Is Canada's Science Minister a creationalist?

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for science, even worse than being a creationist is being a chiropractor...not believing in some aspects of evolution is far less worse than being a junk science practioner....the whole story gives me a pain in the back.

Hmmmm, my MP is Conservative Christian chiroquacktor too.

Its a freaking cult.

So?

They can believe the moon is made out of freaking cheese if they want to. There is nothing wrong with having personal beliefs and being able to do your job. The funny thing among leftists is that discrimination is bad, but we're allowed to discriminate against Christians.

There are laws that are in place that combat discrimination against religion. Christianity is also a religion, they get the same perks as all the rest.

Another stupid thread created by a leftist tinfoil hatist.

Possibly...but creationism is tinfoil hat stuff and having a possible tinfoil hat wearer is case for concern....

...surely you would question a wahhibi cleric as minister of wimmins thingies?

There is nothing wrong with having personal beliefs and being able to do your job.

The next Minister of Agriculture will say that rotating crops is hogwash, plant the same thing in the same spot year after year or suffer some funding cuts to farm programmes.

And your reply will be "There is nothing wrong with having personal beliefs and being able to do your job"

I doubt it.You are too smart for that.

There is nothing wrong with having personal beliefs and being able to do your job.

That's just the problem though, there is serious doubt about his ability to do his job because of his personal beliefs.

The funny thing among leftists is that discrimination is bad, but we're allowed to discriminate against Christians.

There are laws that are in place that combat discrimination against religion. Christianity is also a religion, they get the same perks as all the rest.

If you look more closely I was actually discriminating against chiropractors.

The fact he regards his profession to be a practical application of science is a real sign of tinfoilism people should be concerned about.

That's just the problem though, there is serious doubt about his ability to do his job because of his personal beliefs.

If you look more closely I was actually discriminating against chiropractors.

The fact he regards his profession to be a practical application of science is a real sign of tinfoilism people should be concerned about.

You are the one who doubts his ablity to do his job, based on no facts you are just disriminating against him and his religion. You are a bigot.

I watched Goodyear when the committees were talking about the "in and out " scam that the Tories did with Elections Canada. He was one A** and that is the only word to described the way he high-jacked the committee so the parties couldn't asked alot of questions of the witnesses. He has a "I know better than you" attitude.

So?

They can believe the moon is made out of freaking cheese if they want to. There is nothing wrong with having personal beliefs and being able to do your job.

There is a freaking problem if they believe the moon is made of freaking cheese and they are responsible for funding SCIENCE. If Christians want to believe in creationism, they have my sympathy, but when it comes to politics, keep that belief to yourself.

Most Canadians Pick Evolution Over Creationism

(Angus Reid Global Monitor) - Many adults in Canada believe the theory of evolution is correct, according to a poll by Angus Reid Strategies. 59 per cent of respondents think human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years. Conversely, 22 per cent of respondents believe God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years, while 19 per cent are not sure.

This has nothing to do with the persecution of Christians. Most Canadians have accepted the God given talents of scientists like Charles Darwin, not some ancient scriptures that were written when many of life's mysteries were still unexplained.

A lot has changed since Ben Franklin flew his kite in a lightening storm, but you wouldn't wire your house from his journals. Accept what he's given us. We are not the product of incest.

Edited by Progressive Tory

If he understands science maybe he does not understand time and space and the eccense of quantum mechanics that is quietly mentioned in scripture. The problem with these supposed Christians is that they are idolters. They never question scripture nor do they even bother to actually give it some deep and open thought. It's garbage in and garbage out. If you are going to be a creationist or an evolutionist - you had better do the work and figure out what is going on - and see how the two theory's connect..but they don't like dumbo fundamentalists..

- If someone says that he turned water into wine - that's it! Wine...when the miracle was actually plain old fashioned water..But Romanization and romantic fancey polluted the minds of Christians from the begining and most look at it with face value - and believe everything they are told...It's ubsurd to look at a fossil on top of a mountain and say - this thing is 6000 years old - tops ----come back in 20 thousand years and that fossil will be about the same...time for Christians to open up their minds and be real thinking- God and logically endowed Christian - unless they wake up Christianity will die..because as it is - it's not the real deal.

We are not the product of incest.

Actually, scientifically, from an evolutionary viewpoint we are. Wa are all descended from a very small population who barely survived at all and it is supposed that we are all descended from one common anscestor, whom they name Eve...

http://scienceandevolution.blogspot.com/20...ndrial-eve.html

I don't think its possible for him to do his job and believe what he believes. It's rather unacceptable. I'm sure someone else could fill this ministerial position.

He should definitely step down. He is not representing the majority of Canadians who support Charles Darwin and Evolution. This is exactly why there needs to be a separation of church and state.

Didn't the Conservatives also block the motion to honour the anniversary of Origins of the Species? I think I read something in MacLeans when I was at the dentist.

You are the one who doubts his ablity to do his job, based on no facts you are just disriminating against him and his religion. You are a bigot.
Mr. Goodyear's evasive answers on evolution are unlikely to reassure the scientists who are skeptical about him, and they bolster the notion that there is a divide between the minister and the research community.

No I am not a religous bigot. I am as equally justified in questioning his credentials as the research community he has alienated.

I do admit to being a medical bigot though. As far as I'm concerned chiropractors are no better than witch doctors. Our local chiropractor shares a practice with an aromatherapist, a naturopath and someone who'll rub your feet and turn you into a pin-cushion. Like I said, its a cult.

And now these quacks are apparently trying to infiltate the government. :ph34r:

If he understands science maybe he does not understand time and space and the eccense of quantum mechanics that is quietly mentioned in scripture. The problem with these supposed Christians is that they are idolters. They never question scripture nor do they even bother to actually give it some deep and open thought.

Scientifically speaking I think that means he's an idiot.

in your best non-bigoted, non-discriminating fashion, perhaps you could enlighten... what exactly does evolution have to do with religion?

as for CPC Minister Goodblimp's views impacting his job, perhaps as big a question/concern relates to the overall CPC policy towards research...

Researchers fear Stagnation under Tories

But what the government sees as supporting priorities, others see as politics directing science.

Andrew Weaver, a world leading climatologist at the University of Victoria and Canada Research Chair in climate modelling and analysis, points to new competitions run through the federal Networks of Centres of Excellence. These are to provide $5-million grants over five years for very particular projects, such as “Energy Production in the Oil Sands,” Dr. Weaver said, or “New media animation and games.”

“Governments have always had a say in research, but this is getting down to micromanagement, this is really specific,” said Dr. Weaver.

What is worse, he said, is that academic researchers must have an industrial partner to qualify for the grant, “so the taxpayer is being used to subsidize Canadian corporate research.

“They're cutting the [basic research] funding system and also stipulating what you can do,” he said. “This is unbelievable – this is Orwellian.”