Is this the REAL mission of Harper?

Topaz

I came across this on the web and decided to link it here and get thoughts on the letter Harper sent the former Premier of Alberta. It has the plans Harper has for Alberta and after reading this, I have to say Harper doesn't care about the whole country, just Alberta. When you read this and realize the things Harper has been doing, we know why now he's doing them. http://myblahg.com/?p=1576

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if you understood history and how the Liberals did precisely what the letter said, you would understand Harper's motivations at that point in time. You would also better understand his animosity toward the Liberal Party - and that of many Western Canadians. Why do you think Chretien won all 100 seats in Ontario and almost none out West....because the Liberals' policies completely alienated the West. Basically, that letter said - if you are going to pillage the West and bend over to Quebec, we are going to act like Quebec and use our Constitutional proviledge to manage more of our own responsibilities. Remember Topaz - the motto of the Reform Party was "The West Wants In!". Think about the meaning of that. Instead of the Firewall, Harper determinedly united the Alliance and Reform parties and went about resolving this unity issue - reducing the Liberals from a Central Canada powerhouse to a couple of regional rumps......but the important point is that "The West is now In!".....so the Firewall letter that you raised is just history - important to understand the times - but simply history.

Edited by Keepitsimple

I came across this on the web and decided to link it here and get thoughts on the letter Harper sent the former Premier of Alberta. It has the plans Harper has for Alberta and after reading this, I have to say Harper doesn't care about the whole country, just Alberta. When you read this and realize the things Harper has been doing, we know why now he's doing them. http://myblahg.com/?p=1576

What makes us all so sure that are high elected leaders actually visualize through a broad scope and spectrum? Harper is human and if it were not for the quirk of fate and him fitting the bill..He would just be an aging hockey player - living in a small town drinking beer and smoking pot out in the parking lot.

First Canada and then the world. Soon everyone will be Albertans.

Harper said "alienate" which means he thought the Liberals were going to turn Albertans into aliens.

:lol::lol:

The letter was a suggested strategy against an arrogant Federal party's policies towards them and that's it. I suppose Alberta was supposed to just accept their fate and roll over. The people expressed their dislike of Federal treatment in their voting pattern and the Liberals rubbed it in their faces because they were irrelvant, as long as Ontario and Quebec were on side and the Maritimes could be bought.

The people in Alberta wanted representation in Ottawa. Harper's efforts should be applauded. I'm sure he is not stuck in the past and as Prime Minister is still only representing the people of Alberta.

The Liberals ignore the West and the media ignores it, the Conservatives ignore other parts of Canada and they get roasted, this double standard is getting tired.

The Liberals may be shut out of 2 provinces next election, if the Conservatives had that stigma you'ld never hear the end of it in the media. Are the Liberals not more narrow minded and extreme than the Conservatives by not achieving a strong national representation in parlament like the Conservatives?

Topaz, I'm starting to get the feeling that you don't like Harper. Prove me wrong!

Since I don't know personally, I can only judge him by his remarks and his actions and I still don't think he makes a good PM for CANADA! He would make a better Premier for Alberta and then all you could bend over and kiss his feet.

I never understood why "the Firewall letter" caused such offense to Canadians outside Alberta, while Chretien's belligerent attitude toward Alberta didn't seem to cause offense to Canadians outside Alberta.

-k

Topaz is the Canadian equivalent of the Birthers and the Beck's in American politics. The meme that's continually pushed is that Harper isn't one of us, or he's got some super-secret agenda, or that he doesn't care about the rest of the country, or that he's somehow dismantling our democracy. This is the same type of rhetoric that leads to viciousness in our political discourse. And it's got to stop.

Um, I don't watch or listen to Glenn Beck.

I do. But disagree on 30 to 40% of what he says, namely religion, except Warmalist religion. Politically however he's often right on. (as opposed to left on)

He has very interesting guests, even racists like Al Sharpton couple of times.

Just a few comments:

The Early life of Stephen Harper:

---------------------------------------

Birthplace — Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Education:

Northlea Public School (Toronto)

John G. Althouse Middle School (Toronto)

Richview Collegiate Institute (Toronto)

University of Toronto (Toronto) (Young Liberals)

(dropped out after two months)

Harper then moves to Calgary and starts working for Imperial Oil...

I think it is pretty clear Stephen Harper is as Stephen Harper does.

I bet he cried when he dropped out. I think to Understand Stephen Harper you must understand what led him to leave University after two months and start working for Imperial Oil.

Harper spent his formative years in Toronto, not Alberta. Whatever happened in those two months was extreme in forming Stephen Harpers future.. so the story goes.

It is also funny that Mr. Harper wanted to be a foreign diplomat representing Canada abroad yet he is critical of Michael Ignatieff for being outside of Canada for so long? Jealousy?

Michael Ignatieff lived and worked as citizen in USA and represented no one.

Saipan do you more strongly identify with your formative years as your identify of who you are than your adult years?

Both, niether?

Apply this same thing to Harper having been born and raised in Toronto. Do you think he is more of a person who is Ontarian, or Albertan?

If so why?