of the Moore baggage but I would much rather see him back with the Canucks than someone like Matt Cooke. Now there is one dirty hockey player.

Edited by Wilber

You can't get out much. You judge a whole game on an act of stupidity by someone who wouldn't even be classified as a dirty player in most games except for that one thing. An act of retaliation for a blind side hit Moore had made on Naslund the game before.

Yup...just as was reported in the quoted Wiki article aftermath. The whole "sport" is judged by the stupidity of sanctioned fighting and retaliation.

Bertuzzi and Naslund were good friends off the ice. Bertuzzi had to go because of the Moore baggage but I would much rather see him back with the Canucks than someone like Matt Cooke. Now there is one dirty hockey player.

So what? Bertuzzi maliciously ended another player's career. How exciting!

Yup...just as was reported in the quoted Wiki article aftermath. The whole "sport" is judged by the stupidity of sanctioned fighting and retaliation.

I agree on the fighting part, retaliation is part of every sport. In this case it got out of hand.

So what? Bertuzzi maliciously ended another player's career. How exciting!

You are not trying to tell me that no football, basketball or even baseball player's carreer has ever been ended by a malicious hit are you?

I agree on the fighting part, retaliation is part of every sport. In this case it got out of hand.

Ya think?

You are not trying to tell me that no football, basketball or even baseball player's carreer has ever been ended by a malicious hit are you?

Not by violence and retaliation sanctioned by the governing body of the sport.

Ya think?

Just got this off Wiki. I guess Bertuzzi hitting Moore once and then jumping on top of him was the crime of the century compared to this, not to mention that a couple of Moore's teammates ended up adding to the pile that was on top of him.

Earlier in the game, Marichal had knocked down Dodgers Maury Wills and Ron Fairly with brushback pitches. When Marichal came up to bat against Sandy Koufax in the third inning, Koufax wouldn't retaliate, but his catcher, Roseboro, apparently wanted to. Roseboro returned Koufax's pitches dangerously close to Marichal's face. Then, the future Hall-of-Famer hit Roseboro over the head with his bat three times, opening a two-inch gash that sent blood flowing down the catcher's face that would require 14 stitches.
Not by violence and retaliation sanctioned by the governing body of the sport.

Not sanctioned but allowed. By the way, what happened to Marichal? Believe he got a nine game suspension, a small fine and wound up in the Hall of Fame did he not? Bertuzzi was suspended for the rest of the season including the playoffs.

Edited by Wilber