No Extradition for Marc Emery

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patriotism aside, why was he not charged under Canadian law for what he did? He must have sold his "products" in Canada as well.

Good question, but it is not really germane.

He did break US laws, and he did so in full knowledge that he was breaking them.

Of course, in the meantime, he also made millions of dollars selling seeds to Americans via the mail. His worst crime of all though was to involve his staff, who were also charged and who would also have gone to jail for a long time until Emery was pressured into a plea bargain that spared him a really long sentence and spared his staff entirely.

I was kind of sympathetic to the guy intil I elarned about his actual motivation, which was ot being a pot crusader or hero to the working man. It's about the money, as usual. He'll be pout in a couple of years, and he'll still be rich.

He did break US laws, and he did so in full knowledge that he was breaking them.

Of course, in the meantime, he also made millions of dollars selling seeds to Americans via the mail. His worst crime of all though was to involve his staff, who were also charged and who would also have gone to jail for a long time until Emery was pressured into a plea bargain that spared him a really long sentence and spared his staff entirely.

I was kind of sympathetic to the guy intil I elarned about his actual motivation, which was ot being a pot crusader or hero to the working man. It's about the money, as usual. He'll be pout in a couple of years, and he'll still be rich.

but do we extradite a man crime where the punishment we consider out of line with our standards? what if some country wanted to extradite a Canadian for petty theft and the punishment is amputation of the hand or life in prison, do we send him?

Edited by wyly

It's not lazy to ask for sources, especially regarding something that isn't common knowledge. However, posting without sourcing definitely is pretty lazy.

in the time it took you type sources you could have verified the post...but you've already done that and know it's true but by not admitting it you can pretend to be the smart one, it's not working....

Guest American Woman

It's not lazy to ask for sources, especially regarding something that isn't common knowledge. However, posting without sourcing definitely is pretty lazy.

It's also against the Rules and Guidelines:

If you are stating a fact, be prepared to back it up with some official sources (websites, links etc).

I'm guessing his sources are always controversial at best, which is why he repeatedly responds to requests for a source with nothing but insults.

Edited by American Woman

in the time it took you type sources you could have verified the post

That's not the point. That could be said of any post and any argument or fact anyone ever posts in this forum. The whole point about referencing is to foster a smoother discussion, where people don't have to google every post for more information or fact checking.

And the more we ease referencing and sourcing on posts, the more posts we'll end up getting without the appropriate information attached to them.

And the amount of time you spent on the last couple of posts denouncing the MLW rules, and our suggestions of sources, you could have posted a link to whatever information you had previously researched on the topic in question.

It's also against the Rules and Guidelines:

If you are stating a fact, be prepared to back it up with some official sources (websites, links etc).

I'm guessing his sources are always controversial at best, which is why he repeatedly responds to requests for a source with nothing but insults.

Well said!

That's what I understand as well, he wanted to do it. He wanted to get caught. But if he wanted only to get rich, then he wouldn't have wanted to get caught, so I think your conclusion about his motives is incorrect.

But regardless of the motive, he broke the laws in Canada and apparently did so for quite a few years, he claims he declared it on his taxes and payed large sums of money to the Canadian government. Yet no one from Revenue Canada or the RCMP made a move to arrest him.

I read his blog, in it he claims that Health Canada referred medical marijuana patients to his site for a source of seeds. There is no way to independantly verify this. But if that's inconceivable, still the previous point remains unanswered, why he was not arrested under Canadian law and instead is being handed over to the United States?

I think it's because, no court in Canada would convict him, or if they did then he would get a fairly light sentence and be out of jail in a short time, to do it again. If you agree with this theory, then it implies that Canadian authorities are using US courts and laws to circumvent the problem of getting a conviction. It's more than likely that he will face a much longer prison term in the US than he would ever get for the same crime here in Canada.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Whether or not a drug offense is judged as serious depends on the type of drug involved, its quantity and the nature of the offense. If the quantity is "very significant," imprisonment will be imposed for a period of 3 to 15 years. In "particularly aggravating circumstances," an offender can be imprisoned for up to 21 years.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/rwinslow/europe/norway.html

I read somewhere else that for certain international crimes when sentenced in an international court, someone can get 30 years.

That's what I understand as well, he wanted to do it. He wanted to get caught. But if he wanted only to get rich, then he wouldn't have wanted to get caught, so I think your conclusion about his motives is incorrect.

But regardless of the motive, he broke the laws in Canada and apparently did so for quite a few years, he claims he declared it on his taxes and payed large sums of money to the Canadian government. Yet no one from Revenue Canada or the RCMP made a move to arrest him.

I read his blog, in it he claims that Health Canada referred medical marijuana patients to his site for a source of seeds. There is no way to independantly verify this. But if that's inconceivable, still the previous point remains unanswered, why he was not arrested under Canadian law and instead is being handed over to the United States?

I think it's because, no court in Canada would convict him, or if they did then he would get a fairly light sentence and be out of jail in a short time, to do it again. If you agree with this theory, then it implies that Canadian authorities are using US courts and laws to circumvent the problem of getting a conviction. It's more than likely that he will face a much longer prison term in the US than he would ever get for the same crime here in Canada.

The government did reccommend him as a source of seeds. I know several liscenced users who have verified this. I'm sure an email could be dug up somewhere but I'm not about to start digging. Its a known fact, Health Canada has never denied this.

Edited by DrGreenthumb

Guest American Woman

I doubt that he wanted to get caught by U.S. officials, unless he was counting on Canada protecting him. If you have information that shows otherwise, I'd appreciate it.

The government did reccommend him as a source of seeds. I know several liscenced users who have verified this. I'm sure an email could be dug up somewhere but I'm not about to start digging. Its a known fact, Health Canada has never denied this.

I think you should did it up....I have never heard anyone ask Health canada this...so I have to agree, I have never heard them deny it either. Mind you, I have never heard them deny that hot chocolate baths are bad for you either...

Guest TrueMetis

Not according to US postal law.

Same goes for telemarketers who use boilerrooms in canada to defraud americans...

If Emery ever goes to America then they can arrest him, but extraditing him is crap. As are America`s drug laws.

Yep.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Marc+Emery+sentence+reeks+injustice+mocks+sovereignty/2041190/story.html

From 1998 until his arrest, Emery even paid provincial and federal taxes as a "marijuana seed vendor" totalling nearly $600,000.

Interesting article, TrueMetis. That answers a lot of my questions. American Woman, you should read it. Although it doesn't claim that Emery wanted to be arrested, I think it shows that he wasn't hiding anything and his motives were largely political, to reform the drug laws.

Also read somewhere that Emery was active in setting up programs to help drug addicted street youth, such as "Insight", providing a safe haven for heroin addicts, needle exchange, open doors toward rehab, which the CPC government closed down.

Al Capone gave away turkeys and paid the medical bills of someone caught in a shootout.

I don't get the comparison of emery to Al Capone. Didn;t Al Capone run an organized gang of violent killers? Please explain this statement.

The real violent ones today are the motorcycle gangs and the organized criminals, who are enabled by drug prohibition. They are the equivalent of Al Capone, and they aint giving away no turkeys. I think people like Marc Emery want to see that sort of violence go away.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

I don't get the comparison of emery to Al Capone. Didn;t Al Capone run an organized gang of violent killers? Please explain this statement.

The real violent ones today are the motorcycle gangs and the organized criminals, who are enabled by drug prohibition. They are the equivalent of Al Capone, and they aint giving away no turkeys. I think people like Marc Emery want to see that sort of violence go away.

Sorry, I was being facetious and sarcastic. Most people who want Emery sent up the river would probably have little compunction about linking him to the violence that's usually associated with recreational substances. Who knows how many terrorist cells have funded their attacks using Emery's seeds?

As for the bikers, they're famous for their toy drives for needy kids.

Anyone ever see Big Tobacco giving out toys to kids? I've heard a few hand out candy cigarettes but not toys.

Edited by eyeball

AmericanWoman: Honestly, when was the last time the US government respected a rule outside their borders that didn't benefit the US? They brought in NAFTA but you guys reguarly ignored pretty much every ruling that came out of it. The US invaded Iraq, a blatant violation of human rights and international law that has ended up with hundreds of thousands, if not into the millions of Iraqis killed. Who went to prison for that? What about the times that the US State Department goes to bat for people convicted and tortured in prisons abroad. Well, it's legal there, so what's the problem?

The world is a whole lot more complicated than "if you do the crime there, then you do the time." So the guy sold some pot seeds. What happens when pot is eventually legalized in Canada and the laws in the US stays the same? The fear of the overwhelming US reaction is primarily what is keeping back legalization at the moment. Then again, the US government should just respect our laws though, right?

Edited by nicky10013

AmericanWoman: Honestly, when was the last time the US government respected a rule outside their borders that didn't benefit the US? They brought in NAFTA but you guys reguarly ignored pretty much every ruling that came out of it. The US invaded Iraq, a blatant violation of human rights that has ended up with hundreds of thousands, if not into the millions of Iraqis killed. Who went to prison for that? What about the times that the US State Department goes to bat for people convicted and tortured in prisons abroad. Well, it's legal there, so what's the problem?

The world is a whole lot more complicated than "if you do the time there, then you do the time." So the guy sold some pot seeds. What happens when pot is eventually legalized in Canada and the laws in the US stays the same? The fear of the overwhelming US reaction is primarily what is keeping back legalization at the moment. Then again, the US government should just respect our laws though, right?

Venezuela has an existing treaty with the USA and the US refuses to extradite Luis Posada Carriles an ex CIA operative who escaped custody in Venezuela on charges he blew up a civilian airliner...harbouring a terrorist.... and we are going to hand over a pot salesman to country that has absolutely no respect for international treaties or rule of law...