The Olympics

HisSelf

OK. The Olympics is on. I watched the entire opening ceremonies. Great coverage by the CBC, although I have to say that Mansbridge really went overboard with the political angle. There were times when a country's Olympic team was marching past but you couldn't figure out who they were because Mansbridge was going on about the political cloud around the country two teams before. I think Mansbridge had some good things to say, but maybe the CBC could have found a way to let us know what we are looking at while he gave us his angle. Also thought Ron McLean should have been brought out more. After all, it's a sporting event and McLean is a damned good sports reporter. Not sayin' that Mansbridge's comments were out of line. This sort of thing needs to be said. Just sayin' it needs to be balanced more.

Also the ads. Bell got a lot of ads in. First of all, I'm glad to see the Beavers are gone. I hated the beavers. Using nationalistic symbols to sell products is really disgusting. Just my opinion. I liked the Visa ads. Featuring the athletes. That's what it's all about. Petro Canada too. McDonalds. I can't believe how low these idiots will go to sell junk food to kids. They had two ads. One set up a little boy as an object of ridicule and the second pounded him on the head even more. Making a buck by ridiculing a kid. What losers. The Canadian Olympic committee ads. Real classy. Showed a bunch of kids face on. "I am not a loser. I am not easy. I am not a geek.... I am an athlete." Wow. Real good stuff. Absolutely in the spirit. Best ads I saw, I thought.

The ceremony itself. The Chinese did a great job here. The fireworks footprints were a stroke of genius. The choreography was Olympics class. The highlighting of Chinese contributions to the advancement of civilization. One of the world's greatest cultures strutting its stuff. Damned straight. The lighting of the torch was good, but I'll tell you, that flaming arrow at the Barcelona Olympics still gets the gold. You gotta hand it to the Spanish. That took real balls.

What really choked me up was the (well rehearsed) Chinese cheering section came to life when our team marched out. I had to wipe a tear. One of ours was there for The Long March. They remember that. It's nice to know who your friends are. This is real. This is earnest.

Edited by HisSelf

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A second comment that should be made is that George (aWol) Bush was only on screen when his country's team was introduced.

Way to go George. You're right up there with ...

Jeez I forget who they are.

George. You have a ranch. You have cows. Go for it. You screwed your country. OK. You had help. Dick Geney and Paul Wolfowitz. Two of the most respected people who have ever eaten a hot dog. We know it wasn't your fault. We really do.

Snort.

Edited by HisSelf

A second comment that should be made is that George (aWol) Bush was only on screen when his country's team was introduced.

Way to go George. You're right up there with ...

Jeez I forget who they are.

George. You have a ranch. You have cows. Go for it. You screwed your country. OK. You had help. Dick Geney and Paul Wolfowitz. Two of the most respected people who have ever eaten a hot dog. We know it wasn't your fault. We really do.

Snort.

Wrong thread. That has nothing to do with media and broadcasting. You want the mindless bush bashing thread.

Wrong thread. That has nothing to do with media and broadcasting. You want the mindless bush bashing thread.

Ah, Dancer, its so easy to bash Bush! BUT he was on TV, which does have to do with broadcasting. GW has to have something to fill up his presidental library which will be on the TV when he opens it and again it willbe broadcasted to the public.

Ah, Dancer, its so easy to bash Bush! BUT he was on TV, which does have to do with broadcasting. GW has to have something to fill up his presidental library which will be on the TV when he opens it and again it willbe broadcasted to the public.

I have not watch any off it - but for those who have high def TV - great - the artifical image masks the filth of the polution generated by the greedy west via the slaves in China - I suppose all is well in the world because the image from China can be enhance electronically to turn a grey poison sky to blue - welcome to the brave new world of moral neutrality - frankly guys I would not even peak at this farce and orgainzed condoned attack on humanity under the guise of sport and human achievement - what achievement? Tell the guy in the dungeon being beaten about the head with a pipe for Jay walking - tell him about the glory that is the Olypics....you folks are coo coo.

Snort.

Hmmm.... first a rant about Mansbridge's political angle, and then we get the usual Bush Derangement Syndrome.....a gold medal performance!

Actually, the modern olympics coincide with US Presidential election cycles. Think of it as the gold medal in politics.....but there is no silver or bronze.

So far there's 40 people been caught doping and one person I was talking with today said maybe they should allow ALL drugs and then it would be a even field and then see who is the best!!!! Perhaps they should give stiffer fines and not allow the COUNTRY of the cheaters back in for five years.

I have not watch any off it - but for those who have high def TV - great - the artifical image masks the filth of the polution generated by the greedy west via the slaves in China - I suppose all is well in the world because the image from China can be enhance electronically to turn a grey poison sky to blue - welcome to the brave new world of moral neutrality - frankly guys I would not even peak at this farce and orgainzed condoned attack on humanity under the guise of sport and human achievement - what achievement? Tell the guy in the dungeon being beaten about the head with a pipe for Jay walking - tell him about the glory that is the Olypics....you folks are coo coo.

Open up the computer your are writing on...Made in China...dead end.

George Bush killed hundreds of thousands with a lie.

The latest Bush outrage was his attendance at a Christian religious ceremeny in Beijing today (Sunday) and CNN showing him fterwards talkig about religious freedom.

OK boy-o. Relgious freedom is not going to church. Religous freedom is nobody giving a flying fricasee whether you go to church or not.

You are now free to behave like somebody out of the 12th century.

I'd like to propse a new CBC show: The Worst Moat Builder in Canada.

Everybody gets together to build a moat and the prize for first is awarded by one of the Bush daughters, Paris Hilton, or Ben Mulroney.

I say we have a contest to determine which of them should hand out the prize. The contest winner will be the one who knows the most about the history of Iran.

One.... two.... three...

Edited by HisSelf

Fireworks faked for opening ceremony.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26139005/

Fireworks over the Olympics pyrotechnics erupted yesterday when it was learned that the elaborate display broadcast to the world as part of the opening ceremony was faked, done digitally in 3-D computer graphics.

The Beijing Times, which first reported the story, said members of the Beijing Olympic Committee defended the ruse because of the city’s hazy, smoggy skies, which made such an elaborate fireworks display at night too difficult to pull off successfully.

Kind of amusing when you think about it.

George Bush killed hundreds of thousands with a lie.

The latest Bush outrage was his attendance at a Christian religious ceremeny in Beijing today (Sunday) and CNN showing him fterwards talkig about religious freedom.

OK boy-o. Relgious freedom is not going to church. Religous freedom is nobody giving a flying fricasee whether you go to church or not.

You are now free to behave like somebody out of the 12th century.

I'd like to propse a new CBC show: The Worst Moat Builder in Canada.

Everybody gets together to build a moat and the prize for first is awarded by one of the Bush daughters, Paris Hilton, or Ben Mulroney.

I say we have a contest to determine which of them should hand out the prize. The contest winner will be the one who knows the most about the history of Iran.

One.... two.... three...

Typical mindless drivel that has nothing much to do with anything much. Basically what I've come to expect from this particular source.

Kind of amusing when you think about it.

I suppose so. Its not really surprising though, given that China seems to have an endless string of lies on offer when anyone scrutinizes what they do and how they do it.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Typical mindless drivel that has nothing much to do with anything much. Basically what I've come to expect from this particular source.

I suppose so. Its not really surprising though, given that China seems to have an endless string of lies on offer when anyone scrutinizes what they do and how they do it.

Smog = greed - and who taught them that huh?

My opinion too. Greg gives us all these thread categories and immediately we get it wrong.

Anyway.

-----

I hate the Olympics. Let me make this point more clear: I HATE THE OLYMPICS. Winter, summer, opening, closing ceremonies, the stupid songs, the uniforms, the TV reports, the magazine covers, the instant celebrities. I hate all the China stuff, Greek stuff, or whatever tie-in stuff of the host country. I hate medal counts and I hate people asking me if I saw the 400m butterfly final last night. When I want to get angry, I drive by Montreal's Olympic Stadium/monument to cement.

In particular, I hate the idea that numbskulls can cadge money from me to pursue a ridiculous personal desire. IME, sports people are generally incoherent because they skip school to run around in circles. (People in the Winter Olympics are even more ignorant than those in the Summer Olympics since they miss more school.) By what logic do we give taxpayer money to someone to run around in circles as fast as possible?

I also really hate the flag thing. If we must have the Olympics, I'd like to see one where the athletes are identified by continent - not country. How many Golds has Europe won? How about North America? South America? (If Canadians were "North Americans", we'd avoid this whole Quebec/Canada thing.)

Markets truly are a trickle down institution. Sports events are not. If we want to encourage ordinary people to be more active, we don't achieve this by giving taxpayer money to a few elitist athletes chasing after a personal best. Helping someone buy a Lamborghini doesn't help the neighbours buy a Kia.

IMV, the Olympics are every thing wrong with government. When it is too easy to spend other people's money, not much good results. In the case of the Olympics, it just leads to two weeks of very public stupidity.

Edited by August1991

...IMV, the Olympics are every thing wrong with government. When it is too easy to spend other people's money, not much good results. In the case of the Olympics, it just leads to two weeks of very public stupidity.

Easy Dude...just because the 1976 games in Montreal lost money and continued the death spiral of the Olympics is no cause for concern. What are they using Olympic Stadium for these days?

NBC had a nice piece on how China rescued the Olympics from certain death by commie boycott in 1984.

Easy Dude...just because the 1976 games in Montreal lost money and continued the death spiral of the Olympics is no cause for concern.
Easy dude? Montreal Olympics? When chasing her tail, my dog can run around in circles very fast.

And I didn't even get into the whole drug thing (which I frankly think is irrelevant). Athletes take drugs, get surgical enhancements.

So what?

Edited by August1991

Me on the other hand love the Games, i think of this event as 2 weeks out of every 4 years where nations put down thier arms and in the sprite of compition and compete instead of kill each other......ok with the exception of the 76 games....That and it gives me a chance to watch 2 weeks of sports....the field hockey is a little hard to watch, on grass, and those sticks "come on", .....should be floor hockey with an orange ball, on a wooden floor...

I love the Olympics because the represent the very best in human achievement (regarding physical achievement). Also someone made the comment that Athletes are dumb. Its a proven fact that students who do extra curiccular activities (sports, music) Score much better than students who dont. IE sports are a great thing especially for young people. I still actively play Baseball, volleyball, shooting, Basketball (mostly pick up games in BB), and snowboarding. Not to mention canoeing and boating (far less then the others) Sports also is a very healthy social tool. Not to mention I served in the Military in the US, so seeing them dominate the games (most olympics) is satisfying to me to know that US dominance extends into other then politics and war.

I love the Olympics because the represent the very best in human achievement (regarding physical achievement).
First, do you really believe that? Like Pamela Anderson, the Olympics represent "the best in physical achievement"?

Second, why are governments/nations involved in these achievements? If Pamela Anderson happens to be Canadian, or some Canadian athlete wins a gold medal, how does that benefit me? Is Canada a better country? Beethoven, Tchaikovski and the stars of the universe belong to all of us - they're not Canadian.

Third, should I subsidize Pamela Anderson in her pursuit of "human physical achievement"? IOW, I would far prefer cutting the income taxes of the woman who scanned my groceries today at Provigo rather than giving a subsidy to some athlete to go to Beijing. Make no mistake. The Canadian government taxes many ordinary people and gives the money to a select few very competitive young people.

If you have a dream, pay for it yourself.

Me on the other hand love the Games, i think of this event as 2 weeks out of every 4 years where nations put down thier arms and in the sprite of compition and compete instead of kill each other......
WTF? Do you know where the OIC held the 1936 Olympics?

The modern Olympics started in 1904 and the 20th century was horrific. I'm in favour of disbanding the Olympic Games for the simple reason that history shows that the world was more civilized without them.

Edited by August1991

WTF? Do you know where the OIC held the 1936 Olympics?

Yes Berlin, germany, but they won thier olympic bid in 1931, a full year before the Nazi party even came to power....do you think the OIC would have granted Berlin the games had they known what was to come some 5 years later....

The modern Olympics started in 1904 and the 20th century was horrific. I'm in favour of disbanding the Olympic Games for the simple reason that history shows that the world was more civilized without them.

Actually 1896 was the first modern olympic'smodern olympics

And although the olympics does have a history going back some 1500 years i'm sure there would be more than one century that could be classified as horrific....one could hardly blame the olympics for the century being as horrific as it was than you could blame say christmas....

First, do you really believe that? Like Pamela Anderson, the Olympics represent "the best in physical achievement"?

Second, why are governments/nations involved in these achievements? If Pamela Anderson happens to be Canadian, or some Canadian athlete wins a gold medal, how does that benefit me? Is Canada a better country? Beethoven, Tchaikovski and the stars of the universe belong to all of us - they're not Canadian.

Third, should I subsidize Pamela Anderson in her pursuit of "human physical achievement"? IOW, I would far prefer cutting the income taxes of the woman who scanned my groceries today at Provigo rather than giving a subsidy to some athlete to go to Beijing. Make no mistake. The Canadian government taxes many ordinary people and gives the money to a select few very competitive young people.

If you have a dream, pay for it yourself.

So its your assesment that because we reward are athletes for being the fastest swimmer, fastest runner, etc. That we are catering to the elite? I wonder what the average income for Olympic athletes is? How much annual income do they give up? The choose to do something that few of us ever get the opportunity to. Be the best at something. If the US government wants to reward them for there efforts. I can think of far worse things for my tax dollars to go towards.