Coalition Government

madmax

Will the Government be brought down  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many people that "cross the floor" are re-elected.

Lots.

ya, i figure the nation within a nation status.

Actually, that was Ignatieff's policy that Harper adopted. I don't think he made any such promise in 2004 but we can certainly ask Duceppe.

Chretien governed with his 39% of the popular vote. Martin governed with his 36% of the popular vote. Neither of them were ousted to make space for a guy who'd just 2 months earlier received 26% of the popular vote.

-k

Electoral support below 50% is problematic for Liberals only when the Conservatives are in government.

The silence of Trudeau's son is deafening.

If he did speak, you would say that he was to inexperienced as a new MP to be mouthing off. His silence is appropriate during negotiations. If he feels the deal is bad, he can resign or cross the floor to the Tories.

Trudeau may have played games with Stanfield or Lewis but the only games he ever played with Levesque involved knives. Trudeau was consistent on this point throughout his career.

Trudeau asked Broadbent and the NDP to join his party when he had a majority. I don't think you can possibly say what he would do today.

IOW, the one true policy the Liberals have is their connection to national unity. If they lose that (and they will if they go along with this coalition idea dependent on eternal Bloc support), then I think their leader will be forever marked.

Aside from the fact that Harper's attempt at a deal in 2005 never went through and so we'll never know what would have happened, the Tories are (or at least were) in a different place on the National Question.

I know the Tories are going to make a big deal about the Bloc propping up the coalition but I don't know if they are going to appeal to anyone except their base.

Dobbin, you must admit that teh Liberals will be going into unknown and very dangerous territory if they let the NDP into the cabinet and if they are beholden to the Bloc for every confidence vote. How will the English Canadian public view this Liberal leader in the next federal election?

No doubt it is dangerous. However, as I said Harper was planning an election to exterminate the Liberals before May anyway.

To put the scope of Dion's defeat in historical context,...

To put the scope of Harpers defeat in historical context

Harper is on the precipice of a blunder that could eclipse Clark's as the gravest miscalculation in Canadian political history.

Who will win.....

THE BIGGEST LOSER

DION VS TURNER ----- DION

HARPER VS CLARK..... TUNE IN NEXT WEEK to see if Prime Minister Harper can surpass Joe Clarks historic record of strategic incompetence.

CANADAs BIGGEST LOSER

And what is the Common Factor in both the CLARK government and the HARPER government?

BOB RAE. Will he once again be the pitch boy for the defeat of an inept Conservative Government. Is there someting about Bob Rae in Federal Parliment that challenges the counting abilities of Conservative Prime Ministers.

Will Stephen Harper put on his Wil E Coyote ACME HAT or will he get hit by the Runaway Train driven by Road Runner Rae.

Find out this and more...... on CANADAS BIGGEST LOSER B)

Seriously Kimmy. I am not disagreeing with what you are saying. It just isn't going to make a difference in what transpires in the next week. We are all going to watch this unfold and papers are going to make alot of money. Great Ads for christmas and increased sales at the newstands:)

Only the really, really, really, really dumb ones.

I just think he tends to cut his nose off to spite his face.

He could have made this government work but he plays games so that the Opposition feels it has no other move than to vote no confidence.

Harper used to mock Clark for his budget that brought down his government. He should have seen this coming.

I just think he tends to cut his nose off to spite his face.

He could have made this government work but he plays games so that the Opposition feels it has no other move than to vote no confidence.

Harper used to mock Clark for his budget that brought down his government. He should have seen this coming.

Like this

Holding court in the aisle of the chartered Air Canada Airbus 319, Harper was entertaining a group of reporters with a favourite topic: former prime minister Joe Clark's bungling in 1979.

"You can be principled without being stupid," he said aboard the campaign plane Dec. 13, 2005.

With an almost childlike glee, Harper recounted the Clark administration's decision to table a budget with an 18-cent-a-gallon gasoline tax, which caused the Progressive Conservative minority government to fall Dec. 13, 1979.

"I mean, I read that (1979 Tory election) platform," he said, motioning as if he were leafing through the document, "and there wasn't a word in it about raising gas taxes 18 cents a gallon!"

A Quebec poll shows 76% of Quebecers in favour. Only 9% want an election. 9% undecided.

En effet, 76% des personnes interrogées favorisent l'installation au pouvoir d'un gouvernement de coalition si les conservateurs sont défaits lundi prochain, alors que seulement 9% souhaitent la tenue d'élections générales et que 9% sont indécis.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebe...e-coalition.php

I suppose the results of these polls depend entirely on how the question is asked.

The only consideration in a poll of Quebecers is - Will a French Quebec guy be in charge?"

Since this "coallition" will have 2 French Quebec guys in charge - hey - what's not to like?

The problem with our system is the rivalry and how one can rule with a iron thumb, every watch kids in the hall where buddy walks around smushing people with his thumb well thats what the Tories have been doing all these years. Just because your party gets 39% of the vote should not mean everyone elses thoughts and opinioin get vitto'd in a democracy system thats why this coalition will be good everyones vote should it be Liberal,green,torie or NDP will matter. I have called my local MP a conservative and have expressed how he for the best interest of our riding to work with this coalition should it happen so he can represent our needs and get past the Rivalry. What I think will happen is we will end up with more party's with a smaller percent who will form coalition with one another who may not necisarily hold the same platfrom but will work together for the best interest of the country.

The silence of Trudeau's son is deafening.

Trudeau may have played games with Stanfield or Lewis but the only games he ever played with Levesque involved knives. Trudeau was consistent on this point throughout his career.

----

IOW, the one true policy the Liberals have is their connection to national unity. If they lose that (and they will if they go along with this coalition idea dependent on eternal Bloc support), then I think their leader will be forever marked.

Aside from the fact that Harper's attempt at a deal in 2005 never went through and so we'll never know what would have happened, the Tories are (or at least were) in a different place on the National Question.

Dobbin, you must admit that teh Liberals will be going into unknown and very dangerous territory if they let the NDP into the cabinet and if they are beholden to the Bloc for every confidence vote. How will the English Canadian public view this Liberal leader in the next federal election?

This reminds me of the feint military tactic. Harper could possibly shut down parliament, he could get away with it because he is more than justified in doing so. He can roll out the budget, and let the opposition do its worst. All the while rolling out attack ad upon attack ad. There is plenty of ammunition for the tories to use.

Harper has also in a sense put the GG in a corner. Does she allow a coalition with separatists? Does she allow an election? The GG is a figurehead appointed by reputation. Would the GG want to go into the history books as someone who would allow the separatists a chance in gov't? Does Harper go to the Crown if he can?

Harper is preparing for the next election and has enough ammunition to lay a real hurting on all the opposition parties. Let loose the attack ads!!!

Gonna squish your head....I'm squishing your head" I loved Kids In The Hall. Here is the real problem...the average political elected municipally - then on to take a provincal postion - then to Ottawa are all hick - I would rather deal with a politican that was imbedded by big buisness - like Tony Clement...Watch David Millers meetings at Toronto City Hall - You will be stunned to see that control freaks with no ability or vision or character have taken over the city..Ottawa is just a grander version of these idiots...I hope the whole government disappears and TORONTO _ that is the real capital of Canada rules - and dispite our liberalism - we are a conservative core and good managers of large companies called Canada. Disolve the government - but let them stay and play...and don't tell them it's theater.....Let those rule that are the best.

I know the Tories are going to make a big deal about the Bloc propping up the coalition but I don't know if they are going to appeal to anyone except their base.
Harper and the Tories can yap on about the Bloc but it's not the Conservative base that I'm thinking of.

I'm thinking of the Liberal base, such as it is. These are people in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes who still admire Trudeau and who believe in a strong, united Canada. They don't like Harper and they don't like the NDP. They don't like separatists.

There are many Liberal voters like this and how will they feel if a Liberal leader must kowtow to Duceppe and Layton?

No doubt it is dangerous. However, as I said Harper was planning an election to exterminate the Liberals before May anyway.
I don't know what Harper was planning to do and that's neither here nor there.

The Liberals have often patronized the NDP but they have never formally invited them into a coalition. If it were just the NDP, then I might see it as viable. It is the Bloc that will be hard for many stalwart, Trudeau Liberals to digest.

----

Dobbin, it was Ignatieff himself who used the term "poisoned chalice". If this coalition goes ahead, time will tell whether it will be smart for a Liberal leader. If I were the Liberals, I would thank Harper for the extra week to poll likely Liberal voters.

Perhaps not surprisingly, according to La Presse's poll, many Quebecers seem willing to have a coalition even including Bloc ministers as long as Dion is not PM.

Harper and the Tories can yap on about the Bloc but it's not the Conservative base that I'm thinking of.

There are many Liberal voters like this and how will they feel if a Liberal leader must kowtow to Duceppe and Layton?

It seems to me that many probably don't like Harper even more than the NDP or being propped up by the Bloc.

I don't know what Harper was planning to do and that's neither here nor there.

Actually, it has a lot to do with confidence. No one believes Harper will not call an election in the next months so why bother to have him act the bully till then.

The Liberals have often patronized the NDP but they have never formally invited them into a coalition. If it were just the NDP, then I might see it as viable. It is the Bloc that will be hard for many stalwart, Trudeau Liberals to digest.

Trudeau formally invited them to join up. Broadbent said so yesterday.

Dobbin, it was Ignatieff himself who used the term "poisoned chalice". If this coalition goes ahead, time will tell whether it will be smart for a Liberal leader. If I were the Liberals, I would thank Harper for the extra week to poll likely Liberal voters.

Since Harper will call an election anyway, what's the point?

Perhaps not surprisingly, according to La Presse's poll, many Quebecers seem willing to have a coalition even including Bloc ministers as long as Dion is not PM.

I can't say for certain that he won't be there but I think it will be hard for him to be PM. You never know. If the Bloc and NDP can live with it, then it might happen. The three Liberals leadership candidates certainly can't do it.

Where are you getting your information that the Bloc will be anywhere in government?

Get used to it, that will be tory spin. They might as well be, it's their votes that will allow legislation to pass.

If you really want to split hairs. The bloc are already in government, they were elected to the house of commons as MP's.

Where are you getting your information that the Bloc will be anywhere in government?

The Bloc would hold the balance of power. A Liberal/NDP coalition means very little because the CPC controls more seats than both of them combined. Every decision will have to cater to the Bloc because without the Bloc's help no legislation will pass.

The Conservatives cooperated with the Bloc in 2006 and the coalition would have to pretty much the same. It's a matter of what considerations are offered to Quebec to decide how happy/unhappy the rest of Canada will be with the arrangement. Quebec is already our biggest welfare province and to allow it to go any further is likely going to alienate the rest of Canada even worse.

The bloc are already in government, they were elected to the house of commons as MP's.

What's the difference now, then? Any possible coalition government will rely on Bloc votes for confidence motions, but if the coalition parties pander too much to the Bloc, they'll face the consequences from the ROC in the following election.

What's the difference now, then? Any possible coalition government will rely on Bloc votes for confidence motions, but if the coalition parties pander too much to the Bloc, they'll face the consequences from the ROC in the following election.

The opposition parties will already be facing huge consequences from the ROC in the following election. The tory war room is having a field day.