Federal Election Polls

I've been less convinced than many that the opposition parties will do anything to get the Conservatives out of power for a couple of reasons. 1) Trudeau and Mulcair seem to truly despise one another and may not be able to work together well. 2) There's the chance of the "junior" partner in a coalition being marginalized, a la the Liberal Democrats in the UK. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if today's polling numbers are accurate, if that would make it even less likely. Assuming the Conservatives finish 7 or 8 points ahead of the second place party, it might not go over so well for the opposition to try to topple them. I'm sure many wouldn't mind, but it would probably seem a bit off to quite a few as well.

I've been less convinced than many that the opposition parties will do anything to get the Conservatives out of power for a couple of reasons. 1) Trudeau and Mulcair seem to truly despise one another and may not be able to work together well. 2) There's the chance of the "junior" partner in a coalition being marginalized, a la the Liberal Democrats in the UK. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if today's polling numbers are accurate, if that would make it even less likely. Assuming the Conservatives finish 7 or 8 points ahead of the second place party, it might not go over so well for the opposition to try to topple them. I'm sure many wouldn't mind, but it would probably seem a bit off to quite a few as well.

The LDs in the UK are a small party, VERY much the junior partner, and in some ways to the left of Labour so not natural allies of Cameron at all. Small parties usually suffer badly in coalitions especially if they are from a different part of the political spectrum.

We need to get over our neuroses about coalition in Canada. We have four left wing parties and one right wing party, so the Conservatives will be a minority of the popular vote even with a majority of seats. With a minority, they will have about a third of voters. Nothing would be more natural than a coalition of Libs and NDP politically which would represent a majority of voters across the country. If their leaders can't stomach the proposition, then new ones are required.

If the Conservatives get a majority of seats, then there will have to be a merger of the two large left wing parties in Canada. FPTP doesn't work well with more than two choices and, for reasons that truly escape me, Canadians seem to want to keep FPTP.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Yeah, I miss the percentage ranges as well, but the way I look at it, if it brings in more funds/audience, go for it. I love the work he does, and if it helps him out, I'm all for it.

Like I said, I don't blame him at all....all the power to him.

A huge percentage of the phone calls pollsters make get hung up on, so it's difficult to figure who polls actually represent.

I see, so polls are useless then. So when the polls said the NDP were way out in front, those polls were useless as well.

So you really have no idea what'll happen on election day. So quit pretending you will.

I see, so polls are useless then. So when the polls said the NDP were way out in front, those polls were useless as well.

So you really have no idea what'll happen on election day. So quit pretending you will.

Something is messed up with polling in the last decade or so. That they're wrong is one thing, but they they are usually wrong in the same fashion (under-reporting conservative support) is quite another. Are Conservatives less likely to answer polls?

This election is over.

A soon to be released Leger poll confirms the continuing disintegration of the NDP's Quebec core, and it's not Trudeau's Liberals benefiting from this crumbling NDP base - it is the Bloc and Conservatives. The Bloc's prospects are now 17 seats and Conservatives can expect 11-12 elected MPs.

Mulcair's stand on niqabs at citizenship swearing in ceremonies is almost entirely responsible for this situation, according to Leger. His principled but somewhat foolish stand has not only cost his party a legitimate shot at power, his controversial stance has handed Harper the extra seats required to form another govt. Couldn't Mulcair foresee how his policy would play out among French Canadians?

All the strategic voting that can realistically be mustered will not offset the 'bonus' MPs handed to Harper over the niqab issue.

This election is over.

Edited by Vancouver King

This election is over.

A soon to be released Leger poll confirms the continuing disintegration of the NDP's Quebec core, and it's not Trudeau's Liberals benefiting from this crumbling NDP base - it is the Bloc and Conservatives. The Bloc's prospects are now 17 seats and Conservatives can expect 11-12 elected MPs.

Mulcair's stand on niqabs at citizenship swearing in ceremonies is entirely responsible for this situation. His principled but somewhat foolish stand has not only cost his party a legitimate shot at power, his controversial stance has handed Harper the extra seats required to form another govt.

All the strategic voting that can realistically be mustered will not offset the 'bonus' MPs handed to Harper over the niqab issue.

This election is over.

You sound more confident than I am, and I'm hoping that Harper wins :P

This election is over.

Mulcair's stand on niqabs at citizenship swearing in ceremonies is entirely responsible for this situation. His principled but somewhat foolish stand has not only cost his party a legitimate shot at power, his controversial stance has handed Harper the extra seats required to form another govt.

This election is over.

You are saying the Conservatives will get a majority of seats? I think it's a little premature for that. As a clear majority of voters, non-Conservatives can still win this election, or at the very least stop a Harper majority, by coalescing behind Trudeau. Edited by SpankyMcFarland

You are saying the Conservatives will get a majority of seats? I think it's a little premature for that. As a clear majority of voters, non-Conservatives can still win this election, or at the very least stop a Harper majority, by coalescing behind Trudeau.

I think what's he's saying is that the Conservatives will get a majority of the seats, not enough to hold a majority, but "most" of the seats, relative to the other 2 major parties.

This election is over.

I just can't believe what a disgrace it is if this really is the issue that's determining who governs us and why.

Do politicians get the constituents they deserve?

I just can't believe what a disgrace it is if this really is the issue that's determining who governs us and why.

Do politicians get the constituents they deserve?

Good ole Quebec eh? They were cute when they were giving the NDP 100 plus seats because, Orange, weren't they?

Edited by Boges