Fifteen Minutes of Fame

August1991

...some say that Krut Cobain was brilliant - that dumb junky was not a success - because he is dead - and so is Jackson - success is dying in your bed an old man..with a very very long career behind you. Yes he was like Elvis - a phoney. He was an illusion. Perhaps there is a space now for someone real to emerge?

They are dead because they never separated reality from the fantasy.....never accepted an afterlife in the suburbs. They fell in love with their own hype. I am sure we will create another Golden Calf to worship and ultimately destroy, but it won't be through record sales.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are dead because they never separated reality from the fantasy.....never accepted an afterlife in the suburbs. They fell in love with their own hype. I am sure we will create another Golden Calf to worship and ultimately destroy, but it won't be through record sales.

Every Madonna loving girly man on my block went out and bought every Jackson recording available. Death seems to thrill the eccentric fanatic. The only kind of music I like is good music - I don't care if it's jazz,classical or pop..it has to have soul..with the advent of multi-track recording and now extended tracking with every effect available--- it's aboput production - I can make a howling dog sound like a star. The acid test is this - can an artist sit down with one guitar ni your living room and create magic? Can they stand there and sing a tune un-aided and win your heart. The average person does not understand that it's easy to impress with todays technology..One kid at home with a couple of high end mikes and a computer can create orchestrations...IF he knows what he is doing...I as a younger person got caught up in the tech of my day - and over production kills a good tune or makes it better...Like I said - one person one voice - one good tune...and the rest is non-sense.

Hey man, you're kind of making my point - ie. the talented aren't always the remembered.

Ask persons on the street who Tom Waits is and 7/10 won't know. But they all know who Britney Spears is.

If your standard for greatness is mass appeal, throw Jackson in with Mozart and "Lethal Weapon 2".

Listen, my post was related to putting Mozart up on a pedastal above Jackson. To me their musical abilities rival eachother - as do their lives.

Child musical prodigy turned whacko.

Anyway, taste is taste. But I'm entiotled top my opinoin and you can't change is because someone happened to be around longer.

My measure of greatness is mass appeal, over time.

If someone in China today likes the sound of

(trust me, check this link) over 300 years after he composed it, then I would call that talented, and deserving of true celebrity.

What I like about Mozart in particular is that people today listen to him not because it's Mozart but because it's good. I offered

before. It was composed at the end of Mozart's life and it is hard not to hear it as Mozart asking God why he exists. The clarinette asks the question and then the orchestra asks too.

It's an intriguing, beautiful piece for people who know nothing about Mozart, clarinettes or orchestras. It also has a pop melody/hook.

----

Jerry, Ramesses II understood that true fame amounts to what lasts into the future. He put his hieroglyph/capsule/stamp under every single monument at Luxor. Celebrity, fifteen minutes of fame is one thing, but true fame is something else. What good do we leave to the future?

Mozart was buried anonymously in an unmarked grave near Vienna. He lived and died as a popular composer of the late 18th century. Like Ramesses II, Mozart left his mark on this world - but unlike Ramesses II, Mozart's mark was not merely a signal or capsule. It was a gift to the future that has endured. Similarly, all of us today had an ancestor who lived when Mozart (and Ramssess II) lived. Those ancestors survived and left to the future something remarkable: They gave us life. We all have an ancestor alive at the time of Mozart, and Ramssess II and who survived.

In 2210, maybe people will listen to "Let It Be" as they now listen to

and maybe they'll say, "I know that!" without knowing who composed the music. Who knows?

Well, I know one thing: People in 2210 will be thankful for life and their ancestors who lived in 2010. If you don't have kids, or don't teach them or leave something good anonymously, you're not part of the game. Such is fame.

Edited by August1991

• 5 months later...

B-list actress Brittany Murphy has died at age 32 of cardiac arrest.

Murphy began appearing on TV series as a 15 year old and had a considerable list of credits before she was 20, most notably as one of Alicia Silverstone's pals in Clueless. In the early to middle part of this decade, she appeared to be on her way to being on her way to success, with prominent roles in a number of movies. But something changed, and her career has not been thriving for several years, amid reports of drug problems and anorexia. She was recently fired from one production, and was reportedly such a trainwreck at another that she couldn't remember her lines and lost consciousness at one point. In recent photographs, she looks like a shell of the adorable girl with the megawatt smile that she used to be.

Fruity celebrity blogger Perez Hilton is saying what everybody else is thinking:

"We, and those who knew Brittany personally, saw this coming. That does not make this any less horrible."

"Lindsay Lohan and Courtney Love take note: that could have been YOU!"

As with Tiger Woods and cocktail waitresses (allegedly), so with Brittany Murphy and hard drugs (allegedly). I wonder what was missing from her life that she needed to ruin herself with narcotics?

-k

She's someone who used up her 15 minutes (hence the mention in this thread.)

She was involved in some successful projects once upon a time, but lately has been paying the bills with voice-acting work for cartoons and video games. So I guess by your standards that would make her "very bankable." :P

-k

I first saw her in Clueless, when I was just a kimlet.

I last saw her in Sin City, which is probably the last thing most people saw her in. (Aside from her long-time role as the voice of Luanne on King Of The Hill, of course.)

-k

She's someone who used up her 15 minutes (hence the mention in this thread.)

Most of us live far longer without any fame at all.

She was involved in some successful projects once upon a time, but lately has been paying the bills with voice-acting work for cartoons and video games. So I guess by your standards that would make her "very bankable."

I think Ed Asner has her beat on that account.

Guest American Woman

Most of us live far longer without any fame at all.

That's the truth.

I enjoyed her in lighthearted movies like Uptown Girls and Just Married, and she was also good in more serious movies such as Girl Interrupted and Don't Say a Word and then there was her voice work in Happy Feet, a movie which I thought was really cute.

I think Ed Asner has her beat on that account.

She was never a star of Asner's caliber, but at the same time, she certainly had more than "fifteen minutes of fame" in her short life.

Edited by American Woman

That's the truth.

I enjoyed her in lighthearted movies like Uptown Girls and Just Married, and she was also good in more serious movies such as Girl Interrupted and Don't Say a Word and then there was her voice work in Happy Feet, a movie which I thought was really cute.

She was never a star of Asner's caliber, but at the same time, she certainly had more than "fifteen minutes of fame" in her short life.

Yeah, I'm not particularly a fan, but her career does not qualify as the famed "fiteen minutes" scenario.

That distinction applies to the majority of reality-tv stars, Joe the Plumber, etc.

• 2 months later...

Corey Haim, best known for his 1987 role in the teen vampire flick "The Lost Boys", has died at age 38. As you'd expect when someone this age dies unexpectedly, drugs are being speculated as a possible cause, and Haim has battled drug problems in the past.

Corey Haim appeared with Corey Feldman in a number of teen films (including The Lost Boys), as well as a recent "Reality TV" series chronicling the adventures of the former child stars.

Oddly, Toronto taxpayers may be picking up the tab for Haim's funeral.

Update: No they're not.

Haim, who died on Wednesday at 38, became a screen heartthrob after starring in vampire film The Lost Boys in 1987. The troubled star filed for bankruptcy in 1997.

Small point of order... I thought Jason Patric was the heart-throb, while the two Coreys portrayed dorks.

-k

Small point of order... I thought Jason Patric was the heart-throb, while the two Coreys portrayed dorks.

-k

Corey who? The wikipedia article confused me further. The Lost Boys? Never heard of it. Jason Patric? Never heard of him.

Good catch, Kimmy.

---

I have spent the last few days in Italy as a tourist guide for friends. We went through the Palace of the Doge in Venice where there are large portraits on the wall of several Doges - just as there are now portraits of past presidents in the White House.

Tourists walk by these once powerful men and give about as much attention as I to Jason Patric or Corey Haim.

No, but the ancient souls of several Doges may get your point, Kimmy.

My point? Michael Hardner more or less hit it with the Fess Parker reference.

Still trying to fathom that someone in North America could have never heard of "The Lost Boys". It gets played 5 times on every English-language tv station in the country during October every year.

Perhaps the French stations play a different movie 5 times every Halloween... perhaps a movie about two unattractive vampires sitting in an ugly Paris apartment sipping Merlot and trying to reconcile their eternal damnation with Sartre's philosophies.

IMV, this question of celebrity or fame is broader than Corey Haim.

Of course. Let's just call Corey Haim's death, and the reaction to it, a case study.

And I think that at its core, it's not so much that people care about Corey Haim. It's more that the event is a reminder of the passage of time.

I was Christmas shopping in December and the store I was at had cases of Pop Shoppe soda near the cash register lineup. The two people in line were delighted. Thrilled! "I haven't seen these forever!" "I thought they went out of business in the 1980s!" They both grabbed a case, with one proclaiming that her brother was going to freak out when he saw it.

Personally, the Pop Shoppe means nothing to me. Pop Shoppe had been out of business for a long time. The brand disappeared and many entirely adequate replacements filled its place in the market without anybody noticing. Its reappearance is apparently driven entirely by nostalgia. The shoppers behind me had been living their lives perfectly well without Pop Shoppe soda for many years, but seeing this long-dead brand reappear spoke to them. It reminded them of a time when they were younger, better looking, more carefree, perhaps happier. This simple bit of nostalgia-- outdated pop-bottle packaging-- spoke to them in a way that made them happy.

And I suspect that for many people now saddened by Corey Haim's death, the influence is the same. Haim, like Pop Shoppe, had been out of peoples' lives for many many years, and this sudden reappearance reminded them of a time when they were younger, better looking, more carefree, perhaps happier. Haim's death is probably a reminder for many people that like Haim they are now older, worse looking, less carefree, and perhaps less happy.

-k

Edited by kimmy

• 1 year later...

Her name is Rebecca Black.

Last week she was an anonymous 13 year old kid. This week, she's an international phenomenon.

The story, as I understand it, is that Rebecca's parents purchased a song and music video for her. Like, they spent $2000 to hire a company to make a music video starring Rebecca. The result is what some people consider to be possibly the worst song and the worst music video of all time. The badness is has become so legendary that in just a week, over 26 million people have flocked to Youtube to see the carnage for themselves.

It has taken the internet by storm. It is spreading like wildfire. People are getting on Facebook and Twitter and telling their friends "OMG, you have to watch this hilarious video I just saw." People are creating animated GIF images and screen-captures from the the video, with hilarious captions. In the same way that "Soldiers with guns. In our cities. In Canada. We did not make this up." spawned a new form of Canadian haiku, making fun of Rebecca Black's terrible video has become a social activity in its own right, a group project for the internet community.

It's hard to feel too bad for Rebecca, however, because her horrible song is now a top-20 seller on Itunes. :blink:

Given that we now live in a world were being a talentless moron can make you a large sum of money in just a few days, I have decided to spend more time thinking about how to cash in on the popularity of idiocy.

Friday, by Rebecca Black

7am, waking up in the morning

Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs

Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal

Seein’ everything, the time is goin’

Tickin’ on and on, everybody’s rushin’

Gotta get down to the bus stop

Gotta catch my bus, I see my friends (My friends)

Kickin’ in the front seat

Sittin’ in the back seat

Gotta make my mind up

Which seat can I take?

It’s Friday, Friday

Gotta get down on Friday

Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend

Friday, Friday

Gettin’ down on Friday

Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)