Coalition Government

madmax

Will the Government be brought down  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Conservatives cooperated with the Bloc in 2006 and the coalition would have to pretty much the same. It's a matter of what considerations are offered to Quebec to decide how happy/unhappy the rest of Canada will be with the arrangement. Quebec is already our biggest welfare province and to allow it to go any further is likely going to alienate the rest of Canada even worse.
The Conservatives did not rely on the Bloc to stay in power. For most of the first minority Conservative government, Harper needed only the support of one opposition party - whether the Bloc, the Liberals or the NDP.

This coalition will depend on the Bloc for every single confidence vote.

Moreover, the Liberals have traditionally been the party of a strong federal government. Most NDPers also want a strong central government. The Conservatives on the other hand have traditionally defended provincial rights. Harper is the guy that wrote the famous "firewall" letter. Regionalism not ideology drives Canadian federal politics.

In their hatred for Harper, some Liberals and NDPers are doing things that are contrary to their long term interests.

NO FREAKIN WAY@*#@(&$#@($

DION TO LEAD COALITION

Looks like Harper will get a second lease on life. The LPC have handed him a mighty gift.

"A poisoned chalice" indeed. Sorry, Dobbins... my condolences.

In my opinion, this is a sheer act of hubris from a guy whose ego just could not bear gong down in history as Canada's equivalent of Walter Mondale. He never accepted the election result, as evidenced by his commentary after the election. Obviously he still doesn't accept the election result.

-k

Just looking at Layton on the tube ---He's got that Vladamir Lenin thing going on with conficence - a bit distrubing - but how modern and cool can a guy be that has a mostache? No one has a mostache unless they brian is locked in a time warp.....can a man with an Elvis hair due be taken seriously? NO - and a guy with hair on his upper lip like it makes him cool is so so far in the past...he's a hippy with a haircut.

In my opinion, this is a sheer act of hubris from a guy whose ego just could not bear gong down in history as Canada's equivalent of Walter Mondale. He never accepted the election result, as evidenced by his commentary after the election. Obviously he still doesn't accept the election result.

-k

I want to take credit here and now for having predicted well over two years ago that Stephane Dion would become PM of Canada. Who sez that I don't know how to call 'em?

Now, how do I redeem my Kimmy points?

Edited by August1991

I want to take credit here and now for having predicted about two years ago that Stephane Dion would become PM of Canada. Who sez that I don't know how to call 'em?

Just leaf through your Kimmy catalogue, decide which Kimmy merchandise you'd like to spend your points on, and let me know. :)

-k

Does anyone else find it ironic that the people here who have been criticizing Harper's over-spending are now frothing in excitement at the prospect of a Liberal/NDP coalition that's going to topple his rule because they don't think he's spending enough?? (Hey Jdobbin!)

Even up to and leading into October people were furious at his tax cuts and spending increases. Personally, I always felt he was overspending and I've never been hugely impressed. With that said, the opposition has been and still is promising to spend MORE. That's why I've never voted against Harper and that's why I may vote for him again.

Jdobbin I'll ask for the THIRD time now how you justify bailout money (and giant deficits because of it) in addition to what's already been spent when previously you were a consistent opponent of bigger budgets leading up to now. METHINKS it may be a little partisanship?

For the record, I'm not against running a moderate deficit in times like this. Personally, I was quite fine with the prospect of Conservative deficits this year. I'm not so sure I'm okay with running $15-20 billion deficits a la Trudeau/Mulroney because the worthless big three and their even more useless unions cannot and never will be competitive in their current state.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the people here who have been criticizing Harper's over-spending are now frothing in excitement at the prospect of a Liberal/NDP coalition that's going to topple his rule because they don't think he's spending enough?? (Hey Jdobbin!)

Even up to and leading into October people were furious at his tax cuts and spending increases. Personally, I always felt he was overspending and I've never been hugely impressed. With that said, the opposition has been and still is promising to spend MORE. That's why I've never voted against Harper and that's why I may vote for him again.

Jdobbin I'll ask for the THIRD time now how you justify bailout money (and giant deficits because of it) in addition to what's already been spent when previously you were a consistent opponent of bigger budgets leading up to now. METHINKS it may be a little partisanship?

For the record, I'm not against running a moderate deficit in times like this. Personally, I was quite fine with the prospect of Conservative deficits this year. I'm not so sure I'm okay with running $15-20 billion deficits a la Trudeau/Mulroney because the worthless big three and their even more useless unions cannot and never will be competitive in their current state.

I know the city of edmonton is happy to hear a stimulous package they are hoping we can get some money for much needed infastructure projects.

As for the Deficit thing only reason I can say I was personally mad was like income trusts Harper would have lied to my face, one minute he sais the economy is fundamentally strong , next minute it is recession and deficits will be unavoidable in the future. I have no problem when my elected official comes forth and tells the truth at least they are being honest

Edited by johhny

Indeed, providence works in mysterious ways! Who could have guessed that to get virtually unelectable Mr Dion in the PM chair, Harper himself, who cherishes power above all else, would have to bring it to him on a golden plate, all out of a minor spite, and pathological inability to stop the kicking reflex and get down to business?

Indeed, providence works in mysterious ways! Who could have guessed that to get virtually unelectable Mr Dion in the PM chair, Harper himself, who cherishes power above all else, would have to bring it to him on a golden plate, all out of a minor spite, and pathological inability to stop the kicking reflex and get down to business?

I don't think any politician would consider himself fortunate to govern in times like these. Generally speaking governments don't get re-elected after recessions. Harper should count himself fortunate that he won't have to take responsibility for a disastrous economy. Whoever inherits this mess is going to pay for it in the next election whether or not they deserve it.

If the Liberals/NDP want to throw money at people like the US is doing and watch inflation and taxes rise, so be it. I'm not happy about it but they WILL pay for it.

I'm okay with stimulus but not bailouts. If the new coalition is going to invest in municipal and provincial infrastructure (highways, power etc) then I won't complain. If we're going to be throwing money at charities like an over-capacity auto industry, however, then I'll LMAO when Canadians make them pay for it in the decades to come.

I think that national unity and regionalism will be back with a vengeance.

Aside from the role of the BQ in Canada's new government, this is also pretty much a Toronto-Montreal government.

The NDP has a few rural ridings scattered across the country. The Liberals have some ridings in the Maritimes. Both parties have a handful of seats in Vancouver. But overall this new coalition will be regionalized even more than Chretien's all-Ontario governments were.

-k

I think that national unity and regionalism will be back with a vengeance.

Aside from the role of the BQ in Canada's new government, this is also pretty much a Toronto-Montreal government.

The NDP has a few rural ridings scattered across the country. The Liberals have some ridings in the Maritimes. Both parties have a handful of seats in Vancouver. But overall this new coalition will be regionalized even more than Chretien's all-Ontario governments were.

-k

I see a huge movement in BC should they help the forestry sector this will help cripple the Torie stranglehold in the west.

I see a huge movement in BC should they help the forestry sector this will help cripple the Torie stranglehold in the west.

What're they going to do? Buy the wood themselves?

During the election Jack came through here telling everybody how he was going to fix forestry by undoing the "softwood sell-out" or whatever the hell he calls it. And each town he went to, the mayors told him the same thing: it's not the softwood agreement that's killing the industry, it's lack of demand.

-k

I want to take credit here and now for having predicted well over two years ago that Stephane Dion would become PM of Canada. Who sez that I don't know how to call 'em?

Haven't you been claiming for the last several days that this was all a big fuss over nothing, and it was never going to happen? Don't you lose points for that?

What're they going to do? Buy the wood themselves?

During the election Jack came through here telling everybody how he was going to fix forestry by undoing the "softwood sell-out" or whatever the hell he calls it. And each town he went to, the mayors told him the same thing: it's not the softwood agreement that's killing the industry, it's lack of demand.

-k

maybe falling demand in the U.S but Asia the demand is increasing with the Asia pacific coridor and the new port I can see some very opertune trade deals in the future for B.C.

I don't think any politician would consider himself fortunate to govern in times like these. Generally speaking governments don't get re-elected after recessions. Harper should count himself fortunate that he won't have to take responsibility for a disastrous economy. Whoever inherits this mess is going to pay for it in the next election whether or not they deserve it.

If the Liberals/NDP want to throw money at people like the US is doing and watch inflation and taxes rise, so be it. I'm not happy about it but they WILL pay for it.

I'm okay with stimulus but not bailouts. If the new coalition is going to invest in municipal and provincial infrastructure (highways, power etc) then I won't complain. If we're going to be throwing money at charities like an over-capacity auto industry, however, then I'll LMAO when Canadians make them pay for it in the decades to come.

I suspect one of the first priorities, given the three idiots who'll make up this triumverate, will be big tax increases on gasoline, diesel, home heating oil, natural gas, etc, as well as big tax fines for resource intensive industries.

In order to protect the climate, don'thca know.

I suspect one of the first priorities, given the three idiots who'll make up this triumverate, will be big tax increases on gasoline, diesel, home heating oil, natural gas, etc, as well as big tax fines for resource intensive industries.

In order to protect the climate, don'thca know.

Don't worry, the tory war room is firing on all cylinders now. I can't wait for the attack ads. Harper needs to make a big speech.

Don't worry, the tory war room is firing on all cylinders now. I can't wait for the attack ads. Harper needs to make a big speech.

Nothing the Tories could have done to frighten Canadians about this coallition would have created half so much fear as hearing Stephan Dion's name given as its leader.

A weak party led by a lame-duck leader who can't decide on priorities, a bunch of NDP cabinet ministers, and every single piece of legislation having to pass over the desk of the leader of the separatists for his approval. Oh yeah, that'll work.

The beauty of it is that if it collapses in a mess within a couple of months the Liberals will look like imbeciles, but the longer they carry on, the more legislation they pass which has to be altered to please the separatists, the more Dion submits to Duceppe's demands, the more hated the entire Liberal party will become throughout the rest of the country.

It'll be hard to vote him out if he shuts down parliament. If Harper lays down a budget when Obama lays down his economic plan, the opposition has an extremely large mess on their hands.

I don't know that the Governor General can let Parliament prorogue without a supply bill.

In their hatred for Harper, some Liberals and NDPers are doing things that are contrary to their long term interests.

There was no long term future when Harper planned to take them to an election before May under terms only favourable to the Tories. Harper didn't care about the country when he made up his economic statement.