Ndp Showing Strength

In what was supposed to be a close race NDP leader Jack Layton has opened up a big lead over Liberal MP Dennis Mills.

This was supposed to be the most closely watched riding on election nite. So much for that Liberal propaganda.

Strategic Communications announced a survey today:

Layton 46.3% Mills 28.8%

-www.bourque.com

Mills has run into difficulty recently concerning Torontos waterfront being accused of playing politics on the issue.

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/Conte...d=1078097705743

The NDP is showing considerable strength particularly in urban areas.

Norm Ruff, political scientist, expects NDP increases in BC.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little more:

This election is about the new party system. I do not mean a return to the old PC VS Lib with little brother NDP tagging along. This is a radical change.

The Liberals are the only party who holds seats in the Territories, or PEI.

other then that, the tories have seats in every province. Minus only two, Newfoundland and Alberta, from what the tories have, and the NDP is next. We are now a national party. We are at 10% in the polls. How well we do will depend on how many Liberals switch to the NDP, more then that, how much of Toronto votes NDP. This riding is key. Honestly, if Layton cannot win his own seat, the party will likely not top 20 seats. If he wins by a margin like this, we could easily top 60 seats. Canadians from coast to coast are watching this riding... I dont know if we've ever had this concentratnion in history?

If Stronach wins the CP leadership, exect a ful-out ND offensive to paint both the CP's and Liberals as special-interest parties beholden to the rich and popwerful. I can see the ads now: "He's a coal baron who inheretited his millions from his father. She's the former CEO of her father's million dollar company. Which of these millionaires is better equipped to understand the average Canadian? The answer is neither."

Layton 46.3% Mills 28.8% = Tory in 3rd.

Before taking into account the 4 or 5% that 3rd parties will win, the Tories only have 24.9% of voters left.

That actually wouldn't be a bad CPC showing in that particular riding.

I'm a New Democrat, but I'm at the point where just about anything that weakens the Liberals is encouraging, although I feel the CPC is nothing more than a Canadian asspiece for the GOP.

Broadview-Greenwood is tony, gentrified Layton territory. If Layton went Tony "Third Way/New Wave", he'd be a shoe-in (shoe in?) and B-G would be Islington in a World Class Toronto!

Well, sorry to break this to you: The NDP ain't Labour, Jack ain't Tony and the worst thing to do when discussing politics is to let wishful thinking replace basic facts. (It's probably true that Bill and Hillary thought McGovern was a shoein even with Eagleton - they learned though.)

Layton has a very good chance of winning in B-G; it will add to the 20 odd seats the NDP might get nation-wide.

Broadview-Greenwood is tony, gentrified Layton territory. If Layton went Tony "Third Way/New Wave", he'd be a shoe-in (shoe in?) and B-G would be Islington in a World Class Toronto!

Well, sorry to break this to you: The NDP ain't Labour, Jack ain't Tony and the worst thing to do when discussing politics is to let wishful thinking replace basic facts. (It's probably true that Bill and Hillary thought McGovern was a shoein even with Eagleton - they learned though.)

Layton has a very good chance of winning in B-G; it will add to the 20 odd seats the NDP might get nation-wide.

Interesting place that Toronto.

In Canada the NDP is known for making inroads into our poorest provinces...the Maritimes.

Out here in Vancouver the only shoo-in ( !!!) for an NDP candidate is in the down & out areas of DaVinci's Inquest fame...the lower East side ridings.

But in Toronto the NDP areas are "tony" & "gentrified".

Go figure.

In Canada the NDP is known for making inroads into our poorest provinces...the Maritimes.

Out here in Vancouver the only shoo-in ( !!!) for an NDP candidate is in the down & out areas of DaVinci's Inquest fame...the lower East side ridings.

Go figure.

- RUDYARD THE INSANE ... You are, as always, misinformed.

- The NDP has historically been strongest in Saskatchewan, Ontario and your province BC, to the point of electing several federal MPs in these provinces in most elections and even forming the provincial governments there on occasion. The NDP has been weakest in Alberta, Quebec and Atlantic Canada (only the ignorant now call it The Maritmes). So it has taken the NDP many decades to even elect MPs in Atlantic Canada with the exception of a couple of long standing seats in Cape Breton. Therefore, the NDP is NOT known for making inroads in Atlantic Canada. Do you get your political information from talking to yourself or from contemplating the bottom of a beer bottle?

- As to Toronto and the GTA in general, the NDP is strongest not in the so-called gentrified or tony or affluent areas but in the poorest areas. Even the seat Layton is seeking includes mainly below average incomes, housing, and retail trade plus above average unemployment and immigrant densities.

Do you work at being such a jackass or does it come naturally?

Go figure.

- RUDYARD THE INSANE ... You are, as always, misinformed.

- The NDP has historically been strongest in Saskatchewan, Ontario and your province BC, to the point of electing several federal MPs in these provinces in most elections and even forming the provincial governments there on occasion. The NDP has been weakest in Alberta, Quebec and Atlantic Canada (only the ignorant now call it The Maritmes). So it has taken the NDP many decades to even elect MPs in Atlantic Canada with the exception of a couple of long standing seats in Cape Breton. Therefore, the NDP is NOT known for making inroads in Atlantic Canada. Do you get your political information from talking to yourself or from contemplating the bottom of a beer bottle?

- As to Toronto and the GTA in general, the NDP is strongest not in the so-called gentrified or tony or affluent areas but in the poorest areas. Even the seat Layton is seeking includes mainly below average incomes, housing, and retail trade plus above average unemployment and immigrant densities.

Do you work at being such a jackass or does it come naturally?

Hmm...apologies to the people previously known as Maritimers. I thought it was rather a polite term for the area...as opposed to what everyone actually calls it...the armpit of Canada.

Talk to the poster above who says that the NDP is making inroads in "tony" & "gentrified" areas in the GTA. Sounds suspicious to me too, in case you didn't catch my drift.

PS: Those "few seats" in Cape Breton & Alexa etc...tend to be a rather high proportion in relation to the number of seats the ATLANTIC CANADIANS hold.

PPS: In Sydney are a significant number of people now called "ATLANTIC AFRICAN CANADIANS" or "AFRICAN ATLANTIC CANADIANS"? Don't want to appear ignorant.

PPPS: I'm working very hard on my jackass status. I'm glad to receive your appreciation for my efforts.

It is not a good idea for parties to have the same name provincialy and federally.

Look at the Liberals right now in BC and Quebec.

Both provincial parties being unpopular are draging down the federal Liberals.

But the federal Liberals have designed a way to counter that in the upcoming election.

You will see a lot of Paul Martin but not much of the Liberal party on most of the Liberal campaign literature advertising.

There is an article by Jane Taber in today's Globe to that effect.

Don't forget March 7 is the deadline for the Liberals to announce the by-election in Ottawa Centre.

Do you think Liberals want Ed Broadbent MP in the House of Commons going into the next election. I don't think so. And if Layton is leading Mills by 46% to 28% in Toronto Danforth, as reported yesterday, you can bet Broadbent has an even bigger lead over Mahoney in Ottawa Centre.

The federal election is going ahead for May 10 and the Ottawa Centre by-election will be rolled over into the general election.

The NDP will be making big gains in BC among other places, and are looking at possibly 50 seats in the next election.

The max. no of seats the NDP has ever held is 43 or 44 under Ed Broadbent's leadership ;)

There is an article by Jane Taber in today's Globe to that effect.

Thanks for the reference. The article is good. It lays out the Liberal strategy and makes it plain they're going for a Spring election. I may be wrong but 1) I'm not certain that Martin will be as popular as they believe (he's too frenetic, even ditzy, for a PM) and 2) they are really pushing it when they pretend it's a "new" team. Sorry, I think it's the same clowns in the same circus. It's almost insulting to pretend otherwise.

Writ to be dropped on April 4 :)

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines. The latest buzz from Ottawa is that the writ will be dropped, for Canada's 38th election, on April 4.

This time it would be much healthier for Canada/Canadians to have a minority government. And then we could see.

It would be a very wrong message sent to the Liberals, if they were re-elected with their fourth majority government in a row, with such a major scandal going on.

Nader who has previously gotten involved in an election campaign in Canada is showing 6% support in the polls in the US presidential race.

I wonder if he would consider coming up to Canada again and put in a plug for the NDP in the coming federal election campaign?

The last time Nader got involved in Canada if I recollect he got involved in a BC election on behalf of the nurses in BC over health care issues.

BTW saw an interview with some journalists today on CBC and Paul Sullivan stated that Layton's NDP is expecting 17-18 seats in BC this time around.

Just saw Layton give a press conference in Ottawa about croynism, ethics, and corporate lobbying. Quite an effective communicator he is.

Some political pundits are beginning to wonder if the NDP will come in second.

I think aside from NDP leader Layton, some of their reasoning is that once the Cons leader is chosen, a lot of folks, from losing side, will leave.

I'm going to change the name of this thread to either "LPC - NDP - CPC Showing Strength" or else "Federal Election 2004". The current name is too biased.

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines. The latest buzz from Ottawa is that the writ will be dropped, for Canada's 38th election, on April 4.

If the GG's writ is dropped 4 April, what election date do we have? And what about the Broadbent byelection? (I think the rule is that byelections can be called but then get cancelled if a writ is dropped. What's the latest date for the byelection?)

ROTFPIMPALMFAO .....
What the...?
The last time Nader got involved in Canada if I recollect he got involved in a BC election on behalf of the nurses in BC over health care issues.

When we have an election at the same time as the Americans, does this favour the Libs or Tories? 68, 84.

More pointedly (and thinking of Layton), Chretien - the Trudeau wannabe - managed well one piece of his mentor's advice. 'Canadians don't like a leader who kowtows to the Americans'. I suspect Nader would only hurt any party he tried to help, and I think a concurrent US election involving Bush will favour Layton over Martin, and let's say - hmmm - Harper.

Overall, I agree MapleSyrup. These are interesting times and this one will be more interesting than the last several. Geez, maybe as good as 1979.

Last Point: In Lapresse today, nothing about 'Le Scandale' except a column by Pierre Foglia. Know him? If not, he's the more intelligent, more sophisticated, less clueless Toronto Star 'Stringer' of Quebec (what a comparison - sorry, the best I can do.) The column is absolutely damning - in a smart, simple way - of Martin and federal Liberals.

Pierre Foglia....thanks.

Ill have to read some of his stuff.

Slinger is entertaining.

Major Policy Shift for Laytons NDP: Looking at Second Place

The NDP, trying to shed its spendthrift image, will go to the electorate with a promise to keep the country's ledgers balanced while helping households improve their own bottom line. New consumer protections are the key, Layton told The Canadian Press. Both concepts won the national party's seal of approval last weekend and will be rolled out in a federal election widely expected this spring.

http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...04/CPN/10809017

Who would vote for the NDP, the NDP will never garner the support of middle class working families, because alot of these people have kids, and lets remind ourselves of what Svend Robinson stands for,

"its not molestation, is sexual liberation"

I dont think many Canadian's will want to vote for the NDP, especially when they support a culture of death, the NDP supports drug use[aka safe injection sites], abortion on demand, planned parenthood, and euthinasia, and infantacide.

The NDP is the party of the nut job, the pedophile, the communist, the extremists, and terrorists. That about tops it.

Who would vote for the NDP, the NDP will never garner the support of middle class working families, because alot of these people have kids, and lets remind ourselves of what Svend Robinson stands for.

Yeah, right. Fanatic Alliance (AF) , or the Alliance Française (AF), please be honest. Are you French?

In general, the Canadians I know are open-minded people. They vote Tory, NDP and Liberal. (True... many vote Liberal. Your comment about voting NDP is silly. But true, Canadians are generally happy. Are they gay?)

There is a riding in BC, apart from Svends which will be a catwalk for him this time, which is Keith Martin's riding of Esquilmalt -Juan de Fuca. Is he gay BTW?

It is going to be a battle royal between the Cons and ther Libs there. I wonder if the NDP will squek up the middle and take it.

Maybe the NDP could get a lesbian to run there. ;)