Ontario Auto insurance

Again, we in Ontario have to deal with the auto insurance companies taking more and we, getting less. Why can't they just rate drivers on their driving history rather than ALL of us paying for some that cost the insurance companies? Why? Probably, as a whole, there are more good drivers than bad and raising rates for the few won't make them richer than they are. Sept 1st is "D" Day for the change. Thoughts? http://www.windsorstar.com/business/fp/money/Insurance+fraud+rears+ugly+head/3342763/story.html

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The insurance industry is nothing more than a money taking cabal of scum!!!

The only scum are smear-merchants like you. I find it funny that some of you direct your attacks toward insurance companies, and not toward those of us perpetuating $1.3 billion dollars in fraud each year. Which represents the entire reason this particular issue is being addressed.

I also think it's funny that the fact that insurance premiums won't be going up, and will even be going down. I guess you people chose to ignore that fact. I guess it doesn't fit you're populist narrative. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have my car insurance with Allstate. They told me my coverage is staying the same, as are my premiums. But don't let facts get in the way of your hyperbole.

The only scum are smear-merchants like you. I find it funny that some of you direct your attacks toward insurance companies, and not toward those of us perpetuating $1.3 billion dollars in fraud each year. Which represents the entire reason this particular issue is being addressed.

I also think it's funny that the fact that insurance premiums won't be going up, and will even be going down. I guess you people chose to ignore that fact. I guess it doesn't fit you're populist narrative. :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt premiums will go down. If there is that much fraud in the system, people who are not defrauding the system will eventually pay more to cover for the losses the insurance company incurs. The only way your premiums go down is if you have an older car, or you downgrade, or forgo some coverage.

Anyways, I have my car insurance with Allstate. They told me my coverage is staying the same, as are my premiums. But don't let facts get in the way of your hyperbole.

I've been dealing with a specific broker for a few years now, and got me a decent package. 97 Impreza, full coverage is costing me about 750/year.

Insurance is like a union; a great idea that is, for the most part, really screwed up right now.

Insurance is an institution that plays on the fear that something bad will happen -If you are spiritually and mentally in tune you are safe from all calamities --- in eccense insurance companies cut a deal with law makers and shake you down like gangsters forcing you to pay tribute. It should not be illegal to function without insurance...Think of all the money they make and how they like to justify it by the amount of claims they pay out - The claims in comparison to the profits these corporations generate are about 1 tenth of 1 percent... In Cuba- there is no auto insurance _ if someone bangs your car up there is an honour system - Manuel will call his cousin the auto-body guy and he will fix it.

I remember paying big bucks for fancey car payments - eventually I could pay the car payments but not the insurance - The so-called authorities were hounding me on the phone as if I had committed a serve body destroying - property stealing crimminal act..when in fact all I was doing was driving around on a sunny day - In effect they said I could not enjoy myself and be moblie--Unless I payed tribute to some big cheeze sitting in some office tower...I don't even know the guy..why was he making my life miserable.........."RULES RULES RULES - TO MANY RULES - I JUST WANNA LIVE".

The thing that makes it harder to measure how good an insurance package is, I think, is that you never really know what the company is like until you have to make a claim.

When I was high rolling - I would walk into the office and buy insurance for everything - in blocks of one year at a time - then I did not have to concern myself with hectic monthly payments...it was all fine and dandy for a while ----------------then....I borrowed my mums Cadilliac and T boned a speeding cab - The cab driver did not show up in court because he as an illegal I suppose..My brother took over the payments for my mums policy and they stiffed HIM with higher premiums...what I don't get is that with no fault - IF someone smacks you - and it is NOT your fault ..

- why do you have to pay - What is the point of having insurance? Like you said - when we went in to old Jack's the local guy---who knew the family - He was more than happy to stick it to use with a few extra hundred in premiums - I really thought that he was a friend of the family - what was I thinking...I used to think that my mum's old lawyer was a friend also - UNTIL HE ASSISTED ANOTHER LAWYER IN STIFFING MY WIFE FOR HER INHERITANCE...

Of course, there are certain difference because were a person live and drives. Big cities, how many tickets you've had/have, how many accidents you have/had and apparently, what you credit rating is, which I saw on TV, but I didn't know about. They want to know if you are a good risk at paying your insurance. I still believe that a person should be judged on their driving record and not mixed in with all the other drivers in the province.

There should be a non profit public option for EVERYTHING that the government creates a legal requirement for. Otherwise price gouging is guaranteed.

That's it...

It must be great to belong to an industry that provides a product everyone who drives is legally obligated to have.Then,have a department that tries to find ways to get out of the financial obligations that the customer has paid for...

Ever notice that whenever the stock market tanks the insurance cabal raises it's premiums???

That's it...

It must be great to belong to an industry that provides a product everyone who drives is legally obligated to have.Then,have a department that tries to find ways to get out of the financial obligations that the customer has paid for...

Ever notice that whenever the stock market tanks the insurance cabal raises it's premiums???

I know... I wish the government would make a law saying people had to buy MY products :blink:

I know... I wish the government would make a law saying people had to buy MY products :blink:

I'll await the usual suspects who will tell us all that private insurance allows for choice in the marketplace...

These are the same people who use the excuse that premiums go up because of all the fraudulent claims...

It would'nt be that auto insurance is the money taking cabal of scum's legislated cash cow?

I'll await the usual suspects who will tell us all that private insurance allows for choice in the marketplace...

These are the same people who use the excuse that premiums go up because of all the fraudulent claims...

It would'nt be that auto insurance is the money taking cabal of scum's legislated cash cow?

I dont mind having private insurance, there just needs to be a non profit options as well.

But really the whole thing drives me nuts because Im a better driver than pretty much everyone else. 20 years accident free now, and Iv already spent enough on insurance to buy a luxury automobile.

Its hard to soar like an eagle when youre surrounded by fuckin turkeys :D

I dont mind having private insurance, there just needs to be a non profit options as well.

But really the whole thing drives me nuts because Im a better driver than pretty much everyone else. 20 years accident free now, and Iv already spent enough on insurance to buy a luxury automobile.

Its hard to soar like an eagle when youre surrounded by fuckin turkeys :D

That's another thing about the cabal of money grubbing scum aka.The insurance industry...

Let's say you've driven for 20 years without a single,solitary speeding ticket...Nothing...

Do you ever get that money back from these leaches?

How 'bout even a rebate of some sort?

Where did that money go?

Why not remove the requirement for drivers who haven't been in an accident for 3-10 years depending on severity? That would give a much greater incentive for driving safely than there seems to be currently. Oh, and maybe put limits on liability by vehicle, so that the driver of a $100k luxury vehicle might only be due the amount it would cost to fix the same damage on a $20,000 car. Any changes that might negatively impact the insurance industry seem unlikely under the Liberals or Conservatives, but is there anything stopping a non-profit insurance company from being formed in Ontario today?

Edited by P. McGee

Oh, and maybe put limits on liability by vehicle, so that the driver of a $100k luxury vehicle might only be due the amount it would cost to fix the same damage on a $20,000 car.

Why would anyone want a policy like that? If you own a 100K car, you are not going to want an insurance policy that doesn't cover it.

Or are you simply trying to penalize the affluent?

Or are you simply trying to penalize the affluent?

Seems that way. Anyway, he's talking about collision which is always optional. (I paid $2000 for my vehicle, so obviously I don't get collision.)

It's liability insurance which is mandatory.

If you provide a public option, then you will have set-up costs, and ongoing costs to run the service. I would opt to hand it over to a company like CAA, which is a non-profit that offers insurance of some kind (I think) and is reasonably well-run.

I would opt to hand it over to a company like CAA, which is a non-profit that offers insurance of some kind (I think) and is reasonably well-run.

Went on line at https://www.caasco.com/insurance/auto-vehicle-insurance/ to get a quote.

About $600 more than we pay now for the same coverage.

Went on line at https://www.caasco.com/insurance/auto-vehicle-insurance/ to get a quote.

About $600 more than we pay now for the same coverage.

Oops. Actually, I should have known that as I got my quote from them before I went with TD and ... yeah ... it was triple the rate I got. Not sure who the suckers are that rent from CAA.

My last line of defense on my point is that I did say somebody 'like' CAA. Maybe the Humane Society.

SO.......what do you want to know ?

Private insurance allows for choice in the marketplace , hmm, wasnt so hard. Pssssst... it is true.

What do you know about claims , fraudulent or otherwise ?

(I have been reading along since April of last year.....almost every day but have been busy putting together a national insurance programme so no time to post...oh I wanted too since some people are still stuck on stupid)