Khadr should make us ashamed to be Canadian

Oleg, what business does the Khadr family have in fighting in Afghanistan?

Omar's Dad is Egyptian born. His Mom is Palestine born. He is Canadian born and raised in Pakistan since 1985 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khadr_family).... so what business do they have fighting in Afghanistan except to support their terrorist brothers in Al Qaeda.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's still justice in the world, Bush and his whole administration will find it difficult to travel, constantly on the lookout for another country trying to try them in the International Criminal Court for what they did.

Except Canada, of course. We idolize America too much and Bush and Cheney will always be welcome, regardless of what they've done or whatever international agreements Canada's signed in the past. <_<

shame

• 2 months later...
If there's still justice in the world, Bush and his whole administration will find it difficult to travel, constantly on the lookout for another country trying to try them in the International Criminal Court for what they did.

What did "they" do?

Except Canada, of course. We idolize America too much and Bush and Cheney will always be welcome, regardless of what they've done or whatever international agreements Canada's signed in the past. <_<

shame

Ex - President Bush has already visited Canada.....no evidence of shame anywhere.

Regarding why Canadians should be ashamed of how our successive governments, Liberal and Conservative, have treated Mr. Khadr: the not-so-honourable Stephen Harper and his predecessors on the Liberal Side of today's Canadian Political Spectrum have allowed the sort of moral corruptions and abuses of human rights that W and Jabba the Hut allowed and encouraged during their watch. If you need to hear more, try reading a newspaper.

Ex - President Bush has already visited Canada.....no evidence of shame anywhere.

I'm not going to entertain that with much of a response either, kid. It takes away from the profoundity of today's news. I will say that you should check out the crowds of boos that this country has greeted W with every time he stank up our country with his presence.

Oh, and you should read the details of today's decision and how Khadr's situation is in direct contradiction of previous Canadian legislation.

I'm more interested to hear Ignatieff's opinion.

I'm also eager to hear what Iggy thinks. He once almost tried to condone torture (since recanted).

Edited by Radsickle

Alberta is America's business partner....not just Texas.

yuuuuuu betcha! :lol:

And I'm just teasing ... not serious ...

Truly, it was rather poignant.

Bush seemed pleased to visit Calgary, in fact pleased to get any invitation, and Canada's always a good 'reference', in reputation anyway.

Man, at the end there he really took a shitekickin' ! :lol:

And he did seem aware.

Hell, he's some kinda human too, yet to be clarified in the light of history and I don't want to speculate.

There are personality types that are drawn to profits and politics, there is no question, but that's another thread.

HOOEH for the spirit of justice:

April 23, 2009 (better late than never)

It might be political suicide for Harper to ignore the kid now. He'll try to appeal it though; one can't expect an accountant to think like a judge or human rights advocate...

Heck, I bet Harper tries to have that judge fired.

"Political suicide"? That's a laugh.

I just don't sense any outcry from any significant number of Canadians to plunk Omar Khadr back onto Canadian streets.

There would be more political mileage in fighting this than in giving in. There'd be more yet in finding a way to get the whole Khadr family out of Canada once and for all.

-k

I just don't sense any outcry from any significant number of Canadians to plunk Omar Khadr back onto Canadian streets.

I agree with you Kimmy. But my sense is that Canadians probably feel "beaten down" over the whole thing and would just throw their arms up in resignation if he war instantly released. This is especially so following the Federal Court decision that Omar Khadr was badly done by.

There would be more political mileage in fighting this than in giving in. There'd be more yet in finding a way to get the whole Khadr family out of Canada once and for all.

Maybe in late 30's Germany.

Where would you send a Canadian Citizen? Not that you'll ever write Canadian Government policy....

Let Harper expose his fascist tendencies once again. Maybe this time Canadians will see it.

But my sense is that Canadians probably feel "beaten down" over the whole thing and would just throw their arms up in resignation if he war instantly released.

"Beaten down"? Are you from Canada or do you work for Fox News?

You spell like you're from Fox.

As most Canadians who follow this story know, he would not be "instantly released."

Edited by Radsickle

"Political suicide"? That's a laugh.

-k

"Political mileage" ... Only among Harper's core, and that's all there is, and that's why he can't back down. He'll appeal it to stall for time.

I agree with you Kimmy. But my sense is that Canadians probably feel "beaten down" over the whole thing and would just throw their arms up in resignation if he war instantly released. This is especially so following the Federal Court decision that Omar Khadr was badly done by.

I notice you and kimmy both try to scare yourselves by talking about him being instantly released on the street. :lol:

That isn't very likely. He will come back in custody as his charges are not finished being dealt with. They only got far enough to thoroughly embarrass the US with the evidence revealed by their own soldiers.

He can go to court here, be assessed for treatment, hopefully near his own community.

Maybe in late 30's Germany.

Where would you send a Canadian Citizen? Not that you'll ever write Canadian Government policy....

Let Harper expose his fascist tendencies once again. Maybe this time Canadians will see it.

Throwing around the word "fascist" and referencing 1930s Germany in an inane manner makes you sound like a juvenile.

The Khadrs living their own little Krystalnacht? That's rich.

"Political mileage" ... Only among Harper's core, and that's all there is, and that's why he can't back down. He'll appeal it to stall for time.

I strongly doubt that the dislike of the Khadrs is limited to Conservatives. As somebody said elsewhere, let's see what Ignatieff has to say about it. Remember, a Liberal leader got burned sticking his neck out for this family once before.

I notice you and kimmy both try to scare yourselves by talking about him being instantly released on the street. :lol:

That isn't very likely. He will come back in custody as his charges are not finished being dealt with. They only got far enough to thoroughly embarrass the US with the evidence revealed by their own soldiers.

He can go to court here, be assessed for treatment, hopefully near his own community.

Scared? Why would I be? If I lived in the greater Toronto area maybe I'd be more concerned...

As for the possibility of holding him... the article says it's extremely unlikely Canada will have any legal means to put Omar Khadr on trial. How can he be held?

-k

HOOEH for the spirit of justice:

April 23, 2009 (better late than never)

It might be political suicide for Harper to ignore the kid now. He'll try to appeal it though; one can't expect an accountant to think like a judge or human rights advocate...

Heck, I bet Harper tries to have that judge fired.

As he should. The conduct of foreign affairs is not within the purview of a Court. Why should a Court upend the law to protect a dirtbag like Khadr?

Oleg, what business does the Khadr family have in fighting in Afghanistan?

Omar's Dad is Egyptian born. His Mom is Palestine born. He is Canadian born and raised in Pakistan since 1985 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khadr_family).... so what business do they have fighting in Afghanistan except to support their terrorist brothers in Al Qaeda.

Nobody has denied that Omar's father was Al Quaeda, a financier in fact, and little doubt that he took his sons with him, likely from early ages.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/khadr/

This issue has never been about the whole Khadr family, who answer for their own crimes, but about Omar. Omar was 10 in the camps, and 15 when arrested, still too young to legally make his own choices.

The family facts are pretty well known, but tell us nothing about whether a wounded 15 year old Omar Khadr threw a grenade ... a US grenade at that.

This issue has never been about the whole Khadr family, who answer for their own crimes, but about Omar. Omar was 10 in the camps, and 15 when arrested, still too young to legally make his own choices.

The family facts are pretty well known, but tell us nothing about whether a wounded 15 year old Omar Khadr threw a grenade ... a US grenade at that.

Why we in the West welcome and give succor to vermin like them, and Japan won't even let Brazilian guest workers overstay their jobs for a short time is beyond me. It seems we're dedicated to societal suicide.

I have no problem with immigration; in fact I vigorously support it. We don't need to import people that hate us. I can't fathom why you and so many others put the Khadrs rights above those of real Canadians.

In certain respects Canada been dragged down to the level of a third world country?

Who do we blame for this condition?

The federal government and the 'Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

The federal government and Canada's immigration policy?

Or is the federal governments 'Official Multicultural Policy"?

Sounds like whatever it is, is the fault of the federal government or we would not have embarrassing situations as with the Khadr family.

"Decent Canadians should be prepared to be called names by the political correctoids...and in turn tell them to shove it up their rectoid.

Decent Canadian politicians should begin drafting laws to remove the right of Canada to foreign fanatics and criminals. Lets' start by booting out those who spit on the oath of allegiance they took when they became citizens of this country."

I agree with these statements 100%. But what happens if the federal government chooses to ignore common sense and continue on with destructive policies?

Just who do we vote for? What can we do?

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/aldridge060507.htm

I'd say the Multicultural act is probably the single worst "act" ever to disgrace Canada.

It is the insane delusion that operates under the assumption that Cultural and Racial diversity is some sort of strength for canada... alas is the greatest source of tension and log rolling.

It also supports an athmosphere of cultural relativism...

Cultural relativism erroneously claims that each culture has its own distinct but equally valid mode of perception, thought, and choice. "Cultural relativism, the opposite of the idea that moral truth is universal and objective, assures us that there is no such thing as absolute right and wrong. There is only right and wrong as specified by the moral code of each society. Within a particular society, a standard of right and wrong can be inviolate. Cultural relativism maintains that man’s opinion within a given culture defines what is right and wrong".. which is what gives us the insane jokes of Sikh children with daggers in our schools, Punjabi RCMP officers who refuse to wear the traditional hat in lieu of their squalid and grotesque turbans... and it also gives us the obscene spectacle of Mulsim fundamentalists demanding sharia law be installed in muslim districts...

Diversity is a Weakness, and this weakness comes from our strange support of multiculturalism...

Edited by lictor616

In certain respects Canada been dragged down to the level of a third world country?

Who do we blame for this condition?

The federal government and the 'Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

The federal government and Canada's immigration policy?

Or is the federal governments 'Official Multicultural Policy"?

Sounds like whatever it is, is the fault of the federal government or we would not have embarrassing situations as with the Khadr family.

"Decent Canadians should be prepared to be called names by the political correctoids...and in turn tell them to shove it up their rectoid.

Decent Canadian politicians should begin drafting laws to remove the right of Canada to foreign fanatics and criminals. Lets' start by booting out those who spit on the oath of allegiance they took when they became citizens of this country."

I agree with these statements 100%. But what happens if the federal government chooses to ignore common sense and continue on with destructive policies?

Just who do we vote for? What can we do?

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/aldridge060507.htm

Canadian immigration definately needs reform and needs to be tougher. We shouldn't let the kind of scum that sometimes come in here. But Khadr is a Canadian, and yes he should make us ashamed to be Canadian because our gov't has turned their back on him. He should come home and face justice here, not in a foreign torture camp.

Nobody has denied that Omar's father was Al Quaeda, a financier in fact, and little doubt that he took his sons with him, likely from early ages.

You have them all wrong:

While living in Pakistan, we earned a few enemies after my father successfully took Arab leaders to court over Canadian donations that they tried to use for their own purposes. When the Taliban ruled Afghanistan, we earned a few enemies by continuing to build schools for girls and insisting they had a right to be educated. When the Americans invaded Afghanistan, we earned a few enemies by helping resolve disputes between warlords and militants peacefully instead of letting them kill each other. It takes courage to do the right thing, even when it is unpopular. Our father was killed, two of us have been shot in the back, four of us have been captured, two have been tortured. But still we stand.

Our family has committed our lives to building a better Canada, a better Afghanistan, and a better world.

http://www.thekhadrlegacy.com/

:lol:

JBG.. Omar was a child born in Canada to Canadian parents, and welcomed by Canadian grandparents. He's as much a REAL Canadian as I am.

If the rights of that REAL Canadian can be thrown out the window of convenience, than so can the rights of everyone else.

I'm not putting his rights ahead of mine... I'm recognizing that if rights are optional, and should only belong to the folks we happen to be pleased with at the moment, then they don't really exist at all, for anyone.