Coalition Government

madmax

Will the Government be brought down  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Actually, they did have election platforms. That was put forward to the public.

As far as no confidence, the Governor General decides whether the Opposition is in a position to govern.

The average Canadian did have a say. They voted for their MP.

Blame the Governor General then. Blame the system. Bit for pete's sake, if you are saying it is illegitimate, the Supreme Court wouldn't even here your case.

You sound like you are about to take up arms on this. Are you a revolutionary?

To me this has now gone far beyond party lines, and rhetoric. I really am at the point where I don't care who wins the election, boot harper out. I just want to see democracy prevail.

I am very fearful about the state of the democracy in this country.

I am not a revelotionary and would not take up arms. I love my country, but above all else I value my democratic right.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a revelotionary and would not take up arms. I love my country, but above all else I value my democratic right.

You had it. What you seem to want are countless, repeated elections one after the other. The system was set up to prevent that from happening.

Its more of a mandate then any of the other parties receive, if you think that you parties are so right, why not put together a platform and take it to the people? What are you scared of, if the people of this country are on side with you, your coalition will be returned with a majority. The citizens will have had their say and you will have your government. WHAT ARE YOU SCARED OF?

I'm not scared of anything. Two elections in a row, Conservatives were a minority....it would happen a third time despite your overconfidence. Canada is a left-leaning country and Harper is putting it in a crap hole.

I just don't want the taxpayers to have to spend another $300 Million two months after a federal election when, as has been said before, there are LEGAL ways to change the government.

You can kick, scream, and twist math all you want, but the fact is the majority of Canada voted against the Conservatives. If the MPs in opposition elected by the people decide to get together to form a government, and they work out the deal, then there is nothing wrong with that, especially since a majority of Canadians voted for them.

The Liberals have a majority in the opposition, followed by the NDP and BQ. The same general percentages will be applied to the coalition government.

Canadians will be getting what they wanted, albeit in a different form.

You had it. What you seem to want are countless, repeated elections one after the other. The system was set up to prevent that from happening.

We have not had countless repeated elections, their countries that vote every year.

Seeing what we have seen in the last week the result of the next election would be a majority, but who knows which party.

All I care about right at this very minute is that the canadian people are consulted.

I'm not scared of anything. Two elections in a row, Conservatives were a minority....it would happen a third time despite your overconfidence. Canada is a left-leaning country and Harper is putting it in a crap hole.

I just don't want the taxpayers to have to spend another $300 Million two months after a federal election when, as has been said before, there are LEGAL ways to change the government.

You can kick, scream, and twist math all you want, but the fact is the majority of Canada voted against the Conservatives. If the MPs in opposition elected by the people decide to get together to form a government, and they work out the deal, then there is nothing wrong with that, especially since a majority of Canadians voted for them.

The Liberals have a majority in the opposition, followed by the NDP and BQ. The same general percentages will be applied to the coalition government.

We fought for democracy and damn the cost it is what our veterans died for. We have a right to be consulted on this, I would rather spend taxmoney on democratic elections then on anything else.

Edited by Alta4ever

Yet you completely ignored my earlier question as to what exactly is 'undemocratic' about a coalition government.

It depends on the circumstance that they are brought in on. We have time for an election we are not in a major global war. Their is no reason not to have another election. Do you value your right to vote. If this was the conservatives doing this in 2004 you would want the same, heck I would want the same.

As I said before this extends past party lines.

We have not had countless repeated elections, their countries that vote every year.

We've had quite a few the last years and you want one again.

Seeing what we have seen in the last week the result of the next election would be a majority, but who knows which party.

Baloney. I don't know that anyone can say how it would go. We could end up with a minority again and given Harper's penchant for brinkmanship he could be the cause of another election if he is in government or opposition.

Some Tories don't seem to care and are angling for a $300 million election when there is a historical mechanism in place to spare the country that and still fall within democratic principles. Harper knew that. He knew it and was going to use it and all we hear from some Tory supporters here is that if they knew they would have been opposed. I don't believe it. I really don't believe it.

Just as I don't believe that Harper can stop himself from playing the ruthless approach at every turn.

It is a ploy. A ply to stop them losing office.

And to show how cynical Harper is, there is a story that he will prorogue Parliament rather than face a confidence vote. You want an election, right? How is that to happen when Harper decides to take a break from appearing before Parliament? What do you think of that? Think it is sheer genius, absolute genius?

All I care about right at this very minute is that the canadian people are consulted.

Basically, you are saying the Governor General should ignore the best constitutional advice on the job she does because you disagree with her.

Baloney. I don't know that anyone can say how it would go. We could end up with a minority again and given Harper's penchant for brinkmanship he could be the cause of another election if he is in government or opposition.

Some Tories don't seem to care and are angling for a $300 million election when there is a historical mechanism in place to spare the country that and still fall within democratic principles. Harper knew that. He knew it and was going to use it and all we hear from some Tory supporters here is that if they knew they would have been opposed. I don't believe it. I really don't believe it.

Just as I don't believe that Harper can stop himself from playing the ruthless approach at every turn.

And to show how cynical Harper is, there is a story that he will prorogue Parliament rather than face a confidence vote. You want an election, right? How is that to happen when Harper decides to take a break from appearing before Parliament? What do you think of that? Think it is sheer genius, absolute genius?

Basically, you are saying the Governor General should ignore the best constitutional advice on the job she does because you disagree with her.

No what I am asking her to do is to go the people of Canada

Get ready for more attack ads and more brinkmanship. It'll be dicey until January when the budget is tabled. Who knows what the GG will do? She may or may not accept a coalition. Harper is buying time to spin his message. If polls indicate Harper is found to be in the right by the populace, watch him to berate the opposition into an election. Harper is playing with fire and a jerry can of gasoline.

We fought for democracy and damn the cost it is what our veterans died for. We have a right to be consulted on this, I would rather spend taxmoney on democratic elections then on anything else.

We. Already. Voted.

63% of the voters voted against the Cons.

54% of the voters voted for the Liberals, NDP, and Bloc.

If that 54% decides to get together to form a government, the majority, not the minority 37%, is represented as a government.

It's democratic, because we voted on these candidates. It's democratic because the majority is represented in a government.

If Australian and NZ right-wing governments can use coalitions to form governments, Canada's left-wing can too.

There is nothing you can say that will prove that 37% of the voters should have the mandated say of government in this nation if the parties garnishing 54% of the votes can come together to form a government.

We. Already. Voted.

If that 54% decides to get together to form a government, the majority, not the minority 37%, is represented as a government.

It's democratic, because we voted on these candidates. It's democratic because the majority is represented in a government.

If Australian and NZ right-wing governments can use coalitions to form governments, Canada's left-wing can too.

There is nothing you can say that will prove that 37% of the voters should have the mandated say of government in this nation if the parties garnishing 54% of the votes can come together to form a government.

we are not NZ pr Aust. We are Canadian not one Canadian voted for this coalition, one no less who is a seperatisit party.

We. Already. Voted.

Have fun trying to take that message to the voting public. I love it, tory brass has the opposition with its hands caught in the cookie jar. All they have to do is shut down parliament until the budget tabling. All the coalition has done is give tory brass plenty of ammunition in the next barrage of attack ads, press conferences, etc. I can hear them chanting cowards now. The question is can the left wing coalition explain to the Canadian voting public the reason for their intentions? All the tories have to do is table the budget and they are on easy street. Let the mudslinging begin!!!

Get ready for more attack ads and more brinkmanship. It'll be dicey until January when the budget is tabled. Who knows what the GG will do? She may or may not accept a coalition. Harper is buying time to spin his message. If polls indicate Harper is found to be in the right by the populace, watch him to berate the opposition into an election. Harper is playing with fire and a jerry can of gasoline.

If he prorogues Parliament, I expect he will keep his head tucked till mid-January.

Harper may even go to the Governor General before the vote and ask for an election.

It depends on the circumstance that they are brought in on. We have time for an election we are not in a major global war. Their is no reason not to have another election. Do you value your right to vote. If this was the conservatives doing this in 2004 you would want the same, heck I would want the same.

As I said before this extends past party lines.

Yes, you made your opinions clear, I don't question that. But I was asking you what specifically is 'undemocratic' about a coalition government (since you seem to enjoy throwing that word around).

If he prorogues Parliament, I expect he will keep his head tucked till mid-January.

Harper may even go to the Governor General before the vote and ask for an election.

He has to prorogue parliament. He has a legitimate excuse to do so. By moving up the budget by a month, he can pretty much get away with it. I think the budget is critical to his plan. He has to deliver it. Especially with Senator Obama taking office and giving his economic plan. The budget might not get voted on, but he'll deliver the points and ask to go to the electorate on it. He now has all the ammunition he needs for a nasty election campaign that will inevitably be coming whether its in February or when the coalition falls apart.

He's better off rolling out the budget. It's another bullet in his preverbial gun.

He will keep his head tucked, working on attack ads and general strategy. The tories have sent out an appeal for more funds from their card carriers.

Mark my words come January, the tories are going to come out swinging.

Yes, you made your opinions clear, I don't question that. But I was asking you what specifically is 'undemocratic' about a coalition government (since you seem to enjoy throwing that word around).

It is undemocratic when there is no reason not have an election. (money is not a valid reason)

It is undemocratic when there is no reason not have an election. (money is not a valid reason)

Forget the qualifications. There is nothing undemocratic about two opposition parties forming a coalition government.

Call it unethical, unforgiving, evil, whatever you want. But please stop calling it undemocratic, because it's not.

we are not NZ pr Aust. We are Canadian not one Canadian voted for this coalition, one no less who is a seperatisit party.

We all have the same general system: It is called the Westminster Parliament style of government, and there is little if any difference with respect to allowing coalitions to form government.

If you don't like it, try calling for a constitutional convention and getting a different form of government...and surely you wouldn't ask for an American style of government...because they, too, can form coalitions in Congress to get a majority (if there are multiple parties, not just 2). I'd like to see just how far you'd get...considering that the Westminster system is a tried and true method of obtaining a government.

And Canadians did vote for their respective parties. If parties decide to band together to form a government, and they have the majority of the vote behind them in the previous election, then there is nothing wrong with it.

But feel free to continue your temper tantrum about it...the patheticness of your argument is really getting hilarious.

Have fun trying to take that message to the voting public. I love it, tory brass has the opposition with its hands caught in the cookie jar. All they have to do is shut down parliament until the budget tabling. All the coalition has done is give tory brass plenty of ammunition in the next barrage of attack ads, press conferences, etc. I can hear them chanting cowards now. The question is can the left wing coalition explain to the Canadian voting public the reason for their intentions? All the tories have to do is table the budget and they are on easy street. Let the mudslinging begin!!!

I'm sure the opposition is so scared, especially with their majority of seats. Harper is committing political suicide if he thinks not allowing the opposition to have a say is going to pass with Canadian voters...the MAJORITY of Canadian voters, no less.

Money is a valid reason. We can't keep spending money just because we want to have our voices heard. There has to be a balance between voting and our financial viabiliy.

Bingo. We can't keep having elections every two months just because some group doesn't like the results when there are other, legal, constitutional means of obtaining a government.

Forget the qualifications. There is nothing undemocratic about two opposition parties forming a coalition government.

Call it unethical, unforgiving, evil, whatever you want. But please stop calling it undemocratic, because it's not.

Another Bingo.

If the crazy Cons on here can show me one place where it is illegal or unconstitutional for the opposition to do that (without twisting the words...I want word-for-word with an attached, reliable, independent source), I will leave this issue alone and say that the opposition should not be doing this.

Just one place, come on, it shouldn't be that hard, should it? You guys are sooooooooo sure it's wrong....

We all have the same general system: It is called the Westminster Parliament style of government, and there is little if any difference with respect to allowing coalitions to form government.

If you don't like it, try calling for a constitutional convention and getting a different form of government...and surely you wouldn't ask for an American style of government...because they, too, can form coalitions in Congress to get a majority (if there are multiple parties, not just 2). I'd like to see just how far you'd get...considering that the Westminster system is a tried and true method of obtaining a government.

And Canadians did vote for their respective parties. If parties decide to band together to form a government, and they have the majority of the vote behind them in the previous election, then there is nothing wrong with it.

But feel free to continue your temper tantrum about it...the patheticness of your argument is really getting hilarious.

I'm sure the opposition is so scared, especially with their majority of seats. Harper is committing political suicide if he thinks not allowing the opposition to have a say is going to pass with Canadian voters...the MAJORITY of Canadian voters, no less.

I'd be scared if my opponent had the funds to wage war like the tories do. Ask Stephane Dion about attack ads. Being painted as undemocratic, uncompromising, sell outs, cowardly, and power hungry won't go over too well with the public. Harper is the face of Tory Brass. Party leaders are a dime a dozen. He has enough ammunition to give the opposition shell shock in the next election. When Harper releases his budget when Obama takes power and lays out his economic plan, the opposition are really going to look bad. Tory Brass is laughing right now.

I'd be scared if my opponent had the funds to wage war like the tories do. Ask Stephane Dion about attack ads. Being painted as undemocratic, uncompromising, sell outs, cowardly, and power hungry won't go over too well with the public. Harper is the face of Tory Brass. Party leaders are a dime a dozen. He has enough ammunition to give the opposition shell shock in the next election. When Harper releases his budget when Obama takes power and lays out his economic plan, the opposition are really going to look bad. Tory Brass is laughing right now.

lol. You're still underestimating the combined force of the other side. Hell, throw the Greens into the coalition for an election and the Cons are going to have a real problem with an unstoppable left.

But keep telling yourself that the Tories have everything in the bag....it will make it more enjoyable when Harper is disposed of. :)