Burn a Qu'ran Day.

It does not follow from the universe being very large and humanity occupying a very (very) small place in it that religion is " bad " . If you are too lazy to suss out a more complete argument, do not expect me to do it for you so that we can debate it.

Your mistake is thinking I want to DEBATE you on the subject: Is Islam "good"?

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because christianity tends to be quite centralised.

Yes, this is how centralized Christianity is. :rolleyes:

Catholic

Orthodox/Eastern Christian

Pentecostal

Presbyterian

Anglican

Baptist

Methodist

Lutheran

The bible contains some pretty horrible stuff against women, too.

Which stuff are you referring to?

Anyways, words don't hurt people, stones thrown at women do.

My 'camp', if you will, is the one standing up not necessarily for building the mosque but rather for the right to build the mosque (yeah, I know I know, so do you), and the right for the local congregation to build it without harassment.

By harassment do you mean protest? People's right to protest is just as constitutional as any right to build a mosque. And there is no right to build something without protest. Or did I miss a new amendment to the US constitution. :rolleyes:

Now as for Saudi and Iranian funding, prove it.

Actually, it was the people representing the mosque that stated they wouldn't say no to Saudi and Iranian funding. And it's perfectly legal to ask who and what their funding sources are. You're not against the rule of law are you?

Unlike Rupert Murdoch,whose other shareholder in Newscorp is a member of the Saudi Royal family...

The stupidity in this forum is endless. You think Newscorp has two shareholders? Rupert Murdoch and some other guy? Seriously? :blink:

FYI, Newscorp has thousands of shareholders. :rolleyes: You could buy shares today if you wanted. Anyone could.

By harassment do you mean protest? People's right to protest is just as constitutional as any right to build a mosque. And there is no right to build something without protest. Or did I miss a new amendment to the US constitution. :rolleyes:

Actually, it was the people representing the mosque that stated they wouldn't say no to Saudi and Iranian funding. And it's perfectly legal to ask who and what their funding sources are. You're not against the rule of law are you?

They've accepted Saudi funding for past projects like "Muslim Leaders of Tomorrow"...why not now?

They've accepted Saudi funding for past projects like "Muslim Leaders of Tomorrow"...why not now?

Yeah I cant think of any reason why they wouldnt accept Saud money. Saudi Arabia is a close US ally... they have been splashign money all over the US for decades, and have sponsored a lot of mosques and islamic centers.

Theyd be stupid to turn down that money.

Iran on the other hand is the target of various sanctions and trade restrictions so they should probably hire a lawyer before they accept any Iranian money just to be on the safe side.

Yeah I cant think of any reason why they wouldnt accept Saud money. Saudi Arabia is a close US ally... they have been splashign money all over the US for decades, and have sponsored a lot of mosques and islamic centers.

Theyd be stupid to turn down that money.

Iran on the other hand is the target of various sanctions and trade restrictions so they should probably hire a lawyer before they accept any Iranian money just to be on the safe side.

Since you missed it last time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabi

Yes, this is how centralized Christianity is. :rolleyes:

Catholic

Orthodox/Eastern Christian

Pentecostal

Presbyterian

Anglican

Baptist

Methodist

Lutheran

Which stuff are you referring to?

Anyways, words don't hurt people, stones thrown at women do.

You're missing the point. Beyond Shia and Sunni, there are no such thing as different sects. As for the stones hurting women and not words; we have just as bad as history as they do now. Difference? Economic development.

Gee, if Fox News and mosques are practically the same thing, why do you bigots hate Fox News so much?

-k

You're missing the point. One of the arguments in the mosque dispute is that right wingers (quite a few on Fox News) are claiming that they get funding from radical muslim countries, which is hilarious when considering Fox News gets money from Saudi Arabia, the country which provided the vast majority of terrorists for the 9/11 attack.

Yeah I know what the Wahhabi sect is about. The Saudis have funded Wahhabist schools all over the US though so I dont see any reason why funding would be a problem. Its completely legal.

Indeed. Most city halls just can not resist the injection of Saudi construction money. My city included.

Mayor Quimby: They want to what to the homosexuals? No worries...they paid cash.

Indeed. Most city halls just can not resist the injection of Saudi construction money. My city included.

Nor should they...

If people have a problem with Saudi money in the US they should lobby for Saudi Arabia to be put on the list of state terror sponsors. If they werent an important strategic ally then they would be on that list already.

You're missing the point. Beyond Shia and Sunni, there are no such thing as different sects. As for the stones hurting women and not words; we have just as bad as history as they do now. Difference? Economic development.

There is a 3rd faction that is the Sufi. And by that I am guessing there are other sects of Islam we have not yet encountered because of the small number or locality it is in.

Guest American Woman

Bingo. People automatically assume that all Muslims are similar because christianity tends to be quite centralised. Every mosque is really quite different, there is no head of the religion. The are very different interpretations of what the Qu'ran means. The bible contains some pretty horrible stuff against women, too. Yet, when was the last time there was a complaint about where a church could go?

When was the last time a church enacted "some pretty horrible stuff" against women?

When was the last time a church enacted "some pretty horrible stuff" against women?

All the time. Chistianity institutionalizes and perpetuates the idea of women as hunble servants. Women are relegated in the Christian church to things like child care, charity work, and home-making, and the men assume all the positions of power, decision making and influence.

Nor should they...

If people have a problem with Saudi money in the US they should lobby for Saudi Arabia to be put on the list of state terror sponsors. If they werent an important strategic ally then they would be on that list already.

I live in Canada.

All the time. Chistianity institutionalizes and perpetuates the idea of women as hunble servants.

Not true.

Women are relegated in the Christian church to things like child care, charity work, and home-making, and the men assume all the positions of power, decision making and influence.

Not true.

If you're gonna make ridiculous claims like that, please back them up. :)

All the time. Chistianity institutionalizes and perpetuates the idea of women as hunble servants. Women are relegated in the Christian church to things like child care, charity work, and home-making, and the men assume all the positions of power, decision making and influence.

Ja!...let's go down to the vvitch burnings!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt

Oddly enough, my wife can own a black cat, dress sexy and not get burnt at the stake. Explain...mr. relativist.

Meanwhile...

Not true.

Not true.

All you need to do is learn about the power structures in Christian churches.

You have Popes, Bishops, Cardinals, Diocesan bishops, ordinaries, metropolitans all the way down to priests, deacons, and pastors.

Women are forbidden from ALL of these positions.

The severe gender oppression in Christianity is rooted in GENESIS 3:16 Where god tells Eve that her husband will "rule over her".

Christian holy books are literally jam packed with sexism...

I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man...For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, foreasmuch as he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
Let your women keep silence in churches: for it is not permitted unto them; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also sayeth the law.

It would depend on the Church, wouldn't it? Certainly Anglicanism, or at least some large portion of it, has no problem with women priests, but it isn't universal. However, different churches have differing rules, some, like some of the Baptist sects in the US, have some pretty anachronistic views on women.

And let me know when you can have a female priest in Roman Catholicism.