Ford era begins in Toronto

The TTC didn't go up, the taxes didn't go up, and it just shows when council really HAS to work they can come up with money to cover everything. Amazing isn't it.

Except they haven't actually come up with the money yet. Besides, the larger point (the one Ford fans always miss) is that this kind of thing wouldn't happen if the budget process wasn't being carried out in a rushed, ad hoc manner.

Mayor Ford is doing extremely well since he has been elected by the MAJORITY :D of people, especially as the city was left in debt.

By what measure is he doing well? I'm genuinely curious. The only reason he was able to get away with only a marginal increase in this year's budget is because of the Miller surplus and by dipping into the city's reserves.

Oh yes miller found some money didn't he.

There's a huge difference between ending up with a surplus as a result of factors beyond your control and pulling millions of theoretical dollars out of your ass at the last minute.

City still looking for $16M for TTC

City number crunchers need until another month before they can work out how to pay for doing away with the proposed 10-cent TTC fare increase, city manager Joe Pennachetti said Friday.

Pennachetti told the budget committee a breakdown of where the additional $16 million will be found won't be available until Feb. 10.

Edited by Black Dog

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford targets energy efficiency program

Toronto is poised to scrap a program that provides homeowners a $60 or $75 rebate to replace water-guzzling toilets with modern, low-flow units.

“This is penny-wise and pound-foolish,” Councillor Joe Mihevc said of the recommended elimination by March 1 of city-sponsored grants: $60 for an efficient toilet and $75 for a high-efficiency model.

Toilets are the single biggest user of water in the average home.

Also on the chopping block is a $60 rebate for the purchase of efficient front-loading clothes washers. A final decision will be made when council passes the 2011 operating budget in late February.

Mihevc said the water efficiency plan is being gutted as part of Mayor Rob Ford’s cost-cutting mission.

A staff report said that, as of last month, the program has cost a total of $37.3 million, while reducing water consumption and saving up to $180 million in future water system expansion costs.

Gotta love them fiscal conservatives saving tax dollars money!

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford hopes to bring a National Football League franchise to the city.

Ford, well-known for coaching high school football, and his brother Coun. Doug Ford said four groups have approached city hall with hopes of bringing a team north.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2011/01/21/toronto-ford-nfl-121.html

Hahahahahaha. Seems like the next 4 years are going to be about what are his favourite hobbies rather than what is best for the city.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been keeping up as much with the Ford's because I realize it's going to be along four years and, as such, I should pace myself. But this latest news is too hard to pass up:

Facing budget shortfall, city to privatize "anything that isn’t nailed down"

The city of Toronto is facing a budget shortfall in excess of $500-million next year, the National Post has learned, and Mayor Rob Ford is considering dramatic moves to end the annual structural deficit.

“[That] doesn’t mean through taxes,” said Councillor Doug Ford, vice-chairman of the budget committee. “It means being creative, thinking outside of the box. It means looking at a valuable asset, which is real estate. We should not be in the business of being a real estate broker.”

Mayor Ford has already demonstrated a propensity for contracting out the delivery of city services, starting with garbage collection. “Anything that isn’t nailed down we’re going to privatize,” Councillor Ford said Wednesday, which he explained as “anything that makes sense.”

While Toronto’s economy is on the rebound, the city continues to have a structural “problem,” according to a staff report to be presented to the budget committee Thursday morning.

“While resources have been managed responsibly, reliance on one-time revenues, such as reserves and surpluses, is not sustainable and will be significant stress on the budget in 2012,” the report states. The city will use up what’s left of its 2009 reserves, and all of its 2010 surplus to balance this year’s budget.

And this is where things get goofy.

Budget Chief Mike Del Grande said the city has for years battled a structural deficit ranging from $500- to $800-million, and it has resorted to stopgap measures.

“The structural deficit has always been masked by a raid on reserves and surpluses, and some one-time emergency funding from various levels of government. So it’s always been masked and it’s never been dealt with,” said Mr. Del Grande.

Outside consultants will take a close look at Toronto’s operations and ask what jobs should the city be doing. “Is that something we need to be doing, and are we doing it efficiently? Just because we have 10 people doing that job could eight be doing that job?” said Councillor Peter Milczyn, who is on the Mayor’s executive and a budget committee member.

The Fords consider slaying the city’s debt — which they say is $3-billion but the city says is $2.6-billion — as central to getting Toronto’s “financial house in order.”

During the campaign Mayor Ford said he would sell up to $1-billion worth of “surplus assets,” primarily land, over four years in order to help pay down debt and, in turn, reduce what the city pays in interest, which this year will be $445-million.

So, the city has structural problems that have been masked by raids on reserves and surpluses (tactics Ford himself employed this year). So how is a one-time raid on city assets a solution?

Also, is there anyone in Toronto who believes that Rob Ford is mayor in anything but name?

Edited by Black Dog

Haven't been keeping up as much with the Ford's because I realize it's going to be along four years and, as such, I should pace myself. But this latest news is too hard to pass up:

Facing budget shortfall, city to privatize "anything that isn’t nailed down"

And this is where things get goofy.

So, the city has structural problems that have been masked by raids on reserves and surpluses (tactics Ford himself employed this year). So how is a one-time raid on city assets a solution?

Also, is there anyone in Toronto who believes that Rob Ford is mayor in anything but name?

Lets not forget it was Mayor Millers 10 year reign that created all these problems to begin with. Funny how you choose to leave that out.

I don't see anything wrong with creating a competitive process in order to determine which company gets the city contracts for garbage or what have you. You must be against the city saving some money. Plus theirs no guarantee that the unions wouldn't win the bid to begin with.

Everyone seems to be leaving that out as well, the unions aren't being barred from bidding, quite the opposite they're being encouraged to bid as well and be a active in the bidding process.

Lets not forget it was Mayor Millers 10 year reign that created all these problems to begin with. Funny how you choose to leave that out.

Probably because it's not true.

I don't see anything wrong with creating a competitive process in order to determine which company gets the city contracts for garbage or what have you. You must be against the city saving some money. Plus theirs no guarantee that the unions wouldn't win the bid to begin with.

Everyone seems to be leaving that out as well, the unions aren't being barred from bidding, quite the opposite they're being encouraged to bid as well and be a active in the bidding process.

Great: nothing to do with the issue of DougRob's plan for a one-time raid on the city's assets.

In other breaking news: Doug Ford hates democracy.

Ford: mayor should have veto power

“I believe in a strong mayor system, like they have in the States. The mayor should have veto power ... so he has enough power to stop council,” Mr. Ford said. “The mayor should be the mayor. At the end of the day ... the mayor’s responsible for everything."

Ironic, given the fact that it's pretty clearly non-mayor Doug and not actual mayor Rob who is in charge.

Black Dog, you're delusional. So Mayor Ford who's been in power for a little more then 2 months and is the reason Toronto is having problems. While Mayor Miller has been in power for around 10 years and hasn't created any of these problems. If you truly believe this you need to review the facts.

Black Dog, you're delusional. So Mayor Ford who's been in power for a little more then 2 months and is the reason Toronto is having problems. While Mayor Miller has been in power for around 10 years and hasn't created any of these problems. If you truly believe this you need to review the facts.

I'm astounded at the lack of critical thinking and basic reading comprehension that could have led you to arrive at such an interpretation.

I'm astounded at the lack of critical thinking and basic reading comprehension that could have led you to arrive at such an interpretation.

I said this

you replied

So what am I missing? You are denying that Mayor Miller was responsible at all. Right there in your own words. Are you trolling?

I said this

you replied

So what am I missing? You are denying that Mayor Miller was responsible at all. Right there in your own words. Are you trolling?

Here's where reading comprehension comes in handy. I did not deny that Miller was responsible at all. I denied that Miller's 10 year reign created all these problems to begin with. In simple terms, Miller is neither completely responsible nor completely absolved from the problems Toronto faces.

Imagine electing a guy on the premise of being rich and super cheap! Did no one imagine or think that a man with Ford's personal finacial habits might just be a curse and not a blessing?

I think it would be good to give they guy more then three months to do something. Miller had 10 years to do the damage he did so you cannot expect to reverse the damage in a few weeks.

I think it would be good to give they guy more then three months to do something. Miller had 10 years to do the damage he did so you cannot expect to reverse the damage in a few weeks.

What damage?

Even Ford staffers are now saying they can't find "the gravy" and to try to fill the almost billion dollar sized hole they dug for themselves by giving away goodies such as cutting the vehicle registration tax, they're talking about slashing funding to cultural items such as the Zoo, TIFF and Caribana - festivals and attractions that bring in millions in terms of spending.

So who was it that did the damage? What exactly did Miller do? You're right, it seems that problems can't be solved in a matter of months. However, as we've seen from Ford, they can be made 10x worse in a matter of weeks.

http://www.thestar.com/news/torontocouncil/article/942289--looking-for-the-gravy?bn=1

Where's all the gravy at?

Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon believed there was a Gravy Train.

As a fiscal conservative, she arrived at city hall fired up to end the wasteful spending that voters heard so much about during the election.

But after a little more than two months in office — two months of listening during in-camera meetings, reading staff reports and looking over confidential documents — this rookie councillor sees things a little differently.

“The gravy’s not flowing through city hall like originally expected,” McMahon said.

Insiders — ranging from members of the budget and executive committees to city financial staff — say that bubbling pot of gravy still hasn’t been found. The financial renaissance Ford campaigned on is still a few years away, they say.

“Honestly, it’s going to be a challenge,” said Councillor Doug Ford, vice-chair of the budget committee and the mayor’s brother. “This administration did not put the city in the position we’re in. You can’t change the world in 100 days. We’ve already done so much and we’ll continue to do more.”

Mr. Ford goes a-beggin'.

Mayor Rob Ford, who campaigned on the city having a spending — not a revenue — problem, is asking the Ontario government for an injection of more than $150 million in the provincial budget expected in late March, the Star has learned.

In a four-page letter dated Jan. 25 sent by Ford to Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan, and obtained by the Star, the mayor asks for money for road construction and repair, public transit projects, a Fort York visitor centre and the renewal of programs to fund subsidized child care, housing and services for immigrants.

If the province is going to legislate new things for the cities to pay for then the the province should pay for them. Instead the province wants to force the cities to pay for whatever they tell the cities to pay for. This isn't right.

I don't have a problem with the province kicking in more money. My problems lie with Ford: secretly going cap in hand to the province for more money just shows his claims that the city'd financial woes are the product of reckless spending are mostly horseshit.

I don't have a problem with the province kicking in more money. My problems lie with Ford: secretly going cap in hand to the province for more money just shows his claims that the city'd financial woes are the product of reckless spending are mostly horseshit.

There is tons of waste at City Hall. Lots of cuts are coming, stay tuned. 1500 jobs are going to be cut very soon.