Khadr should make us ashamed to be Canadian

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

August 14, 2009

Guess Harper's SOL.. Unless he wants to embarrass Canada further by taking this to the Supreme Court, the twit.

I don't know.

In the U.S., when faced by a ridiculous Supreme Court order, President Jackson said "the Court has made it's order, now let it go out and enforce it" or words to that effect.

It was a long time before the Court meddled in areas for which it was ill-suited again.

I'm ashamed that Canada isn't doing the right thing.

What you can't seem to wrap your mind around is that very few Canadians believe Khadr is one of ours. He doesn't look like one of us, doesn't think like one of us, doesn't act like one of us, and has spent virtually no time in this country. It's true that, legally speaking, anyone born in Canada is considered a Canadian. And there's no question that legally, he is a Canadian. But you aren't going to get most Canadians upset or feeling guilty about legalistic arguments that don't, to them, affect actual Canadians.

It's funny, but if I get into what makes one a Canadian, the people who support Khadr will simply and instantly resort to legal statements. He's Canadian because of the law. End of story. But then you wonder why Canadians aren't getting emotional and outraged. Do you see the contradiction?

I don't give a shit what happens to Khadr. As far as I'm concerned I could take a plane to Nairobi or Baijing or Rio, grab the hand of the first individual I find on the street corner, and he would be every bit as "Canadian" as Omar Khadr. To me, someone requires more than just a piece of paper to be one of mine. And clearly, the majority of Canadians feel the same way.

It's funny, but if I get into what makes one a Canadian, the people who support Khadr will simply and instantly resort to legal statements. He's Canadian because of the law. End of story. But then you wonder why Canadians aren't getting emotional and outraged. Do you see the contradiction?

I have argued for the return of Khadr on the basis that children terrorists are so special that they have to be observed from very close. The contradiction that is shameful, on the part of Canada and Canadians, is that they want to be both terrorized and terrorizing.

I have argued for the return of Khadr on the basis that children terrorists are so special that they have to be observed from very close. The contradiction that is shameful, on the part of Canada and Canadians, is that they want to be both terrorized and terrorizing.

Lol...........your right Benny they should be observed alright!! through the crosshairs of a scoped 30.06 rifle of a military sniper!!

What you can't seem to wrap your mind around is that very few Canadians believe Khadr is one of ours. He doesn't look like one of us, doesn't think like one of us, doesn't act like one of us, and has spent virtually no time in this country. It's true that, legally speaking, anyone born in Canada is considered a Canadian. And there's no question that legally, he is a Canadian. But you aren't going to get most Canadians upset or feeling guilty about legalistic arguments that don't, to them, affect actual Canadians.

I don't give a shit what happens to Khadr. As far as I'm concerned I could take a plane to Nairobi or Baijing or Rio, grab the hand of the first individual I find on the street corner, and he would be every bit as "Canadian" as Omar Khadr. To me, someone requires more than just a piece of paper to be one of mine. And clearly, the majority of Canadians feel the same way.

Argus well said....

Edited by Army Guy

He doesn't look like one of us,

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

And clearly, the majority of Canadians feel the same way.

If you are saying that Canadians are apathetic, then I am afraid you are arguing for nothing. Voter apathy is such a pervasive problem that it can hardly be used for justification in any argument.

It's true that, legally speaking, anyone born in Canada is considered a Canadian. And there's no question that legally, he is a Canadian. ...

It's funny, but if I get into what makes one a Canadian, the people who support Khadr will simply and instantly

resort to legal statements. He's Canadian because of the law. End of story.

Absolutly. He's Canadian 'cause he was born here. Outside of that and gaining citizenship through proper immigration methods, there is not another legal or non-legal means of being a Canadian.

That is ample reason for the government to offer its meagre help to any Canadian Citizen in foreign lands.

I don't give a shit what happens to Khadr. As far as I'm concerned I could take a plane to Nairobi or Baijing or

Rio, grab the hand of the first individual I find on the street corner, and he would be every bit as "Canadian" as

Omar Khadr. To me, someone requires more than just a piece of paper to be one of mine. And clearly, the majority of Canadians feel the same way.

And also clearly, as a Canadian, I am not one of yours and certainly vice versa. It matters not that I am not one

of yours or you mine or Khadr to neither or both. The Canadian government should take certain minimul steps

for its citizens without conducting popularity polls or variations of such.

So who gives a goddam that you don't like the man or that his sister loves him dearly.

Its all neither here nor there...and rightly so

The only thing that makes me ashamed of being a Canadain is not so much the Khadar - but big buisness -- that sends out people like Harper - to assist in doing the bidding of American big buisness - The Khadr issue has always been about big buisness dominating the potlitical landscape of the world - and the economic vested interests of a few big rollers. Take Iraq and it's little brother project - Afghanistan - it all started with big buisness hoods in the west conflicting with big buisness tribal gangs in the east - on who has the bigger balls...and we get caught up in the middle of this silly contest...to hell with Khadr - follow the money - the contracts and those fleeting weapons of mass destruction that the west sells on mass........ I have had enough of the using of what was a boy to mask the power projections of some elite that don't give a damn about "terrorist" or us. Those of you who want to go after the boy feel free - but as you are blinded in your rage - some guy somewhere that is "on your side" is buggering you.

Absolutly. He's Canadian 'cause he was born here. Outside of that and gaining citizenship through proper immigration methods, there is not another legal or non-legal means of being a Canadian.

That is ample reason for the government to offer its meagre help to any Canadian Citizen in foreign lands.

Being Canadians for most of us was a matter of pure luck. Tell me something solid that can be built on luck!?

It's a choice - and most of the immigrants came here because originally it was a British nation - a Christian nation - a civlized nation - why would they not come? Immigration is done with intent..it's not luck or a gamle. My parents immigrated to Britain --then to Canada ...why? Because in those days the Brits were the most civized people on earth - tough and cold and imperial - but there was order - some people love order....I do.