Off-Topic Forums Suggestions

Greg

• Forum Admin

After much debate and thought, I've decided to allow a section of the forums for limited off-topic discussions. This will be a section where you can discuss topics that might not fit into the political topics that already exist.

However, this will not be a free-for-all. The rules and guidelines will still apply and there will be limits to what will be allowed.

I would like to start off with a few topics, and add more as time progresses. However, Charles and I will monitor the quality of the discussions and after a few months we'll decide if it is worth continuing.

So, if you're interested in contributing to an off-topic section of these forums, please suggest some interesting topic areas in this thread.

Definately absolutely, glad you asked

1) Culture (radio, TV, newspapers, fiction, magazines, visual arts, food....)

2) Montreal Canadiens (because, really, who cares about that other team)

3) Disc Golf (Because talking business has never once got in the way of a good foursome)

definitely a sports section. you could break it down by sport. makes it nice when a major sporting event comes up. will probably help to lighten the mood around here.

The Habs and frisbee. Pretty much covers all the major sports.

People in Ottawa want to talk about that other team......all the time it seems.

There are very few people in Ottawa.

Hey, here's a thread for burying apologies that you don't want seen....call it

Ottawa Nightlife

These are all great ideas - keep them coming...

Even the disc golf?

I would like to debate the merits of super slipery innova disc versus the others.....and the inherint superioty of the Toronto Island course....or is that too political?

Hey Guyser, you too old to fling the disc?

Honestly, I am not sure that an Off-Topic Section really needs subsections. If you are going to have it, why artificially limit it in that fashion? It is not as if " Everything Else " fits into as nice, discreet categories as we can pretend Politics does.

But I certainly support the idea in general. I remember thinking that this would have been nice idea back when I was here last year.

But if you had to, maybe something like Culture & Education; Media, Entertainment & Technology; and Business (I hesitate to say " & Economics " because I fail to see how Economics are not appropriate for the main forums.). There are probably a dozen or more holes in that list though, which is the reason for my previous point.

3) Disc Golf (Because talking business has never once got in the way of a good foursome)
BD gets me on "Saskatchewan weather vane" and now Morris does it with "Disc Golf".

Disc Golf?

----

Greg, I have always liked the idea of a "Media/Culture" category. I can also see the point in having a separate "Sports" category (although any of my postings there will just show my abysmal knowledge).

But please don't get the forum all cluttered up with endless categories.

• Forum Admin
Greg, I have always liked the idea of a "Media/Culture" category. I can also see the point in having a separate "Sports" category (although any of my postings there will just show my abysmal knowledge).

Agreed - a Media/Culture category is top on my list of potential categories. Sports seems like a natural too.

But please don't get the forum all cluttered up with endless categories.

Don't worry, we won't clutter the place up.

The secret is to find a balance - some organization is needed, otherwise it'll be anarchy.

I guess if there are gaps that in the overall forum, it would have to be in cultural affairs. This could cover anything from sports to television.

At present, we have a Canadian Politics section subdivided into Federal, Provincial and Local sections. No change is needed there. It covers all aspects although the local section remains underused.

Then, we have the International section which is subdivided into United States Politics, Canada/U.S. relations and the Rest of the World. All these sections are well used and good categories.

Lastly, we have the new section which is Moral, Religious and Political Philosophy. It is subdivided into Moral & Ethical Issues, Religion & Politics and Political Philosophy.

The first category has been a success. The second two are a work in progress.

I would suggest that that the Political Philosophy section to be expanded into a Political and Economic Philosophy section. The reason for my thinking here is that there have been broad discussions on things like taxation and economic theories that fit into no other category but often get lumped in federal politics.

For your topic area, perhaps it could be called Cultural Affairs and include Arts, Entertainment and Sports.

The reason for my thinking here is that there have been broad discussions on things like taxation and economic theories that fit into no other category but often get lumped in federal politics.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too...but after reading other peoples suggestions, I think a forum combining "business and economic issues" would probably get more usage than economics alone.

Fling it? Hell I just have to bend over and the disc flings itself. Then the meds.

Ba da dum...try the veal.

Nah, not too old, but where is the time? I am gone every Thurs eve to Monday night.

Being a hard working type, I try to aim for monday mornings. Usually bring a few tall boys of Grolsch and a sandwich. 18 takes about 3 hours with a foursome....

hmm....tall boys of Grolsch? ....a monday morn (when I normally return from up north) ...getting closer.

On Ward's Island...Afterwards we can air the scent of marijuana off ourselves, don our shirts and jackets and walk over to the Roman Catholic Yacht Club for martinis....

You wouldn't know anyone who is a member and is currently in Asia, would you?

CAVEAT. You have to go to Canadian Tire and buy some golf discs ! putter 1 driver and one mid range.

Edited by M.Dancer