Harper: Republican Wannabe

Harper's speech as NCC President to the Council for National Policy, a right-wing American political organization, in Montreal in June 1997 — is often cited as a testament of his true political colours. In this speech, the text of which is available online, he enunciates his extreme political views more clearly than is common for him to do currently. Some prominent quotes form the speech include:

* "In terms of the unemployed, of which we have over a million-and-a-half, don't feel particularly bad for many of these people. They don't feel bad about it themselves, as long as they're receiving generous social assistance and unemployment insurance."

* "[W]e have a Supreme Court, like yours, which, since we put a charter of rights in our Constitution in 1982, is becoming increasingly arbitrary."

* "[The pride Canadians take in their country's status at the UN] distresses conservatives like myself quite profoundly, but I will warn you, it's a widespread view, and I will always say, one that could only be maintained as long as [Americans] basically provide us with military protection."

* He called the Reform Party a "conservative Republican" organization that espoused "a constitutional agenda that challenges the way our entire political system operates."

* He predicted that the Reform and Progressive Conservative parties would ultimately merge and "[o]ne party is going to win out.... And Reform is not going to lose that contest in the long term."

* "If you've read any of the official propagandas, you've come over the border and entered a bilingual country. In this particular city, Montreal, you may well get that impression. But this city is extremely atypical of this country... So it's basically an English-speaking country, just as English speaking as, I would guess, the northern part of the United States."

* "Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it. Canadians make no connection between the fact that they are a Northern European welfare state and the fact that we have very low economic growth, a standard of living substantially lower than yours, a massive brain drain of young professionals to your country, and double the unemployment rate of the United States."

* "[Y]our country [the USA], and particularly your conservative movement, is a light and an inspiration to people in this country and across the world."

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! More cross-posted material! Where'd you cut and past this one from, Grimsby?

-k

Same place as I cut and pasted this.

In January 1997, Stephen Harper quit his Parliamentary seat and was named Vice-President of the NCC the same day.

NCC has campaigned prominently on many libertarian, anti-worker and anti-public service issues over the years including:

# campaigns to "de-unionize" the workforce;

# opposition to fair tax reform;

# privatization and/or elimination of public sector services;

# discredit any activity carried out through the public sector such as education or health care;

# court challenges to social unionism;

# "closed shop" provisions in Canadian labour law;

# lobbying campaign to have "right-to-work" legislation implemented in Alberta;

# legal and advertising support for challenges to Canadian Wheat Board;

# court challenge to annul election of BC NDP government, advertising campaigns against targeted politicians and parties;

# media campaign attacking MP pensions;

# court challenges to electoral laws that would limit third party spending;

# media campaign attacking grants for the arts, advocacy organizations, and social science research;

# attacks on public funding for what it calls "interest groups" such as human rights or women's groups.

I find it funny that words from Mr Ignatieff keep coming back up here and in CPC attack ads, yet the booster club here has issue with Mr Harpers words being brought back. It's a timely and pertinent (and somewhat horrifying) reminder of how this man really feels.

Why would that be?

This forum has a long standing rule against cut-and-pasting web-pages or posts from other forums.

If you're capable of producing some original thought, have at it.

-k

I find it funny that words from Mr Ignatieff keep coming back up here and in CPC attack ads, yet the booster club here has issue with Mr Harpers words being brought back. It's a timely and pertinent (and somewhat horrifying) reminder of how this man really feels.

Why would that be?

And I find it funny that the guy with the itchiest "Report button" trigger-finger on the whole forum is complaining that somebody else is pointing out that the forum has rules.

-k

{"Go ahead... make my day. Say 'Count Igula' one more time, I dare ya." -Dirty Shakey Callahan}

Sounds like Harper couldn't keep his mouth shut,man he's changed.

He can't bottle it up forever and must spew like a blubering baby when he gets home.

Can you imagine what his wife has got to listen to when they go to bed at the end of each night when they are on the campaign road.She must be one strong woman I'll give her that,puting up with his rants about the coalition and the bloq trying to rip seats from him in Quebec.She must have earplugs and whenever Harper starts talking to her she just nods her head and says "that nice dear".

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

People including politicians do evolve and change, the fact that Harper made those statements doesn't mean he still believes in them, same with the Count. Even if Harper still holds those views he is not putting anything forward, he has not proposed any legislation, as he knows that much of it won't fly here and would cost him an election. He is governing from the centre, and as you know none of the scary scary stuff has materialized.

The usual scary scary Harper wants to take away abortion rights, and health care for instance are just old, they mean nothing, just as the vacuous republican wannabee tactic is.

Does that mean 70% are scared of the libs?

Does that mean 84% are scared of the ndp?

Not sure of how you came up with those numbers....lets look at it..41% not scared of cp and 70% scared of libs =111% that dont work

now lets try this....41% not scared of cp and 84% scared of ndp = 125%...nope dont work either

hmmm ok lets try this...41% not scared of cp and 59% scared of cp = 100% yep that works

So there you have it.

Sorry if this is confusing....I am using the same formula as Harper is using on purchasing F-35 Lightning II.

Edited by Grimzby

Oh sorry.....Never saw the rule that states: No derogatory posts against Stephen Harper

You can post derogotory Stephen Harper posts. Just provide a link at the very least. Especially if you're using other people's work and/or ideas. :)

Not sure of how you came up with those numbers....lets look at it..41% not scared of cp and 70% scared of libs =111% that dont work

now lets try this....41% not scared of cp and 84% scared of ndp = 125%...nope dont work either

hmmm ok lets try this...41% not scared of cp and 59% scared of cp = 100% yep that works

So there you have it.

Sorry if this is confusing....I am using the same formula as Harper is using on purchasing F-35 Lightning II.

You didn't exactly ace Statistics 101, did you?