Shooting Leaves 22 Dead at Virginia Campus

Yeah, yeah, Guthrie, laugh it up, hehehe... I was just proposing what would be an inconspicuous but effective weapon with reach, for when closing with an enemy would be a really bad idea. Hell, they'd be great for joggers in wilderness areas, hehehe...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is guns and it isn't guns. Guns have always been around us. Guns were far more easily available fifty years ago, and people didn't do this sort of thing. Guns were everywhere a century ago, and nobody would have even thought about doing this sort of thing. It's not that guns are too easily available, but that society is too broken down now to allow guns to be available any more. Drugs, the breakup of families, the breakdown of the societal code on violence and self-reliance, poor social skills and socialization experience due to tv, video games, computers, etc. It's all led to a growing number of defective personalities among us.

This will turn out to be some pathetic loser boy who couldn't take rejection, murdered a girl who didn't want him, and then, knowing the police were after him, decided to go out "in a blaze of glory" like those spoiled moronic Columbine losers. Our society is full of slackers who've had life easy, who believe the world owes them a living, and who can't take challenge or rejection. When everything fails to go perfectly they go ballistic and blame everyone; school, family, work, society.

That's why guns shouldn't be around in public any more. Society no longer has the maturity or stability to handle dangerous weapons.

That is likely exactly who this guy was, Argus, and I wouldn't be surprised that his weapons were legally purchased and registered (if required) as well.

I think it is useful to make weapons difficult to get though, and I like some of the suggestions August1991 made in another post about gun control.

I like to think of my own example... I know how to use a weapon. We had some where I lived growing up in the country, and I fine tuned my skills during my brief time in the CAF. However, if I were to 'lose it' any time soon, I wouldn't even know how to get a weapon. I have zero under-world connections so I guess I would visit Lebarons and ask for an FAC application, or whatever it's called. Presumably I would have to take some sort of course and get some sort of license... all before I could even buy a gun! By that time I would likely be out of the killing mood.

I think for the average Canadian leading the average life guns are not even thought of and would be very hard for them to get in the event that they 'lost it' temporarily - which is a good thing.

Making access to guns easy only increases the chances of gun violence during periods of rage or depression, and I don't believe that the threat that other people might be 'packing' will change the actions of one who is acting out of rage or depression.

Have you ever seen someone 'lose it' without a weapon? They go ballistic and often towards people that can easily control them (i.e. cops, bouncers, etc). Their state of mind at the time isn't clear for them to perceive or care about the threat that other people pose... they only want to lash out with the rage that they have. They are not operating with logic when in such a state of mind.

I have to agree with argus - the problem with these young lads, they seem to have many social problems and no responsibility. On the broader compass, the moral decay of liberal societies really tampers with folk’s self-respect, self-worth and dignity of themselves.

Also, the medical sector seems to attach a condition to every symptom. The label sounds like dysfunction and a lifetime of pressure pills to swallow. A mean a usual social problem can be fixed at home with families who care for each other and can support each other.

I just got in from classes at university and was watching the news about this horror - I still don't understand how university kids who are suppose to be wiser with some sort of thinking happening could wind up in such tragic state. I am shocked; it is such a cowardly act....

It is guns and it isn't guns. Guns have always been around us. Guns were far more easily available fifty years ago, and people didn't do this sort of thing. Guns were everywhere a century ago, and nobody would have even thought about doing this sort of thing. It's not that guns are too easily available, but that society is too broken down now to allow guns to be available any more. Drugs, the breakup of families, the breakdown of the societal code on violence and self-reliance, poor social skills and socialization experience due to tv, video games, computers, etc. It's all led to a growing number of defective personalities among us.

This will turn out to be some pathetic loser boy who couldn't take rejection, murdered a girl who didn't want him, and then, knowing the police were after him, decided to go out "in a blaze of glory" like those spoiled moronic Columbine losers. Our society is full of slackers who've had life easy, who believe the world owes them a living, and who can't take challenge or rejection. When everything fails to go perfectly they go ballistic and blame everyone; school, family, work, society.

That's why guns shouldn't be around in public any more. Society no longer has the maturity or stability to handle dangerous weapons.

Well I don't know about that entirely, all too often we like to sit back and talk about how society is degrading and falling to pieces, it seems like a hobby...the left has these immenent malthusian disasters flying at us every ten seconds and the right has us locked in a moral crisis, of extreme degradation of societal values...where the past was some kind of utopian holy land, I swear I want to know what drugs these guys are taking and get some for myself...it must be fun.

Lets face it, the largest mass killing on school grounds, in america, occured in 1927. These whole illussions of lost morality are somewhat misplaced, wether we blame the jews and kill 6 million of them or our girlfriend and kill 30 people is irrelavent. People have never been so great at dealing with emotions, and generally find very destructive outlets for the relief of such problems.

Our society is full of people, nothing more, nothing less, and this has always been the case. People can be hysterical, irrational, emotionally un-sound, and down right ignorant and this is true of all generations and at all times. They also have the capacity to do great things, amazing things and this is also true of all generations and all times. I mean you want to talk about a blaze of glory, lets ride back on out to the wild west.

Please give me a break, lets call it like it is, humans have never truly been very responsible or emotionally sound creatures, we have had and do have some pretty f'ed up ideas and we have done and still do some prett f'ed up things. This desire to blame the present and white wash the past is a fruitless time consuming effort, that does little but provide past generations with a false security blanket to hide under.

Fifty Years ago a man walked on to school property as a suicide bomber and killed himself, his son, and several other students and staff present at the time. Just get off your high horse and come to grips with the fact that the issue of human emotional instability is not relegated to this specific era, unless the era you are refering to is the Cenozoic.

...Lets face it, the largest mass killing on school grounds, in america, occured in 1927. These whole illussions of lost morality are somewhat misplaced, wether we blame the jews and kill 6 million of them or our girlfriend and kill 30 people is irrelavent. People have never been so great at dealing with emotions, and generally find very destructive outlets for the relief of such problems.

Agreed...a voice of reason and perspective. For all of today's media drama and cell phone camera horror, it still does not equal the Bath Township, Michigan bombing in 1927.

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was.

http://www.godhatesamerica.com/

WBC will preach at the funerals of the Virginia Tech students killed on campus during a shooting rampage April 16, 2007. You describe this as monumental horror, but you know nothing of horror -- yet. Your bloody tyrant Bush says he is 'horrified' by it all. You know nothing of horror -- yet. Your true horror is coming. "They shall also gird themselves with sackloth, and horror shall cover them; and shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness upon all their heads" (Eze. 7:18).

I think this qualifies as absolutely disgusting...

WBC will preach at the funerals of the Virginia Tech students killed on campus during a shooting rampage April 16, 2007. You describe this as monumental horror, but you know nothing of horror -- yet. Your bloody tyrant Bush says he is 'horrified' by it all. You know nothing of horror -- yet. Your true horror is coming. "They shall also gird themselves with sackloth, and horror shall cover them; and shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness upon all their heads" (Eze. 7:18).

I don't know about the bible, but certainly unimaginable horror is a short way down the road. It will make this and things like the Spainish Inquistion seem like a side show. Thats guarenteed by two facts (1) We don't make enough food to eat here (2) The countries are in fact going broke. Not only are politicians borrowing money for more war like there is no tomorrow they are also stealing it as well. They are also buying estates in other countries.

Well over 1 trillion dollars has dissapeared since 9/11. Thats enough to buy over 150 fully equiped nuclear powered aircraft carriers at 6 billion a piece. This can only go on for so long.

The people of this country and Canada are stupid beyond believeability because this is allowed to go on. When Cheney and Bush are questioned about this they just say we don't have a right to know. We in Canada are joining them. The North American Union is not a conspiracy theory

A giant part of Torontos police budget is a black budget - they are turning into the CIA North. We know Haliburton is building detention centers all over the continent and we know our governments have a real penchant for torturing people even when they have no evidence against them.

This whole shootiong thing was likely a government op and it will be used to take everyones guns away and distract us further from what is really going on.

I like to think of my own example... I know how to use a weapon. We had some where I lived growing up in the country, and I fine tuned my skills during my brief time in the CAF. However, if I were to 'lose it' any time soon, I wouldn't even know how to get a weapon. I have zero under-world connections so I guess I would visit Lebarons and ask for an FAC application, or whatever it's called.

Unfortunately, they really aren't that hard to come by. Most everyone knows someone who knows someone. And if not, visiting a few bars downtown will usually put you in touch with someone selling them. There are laws against it but they really aren't enforced so the practice of smuggling and selling guns is pretty open.

Have you ever seen someone 'lose it' without a weapon? They go ballistic and often towards people that can easily control them (i.e. cops, bouncers, etc). Their state of mind at the time isn't clear for them to perceive or care about the threat that other people pose... they only want to lash out with the rage that they have. They are not operating with logic when in such a state of mind.

I agree that when someone loses it having a gun around is a bad idea.

This will turn out to be some pathetic loser boy who couldn't take rejection, murdered a girl who didn't want him, and then, knowing the police were after him, decided to go out "in a blaze of glory" like those spoiled moronic Columbine losers.
A century ago, this pathetic loser boy would have probably been taken out a little earlier at a card table. That could also explain why we never observed as much mass murder in the past.
I'm a college instructor, and I agree with Geoffrey - I don't want to see guns on campus. The whole idea is crazy - why would anyone need a gun at a school?
They would not need to each carry a gun. There can concievably be a cheaper and more effective way.

Would you feel safer if every hallway or every class-room had an armed security guard? I would.

As a liberal, I believe I should be able to trust my fellow citizens with potentially dangerous devices, up to a point. As a citizen, I should be trusted with any device that is not inherently dangerous. By inherently I mean that it would be dangerous even if I am not negligent, reckless or malevolent. Like radioactive substances, wild animals, or gaseous poisons.
I am stumped because I suspect that you are being sarcastic.

I will respond assuming that you are NOT sarcastic: you should trust your fellow citizens up to a point where they are bearing the full cost of those potentially dangerous devices.

My answer to people who oppose gun control is to ask: where do you draw the line? Should an individual have the right to own a tactical nuclear weapon? How about an RPG?
For the life of me, I can not understand why you would fear an individual owning any of those? It is no wonder that currently only statesmen seem to have a need or a use or a budget to afford nuclear weapons or rocket-propelled grenades.

Your questions are as valid as asking: "Should an individual have the right to own a space shuttle? How about an AdScam?" Even better: "Should an individual have the right to go to war?"

Anyway, the answer to your questions is simple: Yes to all of them.

Here is a challenge for you: why not?

Dear God I almost agree with Poly.... Va Tech is about a days drive away from me I feel terrible for the families of these people. what a tragedy. However as I always say and nobody seems to get its not guns that kill people its the will to use them on people that does the killing. Instead of targeting guns we should require psych profiles at the owners expense before he/she purchases a gun of ANY kind. Ive always said that. Like breeding, some people just shouldn't do it. As a gun owner I can tell you right now if the government tries to take away the right to bare arms they will never find my guns. I will not live without the ability to defend myself.

I have to agree with argus - the problem with these young lads, they seem to have many social problems and no responsibility. On the broader compass, the moral decay of liberal societies really tampers with folk’s self-respect, self-worth and dignity of themselves.

I call absolute nonsense to both your and Argus's comments. The boys from Columbine were NOT from a broken home, they were from an entitled community. There was a school shooting in Amish community for pete's sake.

These type of actions are the result of glorifaction of; war and violence, and the denigration of people's worth into nothing more than human capital at best, and scum of the earth at worst. And ALL these ideologies are derived from the right of centre, capitalistic, intolerant, war/violence mongering, misogynist, xenophobes in our society. These things are the REAL things that tamper with 'folks self respect, self worth and dignity.

But good try on trying to foster the blame onto other's shoulders, when it is the military industrialiat complex and capitalists and those who uphold them like the media and persons that utilize propaganda that promotes intolerance and denigrates and diminishes peoples, who are the ones who are at fault in these types of incidences.

BTW, I heard there were 2 separate shooters, and why were the cops carrying dead bodies out by their hands and ankles, that seems a tad weird, eh?

One the globalists have got their gun laws in place they will start shipping in guns with their drugs so the criminals get them. Then we can be law abiding citizens and all ine up to be shot.

All you have to do is educate yourself on this "war on drugs" to know that its the governments bringing drugs in.

These type of actions are the result of glorifaction of; war and violence, and the denigration of people's worth into nothing more than human capital at best, and scum of the earth at worst. And ALL these ideologies are derived from the right of centre, capitalistic, intolerant, war/violence mongering, misogynist, xenophobes in our society. These things are the REAL things that tamper with 'folks self respect, self worth and dignity.

Errr, pardon me, but the glorification of war has been around since, oh, 5000 BC or so, and in fact it is only since the war to end all wars that it has fallen out of favor in the western psyche. This is a rant straight out of one of Lenin's polemics matched with the entire bumper sticker litany of the "progressive" left. It's erroneous in its facts and amounts to hysterical mudflinging.

Errr, pardon me, but the glorification of war has been around since, oh, 5000 BC or so, and in fact it is only since the war to end all wars that it has fallen out of favor in the western psyche. This is a rant straight out of one of Lenin's polemics matched with the entire bumper sticker litany of the "progressive" left. It's erroneous in its facts and amounts to hysterical mudflinging.

It is not a rant, it is quite the truth, and you have supported it with your commentary actually. It did fall out of favour since WWI and NOW it has recommenced and NOW we are seeing the results of its resurrgence. intolerance breeds intolerance.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Lenin anything, and that is a great example of a rant actually too good job scotta, you made 2 points against yourself in 2 paragraphs.

In fact, it has more to do with the increasing amounts of UR (eternal) Fascism in the USA and now incoming into Canada with the advent of the radical right war/violence mongering and intolerance.

It is not a rant, it is quite the truth, and you have supported it with your commentary actually. It did fall out of favour since WWI and NOW it has recommenced and NOW we are seeing the results of its resurrgence. intolerance breeds intolerance.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Lenin anything, and that is a great example of a rant actually too good job scotta, you made 2 points against yourself in 2 paragraphs.

In fact, it has more to do with the increasing amounts of UR (eternal) Fascism in the USA and now incoming into Canada with the advent of the radical right war/violence mongering and intolerance.

I don't know where to begin. I'm sorry you're not aware of the leninist overtones to your rant, but they are rather starkly present. You probably won't know it, come to think of it, given that it long ago seeped into the bumpersticker culture of the left and has become part of the underlying background noise after 40 or so years, along with black lights, lava lamps and Che posters. Some of the early 70s radical "philosophers" paraphrased Lenin without attributing it or, presumably, recognizing it too.

I don't know why you think war is coming into favor these days, and I certainly don't see why you would attribute it to "eternal fascism" instead of the eternal Islamists who started it, but whatever...

Exactly why did you throw in the bumper sticker slogan "intolerance breeds intolerance"? It's about as relevant as "yeast breeds bread".

What is "radical right war/violence mongering and intolerance."? Just for the record.

Actually scotta you are making things up in your mind. And again for the 3rd time you have defeated you own argument with:

Exactly why did you throw in the bumper sticker slogan "intolerance breeds intolerance"? It's about as relevant as "yeast breeds bread".

It is as relevant as yeast breeds bread. Great analogy, for my position, thank you.

Now perhaps you and others should read and learn truths as opposed to false myths.

Elliott Leyton Ph.D. (born 1939 in Leader, Saskatchewan) is a Canadian social-anthropologist, educator and author who, according to the CTV television News network, is probably the world's most widely consulted expert on serial homicide.

A research Fellow at Queen's University of Belfast in Ireland, Professor Leyton has held faculty positions there and at the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario; University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland; Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel; and at Memorial University of Newfoundland where he is Professor Emeritus of anthropology.

Professor Leyton has served as president of the Canadian Sociology and Anthropology Association.

Leyton earned B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of British Columbia then went on to obtain his Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Toronto in 1972. During his ensuing career, he dedicated himself to the analysis and research of social ills such as juvenile delinquency and the psychology behind perpetrators of serial killings. Leyton's achieved level of expertise has led to his giving lectures at the College of Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Ottawa.

The author/editor of eleven books and numerous scholarly essays for academic journals, Professor Leyton 's 1986 landmark study Hunting Humans is an international bestseller in multiple languages that was reprinted in 1995 and again in 2005. It won the 1987 Arthur Ellis Award for best new crime book. Professor Leyton travelled to Rwanda in the fall of 1996 where he studied the Rwandan genocide that spawned his 1998 book, Touched By Fire: Doctors Without Borders in a Third World Crisis.

In 2004, a National Film Board of Canada film about Professor Leyton's life's work titled The Man Who Studies Murder, was premiered at the Montreal Film Festival and aired on CBC Television’s The Nature of Things. Frequently consulted by the media, Professor Leyton was interviewed by CBC Newsworld on September 14th, 2006 about the Dawson College shooting in Montreal. He stated that because all three such murderous rampages in Quebec involved a killer who was either an immigrant or a child of immigrants, it warranted an examination of government and societal attitudes that can profoundly impact immigrant perceptions and hence their conduct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Leyton

Leyton on Virgina shooting:

...as the war winds down, the murder rates climb, reflecting the morally polluting effect that war has on a society. He predicted that as the US war in Iraq winds down, murders and slaughter like the one today in Virginia will increase.

cbc.ca/news

Actually scotta you are making things up in your mind. And again for the 3rd time you have defeated you own argument with:

It is as relevant as yeast breeds bread. Great analogy, for my position, thank you.

Now perhaps you and others should read and learn truths as opposed to false myths.

Elliott Leyton Ph.D. (born 1939 in Leader, Saskatchewan) is a Canadian social-anthropologist, educator and author who, according to the CTV television News network, is probably the world's most widely consulted expert on serial homicide.

A research Fellow at Queen's University of Belfast in Ireland, Professor Leyton has held faculty positions there and at the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario; University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland; Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel; and at Memorial University of Newfoundland where he is Professor Emeritus of anthropology.

Professor Leyton has served as president of the Canadian Sociology and Anthropology Association.

Leyton earned B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of British Columbia then went on to obtain his Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Toronto in 1972. During his ensuing career, he dedicated himself to the analysis and research of social ills such as juvenile delinquency and the psychology behind perpetrators of serial killings. Leyton's achieved level of expertise has led to his giving lectures at the College of Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Ottawa.

The author/editor of eleven books and numerous scholarly essays for academic journals, Professor Leyton 's 1986 landmark study Hunting Humans is an international bestseller in multiple languages that was reprinted in 1995 and again in 2005. It won the 1987 Arthur Ellis Award for best new crime book. Professor Leyton travelled to Rwanda in the fall of 1996 where he studied the Rwandan genocide that spawned his 1998 book, Touched By Fire: Doctors Without Borders in a Third World Crisis.

In 2004, a National Film Board of Canada film about Professor Leyton's life's work titled The Man Who Studies Murder, was premiered at the Montreal Film Festival and aired on CBC Television’s The Nature of Things. Frequently consulted by the media, Professor Leyton was interviewed by CBC Newsworld on September 14th, 2006 about the Dawson College shooting in Montreal. He stated that because all three such murderous rampages in Quebec involved a killer who was either an immigrant or a child of immigrants, it warranted an examination of government and societal attitudes that can profoundly impact immigrant perceptions and hence their conduct.

Leyton on Virgina shooting:

...as the war winds down, the murder rates climb, reflecting the morally polluting effect that war has on a society. He predicted that as the US war in Iraq winds down, murders and slaughter like the one today in Virginia will increase.

cbc.ca/news

It's not at all clear to me why you put this biography up here. To give credence to some old academic's "prediction"? He blames immigrants AND the war? What does Rwanda have to do with Virginia Tech? What does yeast breeding bread have to do with any of it? How silly.

Would you feel safer if every hallway or every class-room had an armed security guard? I would.

I wouldn't feel safer at all. That sounds like an armed fortress, feeding on paranoia, waiting to explode, rather than a campus devoted to learning. Learning can't happen when you are looking over your shoulder all day, focused on real or imagined threats rather than on studying; armed guards would just constantly reinforce the perceived need to be on edge.

For the life of me, I can not understand why you would fear an individual owning any of those? It is no wonder that currently only statesmen seem to have a need or a use or a budget to afford nuclear weapons or rocket-propelled grenades.

Your questions are as valid as asking: "Should an individual have the right to own a space shuttle? How about an AdScam?" Even better: "Should an individual have the right to go to war?"

Anyway, the answer to your questions is simple: Yes to all of them.

Here is a challenge for you: why not?

Unstable individuals with guns and their own agendas are deadly, that's why. Stable individuals in urban settings have no need for guns, and have more constructive means of resolving their problems. The same thing goes for stable and unstable governments - if the unstable ones didn't have them, the stable ones wouldn't need them.

Again for your closer reading, scotta, as perhaps critical thinking skills are beyond you, the man is a world renowned expert on serial killers of this type. His life time works shows quite clearly the relationship between war and violence and this type of activity, and it also shows intolerance towards others is a huge factor.

Halmarks of the USA right now are war and increased intolerance. And it is increasing in Canada driven by those like yourself, who are, or appear to be intolerant xenophobes. He has 11 books out on his studies, and findings, how many do you have?

Leyton on the recent Virgina shooting:

cbc.ca/news

cbc.ca/news

I see you have nothing to post that could give you any credibility, or any credibility that it is not intolerance and war that are the rpomoters of this type of mass shooting?

Again why were the police slagging bodies out by the ankles and legs, they disrupted the crime and disrepected the bodies?

I have no comment on the gun control issue. I guess all I've been able to really do is listen and watch to the stories of those that survived and those that didn't.

Is there a lesson to be learned? Perhaps. However, it probably won't come from the person responsible. Whatever ate away at his mind will likely never be understood.

There certainly were lessons in courage and sacrifice by those at the school. The faces of the students and faculty also show the horror, the fear and the relief of surviving.

In the next days and weeks, I think sober thought on how to both recognize and deal with potential violent offenders should be considered. In this case, it appears that people recognized the problem but seemed to be helpless in dealing with it. It is quite tragic.