Coalition Government

madmax

Will the Government be brought down  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Read it again put down the partisanship and actually read the transcripts. What they are saying is we don't what a vote we don't need the democratic process, we will take harper out without the mandate from the Canadian public. If he ment their was nothing undemocratic about it that is what he would have said.

This is a parliamentary system and the party with the most seats governs. How do you figure a coalition government is 'undemocratic'?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take your 10 percent out 37/90 then....getting better

Take your 37 percent out and Canada is a better place.

(Ooh, see what I did there? I used the same dumb math you did. Idiot.)

Edit: Oh, and for the record, the NDP got 18-19%, not 10%. Once again, math fail (and now probably reading fail as well).

Edited by NDP4Montreal

This is a parliamentary system and the party with the most seats governs. How do you figure a coalition government is 'undemocratic'?

We are not in a Global war needing the immiedate attention of government, we have time for an election.

A coalition is not a single party with the most seats its two parties deciding which policies from what platform they are going to put forward, they have received no mandate from the citizens of Canada to govern. If they megered temp and went to an election and were voted in so be it, but this removes the ability of the citizens to have their say. Not one person has voted for this. If the current government has no confidence then its time for another election.

We are not in a Global war needing the immiedate attention of government, we have time for an election.

If they megered temp and went to an election and were voted in so be it,

You do realize that's exactly what would happen, right?

If the current government has no confidence then its time for another election.

Take your complaint to the Governor General. However, stop saying it is unfair when Harper attempted the same thing himself and didn't any steps to correct it once in office.

You do realize that's exactly what would happen, right?

If that happened so be it, but you and I both know that the result of such an election is a big unknown. They key is the people would have their say and the new government would have a mandate.

Read it again put down the partisanship and actually read the transcripts. What they are saying is we don't what a vote we don't need the democratic process, we will take harper out without the mandate from the Canadian public. If he ment their was nothing undemocratic about it that is what he would have said.

We just voted in October. We don't need another $300 Million cost to taxpayers when there are other means of changing goverments which are completely legal and constitutional.

For the record, the Canadian people MANDATED someone other than the Conservatives. At least, in normal circles 63% of the vote is considered a mandate.

Its a scary day when your polticians try to subvert democratic process. I urge everyopne here write the Governor General and let her know that we the people of Canada want our vote and our say in the government of this country. This has now moved beyond party lines.

Don't you mean we the 37% of people in Canada? Give me a break. The Conservatives are a minority, period. If the other parties can reach an agreement for a government, then more Canadians will be represented in government than with a Conservative government.

Take your complaint to the Governor General. However, stop saying it is unfair when Harper attempted the same thing himself and didn't any steps to correct it once in office.

I never said unfair, I said I want my democratic right and I have wrote the GG, and I urge everone else who loves their democratic rights in this country to do the same.

We just voted in October. We don't need another $300 Million cost to taxpayers when there are other means of changing goverments which are completely legal and constitutional.

For the record, the Canadian people MANDATED someone other than the Conservatives. At least, in normal circles 63% of the vote is considered a mandate.

Don't you mean we the 37% of people in Canada? Give me a break. The Conservatives are a minority, period. If the other parties can reach an agreement for a government, then more Canadians will be represented in government than with a Conservative government.

what was the vote numbers for the NDP again? The Liberals? The Bloc? Pray do tell. Much more than 63% voted against the NDP. Much more than 63% voted against the Liberals. Much more than 63% voted against the Bloc.

Sorry bub, the tories won the election.

A coalition is not a single party with the most seats its two parties deciding which policies from what platform they are going to put forward, they have received no mandate from the citizens of Canada to govern. If they megered temp and went to an election and were voted in so be it, but this removes the ability of the citizens to have their say. Not one person has voted for this. If the current government has no confidence then its time for another election.

Then I guess the previous government in Australia and the new government in New Zealand who are conservatives shouldn't govern at all because they were/are coalitions.

In a Westminster-style parliamentary government, it is neither illegal nor unconstitutional to form a coalition for government.

If you don't like that, please feel free to lobby for a more American form of government.

I never said unfair, I said I want my democratic right and I have wrote the GG, and I urge everone else who loves their democratic rights in this country to do the same.

We have democratic rights. We just voted for our MPs. We don't directly vote for our prime minister or our government.

So are you going to join the campaign for Prentice or Baird that has started now that Harper is in trouble or are you are a Harper man through and through?

If that happened so be it, but you and I both know that the result of such an election is a big unknown. They key is the people would have their say and the new government would have a mandate.

He's only prolonging.... coalition has a 2 year deal so unless he can get a majority vote he will get ousted anyways. This just looks better the longer he puts the peoples needs ahead of holding power the worse it will get for him.

With a minority. Confidence applies and if the Governor General believes the Opposition can form a government, it is all democratic no matter what the screaming is from Tory quarters.

So are you supporting Baird or Prentice as some of your colleagues are now?

And 74% of Canadians didn't want the liberals, a lager number didn't want the NDP.

I realise we just spent the money on an election, and if need be we will do it again, democracy is expensive, but a back room deal does not give any mandate to a new government, the citizens of Canada have a right to vote, to choose its government. That choice is now in question.

No Canadians will be represented by this coalition because have not had the chance to grant a mandate to this new government.

Don't kid yourselves either, if I had been politically active when harper wrote that letter in 2004 I would have been asking for a vote. The demcratic right is the most precious right we have in this country.

A true demrocratic government is one that is voted into office, not created in back rooms.

We have democratic rights. We just voted for our MPs. We don't directly vote for our prime minister or our government.

So are you going to join the campaign for Prentice or Baird that has started now that Harper is in trouble or are you are a Harper man through and through?

We vote for the MP and the party that forms government, while we don't directly vote for Cabinate and the Prime Minister we do grant that governmant a mandate, and a backroom deals leaves the Canadian voter high and dry.

what was the vote numbers for the NDP again? The Liberals? The Bloc? Pray do tell. Much more than 63% voted against the NDP. Much more than 63% voted against the Liberals. Much more than 63% voted against the Bloc.

Um, no. Sorry 'bub' but it doesn't work that way. It isn't the Liberals, nor the NDP, nor the Bloc governing BY THEMSELVES. The Conservatives are currently governing BY THEMSELVES.

Together, the Libs (26%), NDP (18%), and Bloc (10%) account for 54% (a MAJORITY) of the vote TOGETHER (sorry about the 63% number...I forgot about the Greens...they're easy to forget about). No one party would govern by themselves. That's why they call it....a COALITION

The Conservatives are not in coalition with anyone and only represent 37% of the vote. Period.

You die hard Cons sure seem to have a problem with math and English definitions.

We vote for the MP and the party that forms government, while we don't directly vote for Cabinate and the Prime Minister we do grant that governmant a mandate, and a backroom deals leaves the Canadian voter high and dry.

So if Harper died the day after an election, you would want another election.

Now that we're settled down, if you think you seen brinkmanship from Harper, it's going to get a lot worse. If Harper shut down Parliament until the budget vote expect massive polling, a barage of attack ads, tv appearances, etc. Harper has ammunition, he apparently has time, and has funds to wage war. I think he has to, he has no confidence in the house, and should begin campaigning immediately. His bullying will get worse. He will try and bully the opposition into an election.

Don't be stupid dobbin the mandate for the party would still exist.

The problem here is that the coalition has no mandate.

The Conservatives don't have a mandate. A mandate is not 37% of the voters.

The bullying that Harper and the Cons have done, believing they have a 'mandate' (which has obviously trickled down to blind Con followers) has lead the other side, a majorty of voters and seats in Parliament, to join forces and oust them.

If you're in minority and you anger the majority...no matter how broken up that majority is....expect a backlash.

Don't be stupid dobbin the mandate for the party would still exist.

What mandate? We don't elect parties or leaders directly. We elect MPs.

The problem here is that the coalition has no mandate.

Of course it does. They elected more MPs.

I think what you are saying is that you would rather go to an election immediately after another election if a vote of non-confidence happened. You are so sure that the electorate would be angry at those that brought the government down or the party that inspired no confidence?

What mandate? We don't elect parties or leaders directly. We elect MPs.

Of course it does. They elected more MPs.

I think what you are saying is that you would rather go to an election immediately after another election if a vote of non-confidence happened. You are so sure that the electorate would be angry at those that brought the government down or the party that inspired no confidence?

They have put nothign forward for the public, they have only stated that they do not have confidence in the current government.

The conservatives were lelcted to government based on the election campaign and what was put forward you coalition has not done such a thing the average Canadian has no say in policy we are all go to be left swinging. We need to vote for a new government thatg is what elections are about.

Jack said it all he has no regard for democracy. Neith does anyone participating in this.

If this goes through this will be the first government that I will not to recoginze as a legitimate Canadian government.

The Conservatives don't have a mandate. A mandate is not 37% of the voters.

The bullying that Harper and the Cons have done, believing they have a 'mandate' (which has obviously trickled down to blind Con followers) has lead the other side, a majorty of voters and seats in Parliament, to join forces and oust them.

If you're in minority and you anger the majority...no matter how broken up that majority is....expect a backlash.

Its more of a mandate then any of the other parties receive, if you think that you parties are so right, why not put together a platform and take it to the people? What are you scared of, if the people of this country are on side with you, your coalition will be returned with a majority. The citizens will have had their say and you will have your government. WHAT ARE YOU SCARED OF?

They have put nothign forward for the public, they have only stated that they do not have confidence in the current government.

Actually, they did have election platforms. That was put forward to the public.

As far as no confidence, the Governor General decides whether the Opposition is in a position to govern.

The conservatives were lelcted to government based on the election campaign and what was put forward you coalition has not done such a thing the average Canadian has no say in policy we are all go to be left swinging. We need to vote for a new government thatg is what elections are about.

The average Canadian did have a say. They voted for their MP.

If this goes through this will be the first government that I will not to recoginze as a legitimate Canadian government.

Blame the Governor General then. Blame the system. Bit for pete's sake, if you are saying it is illegitimate, the Supreme Court wouldn't even here your case.

You sound like you are about to take up arms on this. Are you a revolutionary?