Will Harper be magnanimous in victory?

In his victory speech, Harper said that he would govern for all Canadians, taking into account the people who didn't vote Conservative. In particular, he made reference to the grande nation québécoise.

But is this true? It was a good speech but it was just a speech. As I listened to it, I thought that he was speaking as a good politician.

The fact is that Harper formed a majority without Quebec. Harper was also elected without the MSM. He went over their heads and won despite all their claims that he was autocratic, refused to answer journalist questions.

Harper will soon repeal the gun registry. He will go ahead with loan guarantees for the Lower Churchill project. He will probably approve compensation to Quebec for HST harmonization but on his terms. He will pursue a single financial regulator. He can go ahead with the F35 purchase basing manufacture wherever it happens to be cheaper or more politically expedient - whether in Quebec or not.

Harper can begin to get the federal government out of media and culture. The CBC/Radio-Canada will face further budget cuts. He will stop the subsidies to all the various leftist "community activist" groups. The CIDA subsidies at the heart of the Bev Oda "scandal" will now stop.

The $2 voter subsidy is history. If Harper wants, he could pursue his old idea of increasing the size of the House of Commons so that the West is more accurately represented in demographic terms. In any event, in the next federal election (scheduled now for October 2015), Alberta, BC and Ontario will have more MPs based on current redistribution policy.

As he said last night, Harper plans to consolidate his crime legislation and reintroduce it. He will carry on with his budget and corporate tax cuts.

And who will Harper face across the aisle in opposition? 20 year old university students who will be desperately trying to understand their job and their constituency work. A broken federal Liberal party in disarray and possibly in its death throes.

---

Harper knows that Canada's Leftist media and opposition are paper tigers. They have a loud roar but they have no claws.

Harper can afford to sound generous in a speech but in practice, this election has shown how much Harper can ignore all the people who "hate Harper". Why should he be magnanimous with them? They certainly wouldn't have been forgiving of him if the results were different.

Edited by August1991

---

Harper knows that Canada's Leftist media and opposition are paper tigers. They have a loud roar but they have no claws.

Harper can afford to sound generous in a speech but in practice, this election has shown how much Harper can ignore all the people who "hate Harper". Why should he be magnanimous with them? They certainly wouldn't have been forgiving of him if the results were different.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he'll be a good winner, but I wouldn't think he'd be silly enough to endanger his hard fought majority. Governing has a tendancy to pull one toward the center. If he wants to keep his Majority he MUST keep Ontario happy since he has all but written off Quebec. He cannot maintain hs tenuous majority whithout Ontario, that is the fact of the matter. Ontario is ripe for the plucking right now, if he were to send the F35 Contracts our way that would score him huge political points and would be in keeping with his "job creation" promise.

As I said in another thread most def subisdies and gun registry are on the outs. I don't think he'll go too crazy, I honestly don't. Many of his major policy adjustments have many roadblocks, specifically electoral reform, that is if he still wants this now that he has a majority, and senate reform.

On a side note August, I would like you insight on the BLOC situation in Quebec, by all accounts they appear to be dead in the water, that is not to be confused with the sovereingtist movement being dead. Do you think another party will rise to replace them or is a BQ revival forth coming?

I wouldn't go so far as to say he'll be a good winner, but I wouldn't think he'd be silly enough to endanger his hard fought majority.
My point is to ask who can Harper ignore in the future? Who does he owe for his majority?

Harper can ignore Terry Milewski and so many others in the MSM (whether English or French). They were opposed to Harper, called him all sorts of terrible names, and he still won. He can ignore Quebec because he won a majority without it.

We are going to hear more moaning from the media about autocratic Harper doing things against Canada. The "hate Harper" gang on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet/in real life will decry how he is the devil incarnate. They will say that he only won 40% of the vote.

And Harper will ignore all these complaints because he knows that they are irrelevant. These people make a lot of noise but the most they can do is elect anonymous 20 year old university students who give victory speeches saying, "like, I'm so happy I won".

----

On a side note August, I would like you insight on the BLOC situation in Quebec, by all accounts they appear to be dead in the water, that is not to be confused with the sovereingtist movement being dead. Do you think another party will rise to replace them or is a BQ revival forth coming?
Start another thread.

Harper was also elected without the MSM. He went over their heads and won despite all their claims that he was autocratic, refused to answer journalist questions.

I'm most amazed that he was elected "without the MSM" despite their almost unanimous endorsement.

I'm most amazed that he was elected "without the MSM" despite their almost unanimous endorsement.
A few days before the election, a few newspaper editors wrote approving editorials that nobody read. Meanwhile, most line journalists based in Toronto/Montreal don't like Harper personally and don't vote Conservative.

Bubbler, the proof is that Harper wisely consented to only a few journalist questions a day. He was tightly scripted when dealing with the media. The Conservatives often refused to send candidates to media round table discussions.

Harper and the Conservatives knew that they would never get objective treatment from most of Canada's MSM. So, they didn't bother even playing their game.

----

This election is interesting because it shows a new style of electioneering. Harper won by targetting certain voters in certain ridings and then finding ways to reach them other than through the MSM.

Harper can ignore the chattering classes because he didn't need them to win a majority. Harper's support stayed solid before and during the campaign despite all the various outrageous accusations thrown at him: contempt of parliament, liar, psychopath and so on.

IMV, Harper has no reason to be generous with his opponents and I don't think that he will be. They can make all the noise they want but it won't have any effect.

Edited by August1991

My point is to ask who can Harper ignore in the future? Who does he owe for his majority?

The Greater Toronto Area aka, the "GTA." Plain and simple. And support in the rest of the 905 Area. Seriously, Ontario just became a 'have' province again, partly in thanks to Premier McGuinty. :D

Bubbler, the proof is that Harper wisely consented to only a few journalist questions a day. He was tightly scripted when dealing with the media. The Conservatives often refused to send candidates to media round table discussions.

Harper and the Conservatives knew that they would never get objective treatment from most of Canada's MSM. So, they didn't bother even playing their game.

LOFL! So that's why. And here I was thinking it was about the questions they would be asked and never figured it was about the answers they never had.

Harper is weird. He is saying the truth in the campain and now that he won, he is lying. :rolleyes:

In the campain in Québec, his slogan was "notre région au pouvoir". Our region at the power. Which implies that Harper will govern for the benefit only of those who elected him. It didn't work out well at all. He lost half of the little he had in Québec.

Neverthenless, he got a majority because of english canada. So I expect him to please only the english Canada. The Bloc won't be there to voice Québec's interests and the NDP won't be able to meet the expections of the Québécois

You know what I think? Québec just sent the best trap ever to Ottawa. Harper doing what he wants and Layton on the frontline to respond... it is possible that it will promote sovereignty much better than the Bloc could do itself. Or I am totally wrong and Layton will meet the expections and in 4 years he becomes the next prime minister that will solve the constitution issue with Québec. I would not bet on that. B)

We are going to hear more moaning from the media about autocratic Harper doing things against Canada. The "hate Harper" gang on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet/in real life will decry how he is the devil incarnate. They will say that he only won 40% of the vote.

Layton had 43% of the vote in Quebec and got 58 of 75 seats. No NDP could complain unless they believe they should give lots of seats to the bloc.

In his victory speech, Harper said that he would govern for all Canadians, taking into account the people who didn't vote Conservative. In particular, he made reference to the grande nation québécoise.

Mike Harris made a similar speech-Famous lasr words

WWWTT

Mike Harris made a similar speech-Famous lasr words

WWWTT

Relax, everyone and lets just how it goes. The first thing going to be done is the budget that the liberals and ndp didn't even look at, wow that was fair wasn't it. People need to look on all sides instead of being in a tunnel.

The Greater Toronto Area aka, the "GTA." Plain and simple. And support in the rest of the 905 Area. Seriously, Ontario just became a 'have' province again, partly in thanks to Premier McGuinty. :D

What do you mean? Premier McGuinty took us down the same road Bob Rae did. Overspending, higher taxes and record deficits will be his legacy. He helped increase the cost of energy in Ontario. He raised taxes after promising not to. He ran a $16B deficit in ONE year and he introduced the HST.

All of this will usher back the dominance of the Big Blue Machine and likely a loooong set of PC governments in Ontario.

Harper won 167 seats. A clear, but hardly commanding majority. He will not turn into some slobbering right wing nut.

He is a;ready there.

Here is my prediction, the largest transfer of public wealth into private hands in this nations history. Just exactly how will the government "create" jobs, hire even more public servants? Or more likely pay to hire people through tax breaks for the corporate sector. Expect a Klein approach to "fiscal responsibility" meaning program and services cuts. Welcome to Steve's world, like it or not the majority of citizens have chosen to support him. Now we will get what we deserve.

Almost makes you wonder whos side McGuinty was on?

WWWTT

Speaking of Harris - I predict he will emerge from his crypt and make some pronouncement about this before returning to the eternal group.

No doubt he is happy right now.And Brian Mullrooney

WWWTT

No doubt he is happy right now.And Brian Mullrooney

WWWTT

Harris maybe. Not Mulroney, he was a Progressive Conservative. This new Conservative Party ate his old one...

You know what I think? Québec just sent the best trap ever to Ottawa.

What?! :blink:

One of the hangers-on around our fastball team, one night after having consumed far, far too much beer, proposed the strategy of exhausting the opposition by allowing them free run of as many bases as they could sprint. After a few innings, they'd be so tired out they wouldn't be able to defend themselves...

Sunshine, if 'sovereignty' is so much the centre of your existence, then you really should just get off the pot.

But is this true?

It's bullcrap. Of course it's not true. He'll do whatever right-wing reforms he get get away with without destroying the party's next election chances. If he's smart.