Cutting The Cord -- How to leave cable companies?

August1991

You don't get it. I guess you're not going to until the cable companies just stop offering service that isn't streamed online.

I've certainly scaled back my cable package recently. Interestingly the most value I get is TMN/HBO where I don't have to watch commercials.

If you like sports, however, you can't avoid commercials.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The advertising is the biggest thing that I notice. Whenever I'm at someone else's house and they have TV on, I'm actually surprised by the amount of ads and how annoying they've become after not seeing them for so long. It's not the ads themselves that are annoying, but the intrusion. It's hard to explain unless you've experienced it.

I can relate to this and I will add that they are annoying only because they are terrible and repeated over and over and over and over. It is also the point of an advertisement to be intrusive by nature.

I've certainly scaled back my cable package recently. Interestingly the most value I get is TMN/HBO where I don't have to watch commercials.

If you like sports, however, you can't avoid commercials.

Sports are riddled with ads everywhere. Even if they didn't have commercials airing during the events, ads are all over the playing surfaces and complexes.

I can relate to this and I will add that they are annoying only because they are terrible and repeated over and over and over and over. It is also the point of an advertisement to be intrusive by nature.

That's just it. When you watch TV all the time, you get accustomed to it. Stop watching TV for awhile and you begin to realize what a nuisance they are.

I have had a streaming box for about 6 months now. We have cancelled cable and I went two months without seeing a commercial.

Watch what I want when I want and do not pay for anything cept unlimited internet. Best $200 bucks I have ever spent.

The ruling is BS. People need to just stop paying for cable if they don't like the prices or what's offered. The CRTC forcing the cable companies to offer a cheaper basic package, amongst the other rules, will end up with us paying far more for internet service. Mark my words. They will be subsidizing their reduced cable revenues by raking internet customers over the coals.

Edited by cybercoma

The ruling is BS. People need to just stop paying for cable if they don't like the prices or what's offered. The CRTC forcing the cable companies to offer a cheaper basic package, amongst the other rules, will end up with us paying far more for internet service. Mark my words. They will be subsidizing their reduced cable revenues by raking internet customers over the coals.

Good thing you don't have to use one of the big cable companies for internet!

Yep. It is why the telcoms and cable companies all invested big in providing Internet access. The cost of cable goes down, the price of bandwidth goes up. They saw this coming long ago.

The big losers are the specialty channels that are part of bloated digital cable packages. Not many will pay for them directly and they'll fold, taking jobs with them. Oh well..

I've downgraded my cable recently. I've noticed they all have gone to a package model instead of an all around cable package. Stuff I get what I want minus some basic cable which interestingly include the aboriginal channel, who here has EVER watched that channel.

$25 for a slimed down package is dumb. It's just OTA stuff mostly. If you're interested in sports, you kind of have to get ALL the sports channels. I could probably survive cutting the cord if it wasn't for sports and HBO/TMN. I also really like Comedy.

This is pretty great news: CRTC rules cable companies must offer pick-and-pay channels, $25 basic package

The ability to select what channels I want would go a long way to getting me to sign up for cable again.

That ability has been there for at least a decade. Cable companies did not want to offer that because it would not make them money via packages. The real problem is the amount of specialty channels which end up looking the same after some time. Even on basic cable I can get Simpsons on about two of the channels.

Ditch cable TV altogether.

$25 for a slimed down package is dumb. It's just OTA stuff mostly. If you're interested in sports, you kind of have to get ALL the sports channels. I could probably survive cutting the cord if it wasn't for sports and HBO/TMN. I also really like Comedy.

HBO is going to offer streaming only subscriptions. I used to think I wanted that option but now I find I prefer watching entire seasons on my schedule. If the HBO service allows me to watch back episodes and seasons I might subscribe part way through GOT, otherwise I may just wait for the season to finish and then watch them all. Winter is coming!

Netflix and YouTube are way better for comedy as well.

This is pretty great news: CRTC rules cable companies must offer pick-and-pay channels, $25 basic package

The ability to select what channels I want would go a long way to getting me to sign up for cable again.

A la carte channel options will either have to be expensive or most specialty channels will simply die off. Right now most survive by being packaged with other more desirable channels.

HBO is going to offer streaming only subscriptions. I used to think I wanted that option but now I find I prefer watching entire seasons on my schedule. If the HBO service allows me to watch back episodes and seasons I might subscribe part way through GOT, otherwise I may just wait for the season to finish and then watch them all. Winter is coming!

Netflix and YouTube are way better for comedy as well.

I guess you spoof your IP so that doesn't matter for you. But the HBO/TMN service probably won't be like that. It's app doesn't even work with a Chromecast.

You also have to spoof your IP to get the Daily Show in Canada unless you want to go through the Comedy Network's site.

I use Youtube through my Xbox One now, it's cool but it doesn't replace other stuff I subscribe to.

Get a streaming box.

No commercials and no cable company. Watch what you want when you want itPi

Do you just have a box that runs XBMC with the GoTV (is it Genesis now?) and movie apps installed? I built an XBMC box a while ago with a RasPi, is that what you use?

Edited by Mighty AC

• 3 weeks later...

Even more people cut the cord last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord-cutting-increased-last-year-and-will-keep-growing-report-says-1.3030923

More Canadians cut the cord and cancelled their cable or satellite television package last year, a trend that shows no sign of slowing down, a new report says.

• 3 years later...

I am sick and tired of being gouged by the cable companies, specifically, Robbers because they keep jacking up the price for the exact same package.  So of you who have cut off your cable, how did you do it and continue to watch the shows you want.  Like how do you access the networks via streaming?

Use Netflix, Amazon Prime and CraveTV.   Still have to pay but it will be cheaper than a cable subscription and there's a lot of variety, although not everything you get on cable.  If you have a smart TV, you can use apps for some content.   Google TVAddons for more info on cord-cutting.

• Like 1

All media is getting worse. I'm concerned even about the internet services given you can't tell anything until you promise to pay in some trial before cancelling. 

Cable television here is going 'retro' for whatever reason. Also, we here particularly in Canada should not have cultural protections that force garbage upon us and pay a select set of Canadian actors and writers to operate without concern to compete. For those like Trudeau who vouch for forced cultural content, you likely don't watch television regardless and so your impositions are arrogant and destructive.

Cable companies appear to be trying to appeal by adding "on demand" material for free. Most are older shows but they can use the quota of Canadian content that doesn't necessarily force you to watch it. But they are also trying other techniques, like speeding up some program rates a tad to push in more commercials. They've also added commercials now directly while watching and it is annoying....especially when there is significant material being blocked while they do it. 

By the way, does anybody think that art is arbitrary? That is, given the belief by some, what we are presented by force, some think we would embrace whatever is fed as though all art is equal in quality. ??