Coalition Government

madmax

Will the Government be brought down  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That will make a huge difference when you add all their seats to those held by the Bloc, NDP and Liberals.

Oh wait, our resident Liberal apologist is still pretending that the Bloc are not a part of the coalition.

I don't see them becoming cabinet ministers or being in the actual government, do you?

Because he knows the consequences for the Liberals if Canadians perceive them as spreading their legs for the separatists. The biggest job ahead for Dion and Layton is promoting the utterly nonsensical premise that the Bloc is a benign force that wants nothing for propping them up.

I'm sorry if I find the Tory supporters who hate this deal probably didn't say a peep when Harper signed deals with the Bloc in 2004 to do the same thing.

The instability started when Harper decided to act in a ruthless bullying way once again and lost the confidence in a minority government.

It's getting so so so incredibly old hearing you say that. "Ruthless Bullying" I can't even take you seriously when you say this.

Harper didn't bully. He took advantage of a paralyzed and crippled opposition who disagreed with basically everything he said and pushed his party platform forward. That was it. He advanced his agenda because nobody was going to stop him. Why bother cooperating with your political rivals/enemies if you're not required to? Don't bother answering by the way Jdobbin. That was a rhetorical question.

Having said that, I'm actually HOPING the Liberals and the NDP get in bed together. They'll make it a three-some with the Bloc. If I was Harper I'd be doing whatever I could to let someone else govern during this economic S**T storm and take the heat for the fat deficit in a few years.

What I'd like to know though, particularly from you Jdobbin, is what your position is on a Liberal/NDP coalition that has pretty much indicated they'll start throwing billions worth of hand outs and bailouts to struggling Canadians. Can you justify the spending now once the Liberals are in charge???? /rolls eyes

Even if you think this confidence vote is a naked grab for power, our system provides for it.

that doesnt mean its right, so soon after an election I mean, that shouldnt be allowed. It's like they dont care the canadians just decided who they wanted governing.

It is up to the Opposition to explain why they lost confidence but once that confidence vote is lost, only one person can decide what happens next. The Governor General weighs out all factors. The screams that it is antidemocratic from those who are Conservative supporters has to be judged for the silence they had when they attempted the same things themselves in 2004.

its hardly the same thing, they had a majority didnt they? it was the people who punished them not the conservatives.

It is fair and it sometimes better than repeated elections that drain the treasury and don't resolved anything after they are done.

you really think this will resolve anything? this coalition will falter before long and we are back to the polls anyway. I just hope when it happens that canadians really punish those parties.

It is my prediction and I am confident of it.

I am HOPING that they form this coalition.

Will you ask for a change in leadership fr the Tory party like some of your colleagues? They seem to say that if the government falls, they want to see their people in place instead.

Then we will see which of the two of us knows Canadians the best.

Seems that you might have to wait till the Tories settle their leadership issues.

It is certainly within the rules.

However, the lefties who've gone on for the past 3 years about the injustice of having a Prime Minister who was chosen by only 38% of Canadians seem strangely supportive of having a Prime Minister who only 26% of Canadians voted for.

-k

I believe that cry existed in the Paul Martin Government, and the Chretien government, when he had a Majority with a Minority of votes. The Reform Party used to scream the loudest, and before that the NDP. Even the PC felt disadvantaged with 25% of the vote and 2 seats :)

These are our electoral rules. The CPC knew them before this occurred. Conservatives have used these same rules since Sir John A MacDonald and long before confederation. The system works.

Mr Harper is about to be forever remembered in the history books.

that doesnt mean its right, so soon after an election I mean, that shouldnt be allowed. It's like they dont care the canadians just decided who they wanted governing.

I don't know how many times it has to be said. We elect MPs who form governments. We don't directly elect the government.

its hardly the same thing, they had a majority didnt they? it was the people who punished them not the conservatives.

No, it was a minority. You should read more on this and comment then.

you really think this will resolve anything? this coalition will falter before long and we are back to the polls anyway. I just hope when it happens that canadians really punish those parties.

I think the Opposition has lost confidence in Harper to stop acting like a bully in a minority government. That is enough to vote no confidence.

You might not like it but it is within the rules and it is the job of the Opposition to oppose when they lose faith in the government.

My internet server is Sympatico. On the home page they ask a polling question about some current issue every day. It's not a scientific poll but given the number of subscribers it can't help but be pertinent.

This morning the question is "Would you support a coalition government"?

61% voted 'NO'.

So far I've seen no sign that the Opposition parties have considered how ordinary Canadians feel about what they are proposing.

If the Sympatico informal poll means anything, I think they'd better consider it, fast!

Won't matter. Wait for the attack adds and the spin doctoring. But it won't change anything. Harper called an election and 72% of the public didn't want one. People quickly forget. They don't want another election.

I have already done straw polliing.

Coalition or Election and people choose Coalition in huge numbers.

And how does the Opposition prove that they are stable, that they are able to pass legislation? Only by presenting all members of the coalition, or letters of agreement of same, to the GG. Liberals plus NDP does not represent a stable govt, they are many seats short of a majority and many seats short of the total of the govt they propose to replace. The GG will not accept vague promises of assistance from the Bloc as evidence of stability, so either they formally include the Bloc or they can take their toys and go home. I cannot believe that the NDP and Liberals are so stupid as to formally align with the Bloc, it would be suicidal.

The 'coalition' cannot form a govt, and they cannot afford an election.

We are in midgame still, and all sides still have options.

The current answer I have to all your questions is a clearly defined.

I don't know ;)

It's getting so so so incredibly old hearing you say that. "Ruthless Bullying" I can't even take you seriously when you say this.

And yet look at where we are now. Think Harper got here by acting conciliatory?

I think you were one of many that said the Liberals were going to bend over and like it...or else. Well, the answer is no now.

Having said that, I'm actually HOPING the Liberals and the NDP get in bed together. They'll make it a three-some with the Bloc. If I was Harper I'd be doing whatever I could to let someone else govern during this economic S**T storm and take the heat for the fat deficit in a few years.

Good, another Tory who thinks that the Tories should sit in Opposition instead.

What I'd like to know though, particularly from you Jdobbin, is what your position is on a Liberal/NDP coalition that has pretty much indicated they'll start throwing billions worth of hand outs and bailouts to struggling Canadians. Can you justify the spending now once the Liberals are in charge???? /rolls eyes

I think that the Liberals will have a far better record on spending than the Tories. The NDP know as well that they will be judged on how well they manage to finances.

Harper didn't bully.

Does anyone else believe that statement? This is the only reason a joke thread could have turned serious. Hamfisted Harper Bullied as he has since becoming Prime Minister 06. Unfortuneately his TV adds didn't carry into this next session of parliment and the sweater came off. While he managed to get achieve his goals with this tactic with LPC and BQ support, apparently that has come to an end.

What's this conservative dumbtalk about "undemocratic" nature of coalitions? Or is it because this time (unlike when they were in opposition), it doesn't suit them? People elected these parties with their standings (the only thing I'd wish for is for the standing to reflect popular vote more realistically), and the parties can take it from there and form any coalitions or allegiances they find appropriate in the current political situation. If people don't like the governance of the coalition, they'll vote it out in the next election. If Harper's folks don't understand that, they're in a poor position to educate us about democracy - giving them the benefit of a doubt that they actually think that and aren't holding us for dumb ass with their talking points.

Will you ask for a change in leadership fr the Tory party like some of your colleagues? They seem to say that if the government falls, they want to see their people in place instead.

Seems that you might have to wait till the Tories settle their leadership issues.

Leadership issues? Are you serious? A Liberal thinks the Tories have leadership issues?

LOL!!!

I'm saving mine for when Harper has to move out of Sussex.
The National Capital Commission is pressing the Prime Minister's Office for permission to temporarily move Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his family and begin massive renovations at crumbling 24 Sussex Drive.

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1016285

Everybody's getting into the act. :lol:

I don't know how many times it has to be said. We elect MPs who form governments. We don't directly elect the government.

We may not directly elect the government and all that will be employed in running this nation....but our vote for our MP of our choosing is also a vote for the type of government we want, be it liberal , PC, NDP what ever....And forming a coalition government takes that away....kind of makes voting a mout piont really.

So i agree with Historybuff, it may be legal to do so, but it does not make it right....

There is still alot of unanswered questions before the GG steps into the S Storm, what exactly is the coalitions solution to our economic crises, and is it actually better than Harpers plan....or is it just a power grab....

what exactly is the coalitions solution to our economic crises, and is it actually better than Harpers plan....or is it just a power grab....

The problem is no more about Funding or an economic plan to the crises. All the best plans are laid to waste if you do not have the confidence of the house. The Prime Minister could lose the confidence of the house, and appears set to do so. He has already backtracked, postponed economic forecasts, is suggesting to postpone parliment. This is not a person exuding confidence but avoiding defeat. Similar to Paul Martin when he shunted the NDP, and Harper already had the BQ in his back pocket.

The coalition is a benefit to avoid a costly election during a crises and allows the government to perform its duty to Canada. Responsible Government. Something that, if you have followed the actions of the Prime Minister decided to abandon Responsible government for Political advantage.

Considering that the LPC hasn't collapsed this far into it, indicates to me the current Conservative run government will be unable to function and replaced by a LPC/NDP coalition.

Can the CPC get BQ support? Can the CPC entice the LPC to support its Government? Can the CPC get the support of the NDP?

Can the CPC get the LPC to become absent in the house?

The answer appears to be no, and therefore no confidence.

It doesn't matter if Harper planned to pave roads with gold, put billions into industry, give billions in tax cuts and elimate the GST completely.

Nobody trusts him.

That is not good.