North Korea says it has conducted nuclear test

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

North Korea claims it has successfully conducted a second nuclear weapons test.

The country's official state media organization said the underground test was carried out Monday and was "aimed at strengthening its (North Korea's) self-defence nuclear deterrent in every way".

Looks like Korea continues to be a threat in Asia.

North Korea has carried out a successful nuclear test, raising the explosive power of its nuclear weapons to a new level, state media has said.

The US Geological Survey said it had detected a magnitude 4.7 tremor in North Korea at 0954 local time on Monday, indicating that a nuclear test may have taken place.

Al Jazeera

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Looks like Korea continues to be a threat in Asia.

Everyone is typically looking at Iran...because it's politically correct to be interested in what Israel wants the world to be interested in...mean while the wack jobs that run North Korea have been operating un-impeded. This even to a novice is horrific news. Firstly - NK is a hell hole - secondly it is a hell hole - and thirdly this hell hole h as dug a hole and created a bit of hell under it's own ass - as long as they do not bring this hell to the surface we might be okay for a while. So now that have a workable delivery system and a nice little nuke that will do the job - wonderful..but of course they will use it as a barganing chip to get aid and become part of the civilzed world and even apply for fat loans - will the money be used to ensure the health and well being of the common Korean - or will the lunitics just make more weapons....I don't know why Russia - China and the US did not go in and remove the pedophile officals that drink fine wine while the rest are forced to eat half starved dogs.

What this says is, the only real way to get attention and respect on the global stage is to acquire nukes. What an incentive!

This is exactly the same mentality that drug dealing black gang bangers have - who ever has a gun - and can generate fear has respect....respect is not fear - it is mutual co-operation - and the contract that consists of the trasphere of power back and forth.. If we in the west can not shut down third rate gangster punks in our cities - then where will the west get the courage to shut down gangster punks that run a whole nation - North Korea? It should never have happened - when that short little twit of a man who was in charge a few years ago - showed himself not to be fit to be part of the civilized world - he should have been removed by any means - now it's to late.

Sad truth, in order for anybody to take you serious in todays world......get a Nuke. Governments respect countries with a nuke which is why everybody is trying to get one! i wonder when Canada will jump on the band wagon? Many experts expert an Nuclear or biological incident to occur at some point between someone in the next 5 years...how scarey is that?

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/12/03/us-report.html

Edited by wulf42

Sad truth, in order for anybody to take you serious in todays world......get a Nuke.

well the message has been clearly sent out by the USA "if you don't want to be invaded by us get a Nuke"

Governments respect countries with a nuke which is why everybody is trying to get one! i wonder when Canada will jump on the band wagon?

Canada is one of many countries that if we chose to do so we could have a Nuke in 6 months...so we have the respect of a nuclear power even though we don't have any...we don't have to fear any other country...

Many experts expert an Nuclear exchange at some point between someone in the next 5 years...how scarey is that?

and they've been saying that for 50yrs...

best deterence to nukes being used it seems is to have one

Oleg, with Obama at the helm, nobody is going to get shut down anytime soon. NK and Iran are barreling towards their nuclear utopia without impediments whatsoever. Long live the messiah.

I'm not one to mindlessly criticize Obama as some of the stuff he does makes sense but to be out golfing with a low level aide hours after NoKo tests a nuke and a few missiles doesn't seem like a correct response. Japan and South Korea are shitting their pants and he is playing golf.

Unless of course, he has taken action by sending the seventh fleet but, I imagine it is a flacid UN condemnation again which as we know means nothing to NoKO.

Fore!

I'm not one to mindlessly criticize Obama as some of the stuff he does makes sense but to be out golfing with a low level aide hours after NoKo tests a nuke and a few missiles doesn't seem like a correct response. Japan and South Korea are shitting their pants and he is playing golf.....

Obama may as well play golf, because he can't do anything outside of the legacy framework already in place from Clinton/Bush. Pre-emptive military action against the DPRK is out of the question, not because of their baby nukes, but because of China.

Missile defense doesn't look so stupid after all.

Obama may as well play golf, because he can't do anything outside of the legacy framework already in place from Clinton/Bush. Pre-emptive military action against the DPRK is out of the question, not because of their baby nukes, but because of China.

Missile defense doesn't look so stupid after all.

Move a few missiles onto South Korean and Japanese territory under joint control with scheduled talks for purchasing same by those two countries and see if the Chinese are as happy with Nukes they can't control as they are with ones they can.

Course, Obama is probably dong that right now and the golfing was only a cover.

I suspect American "Boomers" (Submarines) are taking up station all around N Korea and targeting every city town, village, cave ,hole....etc ready to turn South Korea into an island separated from China by the strait of what used to be N Korea.... :P

According to this, N Korea may be in for a surprise!

http://turnerradionetwork.blogspot.com/200...us-nuclear.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090527/ap_on_..._koreas_nuclear

Edited by wulf42

I certainly hope with all my heart that someone within NK takes out the little nincompoop. So many innocents will die. A conventional war just might work. The huge armed forces of North Korea may just fall apart from lack of ordinance and rations if the Russians and Chinese cut them off.

North Korea has now threatened South Korea with a missile strike.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/05/27/korea-missile.html

It's highly probable that NK has at least one other nuclear weapon ready-to-go. Perhaps even ICBM capable.

Edited by DogOnPorch

I suspect American "Boomers" (Submarines) are taking up station all around N Korea and targeting every city town, village, cave ,hole....etc ready to turn South Korea into an island separated from China by the strait of what used to be N Korea.... :P

No, I seriously doubt such drama is taking place. US "boomers" are strategic assets, except for those being converted for tactical missions. Trident boats already deploy with target packages for any contingency, but they do have a minimum range because of physics.

What really happens is that heightened tensions lead to DefCon elevations and alert status, not because of the DPRK, but because of the unintended consequences and possible escalation. We use to joke that when it's all over, we will meet the Russian crews in Australia for a cold beer.

No, I seriously doubt such drama is taking place. US "boomers" are strategic assets, except for those being converted for tactical missions. Trident boats already deploy with target packages for any contingency, but they do have a minimum range because of physics.

What really happens is that heightened tensions lead to DefCon elevations and alert status, not because of the DPRK, but because of the unintended consequences and possible escalation. We use to joke that when it's all over, we will meet the Russian crews in Australia for a cold beer.

I imagine stress is rising in many Governments over the last week....scarey days ahead i suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why everyone focuses on what to do about North Korea.

When you have a rabid, mongrel dog chained up on the corner, menacing the neighborhood, threatening anyone who goes by, you shoot it and have done with.

The problem here, though, is not the rabid dog, but its owner.

China created this rabid dog of a country. China armed it, funded it, advised it, and shed the blood of a million Chinese soldiers to protect it. It has helped fund, arm and advise North Korea for over fifty years, and China is 100% responsible for anything and everything North Korea does.

What we ought to be doing is focusing on strong economic sanctions against China until it does something about its rabid dog.

North Korea might just be a dog that belongs to China - and they use this mad mutt - to harrass the west while they keep their hands clean - China could send in a half million conventional troops and get rid of that fat little man with the bad temper and 12 year old lovers...... apparently China likes the dog that bites us...