What will be the Reforms next Holy Grail

Finaly the conservatives will get rid of the gun registry.

And with it their holy grail will vanish forever.

Many voters across our fantastic nation will no longer have a reason to vote conservative.No more holding their noses when they walk behind the carboard screen at the local schools.

The bloq had seperation and the reform have the registry

Hopefully this past election will have killed two birds with one stone!

WWWTT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gun Registry is more or less symbolic of completely wasting taxpayers' money. Same goes for Kyoto. They were both flawed 'solutions' that were politicized. Stats showed there were only around 12 homicides committed with registered long guns/per year. We were spending over $2 million per homicide, preventing none. As far as police go, they could never assume someone didn't have a gun. If any trusted the Registry, it put officers' lives at risk.

Guest Derek L

The Gun Registry is more or less symbolic of completely wasting taxpayers' money. Same goes for Kyoto. They were both flawed 'solutions' that were politicized. Stats showed there were only around 12 homicides committed with registered long guns/per year. We were spending over $2 million per homicide, preventing none. As far as police go, they could never assume someone didn't have a gun. If any trusted the Registry, it put officers' lives at risk.

I personally always wondered, after the Gun registry was brought in, what percentage of gun owners registred all of their firearms........The entire thing was a complete waste of money.

Also, anyone have any idea how long till the registry will be scrapped? Couple weeks after parliment sits again? I'm intrested since I saw a new Remington .308 carbine for sale at a local store......Moose seasons coming ;)

It's strange how for years we have been told that the registry is a small issue for most people, but now it's the only reason the conservatives won. Don't you ever get tired of being stupid?

Edited by yarg

I personally always wondered, after the Gun registry was brought in, what percentage of gun owners registred all of their firearms........The entire thing was a complete waste of money.

Also, anyone have any idea how long till the registry will be scrapped? Couple weeks after parliment sits again? I'm intrested since I saw a new Remington .308 carbine for sale at a local store......Moose seasons coming ;)

That's a small gun for a moose. I don't bother with hunting even though I am a rural canadian. There is too many rules and regulations and to break one means bye bye truck and bye bye gun.

Guest Derek L

That's a small gun for a moose. I don't bother with hunting even though I am a rural canadian. There is too many rules and regulations and to break one means bye bye truck and bye bye gun.

Never had a problem with the old 760 .308 (with 180grn) under a couple hundred yards.......

Nothing wrong with a .308 for moose ,now if he said 30.30. I would agree.

Finaly the conservatives will get rid of the gun registry.

And with it their holy grail will vanish forever.

Many voters across our fantastic nation will no longer have a reason to vote conservative.No more holding their noses when they walk behind the carboard screen at the local schools.

The bloq had seperation and the reform have the registry

Hopefully this past election will have killed two birds with one stone!

WWWTT

As iggy said on the way out the one thing canadians hate more then a loser is a sore loser.

Guest Derek L

Sporting man aren't we. The locals all go for the big boys and try blasting the things at a quarter to half a mile away.

Well, always felt it better than taking the chance of hitting it in the leg or something and letting it suffer for hours wondering well tracking it......The hydrostatic shock from a winchester .308 at relativly close range, I've always felt is more humane.

Just stick with fishin.

I'm not sure whats out in Alberta,trout is common so I'll say trout.

In southern On here I will go for pickeral,bass and musky.Musky is great for sport but not the best tasting

Pickeral and crappie are a good fry and bass isn't bad

Way easier coming home with a couple 1.5lb to clean and fry instead of a buck to gut!

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Just stick with fishin.

I'm not sure whats out in Alberta,trout is common so I'll say trout.

In southern On here I will go for pickeral,bass and musky.Musky is great for sport but not the best tasting

Pickeral and crappie are a good fry and bass isn't bad

Way easier coming home with a couple 1.5lb to clean and fry instead of a buck to gut!

WWWTT

Lake/river fishing in BC isn't bad, Steelhead and Trout here. It's cheap and you can do it near year round (last went trout fishing on boxing day)

Now saltwater is a complete different storey.......Salmon/Halibut is alot of fun, but make sure you have $$$$ and a good marriage ;)

It's strange how for years we have been told that the registry is a small issue for most people, but now it's the only reason the conservatives won. Don't you ever get tired of being stupid?

hmm. If scrapping the registry was all it would have taken to make the Reform/Alliance/Conservative party vanish... the Liberals are colossal idiots for not doing it years ago.

-k

Gun registry, Crime bills...and all those things Harper promised will be done in the first 100 days of sitting government, they will all be fulfilled!

According to Flaherty, there'll be some updates to the budget, perhaps minor ones....nothing big.

Harper said there'll be no hard right-wing policy....then that's what will happen. No hard right-wing policies.

It took years for the Liberals to entrench their Liberal ideology to the public....what with generations growing up in liberal ideology. It will take equal time - or perhaps longer - to reverse that way of thinking, and/or get them used to ours.

I say take it slowly, dear Prime Minister Harper....slowly but surely.

Well you can bet that the Supreme Court will be stacked full of Conservative judges as 25% of them will have reached the mandatory retirement age of 75 before Harper's term is up.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/Harper+could+shape+judiciary+generation/4735294/story.html

Good! We've seen the kind of fiascos Liberal-stacked left-leaning judges had made.

Better yet, retire them early! :lol:

Edited by betsy

Good! We've seen the kind of fiascos Liberal-stacked left-leaning judges had made.

Better yet, retire them early! :lol:

The government added a law enforcement representative — and no other interest group — to the committees that recommend judicial appointments, and he appointed committee members who were clearly ideologically simpatico. In 2007, he crossed a well-established line when he openly said he wanted judges who would take a harder line on crime. And this February, Jason Kenney, a senior minister with the ear of the prime minister, shocked an audience of lawyers and legal scholars when he slammed judges for not following the political direction of the government when they interpret legislation. “Your public criticism of judges who follow the law but not the government’s political agenda is an affront to our democracy and freedoms,” the Canadian Bar Association responded in an open letter.

So which Stephen Harper will appoint Canada’s future judiciary? The reasonable moderate or the partisan zealot?

So betsy, you agree with that sort of thing then?

So betsy, you agree with that sort of thing then?

You missed quoting this part:

But there’s also reason to be hopeful that Harper’s views have matured. Over the past five years, the prime minister has made a long list of judicial appointments and while there is evidence of the traditional sort of patronage — it definitely helps to have Conservative connections if you want to get on the bench these days — there isn’t much sign of politicization. Indeed, his two Supreme Court appointments have been widely praised. Patrick Monahan, the former dean of Osgoode Hall Law School, told me they were “outstanding” choices, and he expects more of the same.

Ed Ratushny agrees. There are no grounds for finding fault with Harper’s appointments to either the Supreme Court or lower courts, says the University of Ottawa law professor. “I think he was very responsible.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/decision-canada/Gardner+Harper+could+shape+judiciary+generation/4735294/story.html#ixzz1Lg9yvQY5

In 2007, he crossed a well-established line when he openly said he wanted judges who would take a harder line on crime.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/decision-canada/Gardner+Harper+could+shape+judiciary+generation/4735294/story.html#ixzz1Lg9yvQY5

And of course, yes, I agree with that!

Actually, I relieved that we will finally have a chance at objectivity after years of left-wing lunacy.

You really think that unbalanced right wing principles represent any form of objectivity? You really think that the Liberal Party o the 90s and early 00s was an example of left wing lunacy? Please explain.

Conservatives' stance on crime is no secret. It's been laid out on the table. It's been one of the most contested policies and one which was used to attack his policies during the campaign. It's been there in the limelight, debated in all media.

Furthermore, Harper vowed to pass the crime bill (omnibus?) within the first 100 seating days in government, should he win.

The response of Canadians is clear. MAJORITY.

Majority of Canadians approved and accepted his policy. Majority of Canadians wants the justice system to be tougher on crime.

When Harper had a minority, the oppositions were all harping that "majority" of Canadian do not like his policies, saying that all three oppositions combined, they've got more seats than Harper. :)

Well now put all oppositions together and they still come up with fewer seats than Harper....how much clear can it be? This time, this is truly what the Canadians want!

The left keeps on saying that Canadians don't agree with Harper yet they agree with Harper more then they do the other parties it seems.

The Harper Tories have gained in seats in every single election since merging. The left is just out of touch with reality. The Tories have over 50% of the vote outside Quebec. So it would seem that besides Quebec the majority of Canadians do support the Tory way of life.

I'd love to see the death penalty brought back in but now I'm just dreaming. Maybe in the next majority government we'll get it.

Majority of Canadians approved and accepted his policy. Majority of Canadians wants the justice system to be tougher on crime.

First of all, the majority of Canadians did no such thing. Out of 60% of the voters, 40% of them approved and accepted his policy. That means roughly 25% of all voting Canadians approved and accepted his policy. You are not anywhere near a majority.

And secondly, the majority--actual majority here--of scholars think that his crime bills are regressive and dangerous for society. Even Newt Gingrinch has come out and criticized the form of criminal justice that Harper wants to implement.

Edited by cybercoma