Chavez calls Bush War Criminal

Leafless

From the polls I've seen, Canadians view China with about as much favorability as they view Bush, so Chavez may have better numbers than Bush even in Canada. At least he leads a democracy.

Didn't Chavez attempt a coup d'etat.

If Canadian's view China as favorably as they view America then they need a serious kick in the ass. Their probably just ignorant about the world outside of Canada and the US.

Duruing this time of the 'Venezuelan Coup D'etat' , the United States has invaded and occupied, two countries, bombing runs on other countries around the world. But that is to spread FREEDOM right??

OH FFS people. Wake up please.

This might be where you are seeing it wrong. Venezuelan citizens are giving this power to Chavez. They voted on it, and said yes to it. NOT ONE SINGLE AMERICAN CITIZEN CAN OR HAS EVEN GIVEN BUSH THE POWERS HE HAS SOUGHT AND GOT. Executive Orders and just that. He makes the rules. Bush is the 'decider', just as long as he is the dictator.

Ok, now your turn.

Bush does not have the power to seize an industry like Chavez is doing to the oil industry. Bush does not have the power to shut down a TV station he doesn't like as Chavez is doing. It wasn't the Venzuelan people who are giving the powers to Chavez, it is their Congress. Their people had no say.

This might be where you are seeing it wrong. Venezuelan citizens are giving this power to Chavez. They voted on it, and said yes to it. NOT ONE SINGLE AMERICAN CITIZEN CAN OR HAS EVEN GIVEN BUSH THE POWERS HE HAS SOUGHT AND GOT. Executive Orders and just that. He makes the rules. Bush is the 'decider', just as long as he is the dictator.

Ok, now your turn.

Bush does not have the power to seize an industry like Chavez is doing to the oil industry. Bush does not have the power to shut down a TV station he doesn't like as Chavez is doing. It wasn't the Venzuelan people who are giving the powers to Chavez, it is their Congress. Their people had no say.

AHH so both Venezuela and the US are very similar in many ways. Stop being a hypocrite. So in a way you have just proven that Bush and Chavez are very similar in many many ways. Bush has the power to nationalize oil/gas/energy, but the 'bankers' and 'oilmen' won't let it get out of their control. Big business owns the government in the United States. Chavez wants to turn that table around for Venezuela. I really don't see a bad thing about that. That money could be used to fund a nationwide health care system that is free for all. In the US people pay for health care out the ass and the oilmen are still getting rich. Exxon and Shell have both posted the best years in profits for the last year.

So Bush/Chavez

- both get approval from congress.

- both can make executive orders without a vote by the people it will effect.

- claim each other is a criminal.

- there have to be more points here about the similarities.

You'd think you were looking at the same person when it is on paper.

Bush does have all those powers you talk off. In the form of Executive Orders.

In a years time there will be an election in the US and a new president will be elected. There will probably be new policy written, new faces in the white house. So don't sweat it. We are living in the western world, we are benefiting from the spoils of the western world.

Have any of you ever lived in Venezuela?

Didn't think so.

Enjoy your internet and peaceful walk to the store for milk.

In a years time there will be an election in the US and a new president will be elected. There will probably be new policy written, new faces in the white house. So don't sweat it. We are living in the western world, we are benefiting from the spoils of the western world.

Didn't think so.

No kidding. I wonder when Chavez will peacefully leave office. Probably when they carry his body out the door. Bush, however, will go when his term is up.

The Bush comparison is laughable gost, except you really believe the nonsense you are typing.

Didn't think so.

No kidding. I wonder when Chavez will peacefully leave office. Probably when they carry his body out the door. Bush, however, will go when his term is up.

The Bush comparison is laughable gost, except you really believe the nonsense you are typing.

I am hoping you all read the part where he is only to have these powers for the next 18 months. I will still say that Bush won the election by way of a botched diebolded scam in Florida.

Chavez has received sweeping new powers for the next 18 months. He plans to seize control of the oil industry, and is warning Chevron, Shell, and the rest to get ready for it. He would like them to remain minority partners of their own investments! And he will do it and close down tv stations he doesn't like. Any comments to that, or would you rather just bushbash.

Chavez and the people of Venezula can do whatever they want with THEIR resources .. no differently than America or Canada does whatevr they want with theirs. The people of Venezula can bestow whatever powers they want to THEIR leader.

The oil corporations have made more money than God has since the invasion of Iraq. Perhaps Chavez has been reading Thomas Jefferson who declared that freedom from corporations was a basic human right.

It is hypocritical of you to find nothing wrong with the people of Venezuela bestowing whatever powers they want to THEIR leader and out the other side of your mouth proclaim how evil the U.S. is when they have only done the exact same thing.

Not that I'm surprised, but you can't tell up from down.

Too bad the American people and those who understand things like "signing statements don't agree with you.

Not that I'm surprised.

Perhaps you can point out where Chavez or Venezula has EVER attempted to control ANY American resource .. but then again, you aren't too good at pointing shit out. Noticed that you didn't/couldn't actually debate anything I posted.

Bluster seems to be your best debating assest.

Chavez has received sweeping new powers for the next 18 months. He plans to seize control of the oil industry, and is warning Chevron, Shell, and the rest to get ready for it. He would like them to remain minority partners of their own investments! And he will do it and close down tv stations he doesn't like. Any comments to that, or would you rather just bushbash.

They will party like it's 1934......

While I'm not a big fan of Chavez who does seem to be steadily evolving toward becoming a regular leftist dictator a la Castro, in my view of the world Bush and his immediate associates will be liable to criminal prosecution for the illegal war they started in Iraq. The only way to eliminate wars as an instrument of politics is to make individuals, not countries, directly and criminally responsible for their actions.

• 3 weeks later...

i perfectly agree with chavez. bush has made it legal to torture pow's and suspected terrorists, suspended habeas corpus on terrorism charges, he has used phosporus weapons in iraq contrary to the geneva convention, he(his masters) completely fabricated the evidence for a war in iraq WHERE'S THE EVIDENCE, he gave himself executive authority, he defined terrorism as anything.

straight from the patriot act

`(5) the term `domestic terrorism' means activities that--

`(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

`(B) appear to be intended--

`(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

`(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or

so wait, if the citizens try to change the governments policy it is and act of domestic terrorism? if anyone tried to change the way of the population that would also be illegal? and any act that is dangerous towards a humand life, like what smoking? do you see how broad these terms our. it's even worse when in a g*d damn legal document they use "appear to be intended" ...this whole thing is just an excuse to control us..

he RIGGED both election, etc, etc, etc

if ww3 is the only way to stop this empirical war machine, so be it.

your guess is as good as mine. it doesn't automatically validate his past actions, perhaps he didnt care about the mid term because he has given himself presedential authority. how about adressing the legalization of the torture, the use of incindiary weapons, and an unjust war...maybe its just me but those all seem to be alot more important to me ;\

and the supposed issue between the republicans and the democrats is the war. even though there a majority of dissaproval that didn't stop them from sending 21, 000 more troops. does that sound very democratic to you?

No, but having a democratic majority in both houses does nothing helpful for the Bush presidency. As well to lose both houses will hurt Bush's agenda.

I doubt he rigged the election, Gore should have won the 2000 election, however it was the judiciary who in the end decided the outcome. If Bush really rigged the election he would have made it so at the very least he won the popular vote. As for the last election, Bush won the popular vote, I've got no beefs.

The American system is flawed, but as for both elections being rigged, probably not.

your guess is as good as mine. it doesn't automatically validate his past actions, perhaps he didnt care about the mid term because he has given himself presedential authority. how about adressing the legalization of the torture, the use of incindiary weapons, and an unjust war...maybe its just me but those all seem to be alot more important to me ;\

Which is why I'm so perplexed that so many people go after theories which have little merit, instead of bringing about effective criticism of what the president has done. So many threads have been brought up which don't even address what President Bush HAS done which is wrong.

to be honest with you, ive never read that much into it. im not even sure if this is in the realm of possibility but ive had an inkling since the war in iraq started. couldn't he stay in power and justify it because the country is at war? he gave himself presedential authority, which is the power to do anything.

bush also

-made it legal to tap phones without a warrant

-made it mandatory for phone companies to monitor phone conversations

and if you read the patriot act you will find about 800 ammendments that contradict the constitution

If I had to choose between Bush or Chavez, I'd choose Bush, much more democratic.

Both men have been in close elections. Bushes first election was the most controversial in Florida. Chavez has had close opposition campaigns and one US backed coup attempt. Yet he plays to the crowd and gets the votes.

Didn't Chavez attempt a coup d'etat.

Yup

After an extended period of popular dissatisfaction and economic decline[12] under the administration of President Carlos Andrés Pérez and the violent repression known as El Caracazo,[13] Chávez made extensive preparations for a military coup d'état.[14] Initially planned for December, Chávez delayed the MBR-200 coup until the early twilight hours of February 4, 1992. On that date, five army units under Chávez's command barreled into urban Caracas with the mission of assaulting and overwhelming key military and communications installations throughout the city, including the Miraflores presidential palace, the defense ministry, La Carlota military airport, and the Historical Museum. Chávez's ultimate goal was to intercept and take custody of Pérez, who was returning to Miraflores from an overseas trip.

Chávez, alarmed, soon gave himself up to the government. He was then allowed to appear on national television to call for all remaining rebel detachments in Venezuela to cease hostilities. When he did so, Chávez famously quipped on national television that he had only failed "por ahora" (for the moment).[19] Chávez was catapulted into the national spotlight, with many poor Venezuelans seeing him as a figure who had stood up against government corruption and kleptocracy.[20][21] Chávez was sent to Yare prison; meanwhile, Pérez, the coup's intended target, was impeached a year later.

Courtesy of Wiki.