Chrysler already working behind the scenes to pull out of Canada: sour

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...-0R2boDwD4UdtCg

Sources familiar with Chrysler's plans say the automaker has already begun work behind the scenes to pull its operations out of Canada if it can't reach an agreement with the Canadian Auto Workers by the end of the month.

Chrysler Canada has said it needs to cut its labour costs by approximately $20 an hour to be competitive with foreign automakers such as Toyota.

Currently, the company estimates its all-in hourly labour costs - which include wages, benefits and legacy costs such as pensions - to be approximately $76. To be competitive with Toyota plants operating in Canada, it says it needs to reduce those costs to $57 an hour.

My guess is that the company will leave Canada.

Edited by jdobbin

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrysler Canada has said it needs to cut its labour costs by approximately $20 an hour to be competitive with foreign automakers such as Toyota.

Who writes this stuff? Toyota is as foreign as Chrysler...and given that Toyota sells more canadian built vehicles in Canada than Chrysler....Chrysler is more foreign than Toyota.

I plan to visit the Chrysler dealership on saturday....just to see if there are any liquidation deals...while I may go Hyundai or Toyota, I'm not adverse to a Jeep Compass if the sticker price is right.

Who writes this stuff? Toyota is as foreign as Chrysler...and given that Toyota sells more canadian built vehicles in Canada than Chrysler....Chrysler is more foreign than Toyota.

I plan to visit the Chrysler dealership on saturday....just to see if there are any liquidation deals...while I may go Hyundai or Toyota, I'm not adverse to a Jeep Compass if the sticker price is right.

The 2009 models are going for three hundred bucks! No kidding! But - our insurance companies are going to charge you 45 thousand a year to drive.. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter where Chrysler goes. The corporation itself is going bankrupt as a whole. It doesn't matter if the Canadian subsidiary goes down first because Chrysler as a brand has a 1/100 chance of surviving.

Protected bankruptcy is the best they can hope for and I think that's overly optimistic. We'll see some popular brands sold off and the rest of the company is probably just going to fold.

I noticed nothing in the charter about having to support bad business models and poorly built cars with over priced labour.

Are you asserting that all union built cars have low quality and high prices? If you are, that's false.

My point was that unions have every right to exist. Their existence shouldn't deter someone from buying a product.

Are you asserting that all union built cars have low quality and high prices? If you are, that's false.

My point was that unions have every right to exist. Their existence shouldn't deter someone from buying a product.

You are right some have high quality and high prices (ford) and some have low quality and low prices (GM)

But if you want high quaity and low prices you really do have to shun the union shop...

Why not I don't buy union buit products because they are nothing more thn extorsionists nowadays.

You are right some have high quality and high prices (ford) and some have low quality and low prices (GM)

True for the most part. If you want low prices you pretty much have to go Korean. Toyota, Honda, Ford, and most other quality brands (aside from Korean Hyundai) are relatively high priced. You can though, get some good deals on Ford.

I say, you should buy whatever you want. That said, as a Chrysler owner and an industry observer, I would advise against buying Chrysler product. Love Jeep, but I just wouldn't trust the quality right now (IIRC, it is the worst rated brand).

For all you union bashing people on here, the mini-van from Chrysler built in Windsor is a excellent van and Chrysler said itself, that Windsor quality was the best! Would I help Chrysler ... NO! They threaten, the workers, our government and the people who have or are buying their product and I say goodbye! Now doing so we put 10,000 families out of work but maybe some of the loan money could go instead on helping those 10,000 people and making sure that Chrysler pays all the clean cost of those plants, all workers get their servance pay owing. IF not then WE will be paying for them on welfare rolls.

...and further to that, Dancer why wouldnt you buy used considering some people have put themselves in a mess and are open to you stealing it (legally) from them for a song?

1) 3.5% Discount off dealer cost (toyota) + 36 months 0% financing or 60 months @ 0% for hynudai

With that in mind, the cost of buying a relatively new used car financed at the normal bank rate means it would be only marginally less expensive than buying new.

I don't union bash. Good union jobs do more for the economy then people realize. Again, are Chrysler execs taking a paycut or do they just expect their workers to? Many unions are already making concessions.

I know you don't bash and usually the people who do are jealous of what those people make or are mangement. I just wonder what union these people are going to bash next, the teachers, other provincial/federal unions, etc. or how about the greenhouse workers??

For all you union bashing people on here, the mini-van from Chrysler built in Windsor is a excellent van and Chrysler said itself, that Windsor quality was the best! Would I help Chrysler ... NO! They threaten, the workers, our government and the people who have or are buying their product and I say goodbye! Now doing so we put 10,000 families out of work but maybe some of the loan money could go instead on helping those 10,000 people and making sure that Chrysler pays all the clean cost of those plants, all workers get their servance pay owing. IF not then WE will be paying for them on welfare rolls.

The only thing Chrysler (Dodge) trucks have going for them is the Cummins Turbo Diesel, which btw is manufactured in good old Brazil.

I am praying for the day when Toyota comes out with a 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickup truck so I can ditch my GM truck for something a lot better and not support Unionized propagandist crap.

I am praying for the day when Toyota comes out with a 3/4 and 1 ton

Well, lets hope they do a better job on the Frame than they did on their 1/2 ton. The Tundra is most certainly not better than the truck offerings from others.

Edited by Smallc

Guess you have never bought a North American car.

I bought three, two were absolute crap. The third I bought after I started doing research on the costs assocatied in the vehicles of union manufactures. After that I have boycotted North American auto makers until the management can show that they can make good decisions, and develope a little bass to deal with the unions I won't buy one from the big three again.