Is this the REAL mission of Harper?

Topaz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saipan do you more strongly identify with your formative years as your identify of who you are than your adult years?

It's not about Saipan. Ignatieff was adult in USA since he supposedly was teaching.

Apply this same thing to Harper having been born and raised in Toronto. Do you think he is more of a person who is Ontarian, or Albertan?

CANADIAN

I think it's you who should first provide a source to back up your claim.

I don't see your sources for any "claim". I just guessed that if President must be born in the USA so would Prime Ministers.

But feel free to show otherwise. Can you?

Anyone can be PM, the Governor General picks them.

The criteria is generally that they shall hold the office so long as parliament has confidence in them to perform the post.

Any member of Privy Council may advice the Governor General, however the Prime Minister is seen as "first among equals". That is generally why relevance of position and cabinet tends to dominate "current affairs". However a majority of parliament can "veto" the PM, by proposing an alternative government (and usually PM as a result). That is if they elect someone to form an alternate government.

Canada is only partisan as an effect of developments in the standard of parliament. Parties tend to be able to create more stable goverments becuase they are relatively static compared to groups of independents on a short term basis.

There are contradictory rules for executive positions. There is a trend towards commons rule since around 1900. This means that the PM and cabinet are from the "current" commoners. This is not universally true however.

The PM sits at the grace of the Governor General and may be removed.

The PM is not an elected post but an appointed one.

I just guessed that if President must be born in the USA so would Prime Ministers.

I can't imagine why you'd think such a thing; prime ministers of Canada aren't analogous to presidents of the United States. But, as it was you who made the claim, it's you who should demonstrate its truth. I suspect, though, that you're now at least unsure of its verity. If that's true, then it's good; the Prime Minister of Canada doesn't have to be born in Canada. There is no stipulation in any law and no convention that requires it. One has to be a citizen to be elected to parliament, but the prime minister doesn't even have to be a Member of Parliament. The head of government merely has to be someone who can command the confidence of the House of Commons.

[c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

I don't see your sources for any "claim". I just guessed that if President must be born in the USA so would Prime Ministers.

But feel free to show otherwise. Can you?

A hostory book would aid you.

Where do you think John A was born?

I can't imagine why you'd think such a thing; prime ministers of Canada aren't analogous to presidents of the United States.

Yes, it's very difficult to imagine two North American countries, speaking English with the same accent, and people of the same origin (even same horoscope :))

Maybe Mexicans changed them :)

Like you said:

"I think it's you who should first provide a source to back up your claim."

You made the claim ,I made guess that I don't insist on. So here's the ball.

Good Lord!

We have had 4- that's FOUR- prime ministers who were not North American born, John Turner being the most recent.

Saipan, if you have so little grasp of the rudimentary civics of this country, you have more nerve than a bad tooth to comment at all about the politics and political structure of the place. You should be ashamed.

Yes, it's very difficult to imagine two North American countries, speaking English with the same accent, and people of the same origin (even same horoscope

Well, the accents aren't the same, but that's beside the point.

I didn't say anything about culture or language; I said the Prime Minister of Canada is not analogous to the President of the United States; hence, I can't understand why anyone would think the requirements of office would be similar for both. However, Canadian prime ministers have, of late, loved to present themselves as though they were the equivalent in Canada of the president in the US; so, I can sort of understand your confusion.

I made guess that I don't insist on.

You didn't make a guess, you made a statement.

Yes, I'm citizen. I'm in Canada longer than most Canadians but cannot be PM because I wasn't born here.

But, yes, you do seem to have insisted on it no further than the above. I suppose, then, that the matter's settled. You're free to become PM! Aren't you happy?

Well, the accents aren't the same, but that's beside the point.

Well, some may speak Chretienese.

I said the Prime Minister of Canada is not analogous to the President of the United States

So far three times, so why stop there :)