Tories

It's really bad that the Tories high jack the committee meetings but, now, Dimitri Soudas from the PMO and Gillian Andrews from the Natural Resources are dodging the committee bailiff for the last few days to avoid getting a summons to appear before the committee. All this has to do with the political inference in access-to-information requests. I've watched these committee meeting several time and this is the worse that the Tories have acted, so there must be something there they are hiding as always. I think the staffers should appear whenever they are ask to appear before the committees. They know more about what happen than the Minister and we all know how the Tory minister would spin the true. They can take responsible AFTER we get the truth from the staffers. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100603/national/tories_aides_showdown_1

First of all, Baird, Goodyear and Brown weren't invited to speak by the committee. They were there just to cause trouble for the opposition parties because they know there are more of them than of the Tories in this committee. So as usually when THEY can't control a situation, they cause an uproar! Since, they are stopping their staff from coming before the committee, a Lib asked the committee to let them sit as witness and be asked question and so everyone agreed. Of course, these smartass, couldn't answer a question without WW2 starting. The video is on Cpac.ca, and if you watch ALL of it you will see the committee and the chair did their very best not to turn it into a circus as the Tories would want. Again, down the road Harper will come out and say, the committees aren't working, the coalition is starting again, let have an election!

they showed up at the hearing with only one purpose and that was to disrupt the proceedings and claim the opposition doesn't want to work with them....

first they say you can't question staffers that's unfair they're not responsible, even though staffer's get fired if there's a screw up(so I guess they are responsible when it comes to saving the boss's arse)...but when the committees want to question the MP's and PM they refuse to show up...what the conservatives are trying to say is they're above questioning and answer to no one...

Anyone else recall being told there is no way a Minister could ever be expected to keep track of every single thing his underlings were doing or saying or knew?

I could have sworn it was a Conservative who told me that during another crisis involving access to information they were loath to release. Now here they are putting the lie to that.

Where's Michael?

Hey Michael what say you? Oh yeah...

So we can just make it clear that we, as owners of the corporation that is Canada, deserve at least the level of performance reports that shareholders would need. Including costs, performance stats... the same thing you'd expect in a glossy mutual fund pamphlet, or maybe more.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=16482&view=findpost&p=545871

I think maybe more, much much much more...did I forget to say how much more I mean? I mean MUCH more.

Earlier today I was wondering where I had seen this behaviour before??

Where had I seen ideological bufffons disrupt public hearings with haranguing shouting sessions?

Then it dawned on me...

The Town Hall meetings last year in the US during the health care debates!!!

It was the same tactic,,used by the same type of political stripe,to stall and deflect from what is really going on.

I find this whole topic fascinating. This one single thing is exposing the flaws within our system that I have never dreamed being seen and understood by the public at large.

I'm wondering what flaws it's exposing.

I'm wondering what flaws it's exposing.

Really...

Last night I watched Tom Flanagan say that if the Canservatives had amajority,and the heat from the oppositon got to be too much,they would just dissolve the committee...

Are we to assume that some would prefer less scrutiny of our government when it's doing potentially shady(oh crap... :blink::lol: ) things?

What I'm saying is that the fact that the system is adapting to the current situation really doesn't show flaws. Changes will happen to correct anything that doesn't work. Our system will allow us to fix any problems that exist. So maybe flaws are being exposed, but they won't continue as flaws really.

Edited by Smallc

What I'm saying is that the fact that the system is adapting to the current situation really doesn't show flaws. Changes will happen to correct anything that doesn't work. Our system will allow us to fix any problems that exist. So maybe flaws are being exposed, but the won't continue as flaws really.

That's true...

Our system of government is'nt really designed to be in an almost permanent minority situation.It's designed for majority governments.If this is the new normal,something may have to be done to make sure the rules work for either situation...

There's nothing wrong with the committee system except the TORIES! The nothing wrong the Parliament except the Tories! By all this I means its the Tories who start all this mess in the first place. I will say some of the Tories on committees don't act like what we have seen this past week. If EVERYONE would show respect to the Chair then all of these could be avoided. These people don't deserve their salaries or pensions!

Anyone have a link to the CPAC committee footage? I tried to find it but could not. As an aside, Baird and Hill were in 'fine' form in QP yesterday...

a good place to start is at the 22:30 mark - Nathan Cullen (NDP), quite succinctly and properly, makes the case... sets the scene for what then plays out with Baird's antics:

cpac video - June 2, 2010 - In Committee From The House Of Commons ... Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates

Edited by waldo

a good place to start is at the 22:30 mark - Nathan Cullen (NDP), quite succinctly and properly, makes the case... sets the scene for what then plays out with Baird's antics:

cpac video - June 2, 2010 - In Committee From The House Of Commons ... Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates

Thanks very much Waldo.